• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akame ga Kill! |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's a bit boring how all enemies so far have been batshit insane and obviously evil, while everyone in Night Raid are anti-hero vigilantes with a dubious morality at best, but at least they're all kind of mad which results in entertaining fights (and stuff such as episode 6... man).

I won't say much, but this changes. There are always the ~obviously evil~ characters, but conflicts stop being so dualistic once a certain faction is introduced in a proper way.

Also, it's totally fine to say Seryu is insane, but you need to remember that the Night Raid members are the ones who admit to murdering people to achieve their goals. From the perspective of someone like Tatsumi in the first episode, who didn't know the Empire's true worth, Night Raid members are the ones who are evil.

Things may seem pretty straightforward right now, but this evil x good discussion is probably the most important point of the entire series.

Pbae

Dammit, why did you have to take Aniki from us! He was my favorite...but damn, Tatsumi x Incursio is going to be badass. I totally thought his OG sword or that idol he got was secretly an imperial arm.

Brazil

This episode wasn't as good as I was hoping. Eh.

Still love the developments, though.
Shit finally starts for real next week.

Crocodile

Episode 6 was kind of shocking
not the death but rather how cray cray "Justice Girl"
was but Episode 8 was the first one I'd say was legit great. I'm curious to see if this holds up or if it falls back into mediocrity.

JulianImp

Episode 8
I guess I wasn't taking the whole "if imperial arms clash, only one of them will survive" thing seriously...
God damn it Bulat, why did you have to pull off a Kamina? Now the only male in Night Raid besides Tatsumi is spider-boy, who hasn't done anything worthwhile yet. I was expecting the well-spoken general to last a bit longer than that, though.

It's a bit weird how battles often end up being one-sided, though (
poor boomerang axe guy only got to show his arms once before being split in two
). It definitely feels like JoJo at times in that understanding the enemy arm's abilities plays a part in determining the outcome of a battle, and also in how nearly everybody has some secret technique as an ace-in-the-hole, but I fear that kind of writing lends itself too well to doing ass-pulls and winning battles that should've been lost. By keeping most of the cast's special abilities concealed, I fear the show might end up pulling many deus ex machinas and hanging a lampshade on them by calling them hidden abilities.

So far I like Mine's imperial arms the most out of the bunch because its simple ruleset (basically acting as a rubberbanding weapon) is the one with the most obvious strengths and limitations, and a simpler set of rules makes it easier to wrap your head around possible ways the arms could be used, or otherwise manipulated in either Night Raid or their opponents' favor. Even if her weapon basically screams "I'll be winning battles we should've lost", I guess the straightforwardness of it is more reassuring to me than some weapon randomly winning due to an unknown trump card.

Arken2121

Aniki : (

At least Tatsumi got his teigu.

big_boss__s_salute___mgs3_by_rainedrebellion-d57boh0.png

Damn, this series is crazy.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I don't know what it is about this particular series, but every time someone dies I'm always so incredibly shocked by it.
laugh_.gif

MilkBeard

I've been digging this show. It's hard waiting for each new episode. Looks like another one came out today, probably won't be able to watch it until tonight.

Kieli

I wish they would space these out a bit more, or we'd be left with no cast before the end of the 1st season.

Also, saraba, Bulat. :'(

Pics_nao

Cousin got me into the series. Loved it so much that I caught up with the manga in a few hours. Can't wait to see it animated and where it ends

Kieli

Horrendous fight choreography aside (seriously, it's essentially sword slap-fights), it's a pretty decent adaptation all around.

Kieli

This show has a great premise but it is just so bad.

This anime is garish for sure. No questions about that.

However, I don't think it takes itself all that seriously. I mean, it doesn't dwell on the drama for too long (a character dies, characters lament and move on; no Shinji/Simon moping). The villains are so ridiculously over-the-top that one has to believe that it's parody (I hope).

It's not offensive like certain anime that are stupid, but expect the audience to take their drama with a straight-face. I have a specific show in mind, but I'll leave it unnamed.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I got to be honest I did not expect this week's ending. Hopefully it's not a sign the series jumped the shark.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
It was a pretty obvious ending
though my friend predicted it first
the moment she said "I want to fall in love."

Yeah no I wasn't surprised by that,
the requirements pointed right at tatsumi (especially the one about the smile). The collar and kidnapping him was what surprised me. I thought she would make an offer to join her team or something. I'm not even saying its out of character for ersdeath considering her whole dominatrix theme. It's just the quickness of it all was so out there I'm worried it's jumping the shark.

the requirements pointed right at tatsumi (especially the one about the smile). The collar and kidnapping him was what surprised me. I thought she would make an offer to join her team or something. I'm not even saying its out of character for ersdeath considering her whole dominatrix theme. It's just the quickness of it all was so out there I'm worried it's jumping the shark.

Oh, I see lol.

Brazil

It's not jumping the shark. Its highest points are still a little bit off in the distance.

Just sit tight, haha.

I won't say much, but this changes. There are always the ~obviously evil~ characters, but conflicts stop being so dualistic once a certain faction is introduced in a proper way.

Also, it's totally fine to say Seryu is insane, but you need to remember that the Night Raid members are the ones who admit to murdering people to achieve their goals. From the perspective of someone like Tatsumi in the first episode, who didn't know the Empire's true worth, Night Raid members are the ones who are evil.

Things may seem pretty straightforward right now, but this evil x good discussion is probably the most important point of the entire series.
You can already tell the lines will blurred in the future.

DrkSage

Stumbled upon this anime while looking for something to watch. Already caught up with the most recent episode and so far its been amazing.

Also is it kind of weird that Najenda aka "Boss" reminds me of Big boss from MGS... You know cause of the whole eye patch and arm thing... Or that it would be kinda funny seeing Bulat vs Dandy to see who has the best hair?

psst... Btw Op you kinda put Lubbocks pic instead of leones

JulianImp

Stumbled upon this anime while looking for something to watch. Already caught up with the most recent episode and so far its been amazing.

Also is it kind of weird that Najenda aka "Boss" reminds me of Big boss from MGS... You know cause of the whole eye patch and arm thing... Or that it would be kinda funny seeing Bulat vs Dandy to see who has the best hair?

psst... Btw Op you kinda put Lubbocks pic instead of leones

I always saw her as a mix of Big Boss and Black Lagoon's Balalaika.

Show's been good so far, and judging by how Exdeath's team was introduced it does seem like the show won't keep the obvious in-your-face black and white morality. Even if her Jaeger squad is full of psychos, Night Raid isn't that different from them, except for how they actively oppose the government rather than bargaining with it to amass power like Exdeath.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Esdeath is goddamn hilarious.
This whole thing is incredibly hilarious.
I feared the series was a one-trick shock pony at ep 1, and it's kind of that, but at least it doesn't take itself seriously enough to ruin the tone.

Just got done watching episode 6 and thought it was pretty stupid how
Sheele died.
I mean, why would
she waste time going to cut off the arm of that thing crushing Mine when killing the user, who was defenseless right in front of her, would have eliminated the threat?
So dumb, and Mine sucks.

Moaradin

Just got done watching episode 6 and thought it was pretty stupid how
Sheele died.
I mean, why would
she waste time going to cut off the arm of that thing crushing Mine when killing the user, who was defenseless right in front of her, would have eliminated the threat?
So dumb, and Mine sucks.

I don't remember the specifics, but I'm pretty sure it was said that imperial arm would have persisted even after the users death.

I don't remember the specifics, but I'm pretty sure it was said that imperial arm would have persisted even after the users death.

Ah, I was under the impression that killing the user eliminated the imperial arm but I guess they would still have to destroy the core. Still, I really hate Mine. I have a feeling she's going to end up ruining a lot of things in this series for me.

Ezalc

I'm still hoping the loli dies. Goddamn it they had to sacrifice two good characters but that one still lives.

UberTag

I'm still hoping the loli dies. Goddamn it they had to sacrifice two good characters but that one still lives.
Isn't it a safe bet to assume that all of these guys are going to die at some point apart from Tatsumi and Akame? That is how these shows work, after all.

(I haven't read the manga - just applying common sense.)

Mine is the second best girl after Esdeath.

I hope we get new Night Raid members soon. The Jaegar team looks very formidable. Where have I seen Bols before though? Was there someone like him earlier in the series?

Mine is awesome. The two shittiest characters are the ones who died!

No, Mine is literally the worst. She's a generic tsundere archetype who serves no purpose but to piss the viewer off. I would argue that she is by far the worst fighter in the group, relying solely on the power of her imperial arm to be effective, and even then it's only at long range. Everyone in this show has a tragic backstory to ham up the melodrama but Mine's is easily the dumbest. 'I was bullied as a kid and subject to discrimination in a corrupt environment so now I want to kill people!' Are you kidding me? At least Sheele and Bulat had semi-believable reasons for joining Night Raid.

JulianImp

No, Mine is literally the worst. She's a generic tsundere archetype who serves no purpose but to piss the viewer off. I would argue that she is by far the worst fighter in the group, relying solely on the power of her imperial arm to be effective, and even then it's only at long range. Everyone in this show has a tragic backstory to ham up the melodrama but Mine's is easily the dumbest. 'I was bullied as a kid and subject to discrimination in a corrupt environment so now I want to kill people!' Are you kidding me? At least Sheele and Bulat had semi-believable reasons for joining Night Raid.

I'd say I agree. The one thing I like about Mine is how her imperial arm is the one that has a very clear, defined ruleset, which limits her ass-pull factor compared to "Witness my secret technique!". I'd say Bulat's character was the most developed one IMO, and Sheele was okay, but Mine was downright bad and Night Raid's boss was a bit odd... she went all the way to make an example out of some tribe alongside Exdeath, and it looks like she didn't do anything except saying "screw this, I'm going rogue". How could she even survive deserting in the middle of a mission Exdeath was leading, when it looked like she was the party's second in command?

Still, I like how the show doesn't take itself too seriously. Seeing Exdeath get all worked up about love and the latest developments both point towards the series not getting full-on gritty and serious in tone.

Can't wait to see the quirky chemistry of the Jaegers, and what Tatsumi's role ends up being.
I expect him to go berserk when they offer him Sheele's scissors, or at least raise the tension in the group quite a bit.

Brazil

Night Raid's boss was a bit odd... she went all the way to make an example out of some tribe alongside Exdeath, and it looks like she didn't do anything except saying "screw this, I'm going rogue". How could she even survive deserting in the middle of a mission Exdeath was leading, when it looked like she was the party's second in command?

That was explained at some point in the manga. Maybe they cut it from her explanation in the last episode, but I can't remember when exactly it happened. But it doesn't matter much.

Sketchbag

Banned
I have a feeling there won't be any conclusion to this series after this season.

Plus, hand wire guy is obviously the best. Out of everyone's abilities, his seem the coolest. And that Eye.

I think Sheele is the worst. I hate airhead tropes.

I think Sheele is the worst. I hate airhead tropes.

Sheele isn't an airhead like, say, Mako from Kill La Kill. She's clumsy but actually extremely sharp as demonstrated by her ability in battle. Sheele seemed like the soft-spoken motherly figure of the group; she would lay flowers at the graves of Tatsumi's friends, even though she never met them, and comforted him while he tried to get over the fact that there was no way to bring them back to life. Obviously there wasn't much room for character development because the author decided to kill her off quickly, but she was more than your typical dumb anime airhead trope.

I still stand by the statement that Mine is the absolute worst. I can't deal with tsundere characters for the most part, especially when they are a liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom