• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Raid would make for an incredible video game

FloatOn

lttp I know but I just watched The Raid 1 + 2 recently and I can't shake what an amazing video game it would be.

- I'd imagine it to be a 3d metroidvania similar to Arkham Asylum but with verticality.

- Combat and gunplay similar to Sleeping Dogs.

- Light stealth elements like any of the more modern games with a stealth aspect.

So yeah, this is something that I want and I'd die happy if it were to happen. I'm a big fan of both the brawler and metroidvania genre of game and the synthesis of both I believe would be great for the industry.

Even if were not tied to the movie someone needs to run with this type of game. There really needs to be more games set within 1 location rather than sprawl or sandbox.

You know you'd play it.

giphy.gif

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Love the two movies....some of the best action flicks ever.
Can't wait for the third one.
And yeah, would make a great game.

Play some Sleeping Dogs

It was great but the only similar thing to The Raid was that it had a cast of asian dudes.

I hope we'll get to the point, someday, in which some fight scenes from The Raid can be replicated by actual gameplay. Maybe someday.

Today, Sleeping Dogs is the closest we're going to get probably.

DMiz

... Off-topic (I guess?), but how did they even film that? That looks like a crazy stunt.

The only things I can immediately think of is either:

1) That isn't a real person - just a doll that's been touched up to look like more life-like. Maybe stuffed with some stiffer foam to allow it to retain that shape while he's being pulled through the air.

2) He's wearing a LOT of stuffing around the neck to prevent injury?

It just looks so incredible... can't imagine the amount of hours the stunt team put in to get it just right and to ensure nobody got hurt.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Aβydoς;126268409 said:
It was great but the only similar thing to The Raid was that it had a cast of asian dudes.

Or you know, the whole story about badass cop going undercover to take down a gang and almost forgetting where his allegiances lie?

... Off-topic (I guess?), but how did they even film that? That looks like a crazy stunt.

1) That isn't a real person - just a doll that's been touched up to look like more life-like. Maybe stuffed with some stiffer foam to allow it to retain that shape while he's being pulled through the air.

It just looks so incredible... can't imagine the amount of hours the stunt team put in to get it just right and to ensure nobody got hurt.

YOU.

Get off GAF and watch The Raid. The second one isn't as good, but that first one will make you wonder why action films aren't always this good.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Or you know, the whole story about badass cop going undercover to take down a gang and almost forgetting where his allegiances lie?

That's more the plot of the second one than that of the first movie. In The Raid: Redemption, Rama is very much one cop from a squad of many. He doesn't go undercover, and his allegiances are not really tested (well, except for the fact that
his brother is one of the bad guys, though not a bad bad guy
).

Someone obviously needs to make Streets of Raid.

Or is that Sleeping Dogs as well?

It's not. It's a really good action movie, but the pace is worse, and it certainly wasn't as refreshing as the first.

I completely agree. The Raid 2 is a pretty good movie, but it's not as good as Redemption. I can understand that the producers and the director wanted to make a sequel that went beyond "this is a really violent action movie" and give Rama and the rest of the characters some substance... but, man, it's so slow at times...

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'd love to see an engine developed squarely for intense, kinetic and brutal hand-to-hand combat, akin to The Raid series. We need something that makes one feel like they're playing a Raid-like game.

They already made one game though -

32248-kung-fu-master-nes-screenshot-on-the-first-levels.jpg

BUT REALLY, I think it falls into the same category as Jackie Chan films where there's so much physical context to the action on screen that it's hard to translate into clumsy gameplay.

The hope is just that enough developers will see it and maybe 10 years from now some of it's DNA will leak into a team planning a setpiece.

That car shootout in the second movie, uunf. I'd kill to get that practical camerawork in a game.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

I think the door frame that he falls on is foam.

Newboi

The Raid 2 is the GREATEST ACTION MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!!! I honestly can't see how the Raid 3 will top it (or any other action movie at that). The first 20 minutes of the film produced action scenes that would be the marquee finally of any top action movie.

I would love to see a game in the vain of these movies as well. It would need to a fast, visceral, and precise fighting engine. I would say some thing closer to Ninja Gaiden than a brawler or combo heavy action game like Devil May Cray.

Sleeping Dogs is awesome, but I don't think the action is quite as visceral as the raid (possibly because of the comedic notes added to everything...and the lack of blood). I would love for the combat system to be more intricate than what the current combat system allows. Not everything needs to be exactly like Arkham's fighting system.

abadguy

Banned
In before a bunch of people start stanning for Platinum Games.

I wonder if even they could do it, or even if it's possible at all.I guess if you remove any kind of blocking and just have parrying and side-stepping you could get close to it, make it like a very sped up Arkham Asylum. Enemies would also need to be really aggressive, like NG: Black aggressive.

YOU.

Get off GAF and watch The Raid. The second one isn't as good, but that first one will make you wonder why action films aren't always this good.

Only if by "isn't that good" you actually mean "one of the greatests action movies ever made"

i hoestly loved Judge Dredds version of The Raids plot better than The Raid. Dredd hs better lore to build off of because it was a long running comic series, so i agree tht the style of gameplay based on The Raid would be cool, but i'd rather have it based in the Dredd universe.

I'd love for some more martial arts games, sleeping dogs is definitely a step in the right direction. Jet li's rise to honor was ok iirc nothing special though.

AAK

Forget milking the Raid.... what's more important is to put a Silat fighter in Tekken/VF/DOA....

Oh yeah... and Mad Dog is GOAT

tumblr_mu0ndigqfv1qcmn28o1_500.jpg

Squalor

Only if by "isn't that good" you actually mean "one of the greatests action movies ever made"
He clearly said "as good," not "that good," and he's right. The second one, while really good, wasn't nearly as great as the first.

sflufan

Banned
He clearly said "as good," not "that good," and he's right. The second one, while really good, wasn't nearly as great as the first.

The first film is one of the most taut, well-paced action films ever made.

The second film is overlong and suffers from severe bloat because -- for some reason -- the producers/director was under the misapprehension that we actually gave a damn about the story.

i hoestly loved Judge Dredds version of The Raids plot better than The Raid. Dredd hs better lore to build off of because it was a long running comic series, so i agree tht the style of gameplay based on The Raid would be cool, but i'd rather have it based in the Dredd universe.

The only similarities between the two is it's set in an apartment complex, dredd has no martial arts at all

sub_o

Get Platinum or UFG to do it.

Maybe the Raid 2 more than the first one, since first one is mostly in drab grey building in Jakarta.

There's no fucking snow in Indonesia though, except for Puncak Jaya. Do we still own Irian Jaya?

Come to think of it, what if Sleeping Dogs like game but takes place in Jakarta

Traffic jam, flood, and PKL liar everywhere

Mandatory dangdut music, everyone will start doing goyang jempol

I mentions this in a thread a week or 2 ago. Arkham style beat em up with smart use of the environment and physics. Being able to disarm people and throw them through windows and shit. I can't even how awesome playing the boss battle of the bat swinger dude and the hammer girl would be. It could have some pretty awesome gunplay but very limited ammo to force lots of up close action. It could have awesome finishers like Ryse but it would have to be a faster game.

Some Nobody

The Raid (1) IS a video game. Just a series of amazing action sequences strung together by a few bits of an attempt at story. But yeah I wouldn't be mad at this. Theoretically, Arkham Knight could do at least a SCENE like this.

ViciousDS

Banned
U wot m8? Repeat that again?

the-raid-2-berendal-trailer-baseball-bat.jpg

can you give me my ball back sir,

*throws ball away*

You're going to regret that.

First movie was great

Second movie was just unfucking real, second movie is probably my number one of best action of movies of all time, dear lord the choreography.

I don't think any game engine would give the movie justice on the games if they ever made them. The movies were just way to good.

Erban1

Awesome movies. I prefer the Second for the cinematography, so many great shots and great editing. Unfortunately I can't think of any feasible way to make a game that emulates the complexity of the choreography and maintains a sense of control at the same time. I'd love to see someone take the challenge.

Z..

Look at his feet. It's cg.

Top Bottom