• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger of Sword City |OT| Okay, it's been an hour. Are you dead yet?

personally this is one of their best titles currently.

Awesome, great news to go with the art, I really hope it gets picked up.

Been checking out your videos to get a look at the rest too. Thanks for the looks at the game.
I may actually cave and import the PC version even just to play some of it to check it out and ease the wait hoping that the Vita version gets licensed so I'll atleast get to try some of the dungeons and see the art in person just in case.

Hopefully this gets brought over, my Vita is ready.

Shizuka

I wonder if there is somebody already interested in translating the PC version (fan translation). I feel this is one of those titles that could use an English patch sooner rather than later.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I wonder if there is somebody already interested in translating the PC version (fan translation). I feel this is one of those titles that could use an English patch sooner rather than later.

its not that easy to do. lots of time and effort spent.

Parakeetman

Awesome, great news to go with the art, I really hope it gets picked up.

Been checking out your videos to get a look at the rest too. Thanks for the looks at the game.
I may actually cave and import the PC version even just to play some of it to check it out and ease the wait hoping that the Vita version gets licensed so I'll atleast get to try some of the dungeons and see the art in person just in case.

Hopefully this gets brought over, my Vita is ready.

you might as well know a bunch of other folks here plan on doing that too.

Parakeetman

Apparently the Windows version of the game will have 16 bonus portraits from Students of the Round for character creation. Pretty cool stuff as more portraits is always a good thing! Even if the art style is different.

http://ihoujin.jp/extra/

Dorarnae

Apparently the Windows version of the game will have 16 bonus portraits from Students of the Round for character creation. Pretty cool stuff as more portraits is always a good thing! Even if the art style is different.

http://ihoujin.jp/extra/

not bad, they actually look good in that game compared to labyrinth cross blood.

I just finished Moero Chronicle post game, the difficulty in the game is a bit weird. One dungeon, some monster were doing insane dmg so I had to put the game on easy, but was able to beat the true final boss on expert. definatly had more fun overall with persona Q than this game.
Can't wait for Tokyo New world record now. I wonder if they'll make remix of some song, like they did with stranger of the village of the sword.

Parakeetman

A japanese game for x360, PC, and vita, but not the PS3? The hell?

No market there. On top of they have never made any games for the PS3. Just the portable systems PSP / PSV.

Experience Inc has initially only made stuff on the following order.

PC -> 360 -> PSP -> PSV

Its the exact same reason why pretty much all other companies who make dungeon crawlers stick to portable systems over trying to sell on consoles. The genre is just far more accepted as an on the go type of game vs sit in front of the tv and play type of title at this point in time.

Parakeetman

not bad, they actually look good in that game compared to labyrinth cross blood.

I just finished Moero Chronicle post game, the difficulty in the game is a bit weird. One dungeon, some monster were doing insane dmg so I had to put the game on easy, but was able to beat the true final boss on expert. definatly had more fun overall with persona Q than this game.
Can't wait for Tokyo New world record now. I wonder if they'll make remix of some song, like they did with stranger of the village of the sword.

I would imagine if anything was to be remixed might be music from Cross Blood. Outside of the 2 trailers dont think we have any samples of music at all.

Personally I hope that they just do some new stuff at this point.

8LnMZGH.jpg

This is awesome

Parakeetman

Since i need to reset myself a bit, will spend a few hours in this game today. Should be a good time since its been a while. Might go wander around the snow area to level up a bit. As the junkyard one that I was at is a bit dangerous due to the 1 hit kill enemies that exist. Its going to be a very, very, very bad day if I lose my archer lol. Since she is the main source of raw damage in the group.

As with most Wizardry type of titles, when ninjas show up in large numbers you know you are going to have a bad time lol.

Parakeetman

*As always click on image to watch vid.

Another "boss" fight. So dont watch if you want to keep things fresh.

Just another boss battle is SoSC. Was just waiting for one of my characters to get 1HKed by a ninja in this fight. Esp from the boss. Thankfully luck was good. Mainly kept avoid / hit up on my guys and worked on the 1 turn avoid / hit debuff on the enemy on the mass rows in the back to lower the chance of their ranged attacks from hitting. Also my characters are pretty high level, which is why these enemies in particular their damage isnt too high.

One thing for sure is that the life point system keeps the battles real tense and makes you think a lot harder about your tactics in battle rather than for an example that folks here can understand in demon gaze where you would just hit the fast forward for the commands all the time with little thought. Really adds tension that is great as the fear of death is what makes these titles worth it to me.

With how this games customization skills work I think I can make a Knight that sits in the back row assisting with protecting casters while being able to attack from the back with a melee weapon. Its by turning into the Trickster for a while till you get a skill that removes the range limit of your equipped weapon, so if how I think it works is correct should allow you to put a knight in the back row to be able to take full advantage of his defend skill allowing him to absorb melee attacks keeping the casters safe. Though it wont stop targeted magic attacks and dont think it will help against all row melee attacks.

There really is a lot you can do with the class change / sub skill system in this game to make characters tailored to your tastes. I bet balancing this was a nightmare hence why there are not a huge amount of classes. But these hybrids that you can create are fascinating and semi remind me of the amusement I had in 世界樹 III with the main and sub jobs. Though this one is a bit more customizable with picking what learned skills / abilities you want from particular class. But you need to think ahead as the number of times you can do this is limited and gets more expensive with each change.

And always remember
KFouPGA.png

Parakeetman

The game is beautiful. I hope either the 360 or vita version make it to NA.

It really is a nice looking game visually and has excellent music.

Doubt the 360 one will as it would be a huge waste of resources. Better chance on the Vita and possibly PC. Currently the Vita platform is the best potential home in the West due to a lot of fans coming from Demon Gaze would be interested in this.

Dorarnae

I would imagine if anything was to be remixed might be music from Cross Blood. Outside of the 2 trailers dont think we have any samples of music at all.

Personally I hope that they just do some new stuff at this point.

Same for me, I just love 'War on X-blood' hehe.

Parakeetman

Same for me, I just love 'War on X-blood' hehe.

To get the games special soundtrack I actually had to order it from somewhere else as Amazon does not offer it.

So will be winding up with 2 copies of the game the normal and LE version lol.

Dorarnae

To get the games special soundtrack I actually had to order it from somewhere else as Amazon does not offer it.

So will be winding up with 2 copies of the game the normal and LE version lol.

for Tokyo New operation abyss? didn't know they had a special soundtrack...
I wonder if they'll end up releasing another 'exp sound box' someday.

Parakeetman

for Tokyo New operation abyss? didn't know they had a special soundtrack...
I wonder if they'll end up releasing another 'exp sound box' someday.

Yeah Sofmap in Japan is one of the retailers thats has the game for pre-order with a soundtrack.

At least the first print editions of the PC version of SoSC will be having the soundtrack included just like how the 360 one did.

Also thankfully the game will be PSV TV compat. So I can record shit.

I think the patch for Demon Gaze Global Edition finally came out so it works with the PSV TV now too. Since its on the official site as compatible now. Im concerned about Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate though as they added unnecessary touch screen controls to it. But hopefully it will be compatible anyways. Or it goddamned better be more like it. I still wasnt too happy with how the first one was not compatible initially. Seems that Kadokawa has a problem with that. Since even Demon Gaze Global Edition was not compat off the bat. :/ At least its fixed now and the original Cross Blood Infinity. We will see what happens with Ultimate though...

Oh yeah when the PC version of this game comes out, we will be using this thread also for it. Since no reason in me making another OT for the exact same content lol

For those planning on getting the PC version useful wiki site for some information on the game. All in Japanese though. First time am actually looking at one was just curious about some of the stats ratings and got my answers here.

http://www.spoiler.jp/srv/tsurugi/

Dorarnae

Also thankfully the game will be PSV TV compat. So I can record shit.

I think the patch for Demon Gaze Global Edition finally came out so it works with the PSV TV now too. Since its on the official site as compatible now. Im concerned about Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate though as they added unnecessary touch screen controls to it. But hopefully it will be compatible anyways. Or it goddamned better be more like it. I still wasnt too happy with how the first one was not compatible initially. Seems that Kadokawa has a problem with that. Since even Demon Gaze Global Edition was not compat off the bat. :/ At least its fixed now and the original Cross Blood Infinity. We will see what happens with Ultimate though...

Oh yeah when the PC version of this game comes out, we will be using this thread also for it. Since no reason in me making another OT for the exact same content lol

For those planning on getting the PC version useful wiki site for some information on the game. All in Japanese though. First time am actually looking at one was just curious about some of the stats ratings and got my answers here.

http://www.spoiler.jp/srv/tsurugi/

I don't really mind about ps tv since my vita is modded(quite expensive though, was about 400$), so I play on my computer which is fine.

and yeah that website is nice for faqs ect, can always translate with google. bit hard sometime but if I managed to do it, then it's not impossible hehe.
I still have a bunch of links for many drpg...

by the way, recently I've been checking something. It's Wizardry five ordeals or something like that. I played wizardry prisonner of the battle on ps2 and it's a good wizardry (monster art ect), so wizardry five ordeals seems to be the same game but with more scenario, but they also have an editing tool that let you create your own scenario.
I tried to get my hand on this but I am afraid it'll be hard(online download) or extremely expensive(physical).
It reminds me Elminage 3 had a feature where you could create your own dungeon/scenario but you couldn't do it yourself, it was all randomize. I'd like to see this feature again someday but being able to do everything.

Parakeetman

I don't really mind about ps tv since my vita is modded(quite expensive though, was about 400$), so I play on my computer which is fine.

and yeah that website is nice for faqs ect, can always translate with google. bit hard sometime but if I managed to do it, then it's not impossible hehe.
I still have a bunch of links for many drpg...

by the way, recently I've been checking something. It's Wizardry five ordeals or something like that. I played wizardry prisonner of the battle on ps2 and it's a good wizardry (monster art ect), so wizardry five ordeals seems to be the same game but with more scenario, but they also have an editing tool that let you create your own scenario.
I tried to get my hand on this but I am afraid it'll be hard(online download) or extremely expensive(physical).
It reminds me Elminage 3 had a feature where you could create your own dungeon/scenario but you couldn't do it yourself, it was all randomize. I'd like to see this feature again someday but being able to do everything.

The thing is the games really do not have any sort of reason to not work with the PSV TV right out of the box. Kinda crazy that its not in there day one is the issue. Plus works as a selling point also. So it goes beyond the personal level thing in general. Does not really look good when it doesnt work right out of the box considering what kind of game it is and generally does not make use of any features which should bar it from functioning on the PSV TV.

Oh yeah I remember hearing about that dungeon load feature, but never tried it myself. Would indeed be cool to see it return. But Im really hoping that Starfish is working on a Vita Elminage game, where they are trying to put a bit more effort into the title.

Bulzeeb

this game looks nice a shame there are no official words for localization, so do you think someone will unofficially translate this game? because I think I really want to play it :S

Parakeetman

this game looks nice a shame there are no official words for localization, so do you think someone will unofficially translate this game? because I think I really want to play it :S

With how much work is involved with doing that doubt it. Even if someone did its not going to be something thats going to be done in any sort of short amount of time.

The JP version asides from the 360 one is not even out yet so obviously there is not going to be any word on localization for a niche game like this until its actually released within Japan first. The one which would most likely make its way to the US some point in time would be the Vita version and that doesnt even have a specific JP date yet. D: Besides what the devs said in an interview which is winter 2014...

Asides from that they have other titles which they need to push out the door first such as Operation Abyss which comes out next week and then end of next month Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate :)

Parakeetman

not that any if us here care about famitsu scores operation abyss got rated 7 8 8 7 which is pretty good considering the genre

CrovaxPSO

not that any if us here care about famitsu scores operation abyss got rated 7 8 8 7 which is pretty good considering the genre

Like you said, it doesn't really matter, but for comparison's sake, they gave Demon Gaze 9/9/8/8 (34/40) and Cross Blood Infinity 8/8/7/6 (29/40). Not surprising since it seems like the core systems of Operation Abyss are almost exactly the same as Cross Blood with some of the modern stuff from Demon Gaze (dungeon hints, slicker interface).

Parakeetman

How come Demon Gaze looks so different than this game, its like they are made by 2 differente developers.

its called different artists ( ´∀`)

pretty much all of their previous games looked different each respective series that is. the only other game that looks like demon gaze will be tokyo new world record operation abyss as it uses the same art team and design direction based off of the popularity of demon gaze

by far this title is heading in the right direction as do like the mechanics better than demon gaze. difficulty is higher too.

Like you said, it doesn't really matter, but for comparison's sake, they gave Demon Gaze 9/9/8/8 (34/40) and Cross Blood Infinity 8/8/7/6 (29/40). Not surprising since it seems like the core systems of Operation Abyss are almost exactly the same as Cross Blood with some of the modern stuff from Demon Gaze (dungeon hints, slicker interface).

In general do think the Xth series is an acquired taste which is why most likely it got rated low. Since for the most part only the hardcore fans really went and picked it up. And its not like generally the art is super attractive as its an older type of design which has not evolved that much in general. Still though seems like it did well enough to get Ultimate made and looks like they are trying to reboot things a bit with Operation Abyss.

I really want to see them "reboot" the students of the round series since really did like that one. Though some folks were turned off by the fact all your party members are pre-made as they are story pieces. Though am curious how it ties into SoSC as mentioned in the OT a main antagonist appears in the game from SotR.

Parakeetman

BTW for those interested in the PC version, should be a demo tomorrow. Not sure from where yet though, but would imagine the main HP.

Good to know, thanks !

Haven't played a japanese PC games for ages - will it work on my W7, or do I need to fire up my old Japanese Win XP VM ? ^^;

Parakeetman

Good to know, thanks !

Haven't played a japanese PC games for ages - will it work on my W7, or do I need to fire up my old Japanese Win XP VM ? ^^;

It should work since its not like the old days with Dos V and stuff.

good times those were... lol

I'd never heard of this game before but it looks incredible. Does anyone know the best way to buy the JPN version on PC? Or am I better hoping for a localisation?

Parakeetman

I'd never heard of this game before but it looks incredible. Does anyone know the best way to buy the JPN version on PC? Or am I better hoping for a localisation?

Id say Amiami would be your best bet...hmm wait hold on.

Ok here it is. Better pre-order fast as Id imagine its going to go quick. First print editions should come with the 2 cd soundtrack set.

Parakeetman

I wonder if the 18% off on Amazon would cover the cost of a shipping service like Tenso or not :/

not sure but id suggest moving fast. since lots of folks were waiting for the PC version over the 360 one so id imagine the early print eds with the soundtrack are gonna go quick. as thats what happened with the 360 ones. and I will tell you right now the music is FANTASTIC. so you will most def want to get in on the 2 disc soundtrack if you can.

Parakeetman

Is the Vita version still planned for this winter ?

Im pretty sure it still is. They had a livestream at 2000 over here but I missed it since was still en route home. Damned shame since they were talking about demon gaze 2 I think.

Perhaps the TGS they will talk about it or have a demo version available. Since the PC version should be pretty much done and ready Id imagine now all efforts are focused on the Vita version.

Though next month they have Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate too, but that should be done also already.

Ill ask the producer and see if he responds. Actually might be better to ask him tomorrow night as tonight they were already busy with the livestream broadcast. So Id imagine now they are having some sort of after show party with the staff and he would be home late.

CrovaxPSO

Im pretty sure it still is. They had a livestream at 2000 over here but I missed it since was still en route home. Damned shame since they were talking about demon gaze 2 I think.

Perhaps the TGS they will talk about it or have a demo version available. Since the PC version should be pretty much done and ready Id imagine now all efforts are focused on the Vita version.

Though next month they have Cross Blood Infinity Ultimate too, but that should be done also already.

Ill ask the producer and see if he responds. Actually might be better to ask him tomorrow night as tonight they were already busy with the livestream broadcast. So Id imagine now they are having some sort of after show party with the staff and he would be home late.

I stayed up to watch that livestream (4 AM here) but then it said not available to view in my region, nooooo. Could have gotten around it but was way too tired.

The trial is up for download here: http://ihoujin.jp/extra/trial.html

The download started out pretty fast for me, but now it says 2 hours remaining.

I wonder if the 18% off on Amazon would cover the cost of a shipping service like Tenso or not :/

Tenso's EMS to North America starts at 1200 yen, and I wouldn't expect that package to cost more than 1500-1800 yen unless it's unusually heavy for some reason. Add on their 490 yen minimum fee on top of that. I only ever use Tenso over Amiami if Amazon.co.jp has a pre-order bonus that is better than Amiami's, or in the rare event that Amiami doesn't have a pre-order bonus (Utakumi 575 is the only game I've bought that this happened with, for whatever reason). The fees are usually more than the higher discount.

CrovaxPSO

Okay, got the trial downloaded and installed. By default it runs in a 1280x720 window, but even if you change it to 1080 in full screen it doesn't look like it actually increases the quality of the actual assets, which is kind of a bummer. I guess it's all natively produced for 720 only, both the 2D art and the 3D environments. Unless I'm applying the settings wrong, which is possible. Regardless, it still looks really good.

I don't have a controller hooked up to my PC so I'm using mouse+keyboard, which works pretty well for movement. You can used either the WASD or arrow keys to move around, or by moving the mouse around on the screen it changes based on where you point to moving forward, turning, or turning around. Using the mouse in the menus is a little wonky, so a controller is probably best. The menus are super slick though, I love the UI.

Took a few screenshots, first one is 720 for comparison.

I'm really impressed so far, but I'll keep waiting for the Vita version. If the art actually went up to 1920x1080 I'd be really tempted to grab the PC version though.

Parakeetman

im curious to see how long the demo is. wonder who from out little group will have their first casualty lol

Parakeetman

for the update when this thread turns into the PC OT how does the graphic look? had to edit it slightly to give the background something to do.

since I think my demo of photoshop expired, went back to paint.net and made do with the limited tools it has.

like a fucking idiot I had closed the program before saving the first press edition info image I did up. thats what I get for working when am dead tired.

also will do up an info sheet for PC specs. Or might just type it out instead to save space. as dont really have a background to use anyways. will shrink this down to something a little more reasonable after.

Parakeetman

Looks really good.

I hope the Vita version gets the soundtrack as well as a regular first-print bonus.

I really do hope so also, Id imagine so considering the hardcore fans who have been waiting will go apeshit otherwise. Im considering getting a 2nd copy of the game to leave unopened as the PC versions usually fetch a premium and as a collector...though currently the "resources" are quite low unfortunately so am not sure what to do atm. might just pull the trigger anyways for the hell of it. Not like bad decisions have stopped me in the past! Its going to be interesting having 3 different copies of the 2 disc soundtrack thats for sure lol.

Looking at the image more actually makes me want to redo the text and whatnots, bugs the shit out of me too that the upper space with the game case is bare also. Its too bad I dont have a copy of this image without the logo there like the old Stranger in Alda image for the 360 OT. Might reuse that one for when this OT shifts to the Vita version next. As have all 3 locked down since got the resources to deal with them.

Yeah later tonight Ill redo the image. Still am cleaning the place. Dear god this is the job that will never end.

I saw a tweet that said there are 2 quests included in the demo for the game.

CrovaxPSO

I really do hope so also, Id imagine so considering the hardcore fans who have been waiting will go apeshit otherwise. Im considering getting a 2nd copy of the game to leave unopened as the PC versions usually fetch a premium and as a collector...though currently the "resources" are quite low unfortunately so am not sure what to do atm. might just pull the trigger anyways for the hell of it. Not like bad decisions have stopped me in the past! Its going to be interesting having 3 different copies of the 2 disc soundtrack thats for sure lol.

Looking at the image more actually makes me want to redo the text and whatnots, bugs the shit out of me too that the upper space with the game case is bare also. Its too bad I dont have a copy of this image without the logo there like the old Stranger in Alda image for the 360 OT. Might reuse that one for when this OT shifts to the Vita version next. As have all 3 locked down since got the resources to deal with them.

Yeah later tonight Ill redo the image. Still am cleaning the place. Dear god this is the job that will never end.

I saw a tweet that said there are 2 quests included in the demo for the game.

I haven't seen that image without the logo either. And yeah, I think the demo is 2 quests and level 8 cap. I didn't play any more of it yet, instead got farther in Operation Abyss.

Top Bottom