• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Haswell E review from Anandtech: 5930K, 5960X, and 5820K

RCSI

For anyone in the U.S. buying one of these, especially the 5820K, you can pick one up for $300 at Microcenter (in store only).

It's a tempting offer if I had the money to spend, but I'm honestly fine with my 2500K @ 4GHz and I see it lasting for at least 2-3 more years.

Of course they do. It's all in the article I linked. Computerbase is one of the best hardware reviewing sites around.

The titles currently included in their main game benchmark set are AC3, BF3, Borderlands 2, CoDBLOPS2, Crysis 3, F1 2012, Metro LL and Skyrim. You can see individual results for those games in the article.

Thanks for providing these. I'm upgrading from a Core 2 Extreme Q6850 to the 5930K so I'm looking at much more than a 10% increase in performance. I presume they're simulating that in these benchmarks by disabling 2 of the cores in the 5960X and clocking appropriately.

And yes... I'm doing content creation on UE4 which starts to slow down a lot for me currently as I approach the end of the levels I'm working on.

My 7970 will hold me over until Nvidia's cards launch in October, and then I'm 3 way SLIing the 780 Ti equivalent to power my (hopefully soon to ship) ROG Swift.

Trust me, I've been saving for this build for a while.

Durante

Thanks for providing these. I'm upgrading from a Core 2 Extreme Q6850 to the 5930K so I'm looking at much more than a 10% increase in performance. I presume they're simulating that in these benchmarks by disabling 2 of the cores in the 5960X and clocking appropriately.
They are actually using an OC'ed 5920K, which makes more sense since it has the correct amount of cache (and since they only use a single GPU in these benchmarks it literally makes no difference).

They are actually using an OC'ed 5920K, which makes more sense since it has the correct amount of cache (and since they only use a single GPU in these benchmarks it literally makes no difference).

Gotcha. I should have figured that out given the resolution they were running things at.

Honestly while the Haswell-E has a solid performance improvement over my current X58/i7-950 machines, the same problem still exists. What I need for 4K gaming is a powerful GPU that doesn't even exist yet. The CPU would do fuck-all to get me to 4K.

The Llama

Honestly while the Haswell-E has a solid performance improvement over my current X58/i7-950 machines, the same problem still exists. What I need for 4K gaming is a powerful GPU that doesn't even exist yet. The CPU would do fuck-all to get me to 4K.

Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I think it'll be a while before we see GPU's capable of doing newish games at 4k. Its just SUCH a leap from 1080p, even from 1440p.

Renekton

i'm happy with the OC results I've seen so far for the 5820K. My personal threshold was easy 4.0 GHz on all cores with air cooling, and all reviews so far seem to indicate that that's no issue (and if you are even a tiny bit lucky it should do at least 4.2).
The bins for Haswell are unpredictable as heck though, cross your fingers.

It's crazy how we'd had this super-long generation of massively parallel CPUs (six threads on the 360, six SPUs on the PS3), yet when these games get moved onto the PC they rarely, if ever, use more than two. I'm not sure what goes on in the development process, but I'd love some insight into why most games haven't moved beyond two threads on the PC.
AFAIK many late last-gen games went into 3 cores or above.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Pray to the GPU gods that 20nm is what we hope and dream it will be.

Durante

Maybe I'm just a pessimist, but I think it'll be a while before we see GPU's capable of doing newish games at 4k. Its just SUCH a leap from 1080p, even from 1440p.
I wouldn't say "newish", I'd say "AAA". My single 770 can run Dark Souls 2, Risen 3 and Divinity: Original Sin at 4k at highly playable framerates (60 FPS for the former and >30 for the latter two).

AJLma

4K gaming isn't as far out of reach as it seems.

We're seeing Metro Redux running maxed at playable framerates (30-40) @ 4K on a single 780 Ti.

The Llama

I wouldn't say "newish", I'd say "AAA". My single 770 can run Dark Souls 2, Risen 3 and Divinity: Original Sin at 4k at highly playable framerates (60 FPS for the former and >30 for the latter two).

Fair point, agreed.

4K gaming isn't as far out of reach as it seems.

We're seeing Metro Redux running maxed at playable framerates (30-40) @ 4K on a single 780 Ti.

That you need a $600 GPU to run a game that was re-released and heavily optimized at 4k at 30-40k FPS is the problem.

KKRT00

Digital Foundry review of 5960X
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-intel-core-i7-5960x-review

They've done one awesome test, because they didnt have a SLI or Crossfire setup, they launched simultaneously Crysis 3 [on GTX 780 Ti] and Battlefield 4 [on 290X] on one 5960X.
This CPU is such a beast :)

iR8ayBzKUkNsW.jpg

So 4K may be viable for the 800 series if you don't mind playing at 30fps?

Randam

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
yeah, that is nice, but totally useless.

just like this CPUs for normal gamers.
especially when you alreaday have something like a 4770k.

Looking at the CPUs that the consoles have, and the fact that in gaming performance there isnt substantial difference in 4770k and these new processors, I think my 4770k is going to last just fine till the end of this generation.

yeah, that is nice, but totally useless.

just like this CPUs for normal gamers.
especially when you alreaday have something like a 4770k.

It all depends on what you do I suppose. As someone developing a VR game on my system in UE4, experimenting with Dolphin, and someone who wants to triple SLI the top of the line single GPU 800 (or 900 if they skip the 800 numbering) I'm going to need the processor overhead to push games up towards 144 Hz at 1440p.

144 HZ, game development, and VR are all pretty demanding.

astonish

Liking what I see. The lack of PCI lanes on the 'lowest'-end chip doesn't seem to hurt GFX too much, so I'll likely be getting one of those with 32GB RAM, 480GB PCI-e NVMe storage and an 880GTX as my new development workstation when it all arrives. My current i920 + 6GB + 480GTX + 7200RPM can barely hold on when using UE4 + VS2013

Thoraxes

Going from my Phenom II X4 970 to a 5820k is going to be eye opening for me lol.

Last time I built a PC I didn't have a good job or a lot of money all those years ago because of college but now the sky's the limit on my build budget!

Can't wait to do my new build during the holidays!

Nachtmaer

That does sound really neat. And I would like one as an upgrade.

But I think I'll still wait until Broadwell.

Last time I checked, Intel was still iffy about Broadwell for desktop. They're obviously going to focus mostly on the mobile versions, so who knows when and what will happen to desktop.

I'll probably wait until Crystalwell before I consider upgrading my 2500k.

The lack of PCI lanes on the 'lowest'-end chip doesn't seem to hurt GFX too much

The gimped PCIe lanes will most likely be a bigger problem when running multi-GPU setups, especially now AMD decided to do CrossFire over PCIe instead of using the bridge.

aeolist

Banned
Last time I checked, Intel was still iffy about Broadwell for desktop. They're obviously going to focus mostly on the mobile versions, so who knows when and what will happen to desktop.

The gimped PCIe lanes will most likely be a bigger problem when running multi-GPU setups, especially now AMD decided to do CrossFire over PCIe instead of using the bridge.

there was a rumor a few years back that broadwell for desktop would only come in BGA versions (ie soldered to the board) for small form factors, at the time i heard from a pretty reliable source that there would be a new LGA (socketed) haswell stepping that implemented a lot of broadwell's new features on 20nm.

as of late most sites are reporting that broadwell will launch an LGA version on socket 1150 and that the z90 series chipsets would support it. i don't doubt that intel was probably considering BGA-only for broadwell some time ago but it looks like they've gone back on that. i'd expect to see LGA versions in q2-q3 2015.

-SD-

Banned
I got my Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo in 2006, which is a 2-core CPU. It's incredible that it has taken Intel a full 8 years for the consumer CPU core count to reach even 8. You'd think by this time an 8-core CPU would be available for cheap and be the lowest common denominator.

novagamer

Are any of these sites comparing an OC'd Nehalem against current options? For games at least I haven't seen this and I'd really like to.

prophecy0

Are any of these sites comparing an OC'd Nehalem against current options? For games at least I haven't seen this and I'd really like to.

I'd like to see this as well. I'm still rocking an i7 920 and I'm currently leaning toward a 4790k instead of Haswell E.

Dezzy

I wish there was a good comparison between i5 2500 and the i7 5820. I haven't seen a review that talks about the original SandyBridge compared to Haswell-E yet.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I wish there was a good comparison between i5 2500 and the i7 5820. I haven't seen a review that talks about the original SandyBridge compared to Haswell-E yet.

I would like to see one as well. I still don't feel like my 2500k needs to be upgraded, but I haven't used anything better.

KKRT00

My i7-3930K should be good for another 4-8 years...

Longest CPU lifespan ever

Tell to the guys with i7 Nehalem :p
CPUs from 2008 that will probably still viable in next-gen, at least on the beginning. Its crazy to think that CPU will be probably competitive for 12 years.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Going from my Phenom II X4 970 to a 5820k is going to be eye opening for me lol.

Last time I built a PC I didn't have a good job or a lot of money all those years ago because of college but now the sky's the limit on my build budget!

Can't wait to do my new build during the holidays!

Phenom II bros! *high five*

Yeah I built mine in 2010, need a new set of wheels as it were.

tensuke

Well I wouldn't mind jumping from a Q9550 and DDR2 RAM to one of these.
I just need to stop spending all my money on video games. :3

Sadly enough. Jaguar actually posts higher ipc than their big steamroller cores. The latter is just able to clock much higher.
Sorry I forgot about this thread and didn't see your reply
:( I wish amd wasn't so shit now sigh
It's not even their fault, they got fucked by intel years ago when they had their chance to make money for more r&d with a good architecture, that makes me even more sad.

Maybe in five years :p
Surely when pascal is out (2016) you can get 780ti performance for 250 euros... if not then it would be really ridiculous (it's already pretty ridiculous today)

Digital Foundry review of 5960X
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-intel-core-i7-5960x-review

They've done one awesome test, because they didnt have a SLI or Crossfire setup, they launched simultaneously Crysis 3 [on GTX 780 Ti] and Battlefield 4 [on 290X] on one 5960X.
This CPU is such a beast :)

http://i.minus.com/iR8ayBzKUkNsW.jpg
Heh that's pretty funny, 2 demanding games at once in windowed mode

Phenom II bros! *high five*

Yeah I built mine in 2010, need a new set of wheels as it were.
I'm a phenom II bro too
I loved this little cpu that could. It was soo cheap too, 130 euros in 2009 for a 3 core phenom II with the full cache from the 955 Quad core, and a decent overclocker too
Best performance/dollar I ever got.
It no longer can though in a few too many games :(

That's disappointing..

Well, they have to make something new for the desktop, right? I can't imagine anything other than Broadwell...

Arulan

Tell to the guys with i7 Nehalem :p
CPUs from 2008 that will probably still viable in next-gen, at least on the beginning. Its crazy to think that CPU will be probably competitive for 12 years.

Still rocking a i7-920@3.8Ghz. At this point I may just wait until Skylake and build another PC.

I just priced out a build and it came out to $2300, and that's with a mid tier AMD 280x 6gb. Should have all the parts in next week.

Asus x99 deluxe mobo
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4x4gb)
Corsair 1000w psu
Intel corei7 5920k 6 core
AMD radeon 280x 6gb
Corsair 256gb ssd
LG blu ray drive
Cosair 280mm liquid cooler + radiator
Corsair 540 d case
Windows 7 home premium.

Durante

I just priced out a build and it came out to $2300, and that's with a mid tier AMD 280x 6gb. Should have all the parts in next week.

Asus x99 deluxe mobo
Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4x4gb)
Corsair 1000w psu
Intel corei7 5920k 6 core
AMD radeon 280x 6gb
Corsair 256gb ssd
LG blu ray drive
Cosair 280mm liquid cooler + radiator
Corsair 540 d case
Windows 7 home premium.
Are you trying to save money or do you really not care? Because if the former, I'd ask you
- which feature of the X99 deluxe will ou use that a board half the cost of it doesn't provide?
- why do you need Corsair Vengeance ram instead of the cheapest DDR4 you can get? (It will still have much higher BW on the quad-channel X99 platform than anything on the non-enthusiast platforms)
- why are you getting a 1kW PSU for a system which will never consume more than 500W?

If you don't care, I'd ask you why you're only getting 16 GB of memory. That's old and busted, I'm going 32 in my build :p

Are you trying to save money or do you really not care? Because if the former, I'd ask you
- which feature of the X99 deluxe will ou use that a board half the cost of it doesn't provide?
- why do you need Corsair Vengeance ram instead of the cheapest DDR4 you can get? (It will still have much higher BW on the quad-channel X99 platform than anything on the non-enthusiast platforms)
- why are you getting a 1kW PSU for a system which will never consume more than 500W?

This is my first major build in 2 years so I'm going all out with the components, especially the ssd and PSU. Doing so will ensure I won't need to buy a new one should I decide to get multiple GPUs and HDD

-I am a long time Asus fan and have used their boards for as long as I can remember. Their board components are of high quality imo and to me you get what you pay for.

-Corsair ram was on sale 40 dollars more than gskill. Why not?

-multiple GPU upgrade in the future. Also future proofing.

Edit: and yes, I've set money aside for a DDR4 build so penny pinching is not my intention. I've been tempted to upgrade my current build but held out.

Edit 2: 16gb should be good for now. If 32 GB is needed then that will be a 2015 refresh/upgrade once I get my tax return.

Benchmarks are hard
the point of gaming benchmarks is to see how much faster the cpu actually is in games, which you can only measure if you don't have a gpu bottleneck.
It doesn't matter if you aren't going to play that specific game at 800*600 ,the point is to see how much better it does in games so when future games come out using the same engine or you upgrade your gpu later on you know if the cpu is more capable than what you have or not.

If you test it at gpu limited settings it's a gpu benchmark not a cpu benchmark.
You turn off /down all gpu reliant settings so you can test the cpu reliant ones and see how the cpu performs.

Potential buyer has 2 titans and a 144hz monitor
He doesn't give a shit about a benchmark showing him that those 1 or 2 770s run tomb raider at 50-90fps at 1080p with 4x msaa and tressfx on high, he needs to know if he can get 144 fps with this cpu when he can't with his current cpu.
This worthless anandtech benchmark tells him nothing (it only tells him how well a 770 performs in tomb raider), other than that anandtech are a glorified product overview site rather than a respectable review site.

Might as well look on newegg or amazon product overview page for a 'review'

That kind of benchmarking for gaming died a decade ago, now it's all actual real world performance.

Nobody games at 800x600.

The Llama

This is my first major build in 2 years so I'm going all out with the components, especially the ssd and PSU. Doing so will ensure I won't need to buy a new one should I decide to get multiple GPUs and HDD

-I am a long time Asus fan and have used their boards for as long as I can remember. Their board components are of high quality imo and to me you get what you pay for.

-Corsair ram was on sale 40 dollars more than gskill. Why not?

-multiple GPU upgrade in the future. Also future proofing.

Edit: and yes, I've set money aside for a DDR4 build so penny pinching is not my intention. I've been tempted to upgrade my current build but held out.

Edit 2: 16gb should be good for now. If 32 GB is needed then that will be a 2015 refresh/upgrade once I get my tax return.
Eh, spending $2300 and getting a 280x just seems like poorly spent money.

Eh, spending $2300 and getting a 280x just seems like poorly spent money.

I figured a 280x 6gb should be sufficient for now. I was more so concerned with getting the essential components, stuff that will last and can be reused. I tend to get an itchy internet shopping trigger finger anyway and will invest in a better GPU later, assuming I even need to.

tarheel91

I figured a 280x 6gb should be sufficient for now. I was more so concerned with getting the essential components, stuff that will last and can be reused. I tend to get an itchy internet shopping trigger finger anyway and will invest in a better GPU later, assuming I even need to.

What's the price on a 6GB 280x? The upside over a 3GB is minimal if any, and an R9 290 would be a much better investment.

Top Bottom