• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1080p will come to Xbox One games, but at a cost

Qassim

Sacrifices to make a game run 1080p 60fps would probably mean drastic changes to the scope and scale of the game, number of enemies, size of game world, everything. And since games are made targeting console and not PC most of the time, it would result in SIGNIFICANTLY compromised experiences on the PC version because the game would be too toned down from a size and scale perspective. We would have shit like corridor The Division shooter instead of open world.

Xbox one doesn't have the hardware to play at 1080p/60 the kinds of experiences a PC gamer wants to play. And saying a studio is not allowed to release anything on XBO that is lower than 1080p/60 means that the PC version of those same games would have so much hardware above and beyond the scaled down versions the devs would come out with, everyone would be running them at 4k/120fps.

Most of the games you played last gen were 30fps and the 360 was beefy tech compared to PC's when it launched. This gen we have serious weak sauce and now you're demanding 60fps on genres that were always 30fps on consoles?

Yep, all true. I commented because people seem to believe there is a specific hardware requirement for '1080p/60fps' when there are so many more variables than that. My only point was that given the right variables the Xbox One can do 1080p/60fps.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Just look at this absolutely blurry mess! Makes it so un-fun!

ibmRIDLYRUAaDj.jpg

: |

Don't get me wrong, my preference is 1080p, purely because I use pretty big 1080p TV's to game on, and a 1:1 pixel mapped resolution is always more detailed and crisp. But 900p is certainly not an unplayable blurry mess. I'd rather stay away from 720p though, as that's when the blur really starts to set in, at least on bigger screens anyway.
It's not unplayable, but it looks godawful on a fixed pixel PC monitor, and I would literally lower every other setting before I touched the resolution.

On HDTVs it barely matters, and it's a clear case of MS not wanting to look crappier on paper.

KoopaTheCasual

I don't buy it. Reusable hardware, cheap Steam game prices, and no subscription bullshit to play online make PC gaming the far better value.
To make the dip into PC gaming worthwhile, that requires a level of engagement/commitment that a more plug and play casual gamer doesn't have the time/care for.

Someone who's buying the new XboxStation, and only wants like 3 AAA games a year for single player experience, will see a significantly better value in a shiny console, than a cumbersome and confusing rig.

Tagyhag

Just like 1080p comes to the PS4 at a cost too (Just happens to be a lesser cost) :p.

In my opinion, it's a good thing, it's very noticeable when a game isn't at 1080p. If I would have said this last gen most people would disagree but now that they're getting games with that res I'm sure we could all agree.

There are other game assets that should be sacrificing before you sacrifice the resolution.

I'd argue the same for the fps but that's a way more divided subject. If only because others don't know what having 60fps as a standard feels like.

Fbh

Well yeah, you don't need an expert to tell you that if you want 1080p on limited hardware you will need to sacrifice another aspect.
Articles like this really make me believe that some people think developers have a "enable high graphics + 60 fps + 1080p" button but decide not to use because they don't feel like it.

In my opinion, the Xbox One should be running ALL games at 1080p and 60fps. It should be a requirement. If your game doesn't run at 1080p and 60fps...go back to the drawing table.
I'm so sick and tired of the console getting mediocre graphics settings while the PC gets the luxury of tuning the game to fit the gamer's needs. Consoles should get the same treatment.

It's allways going to be the same on consoles. They are closed systems with fixed hardware that have to be sold at appealing prices. Devs will allways run into some limitations and most of them will preffer to optimize the game as much as they can with a fixed settings. Also, most of them will preffer to push the visual aspects of a game because graphics just sell more than performance.

If you want all games to run at 1080p and 60fps, and if you want to have deeper options then go get a PC

FeiRR

Banned
Microsoft should find a company to make 900p* displays for them. "The best place to play Xbox" and all that.

*) Comes with a $99 attachment for additional pixels in Titanfall, Diablo and Forza.

To make the dip into PC gaming worthwhile, that requires a level of engagement/commitment that a more plug and play casual gamer doesn't have the time/care for.

Someone who's buying the new XboxStation, and only wants like 3 AAA games a year for single player experience, will see a significantly better value in a shiny console, than a cumbersome and confusing rig.

Sure, but that is irrelevant. This discussion is about value as it relates to performance, which is squarely something that the "casual gamer doesn't have the time/care for."

If you want to talk universal value, PCs also bring a host of non-gaming functionality above and beyond consoles which is being ignored.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Microsoft should find a company to make 900p* displays for them. "The best place to play Xbox" and all that.

*) Comes with a $99 attachment for additional pixels in Titanfall, Diablo and Forza.

HDTVs scale well enough that 900p should be fine. If MS try and push to 1080p they'll suffer elsewhere - either in framerate or onscreen detail. I'd much prefer they just pick 900p if that allows them to keep the framerate and detail up.

Vestax

Banned
HDTVs scale well enough that 900p should be fine. If MS try and push to 1080p they'll suffer elsewhere - either in framerate or onscreen detail. I'd much prefer they just pick 900p if that allows them to keep the framerate and detail up.

I agree, but I thinks it's the whole "not 1080p" stigma that's forcing these bumps in resolution. It doesn't look good when the competition is putting out the same title at 1080p. Plus, most consumers are more familiar with the whole 1080p speak, than texture/frames per second speak.

I was one of those that wanted Titanfall at 720p with no tears and solid 60fps. CoD runs like this, and it's still a great experience on the XB1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I agree, but I thinks it's the whole "not 1080p" stigma that's forcing these bumps in resolution. It doesn't look good when the competition is putting out the same title at 1080p. Plus, most consumers are more familiar with the whole 1080p speak, than texture/frames per second speak.

I was one of those that wanted Titanfall at 720p with no tears and solid 60fps. CoD runs like this, and it's still a great experience on the XB1.

I'd rather have 1080p stigma than juddering framerate or less detail stigma. MS cannot match PS4 in all games, so IMO better to just stick to what is best for their machine which I think is compromising on the resolution - they have to compromise on something.

I'm so sick and tired of the console getting mediocre graphics settings while the PC gets the luxury of tuning the game to fit the gamer's needs. Consoles should get the same treatment.

Isn't that why* you buy a console? To not have to spend 'hours trying to get games to run'? You buy a console for the convenience and price right?

*Aside from exclusives and gaming with your friends.

Huggers

900p and 1080p is a big difference but surely as they push the consoles harder later into the gen and PS4 games start popping up with lower resolutions, you wonder where the Xbox One version will be. Personally I'm happy to take a resolution hit if 60fps is achieved. Looking at every other gen though this will not be the case. In a sense all these remasters are cool in that as a console only gamer I'll have lots of 60fps goodness

Also it is an absolute no brainer to include some graphics options

The problem for Microsoft if they try to hard to get devs get their game running at 1080p, the difference between the PS4 and Xbox One visuals will be even more obvious. Unless MS manages to keep things down and devs won't exploit the PS4 to its full potential because of equity.

Anyway I'm glad that developpers are getting aware of the importance of image quality and framerate. Bells and whistles are nice, but they don't last long, fluidity and image quality are timeless.

derfybzh

When the last of us was released on ps3 it doesn't forbid the gamers to have fun. So what's more important crap on 1080p or games that are really good ? some enjoy the content more than the Paper gift

rjcc

in what way are these two things relevant to each other? Call of Duty Ghosts is a waste of a game and a substandard entry in the series. I wouldn't want to play it in 8K at 1000fps, because it would still be boring. Sure, higher res and higher framerate titanfall would be great, but it's not the same game. What one runs at has nothing to do with the other.

Pikma

Banned
http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/19/6045141/diablo-microsoft-resolution

In my opinion, the Xbox One should be running ALL games at 1080p and 60fps. It should be a requirement. If your game doesn't run at 1080p and 60fps...go back to the drawing table.

Oh yeah, because all that matters in video games is that they have to be 1080p and 60fps, otherwise everything is unplayable shit that should be banned from existence, right?

Tired of this white-or-black hyperbolic shit...

Toki767

Microsoft is fighting a losing battle in this. Better for them to take the Nintendo route. Everyone knows Nintendo doesn't have the most powerful console, but in the end, they make fun games that are almost always very smooth.

Just go for 900p and a stable framerate, use that new sdk power to add more graphical effects, I don't wanna see multiplats chained down by the 1080p demand for the Xbone and not being able to increase the visuals or fps.

What nonsense, if you want fine tuning your gaming needs to premium, you need to fork out extra money, on pc you can go as low or high as you want, for 399, you don't get that luxurious pc.

slapnuts

If you buy an $400 pc you also don't get the glorious PC graphics. Like said before, you get what u pay for.

Agreed and like one of the developers of Metro Last Light said, his name is Oles Shyshkovtsov, he clearly stated console hardware in these new consoles double the performance of the hardware they have...or how he said it is that the hardware inside the new consoles are double that of the PC equivalent hardware in performance. Basically what you see in that 400 dollar console would take probably a 800 dollars worth of PC components to match it. These are not my words, they are coming from a PC developer, a prominent PC developer that goes by the name of Oles Shyshkovtsov.

That said, personally i am more of a PC gamer than a console gamer but i do own a PS4 because of its exclusives and i would be lying to say that some of PS4's upcoming games don't match or exceed what I've seen running on my current PC which is a 3770k, 7970Ghz Edition, 16gb ddr3 ram,etc. DC for PS4 as one example. I also would be a fool to say my PC cannot outmatch my PS4 in resolution and a higher degree of IQ. but there is no doubt that once Sony's first party studios start to harness to the metal of PS4's hardware we are going to be blown away by some of those PS4 games that yes will rival that of a fairly high end PC at a 1080p level. Of course any good gaming PC will be able to achieve a higher resolution, added AA and AF,etc but for a $400 dollar PS4, you get a hell of a lot of bang for the buck in terms of what it will be about to perform graphically....there is no $400 dollar pc out there that can match it, heck it came straight from the horses mouth Mr Oles Shyshkovtsov himself said it and many other developers have said it time and time again...consoles basically because of its closed box setup and optimizations to the metal can double the performance of PC equivalent hardware and that's true, completely true.

At the end of the day though...what really matters is that PC is now becoming a more popular gaming platform and i am just very excited to see that there are more and more PC exclusives starting to come out now that are taking more advantage of PC hardware.It reminds me of the late 90's and early 2k years where we had so many cutting edge exclusive PC games coming out.

My PS4 is for PS4 exclusives, everything else will be played on my PC. I have my PC connected to my big screen tv in the living room sitting next to my ps4...so 1080p is the resolution i use even on my PC....until high end 4k HDTVs come down to more affordable prices but exciting times for both console and PC gamers indeed!

Riky

$MSFT
Forza 5 looks brilliant to me and it is rock solid 60fps, if Microsoft thought the machine was always going to output 1080p then they wouldn't have originally had a sharpening filter in the scaler or have spent so much time on display planes.

Kezen

Banned
I'm primarily a PC gamer and I have no issues with resolution on consoles.
I played and loved Alan Wake in pristine 540p.

I think all this bickering about resolution is a tad excessive. 900p is perfectly fine.

Hermii

Forza 5 looks brilliant to me and it is rock solid 60fps, if Microsoft thought the machine was always going to output 1080p then they wouldn't have originally had a sharpening filter in the scaler or have spent so much time on display planes.

I think they probably miscalculated how much people were going to care about 1080p.

Honestly on a TV with good scaling resolution isn't a big factor to me. I would obviously prefer higher resolutions, but I can deal with 720p. I think having a high, and stable framerate is much more important. 60fps is greatly preferred, but I think the absolute minimum any game should run at is 30fps that is consistent 99% of the time. Also no screen tearing, ever.

I would happily welcome some graphical options on console games.

Leb

Agreed and like one of the developers of Metro Last Light said, his name is Oles Shyshkovtsov, he clearly stated console hardware in these new consoles double the performance of the hardware they have...or how he said it is that the hardware inside the new consoles are double that of the PC equivalent hardware in performance. Basically what you see in that 400 dollar console would take probably a 800 dollars worth of PC components to match it. These are not my words, they are coming from a PC developer, a prominent PC developer that goes by the name of Oles Shyshkovtsov.

Not that it's particularly relevant, but if you do a close reading of the interview you keep citing, it seems pretty likely that 4A didn't yet have a PS4 devkit (look at how in-depth the technical discussion of the PS3 is compared to the cursory discussion of the PS4's Jaguar cores and a high-level overview of the GPU, e.g.). As for the 2x quote, that seems like a pretty direct reference to Carmack's now famous tweet from 2011, which was necessarily referring to the last-gen consoles.

I'm certain you'll disagree with my assessment, but the notion that the PS4 can do 2x the performance when compared to equivalent PC hardware is simply not borne out in multiplat performance... which I'm gathering doesn't count, to your mind.

MaxiLive

Consoles also enjoy the sub $500 price point for great looking games. Why get into technical details if the game plays fine and looks great?!

Then if you desperately want that image quality and technical performnce then PC is the only answer which my guess would be around $900-1200 to run next-gen games at 1080p-60fps. I currently have a £700-800 PC which can run every game at the moment beyond 60fps+ but the likes of Witcher 3 and such which probably kill that dream :p

sobaka770

Banned
Watch Dogs is 900p on PS4 and the difference between this title and AC4 which runs native after a patch is very noticeable. I have a 42-inch TV, but my flat is not too big so I sit quite close to the telly. Those jaggies everywhere in Chicago... the blur... the general haze all over the screen. It's not as jarring as going back to PS3 or XboX360 (played with friends on his PS3 - never again), but it's there/

There is quite a big IQ drop. On my laptop I would rather disable all textures, effects, shaders etc. than drop the resolution.

When you have a proper Full HD TV and the game runs native, it's very noticeable. And no 900p or 912p or, even worse, 798p in Titanfall is even close to being acceptable, especially if the competition runs native. Microsoft knows this. They try to curb the damage with PR, but what they really need is a software miracle to make their underpowered hardware deliver at least something capable of rivaling PS4.

Human_me

Personally what Ideally want is:
1080p but 30fps

900p but 60fps.

Yes I know system power doesn't scale that way but those two I find somewhat expectable.

900p at 30fps is ok I suppose but, I would like better :/

And sure 1080p at 60fps is the best.

Anything lower than 1600x900 resolution I find unacceptable for a supposed "next gen" (now current gen) console.

Fuz

Banned

Unfortunately, your opinion won't make the Xbox One more powerful.

boneso

Last generation resolution wasn't even a topic of discussion.

No one cared, or even questioned, when games were consistently running with sub-HD resolutions. Most modern games on PS3 and 360 were rendered at less than 720p. It didn't matter because everyone was happy with the jump from SD to HD. That same jump is not going to happen this generation. Games will obviously look better than last gen, but gamers are expecting too much, i was myself. This is why i have moved to PC gaming, i was underwhelmed by my PS4. So i sold it and built myself a gaming PC, haven't looked back. I will probably buy another new console in the future when the exclusives are unmissable, but for now, for 3rd party games, graphics, resolution and framerate, the PC is all i need.

Now to the OP...

The PS4 and Xbone are essentially gaming PC in all but name and form-factor. If a $1000+ gaming PC can just about manage to run a game at 1080p60, with a high level of graphical settings, what in the world makes you believe that the same game can run at the same graphical fidelity on a $400 "PC"? Let alone you demanding that it does so...

P.S: If your so "sick and tired" of consoles not getting the "luxury" of PC gaming, then bite the bullet and buy or build a PC. Stop whining about it like the console manufacturers and games developers owe you something.

Caayn

Who gives a shit. Can you play InFamous or TLoU with it?
We all know that PC has no exclusives and that Sony exclusives are the only real exclusives /s

The point was that a 120$ card can already beat the consoles that aren't even on the market for a year. That's embarrassing.

Genio88

I'm primarily a PC gamer and I have no issues with resolution on consoles.
I played and loved Alan Wake in pristine 540p.

I think all this bickering about resolution is a tad excessive. 900p is perfectly fine.

Me too, i play everything on my powerful PC 1080p/ultra and 60fps when i can, but it doesn't bother me to play the console exclusives at 900p on my Xbox One, i've already played Ryse and Dead Rising 3 which are sub 1080p but pretty good games.

Genio88

We all know that PC has no exclusives and that Sony exclusives are the only real exclusives /s

The point was that a 120$ card can already beat the consoles that aren't even on the market for a year. That's embarrassing.

I don't think the new Halo, Gears of War, Crackdown, Forza and Scalebound will arrive on PC, so Xbox has its real exclusives too, that said it's not even true that PC doesn't have exclusives, there are a lot of indies which are PC exclusives and stuff like, Dota 2, LOL, Counter Strike ecc

Whatever the result, I'd rather we got the games that Blizzard want to put out rather than what MS made them put out; I have no reason to think that what MS want us to have is more likely to give us a good result than what Bliz do. Obviously, though, console makers working with Devs is a good thing.

Top Bottom