• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

JPS2 version isn't proper 240p unless you have access to homebrew to force the resolution. Otherwise it's supposed to be good.

Also if you are a cheapass you can get it off XBL for like $10

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
360 Garou is the way to go. best price, best performance other than arcade, and easy to get good sticks for it. Gato is my man

PureXbox

Banned
I finally got round to unpacking the Hanzo Scanliner/VGA box for my DC a while ago, and thought I'd spray my old DC black and dark grey to match my cab and other systems while I was at it :)

blackdc.jpg

Could have just bought the SEGA Sports one but where's the fun in that?

hanzo.jpg

My potted review of the Hanzo box is that its kind of awesome. I haven't found any games that it's incompatible with yet (although I have to say I haven't tried a great deal) and the effect is really nice on my arcade cab screen/DELL monitor that I couldn't be bothered to put a bezel around. (I explained to everyone who asked that the space around the screen was for "cooling purposes.") :)

ps1.jpg

Thoroughly recommended. You have to get them from the guy that makes them over at the Assembler Games forum, and it takes a few weeks as he's always got orders on, but I'm happy with it. Means I don't need to mess around with cables anymore. Dreamcast on VGA, and emulation PC on DVI. Cable splitter in place to make the speakers work from either the Hanzo or the PC without switching anything - works great!

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can change the height of the scanlines. I've got it on the max setting in that picture, but some will prefer a subtler effect.

Is it safe to get GD-ROMs 'resurfaced'/ran through a scratch remover?

I've got a couple originals I've picked up that intermittently boot - Tony Hawk 1/2 and Jet Grind.

THPS 2 and JGR are scratched to hell and occasionally boot, but THPS1 is almost pristine and I've *never* gotten past the Sega splash screen with it.

I seem to remember something about there being a security marker that doesn't respond well to SkipDrs Etc.

baphomet

Something looks very off with those hanzo scanlines. Looks like there's way too much space between them. May just be the picture though.

Is it wrong that some of my best memories with my Dreamcast were playing Sonic Shuffle and messing with the UI calander to alter games affected by it?

purg3

slept with Malkin
picked these up today for fairly cheap at a local store. Getting closer to closing out my DC collection. They had a few more I wanted to get but I could probably find them cheaper elsewhere so I held off.

Anyone know where to by replacement DC jewelcases for cheap? These are in pretty bad shape and I have some others I would like to swap out.

Green goblin is a weird stick. I think of it like a compliment to the Hori Namco PS1 stick.

Whereas the Namco has a wannabe Sanwa JLF lever and wannabe Seimitsu PS-15 buttons, the Agetec does the opposite with a lever that wants to be an Seimitsu LS-32 and buttons that want to be Sanwa OBSFs.

While neither are on the level of arcade-spec parts, they're bith really nice sticks to have.

oneida

Green goblin is a weird stick. I think of it like a compliment to the Hori Namco PS1 stick.

Whereas the Namco has a wannabe Sanwa JLF lever and wannabe Seimitsu PS-15 buttons, the Agetec does the opposite with a lever that wants to be an Seimitsu LS-32 and buttons that want to be Sanwa OBSFs.

While neither are on the level of arcade-spec parts, they're bith really nice sticks to have.
I'll keep my expectations in check, but man, it'll be hard to find something worse for FGs than the DC pad!

TRI Mike

Damn it. I'm gonna have to plug my DC back this weekend to visit the old games again. I have some of its best games like Soul Calibur, Sonic Adv 1/2, Dead or Alive 2 and Shenmue. This is pretty awesome.

oneida

picked these up today for fairly cheap at a local store. Getting closer to closing out my DC collection. They had a few more I wanted to get but I could probably find them cheaper elsewhere so I held off.

Anyone know where to by replacement DC jewelcases for cheap? These are in pretty bad shape and I have some others I would like to swap out.
some stuff to dick around with in vf3tb:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/dreamcast/199201-virtua-fighter-3tb/faqs/17588

video of the desert snowman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SbX6SshvIk

PureXbox

Banned
Something looks very off with those hanzo scanlines. Looks like there's way too much space between them. May just be the picture though.

Like I say, there are settings to play with so you can change the effect. But yeah, the picture doesn't do it the most justice either if I'm honest. Looks much better "in the flesh" so to speak. :)

i got a backup dreamcast, memory card, controller, 5 games, and a light gun at a garage sale last weekend for 10 bucks :)

by backup i mean this one is on standby if my main one ever dies

kunonabi

pic of latest haul:

Puyo Puyo seems fun with a nice selection of modes

DeSpiria is wonderfully twisted.

Haven't tried the rest yet.

DC collecting might take a backseat for awhile. Have everything I REALLY want now and a couple of PSX and N64 games have caught my eye plus the rest of the year is going to be full with new 3DS/Wii U releases as well.

SHL23

Banned
do you need to modify your dc games to play imports? i know it can play burned games but read somewhere you cant play imports

Koren

i got a backup dreamcast, memory card, controller, 5 games, and a light gun at a garage sale last weekend for 10 bucks :)

by backup i mean this one is on standby if my main one ever dies
The principal thing I wish I did linked to video gaming would be buying a spare, new, DC. I don't even dare booting mine, even if I love many games on it (the Sakura Taisen complete series, for example).

It's apparently such a weak hardware that I don't really want buying a used one. Besides, I really don't like buying second-hand.

I dream of a retro N5-like system for DC...

Mattiator

I haven't owned a dreamcast since release, the wifey wants to get me one for Christmas. Any advice for finding and buying the console, and are vga adapters any good?

Timu

I haven't owned a dreamcast since release, the wifey wants to get me one for Christmas. Any advice for finding and buying the console, and are vga adapters any good?
They are the best way to get maximum picture quality out of your Dreamcast as I have one as well, a Tomee VGA adapter that is.

oneida

been making some gifs of VF3tb from nullDC emulation...

tumblr_nb2t8iAYb71slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_nb0vseC4K81slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_nb0uk3zT281slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_nb0udti4xy1slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_nb2ts7nvs21slig2vo1_400.gif

playing as alphabet man:
tumblr_nb33g0Ewa11slig2vo1_400.gif

tumblr_nb33muzBBM1slig2vo1_400.gif

kage's secret win pose:
tumblr_nb33uxNRGn1slig2vo1_400.gif

Top Bottom