• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

The Llama

I haven't played Skyrim before (well, I played like an hour or so, but that barely counts). Is it advised to heavily mod it on my first go? Or anything I should avoid? I'm pretty used to modding Bethesda games (<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Morrowind) but figured I should ask.

I have further dark dungeons and revamped exterior fog but I don't recall downloading them, should I turn these mods on?
iCHK22ETNRlea.png

NLA handles the fog, so don't use Revamped Exterior Fog. Dark Dungeons should be fine if you want them darker.

Mesoian

I haven't played Skyrim before (well, I played like an hour or so, but that barely counts). Is it advised to heavily mod it on my first go? Or anything I should avoid? I'm pretty used to modding Bethesda games (<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 Morrowind) but figured I should ask.

Yup. The top 20 mods on the nexus are pretty much must haves, and once you have those, you can start to widdle down specifics of how you want your game to look and run.

... No dice?

Anyways, what's the status on that expansion mod that allows you to travel to other parts of Tamriel?

Forever in progress.

Just like Skywind.

yeah i know of them but their specificity naturally excludes general discussion, like the lore one hasn't been posted in for months but a general one i think would stay active

i don't have the confidence to make threads, also since it seems so much like their should be one but there isn't i thought maybe there could be a reason like the mods don't want one cause they hate me and my feelings

also ot's are all fancy and i can't do all that fancy stuff i wouldn't know where to begin

Right, gimme some time and I'll throw something together.

Not sure it'd stay active, though, but I suppose it's worth a shot.

eyeless

Right, gimme some time and I'll throw something together.

Not sure it'd stay active, though, but I suppose it's worth a shot.
koool, yeah maybe i'm wrong but just thinking the lore thread had some decent interest for a bit and that's a narrow focus, as you say worth a shot

lazygecko

Why is Workshop not the default method for installing mods? I thought the whole point was to circumvent the need for mod managers or user installed mods?

This may be a really dumb question...

The Workshop is utterly awful mainly since it relies on the game's launcher to handle mods. I avoid the launcher like the plague because it has a tendency to screw up my mod load order and .ini configs for no reason. It will also auto-update mods without your consent and there is no way of opting out of that. Carelessly updating like that can potentially ruin your game.

I don't know about heavily, but looking back I wish I had installed some more mods on my first playthrough. There's just no reason to not install some of the best mods, they improve the game so much.

Here's a great reddit thread detailing the best Skyrim mods.

My personal list of the essential mods that everyone should have:
(Note: * = Requires DLC)
SKSE
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch*
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch*
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch*
SkyUI
A Quality World Map
Even Better Quest Objectives
Amazing Follower Tweaks
Interesting NPCs
Inconsequential NPCs
Immersive Patrols
Immersive Armors
Immersive Weapons
Run for Your Lives
When Vampires Attack (Dawnguard)*
Glowing Ore Veins 300
Auto Unequip Ammo
And you should get at least one mod that improves the (lame) vanilla magic system.
Mods that add new (better) spells:
Forgotten Magic Redone (best one I've tried so far)
Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim
Mods that re-balance the vanilla spells and perks:
Empowered Magic (this one seems like the best)
Balanced Magic

The best programs to aid your modding experience:
Mod Organizer
LOOT
WryeBash

There are more mods that I would highly recommend, but I only listed the ones that I think are absolutely must-haves.

Deadly

I keep crashing when entering the bannered mare. Any advice? It used to work before but from a certain point in my playthrough it seems to have fucked up and keeps CTD.

Mesoian

I keep crashing when entering the bannered mare. Any advice? It used to work before but from a certain point in my playthrough it seems to have fucked up and keeps CTD.

Are people's textures screwing up? I know the bannered mare became a big problem for me because of a few very large texture packs working in conjunction with breezehome.

Deadly

Are people's textures screwing up? I know the bannered mare became a big problem for me because of a few very large texture packs working in conjunction with breezehome.
It crashes during the load. I can't even go in. Upon research it might have to do with Jaysus Swords and UFO :( Upon uninstalling UFO though, I get a CTD starting the game....Going to have to follow through the actual long uninstall for that one I think.

If I drop Jaysus Swords in the middle of a playthrough will the items just disappear and I'll be good to go or am I fucked?

ScRYeD

It crashes during the load. I can't even go in. Upon research it might have to do with Jaysus Swords and UFO :( Upon uninstalling UFO though, I get a CTD starting the game....Going to have to follow through the actual long uninstall for that one I think.

If I drop Jaysus Swords in the middle of a playthrough will the items just disappear and I'll be good to go or am I fucked?

if you can, unequip and get rid of any items you get from Jaysus Swords before you disable JSwords.

Just a small question though. Are you using the Jaysus Swords from the Top Files. This one hasn't be updated in forever or are you using Sharlikrans Compatibility Patches which has been updated

Deadly

if you can, unequip and get rid of any items you get from Jaysus Swords before you disable JSwords.

Just a small question though. Are you using the Jaysus Swords from the Top Files. This one hasn't be updated in forever or are you using Sharlikrans Compatibility Patches which has been updated
Sharlikrans. Though I'm also using another one that's compatible with Dual Sheath Redux. Perhaps that's the thing that fucks up the follower? The latter is unauthorized on Nexus for some reason. The crash is strictly at the bannered mare though

IcyStorm

Are there any (preferably recently maintained for the sake of compatibility) mods that delevel the world besides Requiem? I'd use Requiem if I didn't have to use compatibility patches for so many things (it's not as bad as SkyRe because SkyRe also requires the reproccer but still).

ScRYeD

Sharlikrans. Though I'm also using another one that's compatible with Dual Sheath Redux. Perhaps that's the thing that fucks up the follower? The latter is unauthorized on Nexus for some reason. The crash is strictly at the bannered mare though

I don't see how Jaysus Swords or UFO actually make you crash at the Bannered Mare, do you have any mods that change the Bannered Mare or any of Whiteruns interior cells? You could also try making a Bashed Patch with Wrye Bash.

Yeah I saw this. It does seem really cool, especially now that I FINALLY got HDT working, but I'm afraid of the performance hit.

It is pretty cool, but not without problems. I'm using that mod along with equipping overhaul, your weapons go crazy when you enter a kill cam and you have to unequip/favorite those weapons to make them better again, when enemies die and drop to the floor you can get some glitches on their weapons. There is also the usual clipping that comes with these HDT mods all without any noticble performance hit.

I don't see how Jaysus Swords or UFO actually make you crash at the Bannered Mare, do you have any mods that change the Bannered Mare or any of Whiteruns interior cells? You could also try making a Bashed Patch with Wrye Bash.

It is pretty cool, but not without problems. I'm using that mod along with equipping overhaul, your weapons go crazy when you enter a kill cam and you have to unequip/favorite those weapons to make them better again, when enemies die and drop to the floor you can get some glitches on their weapons. There is also the usual clipping that comes with these HDT mods all without any noticble performance hit.
Next version should fix the spaz outs and have body collision (I think).

Deadly

Specifically? No. I'll try removing Skyrim HD and Enhanced Lights and FX see if that's why.

I had googled it and somebody had said something about Jaysus and a follower located inside the bannered mare causing fuckups.

Amazing stuff.
It's really mind-blowing how far modders have taken Skyrim.
Seriously, it's amazing. I really really hope they finish developing Skywind because I never got to play Morrowind, and getting to play it with Skyrim's graphics and engine would be so awesome.

Definitely. I fooled around a bit with a (now unavailable) preview build of Skywind. Getting my hands on the full release is liable to double my Skyrim time (already at 500+ hours).

Fruitster

Skyrim with mods on PC is something special. For a guy who has only played the 360 version until three days ago, the difference is night and day. Really wish I'd gotten my shit together years ago in terms of getting a good PC. No words can do justice just how much better the PC Skyrim experience is.

Man, I've gone down a rabbit hole this weekend of going through hundreds of mods, including a bunch I'd earmarked but never taken the time to look into. And through videos by Gopher and Beodual, found tons of others I didn't know existed.

Thank goodness for Mod Organizer though. I made sure to make a new profile before adding all these new mods.

I'd love suggestions though: what body mod would people recommend for women that best balances mod support including high res skins, and skewing towards realistic instead of supermodel? I have no interest in BBP or anything like that, so that doesn't matter to me, and I'll be sticking more to lore friendly armor.

ScRYeD

Man, I've gone down a rabbit hole this weekend of going through hundreds of mods, including a bunch I'd earmarked but never taken the time to look into. And through videos by Gopher and Beodual, found tons of others I didn't know existed.

Thank goodness for Mod Organizer though. I made sure to make a new profile before adding all these new mods.

I'd love suggestions though: what body mod would people recommend for women that best balances mod support including high res skins, and skewing towards realistic instead of supermodel? I have no interest in BBP or anything like that, so that doesn't matter to me, and I'll be sticking more to lore friendly armor.
If you don't want bbp or unp, you could try WSCO, its a character/NPC overhaul mod. There is CBBE, UNP and vanilla body options to choose from.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52322/?

I'd run CBBE simply because you can always use bodyslide to get the look you want.

Though UNP is fine if you want a standard but not totally out of place bod.

I've almost wrapped up my current playthrough and I'm almost done planning my next. I'm gonna take a break from Skyrim before I start my new character. The main thing I'm gonna wait for is T3nd0's (creator of SkyRe) new perk/combat overhaul mod Perkus Maximus to be released. I've done a lot of research on the various perk overhauls and I don't really like any of them. SkyRe changes too much, ACE changes too little, SPERG was the closest to what I wanted but it's reliance on the Uncapper mod annoyed me, plus it is apparently quite unbalanced. But Perkus Maximus sounds like it'll be just what I'm looking for, and it's made by a reputable mod developer so the quality will be high. Apparently the mod is in beta right now and is pretty close to being ready for release.

Thorgal

I've almost wrapped up my current playthrough and I'm almost done planning my next. I'm gonna take a break from Skyrim before I start my new character. The main thing I'm gonna wait for is T3nd0's (creator of SkyRe) new perk/combat overhaul mod Perkus Maximus to be released. I've done a lot of research on the various perk overhauls and I don't really like any of them. SkyRe changes too much, ACE changes too little, SPERG was the closest to what I wanted but it's reliance on the Uncapper mod annoyed me, plus it is apparently quite unbalanced. But Perkus Maximus sounds like it'll be just what I'm looking for, and it's made by a reputable mod developer so the quality will be high. Apparently the mod is in beta right now and is pretty close to being ready for release.

Not sure if you know but Skyre is completely Modular so you can install only one or 2 modules and leave the rest out .

Sai

Starting another run 'cause the last one was starting to get a lil' buggy here 'n there. It became exceedingly difficult to get anything done in some of the major holds&#8212;Whiterun and Riften in particular&#8212;with Open Cities Skyrim; it would start lagging or occasionally freeze or CTD when opening up a menu. For some reason, I couldn't even stay around the Falkreath cell for more than a minute without a CTD.

Kind of a shame, 'cause I was doing a good job of collecting equipment. :(

So, yeah. Gonna try to adhere to the STEP guide this time, use Mod Organizer instead of Nexus Mod Manager, and not install or uninstall anything mid-way. Would be nice if I could get the Belt-Fastened Quivers mod and a number of alternative sheathing methods/animations working this time around along with Equipping Overhaul. Not sure what I did wrong the last two attempts...

ScRYeD

Yeah, I guess these are incompatible. :(
It should be compatible with belt fastened quivers. Just use Xp32's skeleton replacer with belt quiver position selected in the fomod, the grab chesko's belt fastened quiver mod and only select the animations to install.

Sai

Thought I did that, still didn't work out... At least, not after the beginning; the Imperial archer that shoots down the horse thief from Rorikstead? The quiver placement and animation worked out just fine. Then after Alduin starts trashing Helgen, everything seems to go back to normal.

* Sai shrugs.

On a more positive note: Following the STEP guide to establish a good foundation for Skyrim really helped out. Even though I'm on pretty limited hardware, I was able to get the game looking pretty nice with a minimal performance hit... Actually, I'd say it ran even more consistently than it did before.

Starting another run 'cause the last one was starting to get a lil' buggy here 'n there. It became exceedingly difficult to get anything done in some of the major holds&#8212;Whiterun and Riften in particular&#8212;with Open Cities Skyrim; it would start lagging or occasionally freeze or CTD when opening up a menu. For some reason, I couldn't even stay around the Falkreath cell for more than a minute without a CTD.

Kind of a shame, 'cause I was doing a good job of collecting equipment. :(

So, yeah. Gonna try to adhere to the STEP guide this time, use Mod Organizer instead of Nexus Mod Manager, and not install or uninstall anything mid-way. Would be nice if I could get the Belt-Fastened Quivers mod and a number of alternative sheathing methods/animations working this time around along with Equipping Overhaul. Not sure what I did wrong the last two attempts...

Yeah similar thing happened to me, but not nearly as bad as yours &#8212; I get a CTD about once every hour or so. I also made the mistake of adding and removing mods during my playthrough. The one thing I did get right this time around was learning to use Mod Organizer and WryeBash. This video was really helpful for me. Next time I'm gonna learn how to use TES5Edit and follow the S.T.E.P. guidelines, so hopefully my third playthrough will be the charm, stability-wise.

Sai

Thanks for that.

I get that Wyre Bash merges mods, but doesn't MO already provide that functionality? Or does Wyre Bash pretty much streamline the whole process?

KyleCross

So I recently bought the Elder Scrolls Anthology collection however I'm having issue with Skyrim for one reason... Giant. Fucking. Spiders. There seems to be multiple mods to help with this, what are GAFs suggestions?

Top Bottom