• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny's raids will not support online matchmaking with random players.

Sorry, I'm not totally familiar with the various modes, but is this one of the multiplayer modes that didn't require PS Plus?

If so, is this news? I thought all of the modes that didn't require Plus also didn't offer matchmaking. I kinda figured the matchmaking is specifically what made a particular mode require Plus or not. Isn't the whole thing technically multiplayer, with only the matchmaking sections of the game walled off to Plus? I wanna say they're called Crucible and Strike, maybe? Something like that.

mcfrank

Sorry, I'm not totally familiar with the various modes, but is this one of the multiplayer modes that didn't require PS Plus?

If so, is this news? I thought all of the modes that didn't require Plus also didn't offer matchmaking. I kinda figured the matchmaking is specifically what made a particular mode require Plus or not. Isn't the whole thing technically multiplayer, with only the matchmaking sections of the game walled off to Plus? I wanna say they're called Crucible and Strike, maybe? Something like that.

This is the highest level content in the game. 6 player content harder than strikes. The video in the OP has all of the info.

Karl Hawk

Banned

Actually, Raids, Strikes and PvP require PS+. Story and Explore modes don't require PS+

It would be a real innovative feature to have a group suspend/pause function. If raids are going to be hours long even having all your regular mates together will have real life interruptions.

It's time multiplayer coop like this got pausing and group continuing online done right. Bungie you know what to do.

LukeSmith

It would be a real innovative feature to have a group suspend/pause function. If raids are going to be hours long even having all your regular mates together will have real life interruptions.

It's time multiplayer coop like this got pausing and group continuing online done right. Bungie you know what to do.

We store insertion points for you each week.

You can resume where you and your group left off. That way, you can play an encounter or two, call it a night, get back together and pick up later in the week.

Each week, your progress and loot eligibility is reset.
(A given encounter only rewards players once a week)

Two Words

You can resume where you and your group left off. That way, you can play an encounter or two, call it a night, get back together and pick up later in the week.

Well that was a quick response. Is this one of the reasons for no matchmaking? I'm assuming you can't sub in new players in the save state.

Been wondering about this. Thanks, Luke.

Oh, and this just popped into my head: Are we boss-locked or only loot-locked when we kill a boss? It'd be nice to jump into a friend's group if they need another player for a boss I've already killed that week, even if I can't win loot from it.

mcfrank

Well that was a quick response. Is this one of the reasons for no matchmaking? I'm assuming you can't sub in new players in the save state.

In some MMOs you get locked to a boss, so if I join a friends raid and kill boss three, I could later join a different raid and kill boss 1 and 2.

Other MMOs you get locked to the Raid ID, so if you join at boss 3 and kill it, then you lose out on boss 1 and 2 that week.

Is great to know that there is a save system in place. That should alleviate some of the issues with time commitment.

It also opens up the possibility for vendors or vault access at these locations.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
For real though. The inclusion of insertion points makes the absence of matchmaking even more baffling.. drops and team inconsistency are much less of an issue if you don't have to play the whole 5 hour experience in one shot and can save every 1/4 of the way or whatever and come back to later.

The idea we need these features omitted in order to form a proper team bond is kind of offensive, IMO.

My man, bringing the goods and service with a smile. Thanks for the reply and great news. This side of Destiny has our regular group foaming at the mouth for the game's release. EDIT: This feels like an evolution of the matchmaking wins/fails over the Halo years. I'm sort of glad it's not matchmaking based and friend based instead.

God forbid we're encouraged to be social and communicate with others for one game mode in a game filled with shit to do that doesn't require any of the aforementioned. There's a ton of single player shooters out there, maybe this isn't the game for you.

I wouldn't mind if matchmaking was included but it's not a deal breaker for me. The people looking for attention with the "preorder cancelled" comments and images are probably the same type of people who ragequit during an unlucky raid or PvP match, wasting everyone else's time. So thanks in advance?

The developers have a vision for the game, the game they've been making and playing and testing for years. How about we trust their vision until we get our hands on the final version?

Personally I want them to add matchmaking, (if someone drops or to fill a slot or two) but let's see how this goes. I'm open minded like that.

bigDave

awesome.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Sounds awesome.

KeRaSh

Interesting! This sounds like there will be "checkpoints" in the raid and you get loot after each checkpoint but only once a week?
Reminds me of FFXIV's Coil turns.

I can't decide if that thread would be more or less whiny than this thread.

I try to steer clear of extremely negative threads.
JuLszwT.gif

Maybe it sucks that there is no matchmaking for raids, maybe its a good thing. Who knows how it will turn out until it comes out. At this point it looks like you need to have a fireteam to play it. If you really want to play it, organize or join a fireteam and play it, you are almost guaranteed to enjoy yourself more that way anyhow, or don't play it. For all we know you literally NEED to have co-operative chat and teamwork to get anywhere in the raid, in which case, making a rule like this is just saving people an unnecessary headache.

jgf

I like this decision. To me it's similar to journey restricted communication. The devs had a vision for the game and they want you to experience it that way. What if voice chat was allowed in journey. I could still decide to not use it, but it would end up beeing a completely different game.

Same goes with destiny. Planing you run, setting up your group etc. is a hassle, but it gets you so much more involved in the raid. Optional matchmaking could ruin that, because lazy bums as we gamers are would use it most of the time. Having subpar experiences, because we're too lazy for that initial commitment of forming a group. That's why matchmaking could be a bad thing, even when it's optional.

genbatzu

it would be good, if I had any idea how clans work in destiny ôo

I joined DGAF and DGAF EU2 and selected DGAF EU2 as my psn clan, but found only a friend list ingame and no way to chat or communicate with people.. you know, to ask if someone wants to join for a party ôo

maomaoIYP

Guess I won't be doing any raids then. Disappointing since the rest of the game was so fun.
Same here.
Why not? Im sure there are lots of people on GAF that would love to try a raid with you.
I live in a small country in south east asia with a relatively small install base that is split over three consoles (4 if the PS3 has this game as well, I haven't been following the news). And the people that I play games with probably won't pick this up.

No see, part of the Destiny raid experience is trawling various internet forums before you do a thing.

Sounds better than trying to complete an extremely challenging raid with 5 randoms with no mics and you have no idea how long everyone can play and having people drop out of the game and not co-operating ect, ect.
You can also find people in destiny. I met randoms in the tower and had them join my fireteam to do strikes with.

Icy Guy

Neo Member
Can someone link me Destiny GAF? Thanks!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=856555

A couple of things:

1) Now that you've mentioned a lockout, my fingers are crossed very, very tightly for worthwhile loot rewards from the raid. Borderlands 2's idea of a typical raid reward was middling loot and a random (7-10) helping of one of its secondary currencies, which were used to buy guns that were typically not worth using. On top of that, raids initially had a 24-hour lockout, but that was lifted when the community raised enough of a stink, partly because you needed 120 currency items to buy one of those "meh" weapons. So yeah, that's a serious concern I have, because I want to go "Ooh, nice!" and not, "Well, that was crap. Better luck next week...?"

2) You owe me 229 steak dinners, Mr. Smith. Or that's what my Halo 3 medal count says, anyway.

A couple of things:

1) My fingers are crossed very, very tightly for worthwhile loot rewards from the raid. Borderlands 2's idea of a typical raid reward was middling loot and a random (7-10) helping of one of its secondary currencies, which were used to buy guns that were typically not worth using. Raids initially had a 24-hour lockout, but that was lifted when the community raised enough of a stink, partly because you needed 120 currency items to buy one of those "meh" weapons. So yeah, serious concern.

2) You owe me 229 steak dinners, Mr. Smith. Or that's what my Halo 3 medal count says, anyway.

Plot twist - the loot is steak. Lots of steak.

Yibby

Yeah, too bad all of the tools you need to organize and prepare a team for a raid aren't even present in this game. If they were, then I think a lot less people would be so upset of over the lack of matchmaking.

Yes, in WoW or other MMOs you have ingame guilds, you have calendars (or calendar addons), you can chat with People (written and voice).
Where do you group up in Destiny ? Not at the Tower, but in forums and other non game related places, because there are no tools that support groups or guilds.

Not having matchmaking just makes the content tedious to access, it's not preventing people from failing.

For real though. The inclusion of insertion points makes the absence of matchmaking even more baffling.. drops and team inconsistency are much less of an issue if you don't have to play the whole 5 hour experience in one shot and can save every 1/4 of the way or whatever and come back to later.

The idea we need these features omitted in order to form a proper team bond is kind of offensive, IMO.
While Im not personally offended ;) I do agree that this makes the absence of matchmaking even more ridiculous. All they have done is essentially put an artificial barrier in place to prevent people from playing content. They need SOMETHING in game to encourage proper team setup. Its just sounding like a chore at this point.

Yes, in WoW or other MMOs you have ingame guilds, you have calendars (or calendar addons), you can chat with People (written and voice).
Where do you group up in Destiny ? Not at the Tower, but in forums and other non game related places, because there are no tools that support groups or guilds.

Not having matchmaking just makes the content tedious to access, it's not preventing people from failing.
The fact that WoW incorporated a Raid matchmaking system themselves should be evidence enough that its a good idea to implement that type of system. They have the matchmaking system already in place, cant believe they arent going to use it.

Stratn

I have joined Destiny Gaf, but I haven't been able to join a clan? If there is a clan setup for the East or Eastern Canada please let me know how to join my PSN/Bungie ID is stratn99. I am also a Dad of 3 children, so my play time is limited to Friday and Saturday nights from 9 till when ever (wife approved) so, my play time is limited. Send me a FR.

On topic! I really have mixed feelings about friends only...In one way I'm really excited to experience this challenge with a tight group and getting in to a PUG might be more frustrating, as I have already experienced with the Strike, guys where just goofing around instead of participating. On the other hand some really good suggestions on how a match making system may work. The one thing I don't want, is for Bungie to put an easy mode in.

Static Jak

God forbid a game dev implement social features that give people the ability to do just that. Which is something that has existed in games since the 90s.
Easily the biggest issue in this game.

This whole issue with Raids would be nearly non-existent if we had basic chat options. When I mean basic, I mean stuff we've had for the most bare bone of MP games.

It might have been possible if I could have jumped into the Tower (you know, A CENTRAL HUB?) and ask if any of them wanted to Raid. If anything, The Tower would have been a handy place to quickly set up a Raid.
Or after a Crucible game you might get to know a few of the players and you guys join up in a Fireteam, maybe jump to a Raid or a Strike or whatever. Social interactions and all that.

But since Bungie has no chat in-game outside of Fireteams, that removes that option.

For a game that's about large social gameplay like the style of MMOs, it's very limited in its Social interactions. To the point where it's nearly non-existent.

Not to mention an absolutely tiny amount of Destiny players would be using Reddit or Bungie forums or GAF and so on. There's no Clan features within the game. The game relies on outside sources for in-game experiences. Most people will never use those. It has to be in-game.

You're playing with other players moving around you but it doesn't feel like you're playing with other people. It might as well be bots.

Seronei

The fact that WoW incorporated a Raid matchmaking system themselves should be evidence enough that its a good idea to implement that type of system. They have the matchmaking system already in place, cant believe they arent going to use it.

I don't think anything WoW implemented since their subscription base started to dwindle should be used as evidence that it's a good idea.

GECK

Sounds better than trying to complete an extremely challenging raid with 5 randoms with no mics and you have no idea how long everyone can play and having people drop out of the game and not co-operating ect, ect.
You can also find people in destiny. I met randoms in the tower and had them join my fireteam to do strikes with.

Then don't use it.

And finding randoms at the tower hahaha. That isn't much different from simple matchmaking and way more difficult/timeconsuming/awkward considering Bungie is living in the dark ages and refuses add basic social features to the tower.

XaosWolf

Didn't even think of this as an option.
This actually sounds amazing.

Thanks for all your responses, Luke. They are very much appreciated! =D

It might have been possible if I could have jumped into the Tower (you know, A CENTRAL HUB?) and ask if any of them wanted to Raid. If anything, The Tower would have been a handy place to quickly set up a Raid.
I dont see how this would be any better than having matchmaking, in fact it would limit the player resource pool since the tower is really not that populated. I think what bungie really needs to do is if they want to create a barrier to entry then do it with in game mechanics. Require a specific gear level, or some type of checklist that ensures a certain level of dedication to the game.

syko de4d

So it will be even harder to find 5 friends to play with because not one of them is allowed to raid with a other group? "Hey do you want to Raid with me? Sorry bro, already have my Raid group."

Top Bottom