• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 3 will release on consoles and PC this summer

Wait.. No PS4 version? Huge mistake.

Yep. This game is gonna sell like 20k combined on PS360 if they're lucky.

I might pick this up some time in the distant future if they fixed the co-op. Probably PC but a PS4 port would be nice considering Sacred 2 was surprisingly fun on console.

My experience with Sacred 2 co-op was comically large hordes of enemies that would attack whenever you went anywhere and follow you to the ends of the earth. If they tone that down a little I could be interested in a PS4 release.

Spades

I don't think the co-op was implemented very well in the Xbox 360 version of Sacred 2. IIRC it was one of the worst co-op experiences we had on the machine. Hopefully they will nail it this time around.

Ourobolus

Banned
I have Sacred Gold somewhere, and always meant to play it. It's a loot-whore game, right? I don't know why I never bit on it.

Spades

Sacred-3_Shot_04.jpg

Could be forgiven for thinking that is from Diablo!

They need to not royally screw it up this time in terms of Expansions/Regions/etc as was the convoluted mess of Sacred 2 on that front---just get it all out there, globally, on Steam and whatnot in a normal fashion and all should be well I hope.

Durante

I really don't like the looks of that much aesthetically. Too much Diablo (the bad one that is).

Compare/contrast Sacred 2:
big_000483uax.jpg

big_0011z9u82.jpg

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
That's good. Not a big fan of Sacred 2, but I hope this will be better

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Hyped for this. Spent a surprisingly long time time playing Sacred 2 on 360 despite not knowing what the hell I was doing. I really hope the levelling, skill system and quest mechanics are completely overhauled.

ParityBit

I really don't like the looks of that much aesthetically. Too much Diablo (the bad one that is).

I agree. Who knows if that was a planned decision, but I feel the same way about the art direction.

And I would have preferred some next gen console love rather than the PS360.

Fularu

Banned

Compare/contrast Sacred 2:
big_000483uax.jpg

big_0011z9u82.jpg

There are no "bad" Diablo games

And Sacred 2 was probably coded by idiots who had one reference machine and never bothered to make it work elsewhere. The game always crashed within 5 minutes for me.

Also those screens look nothing like Diablo 3 (not yours, the ones posted earlier), they look like your generic terribad low tier lootwhore game (think Van Helsing)

I never tried Sacred 2 mainly because I hated the character design. The world itself looked pretty nice though.

So we're now treating it like Deus Ex 2 and pretending it doesn't exist? Good.

Hahaha. I think Reaper of Souls may redeem it somewhat though. I'm going to try it at least; I'm currently out of good isometric arpg loot gathering game right now. (currently sick of PoE although I'm sure I'll come back to it, and Grim Dawn doesn't have much replay value this early in development).

Petrie

Banned
I played so much Sacred 2 on 360. I loved my Necro build that simple couldn't be hurt eventually due to being invisible.

HYPE

Fularu

Banned
So we're now treating it like Deus Ex 2 and pretending it doesn't exist? Good.

I didn't have any issues with it.

Try running it on AMD hardware, it just doesn't work. I heard the Gold version fixes some of it but I'm not paying more for a game that never worked.

Also no, Deus Ex 2 was an abomination, Diablo 3 is the best lootwhore game out there as far as gameplay and ARPG mecanisms go and will get even better in just a few weeks.

You're free to hate on it though, because that's cool and all.

spirity

Try running it on AMD hardware, it just doesn't work. I heard the Gold version fixes some of it but I'm not paying more for a game that never worked.

Also no, Deus Ex 2 was an abomination, Diablo 3 is the best lootwhore game out there as far as gameplay and ARPG mecanisms go and will get even better in just a few weeks.

Don't say "lootwhore" and "Diablo 3" in the same sentence. You know full well it doesn't compare to a certain other game in that aspect. D3's itemisation is trite and boring.

Though admittedly, it might turn a corner on the expansion. I'll have to see what friends say.

The auction house and loot system in general was an abomination. I'm sorry, it just was. I came back to it recently, and you're right, the action itself is pretty great. Reaper of Souls sounds like it's going to be a welcome change loot wise. Still, the character building just isn't as fun to me as other rpg's. If it just had a passive skill tree akin to Path of Exile...Diablo 3 just played a lot stuff too safe, imo.

You mean Diablo 2?
Well, of course it doesn't, but then again, which game does?

Path of Exile has ridiculously good loot (but doesn't surpass D2 in other ways).

MrKayle

Oh man, I loved Sacred Gold. Never tried Sacred 2 cus I heard it had so many problems and the expansion was only released in Europe.

I'm in!

Valnen

Don't say "lootwhore" and "Diablo 3" in the same sentence. You know full well it doesn't compare to a certain other game in that aspect. D3's itemisation is trite and boring.

Though admittedly, it might turn a corner on the expansion. I'll have to see what friends say.

Path of Exile is a terrible loot game if you don't feel like spamming trade channels or doing hours and hours and hours of research on the overly complicated passives.

Edit: Oh didn't notice how old this post was. They still haven't fixed PoE's trading though, have they?

Some mixed review scores, some are decent.

I loved Sacred 2 though and got plenty of value out of that and just preordered on steam (Aug 5th I think for USA)

I actually preferred the controller gameplay of the console Sacred 2, so I like that I use controller on PC but get better graphics and should work well with 3D glasses too.

Main take away of this game is its moved to a pure action game with some RPG elements vs the prior game which was a true RPG. Personally, I dont care for constant loot (I prefer fewer but more meaningful upgrades) and I can deal with lack of customization, though its a shame they could not at least put NPC's in the game. Its short, but thats fine with me I will replay with other characters and I dont need any padding. I have a feeling I will enjoy this game in the same way as Vikings, as a fun combat based action game versus a RPG.

The script and overlay comments seem terrible though from watching youtube.

PaulLFC

The game is nothing like the old games as anyone can see from this old Deepsilver broadcast http://www.twitch.tv/deepsilver/b/549820136
I'm having fun with it for what it is, but anyone looking for the same experience as in Sacred 2 simply because the game is called Sacred 3 is gonna be hugely disappointed.
Hmm. Glad I decided to wait on this then. Liked Sacred 2 but I had a feeling with co-op being all they've focussed on that this wouldn't be the same.

From what I've read, this seems like more of a sequel to sacred Citadel than Sacred 2.

Yeah seems that way. It reminds me of how Dragon Age 2 was action focused verses the original pure RPG, though with even less RPG elements (and much lower production values)

I'm getting the game because it looks fun & I want to keep the devs in business given how much I loved Sacred 2, despite the fact that you know its going to be heavily discounted. I may do the same with Risen 3.

Forsythia

Just played the first mission (on 360) and boy... It's not even the gameplay that bothers me the most (but don't expect Sacred 2). The voiceacting and attempts at humour are grating. What were they thinking?

And why the fuck do I need that blue circle around my character when playing solo? (Diablo III console only does this when in multiplayer).

Also... where's the loot? Am I missing something here?

And this is probably the most useless manual ever:

wp_0001535zy6v.jpg

Just played the first mission (on 360) and boy... It's not even the gameplay that bothers me the most (but don't expect Sacred 2). The voiceacting and attempts at humour are grating. What were they thinking?

And why the fuck do I need that blue circle around my character when playing solo? (Diablo III console only does this when in multiplayer).

There is no loot. This game is essentially an isometric brawler. It's not even the same genre as Sacred 2.

It's really disappointing because Sacred 2 as SO CLOSE to being a great game. The world was absolutely massive. Almost too massive. And it had really great attention to detail in almost every corner of the world. The boss fights were always pretty interesting too. But there was something about it that always felt a bit... off. It had some pretty unique combat mechanics that didnt always click with me. Not to mention the pace at the start was REALLY slow. And the story was nonexistent. After a while I just started mashing the skip button when dialog boxes came up because there was just so much text that never really amounted to anything interesting.

I always hoped that Sacred 3 would improve on the flaws of Sacred 2 and be a really fantastic ARPG. But this is just... bargain bin garbage. $50? Day 1 DLC to unlock more characters? What a joke :(

And this is probably the most useless manual ever:

wp_0001535zy6v.jpg

LOL that manual.

Really bummed that Sacred 3 is so mediocre. I enjoyed Sacred 2 and if they just improved on what needed fixing Sacred 3 could have been great... instead it's a game in a completely different genre.

JoRo

Oh this is disappointing. I guess I should've figured this would happen. I'm all about supporting these quirky, Euro-style RPGs, but no loot? Really? Looks like I'll stick with my D3: UEE instead.

Edit: Even if it were releasing on PS4 at a more value price or digitally at a cheaper price, I would consider it. I may still pick up in bargain bin one day. Still disappoint since I love loot arpgs.

Oh no.....I was eagerly awaiting the release of this game. All these impressions and review sure are leaving a bad taste in my mouth. And to say that I pre-ordered it....

Top Bottom