• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fusion Challenge - Jake "virt" Kaufman's new VGM fusion web series [episode 2 out]

Aeana

So Jake Kaufman, of Shantae / Contra 4 / Shovel Knight / Duck Tales Remastered / etc. fame has started a new web series. He's looking for strange or unconventional combos of games or game tracks and musical styles, and he'll be picking whichever he feels will challenge him the most.

He took his wife's suggestion for the first episode and fused Phoenix Wright with 80s synth rock. He explains the concept in his first video, so if you have any ideas, don't hesitate to let him know.

Episode 1: Phoenix Wright x 80s Synth Rock -- "Might as Well Object"
Episode 2: Super Mario Kart x Nine Inch Nails -- "Right Off Track"

Feep

Banned
God, I was JUST about to post this, Aeana.

Jake's wife Kristina is the nicest person ever. And also a chemistry genius. And also Jake is the bess. This song is hyper rad.

Aeana

Yeah, I love Jake and Kristi is awesome too. I wish Jake would actually use his GAF account sometimes!

jabuseika

Wow, that song mashup was pretty cool.

I love pretty much anything by him, I'll keep tabs on this for sure.

Also...

KoINI8y.jpg

TheOGB

Banned
Bm7lGi0CcAAp5cM.png:orig

No lies detected

This is the kind of thing I've been daydreaming of. I love his music, and this first song is pretty great, so I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this (and trying to remember all those mashup ideas I've had that he could pull off).

Well, this day is off to a far better start than I'd hoped following a night with very little sleep!

I expect good things from this indeed and hope it becomes a long running series.

Accoun

Yet to watch it (on mobile ATM), but what does he do? He just makes the track and shows it or is it more than that (for example it would actually show him making it)?

One way or another, he's awesome. :p

Aeana

Yet to watch it (on mobile ATM), but what does he do? He just makes the track and shows it or is it more than that (for example it would actually show him making it)?

One way or another, he's awesome. :p
Nah, most of the video is just the song playing back.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Turnabout Sisters really lends itself well to that 80's cheese, yeah I can behind this idea and I look forward to seeing what comes of this.

Workshops like this are fun and this one specifically promotes leitmotifing. I approve.

Bm7lGi0CcAAp5cM.png:orig

No lies detected

This is the kind of thing I've been daydreaming of. I love his music, and this first song is pretty great, so I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this (and trying to remember all those mashup ideas I've had that he could pull off).

This is hella true.

Subscribed. I'm a big fan of Jake's work so I look forward to seeing some more great music! Also I loved when the picture of Nugget came up, that dog's got to eat!

Knurek

Well, damn. That first track is awesome. Fits the concept too.

I hope he doesn't run out of joke ideas, Doritos+Mountain Dew, Mario 3+Halo 6 composition credits, that Koshiro+Kanno bit.
I'd wager those were more entertaining than the actual track - and the track was amazing.

Regiruler

Small unimportant tidbit: I'm fairly sure that shovel knight blip when he was throwing covers around was the finalized cover, which we haven't seen yet.

jett

D-Member
Small unimportant tidbit: I'm fairly sure that shovel knight blip when he was throwing covers around was the finalized cover, which we haven't seen yet.

Man don't remind me about the wait for that fucking game. I can't believe we still don't have a new release date.

Articalys

So I assume virt's normal work got really busy and he had to put this project on hold for a while?

Looking forward to it though.

These are amazing. I would love to see him do a bachata rosa / Juan Luis Guerra style version of Dragon Quest's Only Lonely Boy. That would be so neat.

Jhoan

Someone needs to make a GIF of the Solaire praising pose he does towards the beginning of the second video. It had me rolling with laughter.

Solid videos so far. Looking forward to seeing what he concocts next. Got a few Virt tunes from Double Dragon Neon that I listen to on my phone.

I was spoiled by working with him at my first game job (WayForward). He's a super nice guy and ridiculously talented. I'll have to check this series out.

Aeana

Yeah. Pretty disappointing that we haven't even heard about the winner of the vocal thing from the last episode.

Top Bottom