• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Appreciation and Lack of Emulation Thread of the big black box of doom

51cMRbycurL._SY300_.jpg

Sphynx its a great game!!! Everyone should play.

is the Xbox version the best one?

Borman

I have a review copy of Sphynx for the PS2 that I was suppose to sell to someone, but they kept disappearing. Fun game regardless of the console you play it on.

PCXB1FTW

Banned
What if the og xbox logo in the recent gamescom ad photo tweeted and facebooked by xbox meant they mean to stream the classics... like Crimson Skies, or Gladius?

SparkTR

Quick question, is the small rumble motor supposed to be so loud (I have one of those large, original controllers)? Also is Metal Arms any good? Sorry for the doublepost.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Quick question, is the small rumble motor supposed to be so loud (I have one of those large, original controllers)? Also is Metal Arms any good? Sorry for the doublepost.

The rumble in Xbox controllers is definietly audible, and it's louder than other controllers. It shouldn't be like... super loud or anything, but it does make some noise.

Metal Arms is a game that gets called underrated all the time, and doesn't deserve to. It was rated appropriately when it came out in 2002 -- as a decent (but not much more than that) game that's ultimately pretty forgettable.

Borman

W3OtpNW.jpg

Picked up this wonderful case today. Already have a complete version, and this is only the case, but my old one is in terrible condition so this can become a show piece for me.

Shaneus

W3OtpNW.jpg

Picked up this wonderful case today. Already have a complete version, and this is only the case, but my old one is in terrible condition so this can become a show piece for me.
Oh, so that font in your avatar was an actual thing used with the OG Xbox? It's a shame they didn't stick with that aesthetic for the retail package, I think it looks amazing.

Borman

Oh, so that font in your avatar was an actual thing used with the OG Xbox? It's a shame they didn't stick with that aesthetic for the retail package, I think it looks amazing.

Yep, it isn't something I made up hah. Ive recreated the logo, although I think someone else has since found a .svg for it.

Loved the Duke.

Haven't seriously considered a Microsoft console since the OG was killed by Microsoft and Xbox Sports did nothing.

NBA Inside Drive was limited, but it was my favorite BBall game at the time.
NFL Fever sucked.

Microsoft never did anything with the High Heat franchise....

674776-nba_inside_drive_2003_logo_270.gif

That said, I loved the Duke controller, and having a hard drive standard was the smartest thing in the world. I can't imagine Nintendo or Sony making that a standard component without Microsoft pushing the envelope.

Borman

Hey Borman I saw this on Reddit.
http://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/2ddxkv/what_is_this/

Have you ever seen a Dev Kit with a blue top before?

Already responded in that thread. If you look, the shielding is missing. Which means someone painted the top of it from the inside. Wasnt a terribly unusual thing back in the day. If you look at the case, there is a point where it is thicker in one spot so the blue doesnt shine through, which 100% confirms that it is painted. Plus, the fins arent blue, they are clear, showing it was painted from the inside.

Had an itch to get an OG Xbox again ever since I found this thread here, one facebook post later I had secured one for free from my realtor. I was warned it had been sitting in his garage for years accumulating dust and he wasn't sure if it even worked or not. Took me awhile to get it cleaned up but I am happy to report its working like a champ for my only remaining Xbox games Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Buffy Chaos Bleeds. Hoping its one of the later models without the capacitor issue. Now I just need to go buy some used games at a local chain and see if I can scare up the Bioware games and Baldurs Gate series.

SparkTR

Had an itch to get an OG Xbox again ever since I found this thread here, one facebook post later I had secured one for free from my realtor. I was warned it had been sitting in his garage for years accumulating dust and he wasn't sure if it even worked or not. Took me awhile to get it cleaned up but I am happy to report its working like a champ for my only remaining Xbox games Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Buffy Chaos Bleeds. Hoping its one of the later models without the capacitor issue. Now I just need to go buy some used games at a local chain and see if I can scare up the Bioware games and Baldurs Gate series.

Have fun, I got mine a few weeks ago and I think I've spent around $300 on games for it so far, the games are surprisingly expensive considering their age. Luckily I already got most of the bigger games on cheap Steam sales on PC so I just had to track down the smaller exclusive stuff. Otogi 1/2 and those two BG games really put a dent in my wallet :( ($130)

Shaneus

I knew I loved RSC2 but it had been a while since I'd played so I'd forgotten exactly why. Holy hell, if anyone in this thread hasn't played it in a while... do it.

zonipoi

Finally got my softmodded Xbox softmodded again after messing up. How can I get my ripped PAL games on the HDD to support 480p? Found some guides online and they seemed pretty vague. So what is the easiest way to do this?

I have Unleashed X running on the Xbox.

Finally got my softmodded Xbox softmodded again after messing up. How can I get my ripped PAL games on the HDD to support 480p? Found some guides online and they seemed pretty vague. So what is the easiest way to do this?

I have Unleashed X running on the Xbox.

You can rip any game to HDD and region switching is possible via the Unleash X dash settings iirc. Also idk about forcing 480p but you can certainly enable them in the video options of Unleash X.

zonipoi

That was surprisingly easy. Just burned video_select_v2_enigmah to CD-R and ran it on Xbox and it instantly changed to 480p.

Sorry for these but the next question is can I somehow patch the games on HDD to support widescreen?

Borman

That was surprisingly easy. Just burned video_select_v2_enigmah to CD-R and ran it on Xbox and it instantly changed to 480p.

Sorry for these but the next question is can I somehow patch the games on HDD to support widescreen?

Depends on the game, you'll have to be handy with a hex editor at the very least

Gunsmithx

Ok, got my xbox to USB cord and my buddy is bring by splinter cell tomorrow, wish me luck softmodding!

On another note, for those that have tried, should I do a HDD upgrade with the hotswap or using my pc?

I was able to pick up a Xbox with 11 games (Blinx: The Time Sweeper, Darkwatch, Doom 3, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Metal Gear Solid 2, NBA Street V3, Stubbs the Zombie, Tony Hawk's Underground, Wreckless The Yakuza Missions, X-Men Legends) on ebay for $30 (with a $5 off coupon). There were a few problems with it though the main problem being the disc drive doesn’t open all the time but the console still works. The console also didn’t have a power cord or a controller but I was able to find them a local store. Unfortunately that console seems to be updated to 1.6 and after a quick search on the internet it seems that the update broke 480p for Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I had a few questions can the xbox do 16:9 and 480p at the same time? If you softmod can you force 16:9 and 480p on games and if so how hard is it to change games to 16:9 and 480p?

Borman

I was able to pick up a Xbox with 11 games (Blinx: The Time Sweeper, Darkwatch, Doom 3, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Metal Gear Solid 2, NBA Street V3, Stubbs the Zombie, Tony Hawk's Underground, Wreckless The Yakuza Missions, X-Men Legends) on ebay for $30 (with a $5 off coupon). There were a few problems with it though the main problem being the disc drive doesn’t open all the time but the console still works. The console also didn’t have a power cord or a controller but I was able to find them a local store. Unfortunately that console seems to be updated to 1.6 and after a quick search on the internet it seems that the update broke 480p for Panzer Dragoon Orta.

I had a few questions can the xbox do 16:9 and 480p at the same time? If you softmod can you force 16:9 and 480p on games and if so how hard is it to change games to 16:9 and 480p?

Its up to the game whether or not they support widescreen, 480p, or some combination of both. Some do, some don't. Some games can be hex edited for 480p support if they lack it, and some can be hex edited for widescreen support too.

Its up to the game whether or not they support widescreen, 480p, or some combination of both. Some do, some don't. Some games can be hex edited for 480p support if they lack it, and some can be hex edited for widescreen support too.

Thank you for the information. I think I figure out 16:9 on the Xbox using Spawn: Armageddon which has a widescreen toggle. My TV continues to say the image is 4:3 but from what I can tell by Spawn is 16:9. I am guessing when I play games like Star Wars Battlefront 2 and The Punisher they will be 16:9 as long my Xbox is set to widescreen and Wikipedia is correct.

Borman

Yeah, there really isn't a widescreen standard for SD/EDTV content, so there is no proper output. Instead, it will output 480p that is distorted in a way that will look good on widescreen TVs. It's how the Wii operates as well.

kick51

Banned
Going through my annual "Play PSO offline for 10 hours then get bored of it again" marathon. Thankfully there's a gamertag on my xbox so I can actually access the offline mode.

*insert grumble about never being able to play the Hurricane Packs again here*

also, i really need to open the thing up and see if it has a bad capacitator.

Borman

Going through my annual "Play PSO offline for 10 hours then get bored of it again" marathon. Thankfully there's a gamertag on my xbox so I can actually access the offline mode.

*insert grumble about never being able to play the Hurricane Packs again here*

also, i really need to open the thing up and see if it has a bad capacitator.

I wouldnt say never, although it would never be quite the same as what it once was.

Gunsmithx

Ok I wonder if anyone can help, I have the cable to softmod the xbox but I'm having a hell of a time find a flash drive that will work. I found a list online but can't find any of them for sale as they are all older drives. If anyone can help much appreciated.

CO_Andy

Ok I wonder if anyone can help, I have the cable to softmod the xbox but I'm having a hell of a time find a flash drive that will work. I found a list online but can't find any of them for sale as they are all older drives. If anyone can help much appreciated.
You need a flash drive that's 2 GB or less, or you could just a 2 GB Micro SD connected to a USB adapter.

zonipoi

I had the same problem. Ordered few cheap ones and this worked.

The 4GB Sandisk Cruzer Blade works?
I can confirm that the 8GB Sandisk Cruzer Blade does not work, at least, as I just tried to use it a few minutes ago.

I finally found a smaller one that works, but now the Xbox won't find any of the files on it...

So, I'm having a bit of trouble and thought I'd ask for some advice...

When I copy the files over to my USB stick using Xplorer360 (beta 6), the save file isn't showing up when I connect it to my Xbox. I was able to copy over a save file from the Xbox's HDD over to the USB stick, but that file doesn't show up on Xplorer360. In short, I can put files on there using either the Xbox itself or Xplorer360, but they can only read the files that they put on there.

That should rule out something being wrong with either my USB cable or my USB drive, right? I'm just not understanding how they're transferring the files differently, or how to get the Xbox to recognize the files I'm transferring over on my PC. I should have known that softmodding wasn't as simple as it looked.

Danny Dudekisser

Man, nobody posts in this thread anymore.

I still haven't hooked my Xbox back up since I moved a couple months ago. I should really do that... and buy Tony Hawk 4, like I said I was gonna do.

Shaneus

I still haven't hooked my Xbox back up since I moved a couple months ago. I should really do that... and buy Tony Hawk 4, like I said I was gonna do.
Still looks great in 1080i. Plays damn fast, too... a lot faster than I remember :(

Borman

Been distracted by other things, like a job hah. Still collecting, dont worry :p

Danny Dudekisser

Been distracted by other things, like a job hah. Still collecting, dont worry :p

Hey man, your job is keeping the thread alive.

Then again, video games are my job. Maybe it's my responsibility, too.

This has become an oddly affecting lesson in life.

I had the same problem. Ordered few cheap ones and this worked.
This stick worked for me, so thanks! It was a relief to find out there was nothing wrong anywhere else in the process.

Of course, I later learn that I can't do my MS back up due to some batch error, so I'm guessing that my dashboard needs to be updated. (I tried to check the version of it earlier, but the two lines never showed up at the end so I wasn't able to confirm.)

So I exited out of the soft mod installer and let it turn off my Xbox. I thought I'd try one more time to check my dashboard version so I could rule out whether that was the issue or not... Of course, now the Xbox won't boot to the dashboard anymore and I get some, "Your Xbox requires service" error message. Welp. At least I can boot up Splinter Cell, I guess.

Here's hoping I'll still be able to update my dashboard version once I manage to hunt down a game that comes with an update on the disc. If not...

Top Bottom