• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

35 Minutes of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

So friggin good!

The timing of this release is really perfect too.

I should be done with Dragon Age: Inquisition right around the time this drops.

-Deimos

We have.

Plus the game is designed and told so players who never played any Witcher games before wouldn`t feel lost and disconnected. We`ve put a lot of effort into it.

Also this book will be released to help get into the story:

Awesome, I'm reading through the books now but I'll be picking up a copy of this as well.

misho8723

Banned
We have.

Plus the game is designed and told so players who never played any Witcher games before wouldn`t feel lost and disconnected. We`ve put a lot of effort into it.

I hope that this doesn't mean that for us who played previous games, the first few hours of W3 are going to be painfully slow and like "yeah, i know who this is, yeah i know about this event, yeah i know about this region, go on already", you know?

I hope that this doesn't mean that for us who played previous games, the first few hours of W3 are going to be painfully slow and like "yeah, i know who this is, yeah i know about this event, yeah i know about this region, go on already", you know?

I know. And no, it`s not like that. We make games we want to play ourselves;)

misho8723

Banned
I know. And no, it`s not like that. We make games we want to play ourselves;)

Oh, ok.. that's great to hear :).. may i ask, are you going to showing the game played with mouse+keyborad sometime in the future? Showing how can you play with the menu, inventory, etc. with M+K ?

demolitio

That was glorious. As much as the graphics are talked about, I really find myself more impressed with the universe more than anything. I usually don't get too involved in the stories of most games (like Dragon Age I'd only play for the gameplay), but The Witcher series has an extremely intriguing world that had me looking for all the extra details I could get in The Witcher 2.

Watching this makes me upset that I probably won't be able to upgrade my PC anytime soon since the VA sucks balls.

-Deimos

Oh, ok.. that's great to hear :).. may i ask, are you going to showing the game played with mouse+keyborad sometime in the future? Showing how can you play with the menu, inventory, etc. with M+K ?

Speaking of controls, is it possible to play with both a controller and M/KB at the same time?

I've been using a joystick to control movement and the mouse for aiming for some 3rd person games. It would be nice if I could do the same in W3.

Loved the video. It looks incredible even considering we are 5 months from release, I can't wait to see the final project. My favorite rpg series, by my favorite studio; gimme more!

SJRB

Gold Member
Watched it again, the character design of the Ladies of the Wood is abhorring. Really well done.

I also love the walk through the swamps. You feel that there's danger all around you.

So should I jump into this on PS4 or wait until I one day get a decent PC and can play through the first two?

I'd hate going straight into the third game if it's a story focused series :\

Ethelwulf

So should I jump into this on PS4 or wait until I one day get a decent PC and can play through the first two?

Well, that depends on how long are you willing wait until you buy a PC. Because of your wording, I suppose you do have the money to buy a PS4. Have you considered any other exclusive PS4 game? Bloodborne? In that case, I highly recommend you to go for a PS4, otherwise if you are patient enough go for a PC. The game is coming out in six months so no rush. Anyway, good luck with your decision and in the end you won't be disappointed. Both choices are great!

abunai

I'd recommend to go for the PC route just because the first witcher is one of the finest stories I've had the pleasure of experiencing, even if the gameplay was not stellar (I still found it fun, but it wasn't great). The atmosphere/narrative combination and music are easily enough to push the game into my all-time top 10, regardless of anything else.

It'd be a shame to miss out on the experience for sure, but nobody can really tell you which option is better for yourself, as we don't know the nuances of your preferences when it comes to gaming.

Either way, the third game will most likely be excellent, just as the other two games are. If you go for the PS4 route, you could always just read the books to "make up" for not playing the first two.

I'd recommend to go for the PC route just because the first witcher is one of the finest stories I've had the pleasure of experiencing, even if the gameplay was not stellar (I still found it fun, but it wasn't great). The atmosphere/narrative combination and music are easily enough to push the game into my all-time top 10, regardless of anything else.

It'd be a shame to miss out on the experience for sure, but nobody can really tell you which option is better for yourself, as we don't know the nuances of your preferences when it comes to gaming.

Either way, the third game will most likely be excellent, just as the other two games are. If you go for the PS4 route, you could always just read the books to "make up" for not playing the first two.

I'll echo this as well. W1 had a fantastic story with an odd combat style. But it really is one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. The city, the swamps, the village. Ahhh, so good.

I'd hate going straight into the third game if it's a story focused series :

You could watch a lets play on Youtube. I've played the game, but just wanted to lay on the couch. ChristopherOdd on YouTube has a really really well done let's play of The Witcher(and 2) that was very entertaining to watch. You could watch, but you should play.

Dark_castle

ibfVhZuYXfYkjF.gif

I never once played The Witcher 1 but the story was so captivating and interesting in the sequel that I did not had a tough time to know what it is all about. That is something that not a lot of developers can do, even if they base the story from a book. I was watching the video for the full length of it, but it felt like I was watching a movie. Halfway through the video I grabbed a drink and some snacks in order to enjoy the rest.

I'll echo this as well. W1 had a fantastic story with an odd combat style. But it really is one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. The city, the swamps, the village. Ahhh, so good.

You are awesome people.

Nothing like sitting by the fire in the middle of the swamp at night to prepare to hunt down a beast, with all those weird noises coming from all directions through your headset, making you wonder what's out there.
Sound design was excellent in the first game. Overall they just nailed it when it came to atmosphere.

I think my favorite part is all the life you see in the first part in the city and around it.

You can see birds, dogs, goose, sheep, farmers, childs playing, people talking, musicians, mercenaries, guards, dock workers, prostitutes, courtesans, other people on horse, traders, woodcutters, someone on the moat on a little ship, and a long etc.

On the other hand they may have removed rolling.... but the new dash sometimes is super long in reach (like in one of the moments fighting against the harpies, he seems to make a double dash backwards). So in the end you still have roll, functionally speaking, it's just looks slightly less stupid.

You can see birds, dogs, goose, sheep, farmers, childs playing, people talking, musicians, mercenaries, guards, dock workers, prostitutes, courtesans, other people on horse, traders, woodcutters, someone on the moat on a little ship, and a long etc.

To be fair this was already very well done in the previous games. There's always a ton of animals and people around and even in the first they already had some basic AI routines like running for shelter when it started to rain.

The dash seems to be overpowered because the distance you can create is huge. I also dislike the fact that the Quinn powers regen super quick, so you can actually keep on using them without having to hit your enemies.

I hope there is a more advanced difficulty in that regard.

The dash seems to be overpowered because the distance you can create is huge. I also dislike the fact that the Quinn powers regen super quick, so you can actually keep on using them without having to hit your enemies.

I hope he is playing on very easy, notice the stamina bar is used when he uses a sign but is charging up in 2 seconds flat.

TW1 is one of the most atmospheric game ever created. When I first tried it, it was a clunky mess with incomprehensible dialogues, so i said fuck it and threw the disc away. Then the Enhanced Edition came, I decided to fire it up again, and this time it ran really smooth but the combat put me off so much I decided to put it away, again. Then TW2 was coming, I was so interested in it that I decided to give TW1 one more chance. And thank god I did, this time everything just clicked, I even love the combat. The atmosphere, the music, the lanscape, OMG I couldn't stop playing for days. Some days I just stood and look at the lake when the music was playing, looking at the sunset, some days I wandered about the field, look at the noonwraith from afar, then head back to the nearby inn for a beer.

Listening to this music when sipping on an ale is enough for a day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCk7wpk5Fys&list=RDdCk7wpk5Fys#t=9

I am pretty sure this is easy mode, to showcase the game. You wouldn't want to see Geralt die and die again on stage do you? :p

I hope he is playing on very easy, notice the stamina bar is used when he uses a sign but is charging up in 2 seconds flat.

Yeah, that is what I meant. The entire game can be done with just dashing and using the signs judging by this gameplay video.

If my memory is not failing me I know that in The Witcher 2 the signs regen when you hit an enemy. I hope this will be the case here as well.

If my memory is not failing me I know that in The Witcher 2 the signs regen when you hit an enemy. I hope this will be the case here as well.

I played it for a second time not too long ago. You have 2-5 stamina "pips" (the skill tree unlocks them, only in the late game and depending of your build you will have the maximum), and they are used with each sign, and each pip need several seconds to recharge.

Yeah, that is what I meant. The entire game can be done with just dashing and using the signs judging by this gameplay video.

Maybe all these complaints about TW2 being too hard really got to them? :)
I want the game to be really challenging, especially when fighting rare monsters, so I hope it doesn't turn out to be too easy.
I also hope they take a few pages out of the semi-official combat mods, giving more importance to having the right oils and potions for specific types of monsters.

I played it for a second time not too long ago. You have 2-5 stamina "pips" (the skill tree unlocks them, only in the late game and depending of your build you will have the maximum), and they are used with each sign, and each pip need several seconds to recharge.

My memory has failed me.

It did feel just right. You had to carefully use the signs for each scenario and not just spam them.

Well, that depends on how long are you willing wait until you buy a PC. Because of your wording, I suppose you do have the money to buy a PS4. Have you considered any other exclusive PS4 game? Bloodborne? In that case, I highly recommend you to go for a PS4, otherwise if you are patient enough go for a PC. The game is coming out in six months so no rush. Anyway, good luck with your decision and in the end you won't be disappointed. Both choices are great!

Oh I already have the PS4, jumped on the $399 deal here in Australia.

Was just debating on getting Witcher on PS4, or skipping it until I can play through the entire trilogy on PC which could be years from now. I really don't have space for it at my parents place now (unless I hooked it up to the TV and played with a gamepad, basically treating it like a console), and I'm trying to buy a car and then move out either later this year or early next year, which will be taxing on my finances...

ugoo18

Finally downloaded and watched the Gamersyde video.............. WOW CDPR are damm good at what they do.

So based on that Interview for this what kind of settings would a laptop with these specs comfortably run this game at and what kind of framerate anyway?

CPU: Intel 4th Gen. i7-4710HQ 2.5GHz(Turbo 3.5GHz)
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600
Graphic: Nvidia GTX 870M Graphics
6GB DDR5 Dedicated VGA

Daverid

His shadow appears to have no hear :/....

Actually if you watch the shadows as he trots into Novigrad, you'll notice that many of the human shadows don't even have heads.

Definitely there's many kinks still to be ironed out, I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping they can pull it off. Too many bugs and issues and people will be annoyed since they spent the extra months delay promising to do just that (Nobody is expecting a bug free game, that's absurd, but definitely too many issues and it will become a problem).

valkyre

Just look at the shadow accuracy/resolution and the hair physics. So very impressive.

LiquidUltimateGreatwhiteshark.gif

It indeed looks super impressive but it also highlights some problems with the lack of tessellation in human hair. Look at Geralt's hair for example. Its a direct contrast to the fur and it looks like the classic "hair helmet" we are accustomed to.

I dont know why they dont use tessellation for his hair, like Tomb Rider did.

Kezen

Banned
It indeed looks super impressive but it also highlights some problems with the lack of tessellation in hair. Look at Geralt's hair for example. Its a direct contrast to the fur and it looks like the classic "hair helmet" we are accustomed to.

Hairworks uses isoline tessellation.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1857714#post1857714
The Hairworks authoring pipeline they have shown indeed seems fairly complete, but my (obviously biased although informed) opinion is that the effect in itself lacks in quality and performance. It really requires MSAA enabled to start looking OK, which I think is an unreasonable requirement to ask of (usually deferred) game engines. The use of isoline tessellation is also a performance hog

I think it looks pretty good.

valkyre

Hairworks uses isoline tessellation.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=1857714#post1857714

I think it looks pretty good.

Thanks for the info. To me everything that has to do with hair or fur looks great except for Geralt's hair.

It certainly is not the best i've seen and at times really looks rough. His hair move like he wears a helmet. Dont know if I make much sense but a looks at Tomb Rider I think explains it better.

MaxiLive

It indeed looks super impressive but it also highlights some problems with the lack of tessellation in human hair. Look at Geralt's hair for example. Its a direct contrast to the fur and it looks like the classic "hair helmet" we are accustomed to.

Performance + Nvidia tech?

For such a small part of the game and the amount of hair being used I doubt losing 5-10% of overall performance is worth it as it would mean cutting down the shadow quality of other parts of the graphics to keep the performance smooth.

valkyre

Performance + Nvidia tech?

For such a small part of the game and the amount of hair being used I doubt losing 5-10% of overall performance is worth it as it would mean cutting down the shadow quality of other parts of the graphics to keep the performance smooth.

I dont disagree with you at all, just making conversation in regards to this subject. Hopefully I thought they found some workaround so as not to have such impact on performance. Nitpicking I know, but I never said I wont experience this masterpiece because of some hair not being 100% next gen. ;)

-SD-

Banned
downgrade or this is from one/ps4..
Yup. The swamp, Geralt etc. do not look nearly as good in this latest video as in those early screens. This was posted on TW3 forums. Yes, the image quality is terrible in the comparison shot but the downgrade is clear, nevertheless.

Vs3ne6l.jpg

Yup. The swamp, Geralt etc. do not look nearly as good in this latest video as in those early screens. This was posted on TW3 forums. Yes, the image quality is terrible in the comparison shot but the downgrade is clear, nevertheless.

Vs3ne6l.jpg

Let's please not start another thread with this "downgrade" bullshit. Every. Single. Game.

Nordicus

There's always a ton of animals and people around and even in the first they already had some basic AI routines like running for shelter when it started to rain.
It blew my mind that they had something like that on an engine made for Neverwinter Nights.

Kezen

Banned
Thanks for the info. To me everything that has to do with hair or fur looks great except for Geralt's hair.
It certainly is not the best i've seen and at times really looks rough. His hair move like he wears a helmet. Dont know if I make much sense but a looks at Tomb Rider I think explains it better.
It could look better that's for sure and will most certainly have a hefty performance cost. That's why I don't think hair/fur physics will make into either console skus.

This will most likely be PC exclusive (AMD & Nvidia).
https://developer.nvidia.com/hairworks

Top Bottom