• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Sapiens

I wish I could have that feeling of my left hand being on the 9oclock position of that wheel at home - fighting that amazing force feedback.

You're all right, nothing short of having the arcade machine can replicate that feeling.

Warts and all, I really love the Saturn version.

Sega Rally on Saturn is one of those infinitely repayable games.

ShowDog

So true. Nothing can re-create that experience, or the memories.

I bought an original sit-down Daytona USA cabinet for $175 a few years ago. Sold it 6 months ago for about $200. You can re-create the experience to a degree, just need a lot of space! They're pretty big lol, and having just one doesn't quite cut the mustard.

AmyS

I'll cop that when I pick up a point card. Between XBLA and PSN, is there a clear preference?

Both are about the same. It's really a matter of what controller you prefer and what online service has more players.

There was even an official thread.

SYJXFsV.png

Official Sega of America videos:

[Name That Game! / Reveal ]
http://youtu.be/JmZL_D-c_qM?list=UUWfXR0-F7MI-TbqikgEdJcQ
http://youtu.be/y6vrr-_O6U0?list=UUWfXR0-F7MI-TbqikgEdJcQ

[Announcement Trailer]
http://youtu.be/DS_ToP2ievs?list=UUWfXR0-F7MI-TbqikgEdJcQ

[Developer Diary]
http://youtu.be/Ykm7tqS1VEo?list=UUWfXR0-F7MI-TbqikgEdJcQ

[Karaoke Mode Trailer] - Must See!
http://youtu.be/uqdMWels904?list=UUWfXR0-F7MI-TbqikgEdJcQ

Nevermind the quality of 720p YT videos, the PS3/360 ports are both native 1080p60 widescreen.

Official PSN / XBLA Daytona USA wallpaper

1ghCUFE.jpg

Hi-res 1920 x 1080

Original arcade wallpaper

esTjE0m.jpg

Hi-res 1980 x 1080

decaf

Anyone know the best Saturn modders in the UK these days? I'm a bit out of it with regards to the scene, and I need a PSU mod to convert my Japanese Saturns to work in the UK (not interested in a step-up converter).

Khaz

Here is a little recap, if you think you guys can beat some of these scores, or even place reasonably well.
My times, and I assume flohen95's, on Daytona's other tracks are just for fun, I probably have played the tracks once or twice before today. We may want to keep it short and only keep a few select tracks, depending on the participation.
I'll be compiling times for Daytona USA, Championship Circuit Edition (USA, Europe) and Circuit Edition (Japan) together. Same for PAL and NTSC. Unless someone can show me that there are wide discrepancies between the engines or that PAL timing is off.
Oh and please don't forget to mention your car for Sega Rally. I don't mind the Stratos but I think it's only fair if we know what we're racing against.

Sega Rally Championship

Arcade, 1 lap
  1. 3'27"27 khaz (celica, auto)
  2. 3'31"42 flohen95
Arcade, 3 laps
  1. 10'26"43 flohen95
Time attack, Desert 3 laps
  1. 2'42"30 fastest lap 0'53"49 khaz (Celica, auto)
  2. 2'47"62 fastest lap 0'54"35 flohen95
  3. ---------- fastest lap 0'54"00 MoGamesXNA (Celica, manual)

Daytona USA

Arcade, Three Seven Speedway
  1. 2'31"02 fastest lap 0'18"18 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 2'31"07 fastest lap 0'18"17 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. 2'31"38 fastest lap 0'17"90 Celine (CE, Magic auto)
Dinosaur Canyon
  1. 3'18"44 fastest lap ---------- Celine (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 3'21"41 fastest lap 0'47"91 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. 3'35"02 fastest lap 0'51"53 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)
Seaside Street Galaxy
  1. 3'38"44 fastest lap ---------- Celine (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 3'53"64 fastest lap 1'53"95 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. 4'05"13 fastest lap 1'59"79 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
National Park Speedway
  1. 3'41"66 fastest lap ---------- Celine (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 4'04"00 fastest lap 0'36"69 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. ---------- fastest lap 0'38"96 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
Desert City
  1. 3'33"65 fastest lap ---------- Celine (CE, Hornet auto)
  2. 3'50"29 fastest lap 0'53"89 flohen95 (CE, Hornet auto)
  3. 3'59"41 fastest lap 0'54"89 khaz (CE, Hornet auto)

[edit] looking good so far! I'll try to get a good time on the other two Sega Rally tracks as soon as someone posts theirs ;)

flohen95

Oh yeah, that video is fantastic. Makes me happy just seeing it. And as a bonus, we get one of the best versions of Let's Go Away right there, to me second only to Senoue's instrumental version from CE, but then again, Senoue is one of my favourite guitar players, so I'm biased.

Oh, all of my times are on automatic (on both Daytona and Sega Rally) and in Daytona I always use the Hornet. Would have to see which car I used for the Sega Rally times (never used the Stratos though).
And, yes, these are just the times I did when playing the game casually. For Daytona I still got to figure out some of the tracks, I mostly race on Desert City and Dinosaur Canyon due to the music (I guess that kinda shows).

Khaz

Anyone know the best Saturn modders in the UK these days? I'm a bit out of it with regards to the scene, and I need a PSU mod to convert my Japanese Saturns to work in the UK (not interested in a step-up converter).

I didn't know it was even possible. I mean you can swap PSU easily to put the one from a European Saturn, but just modding it? I don't think there are many people dealing with power supply modifications. Hope you find it though.

(tables have ben updated. Thank you Celine!
you have the same name as a dear cousin of mine. I don't think she's very good at Daytona though.
)

uW6Yupk.jpg

This arrived in the mail today, all in good condition. I've never owned a Saturn before but also recently got a Dreamcast and have the sudden desire to dive into 90s Sega.

God help me.

Alright SaturnGAF. I need some AV cables for my Saturn, and some game recommendations. Looking for something that can keep my attention in single player,I like basically every genre. I have very minimal Saturn experience so preach me the best of the best.

Crisium

Alright SaturnGAF. I need some AV cables for my Saturn, and some game recommendations. Looking for something that can keep my attention in single player,I like basically every genre. I have very minimal Saturn experience so preach me the best of the best.

A lot of the best Saturn games are arcadey pick up and play, besides RPGs. So I'd recommend Dragon Force, Shining Force 3, and Magic Knight Rayearth for some longer experiences. That's two different styles of SRPG and an ARPG, so nothing generic and boring don't worry. Many hours of fun.

But get Guardian Heroes because you will want to replay it many times for the multiple routes, even if it's a very short game.

But other awesome NA games, albeit shorter games, are Nights (high replay for higher scores), Panzer Dragoon 1 and Zwei, Sega Rally.

Oh, and I always recommend Mr. Bones. A unique and charming multiple genre single player experience. Underrated and fairly affordable.

Cables, get SCART and an adapter (like SCART to BNC) to if you have a CRT that can handle it. If not, S Video.

A lot of the best Saturn games are arcadey pick up and play, besides RPGs. So I'd recommend Dragon Force, Shining Force 3, and Magic Knight Rayearth for some longer experiences. That's two different styles of SRPG and an ARPG, so nothing generic and boring don't worry. Many hours of fun.

But get Guardian Heroes because you will want to replay it many times for the multiple routes, even if it's a very short game.

But other awesome NA games, albeit shorter games, are Nights (high replay for higher scores), Panzer Dragoon 1 and Zwei, Sega Rally.

Oh, and I always recommend Mr. Bones. A unique and charming multiple genre single player experience. Underrated and fairly affordable.

Cables, get SCART and an adapter (like SCART to BNC) to if you have a CRT that can handle it. If not, S Video.

Thanks, I'll take a look for a few of these games locally. Saturn is the one and only "mainstream" system that I never got time with as a kid. I knew someone with a SegaCD and I owned a Dreamcast, but I skipped Saturn for PS1 and N64.

Any particular brand or S-Video cable I should be getting? My Saturn came from a friend with an offbrand RF Adapter, looks so bad I refuse to play it.

mltplkxr

If you like Climax and the Shining series, get Shining the Holy Ark. The 3D is dated but the game is engrossing. Shining Force III is essential.

If you have kids or like games that have a distinctive style, Astal is something special. It is a bit weird but gorgeous.

If you like 16-bit RPGs Albert Odyssey is a must. It is gorgeous and has the typical funny Working Designs translation. Plus, WD put additional work in the game to improve it over the JP release.

Unless you're a fan of Diablo, don't break your back acquiring the Lodoss game. It's kind of like Diablo or Light Crusader and there is no Anime, only 3D renders of the characters.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm going to hunt down a first-party S-Video cable and then try finding a few of these games. I think I'm going for Shining Force III first.

Mercutio

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm going to hunt down a first-party S-Video cable and then try finding a few of these games. I think I'm going for Shining Force III first.

Shining Force III is great as is, but for the real full experience, check out the fan-translation of it and the two follow ups that came out in Japan.

originalself

Neo Member
Shining Force III is great as is, but for the real full experience, check out the fan-translation of it and the two follow ups that came out in Japan.
They did an excellent job. I am almost through scenario 2 now.
I also recommend using the scenario 1 patch since it fixes the changes from the original.

Crisium

On the topic of Shining Force III Scenarios 2 and 3 (and 1 with proper ending) I whole heartily recommend modding your Saturn and getting an Action Replay Cart for imports. Collecting is collecting and encouraged if you have disposable income, but for actually playing these expensive games this is the way to go. I don't know if it's frowned upon here, but the soldering is very basic and ordering the chip and instructions are easily found online.

Action Replay + modding gets you easy access to the AAA JPN only games... Shining Force III 2-3, Radiant Silvergun, Bulk Slash, etc.

originalself

Neo Member
On the topic of Shining Force III Scenarios 2 and 3 (and 1 with proper ending) I whole heartily recommend modding your Saturn and getting an Action Replay Cart for imports. Collecting is collecting and encouraged if you have disposable income, but for actually playing these expensive games this is the way to go. I don't know if it's frowned upon here, but the soldering is very basic and ordering the chip and instructions are easily found online.

Action Replay + modding gets you easy access to the AAA JPN only games... Shining Force III 2-3, Radiant Silvergun, Bulk Slash, etc.
That is a must with how expensive the games are. I would recommend using an official memory card and region changing the iso. Internal storage goes quick.

Organized and cataloged all my Saturn games today. There's only a few US games I still want to get my hands on at this point. Rayearth, Mr. Bones, HotD, In the Hunt, and maybe the 2 Megaman X games.

EZ4KlmJ.jpg

rHOa8jfl.jpg

JEKKI

the local mom n pop game store by me has a copy of Sonic 3D Blast...

should I buy?

I dont care if the game is whatever... I'm only intrigued by the fact that Richard Jacques did the soundtrack

however, I read on wiki that the saturn version is actually a port??

does that mean Mr. Jacques just ported the older music over?

or is the soundtrack fresh enough that it's worth the pickup?

Organized and cataloged all my Saturn games today. There's only a few US games I still want to get my hands on at this point. Rayearth, Mr. Bones, HotD, In the Hunt, and maybe the 2 Megaman X games.

EZ4KlmJ.jpg

rHOa8jfl.jpg

Radiant Silvergun. Next to Vampire Saviour. The amount of "winning at life" you're experiencing cannot be put into words.

should I buy?

I dont care if the game is whatever... I'm only intrigued by the fact that Richard Jacques did the soundtrack

I like The Genesis Sonic 3D Blast soundtrack better. I played that version first though.

Ms. Tea

should I buy?

Saturn soundtrack is completely original; it's not even based on the Genesis soundtrack. They're both really good ones, actually. Saturn/PC version has a CD soundtrack so it's easy to listen to without the game.

The game is pretty poor, on both platforms, but if you're in it for the music then you don't really have to care.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet

should I buy?

I remember the Sega Genesis version had better music...iirc it had the themes they re-used for Sonic Adventure Windy Valley and Twinkle Park.

I agree with Birdie. Saturn version has better visuals, but the genesis version is a better experience overall (better soundtrack and no long ass load times)

Top Bottom