• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 is beautiful.

chadboban

I agree, I think it's a beautiful game. I know the aliasing is bad but it honestly doesn't bug me too much when the game runs as smoothly as it does. Would've been nice if Nintendo could've put in some AA but I guess it was either that or a better framerate and it looks like they went with the latter and I'm pretty glad they did.
Here's some shots I took myself. before my Wii U got bricked.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0115xyx.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_016lcl8.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_016eilv.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01mfs20.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01i9ihw.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0111pu7.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_015ijc5.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0184b5u.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01eek4e.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01pdrnb.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01ifxbs.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01laun6.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01blp5d.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_013csi8.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01keq7b.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_013hq0z.jpg

Davey Cakes

Those screens, man. Good stuff.

I'm really glad that Nintendo put all that effort into MKTV. It's paying off and people really get to show off how much character the game has and how wonderful it looks.

geordiemp

I agree, I think it's a beautiful game. I know the aliasing is bad but it honestly doesn't bug me too much when the game runs as smoothly as it does. Would've been nice if Nintendo could've put in some AA but I guess it was either that or a better framerate and it looks like they went with the latter and I'm pretty glad they did.
Here's some shots I took myself. before my Wii U got bricked.

Is that a special TV mode like the forza replay mode - the perspective does not look like anyone was playing at the time and looks like a replay...?

Also backgrounds are out of focus - is that the photo mode or because of resolution ?

http://www.gamersyde.com/game_videos_2760_en.html gives a proper impression.

nordique

Absolutely beautiful game

I don't care about the technical flaws or any of that, I know is I was stunned when I first saw it.

Havnt had that for another game this gen yet - that absolute "stunned" feeling.

Infamous came pretty close though

chadboban

Is that a special TV mode like the forza replay mode - the perspective does not look like anyone was playing at the time and looks like a replay...?

Also backgrounds are out of focus - is that the photo mode or because of resolution ?

http://www.gamersyde.com/game_videos_2760_en.html gives a proper impression.

It's MKTV, aka the replay mode, so that's why the angles look like that. You can even see the MKTV logo at the top left of the screen on some of them. They out of focus because the game uses DOF sometimes during the replays (I believe there is an option for it in The Last of Us Remastered and Infamous Second Son's photo mode as well). But the replays aren't enhanced when you watch them, and they are in real time since you can rewind, fast forward and slow them down as you please. I just time my shots carefully when I'm taking them..

Nice vids by gamersyde as usual. Love that they always use 60fps capture when needed. They are still yet to be topped when it comes to video game footage on the web.

Good lord Chad, your shots look better than Nintendo official press shots O_O

Just to put this out there, video processing will play a big part in how aliased a game will look on your TV, even a game with really good AA.

LCDs use complex algorithms for upscaling content to their fixed pixel resolution usually at the cost of increasing response times. If your TV has a game mode it will disable those algorithms to reduce input lag but pretty much anything less than the TVs standard resolution is going to look terrible even with good AA applied.

I have an LG TV with pretty good video processing so most games with little to no AA still look quite good, especially if they're native 1080P. So it really wouldn't be fair to just say to someone that they need to calibrate their settings to see less jaggies in a game as that's going to differ a lot from one TV to the next.

I would have loved to see MK8 on my old 720P DLP. That was the best gaming TV I've ever owned.
They out of focus because the game uses DOF sometimes during the replays.
It's much more subtle but there's DoF applied during the races as well. Just look off into the distance on Mt. Wario or Cloudtop... when you get your Wii U back I mean :(

Grisby

It looks damn good. I was surprised at how small the tracks feel (except for Wario's mountain) though, but I guess it's because I hadn't played an arcade racer in a while.

chadboban

Good lord Chad, your shots look better than Nintendo official press shots O_O

Awww thanks man, I try :)
Javac has some REALLY nice ones in the PS4/XB1/WiiU screenshot thread as well.

It's much more subtle but there's DoF applied during the races as well. Just look off into the distance on Mt. Wario or Cloudtop... when you get your Wii U back I mean :(

Yeah I definitely notice the DOF when I race on Donut Plains 3 as well.
And about the Wii U, I just got a major setback on that. Might get it back until November unfortunately :(
Thank goodness for my massive backlog though, otherwise I would've gone mad by now. On the bright side, I'll have Bayo 2, Hyrule Warriors, and hopefully Smash (should it release in November), along with Pikmin 3(my free MK8 game) to look forward to playing :D

Still really miss racing with you guys :'(

Nice screens, MK8 really is gorgeous.

Yeah, I never liked how DD, MKWii and MK7 looked. I was pleasantly surprised when they first revealed MK8, wasn't expecting anything like this at all. And the live recorded music is amazing. MK was always fun, but MK8 is so much more, wonder what got into the MK team lol.

I'm guessing all that MKDS/Wii money made Nintendo/EAD realize that MK is a monster franchise that deserves to be treated like 3D Mario, Smash, and Zelda from a presentation perspective.
Also, it's possible that "PS3/360-level" hardware and it's abilities allow them to things with MK8 that they've never been allowed to do with previous entries on weaker hardware.

Top Bottom