• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DKC1 screwed over on "IGN Plays"

You should see how badly Giantbomb plays games in their Quick Looks.

I always cringe when they do quick looks of nintendo games. Non knowing much of the franchises is ok, complaining all the time because a game is not up your alley is not...the latest quick look of Smash was hard to watch.

I don't see anything wrong. So they played dkc and they don't know everything about the game. Most people don't.

Most people aren't an online gaming news site. If you're going to make a list of 125 Nintendo games, then you should know the game. Unless you're just throwing names in a hat and picking the list that way.

See OP the problem here is you assumed IGN had journalists. Folks who would research something before writing/talking about it. Which is not the case. Same issue with Giant Bomb, can't watch their quick looks. Half of them talk with such authority on shit and they don't know their ass from their elbow.

Just be glad DSPGaming did not play it. IGN is just dude bros. that also review games. They never blame the game when they are terrible at it. DSPGaming would be insulting the game more than just sucking at it.

Edit: The Eriq Martin story proves me point. Only a frat dude bro. would act like that.

Haunted

Your first mistake was watching a video on IGN.

Your second was making a GAF thread about it.

Welcome to GAF, bitch.

edit: I'm seeing words like "research" and "journalism" thrown around in this thread. You guys are aware that IGN didn't get its shitty reputation on GAF for nothing, right?

Man. It is a weird feeling knowing that there are people younger than me working in video game journalism and have probably played less games.

Evilisk

That's me not explaining myself clearly. What I meant to say is that after the guy accepts he has never played a DKC before he asks "what's the difference between this and a Mario game?" And the other guy responds "you're donkey as number 1" and at some point the first guy just says he wasn't a Mario fan either and later states how during the time Nintendo was releasing this platformers he was too busy playing Myst and Diablo to care.

Tell me those aren't just the perfect duo to tackle such an homage to honor DKC?

Yeah okay that's just terrible

The least they could have done was pick somebody with a passing interest in Nintendo or platformers

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Watched the video, couple of mumbly nerds awkwardly talking about a game they don't know much about. Pretty much what I imagine most Let's Plays to be like. Video game media is so embarrassing sometimes.

Ommadawnyawn

Neo Member
It's obvious right away that they're just trying it casually after many years and they didn't even trash it, really don't get why you're upset about this.

I was expecting something like this (Previously Recorded - Sonic, The Most Overrated Game Ever?):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDsz1NFBJw

Edit:
And it's not even an 8 minute long video. So many things they could've commented on like the music, the outstanding graphics for the time, it's popularity, Miyamoto's infamous comment on it, so much but ign apparently chose the most ignorant DKC1 players they could find to do this job.

It was not a review. It was supposed to honor it and they dropped the ball big time. Just listen to them. DKC1 deserved more than that even if you think it was overrated.

They actually DID comment on both the graphics and music, did you even watch the whole thing? And you even made a big list about what they 'did wrong'.

Can't believe I'm defending IGN but yeah.

Yeah this is why mainstream game criticism is a joke. Like a few others have said, can you even imagine movie reviewers being this clueless about an older film? Just two bros chatting over a video game is fine if you're doing a random LP on YouTube, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect more from arguably the biggest video game website in the world.

''Game journalism'' lol
Get a real job, mediocrities.

PS. Yeah the first DKC is a bit overrated, btw. But it ended the 16-bit war that had started with Sonic.

6) they thought a good idea for honoring DKC1 and Nintendo

A complete disservice and a lack of respect to such an incredible classic.

I agree with everything you wrote except for thse two things. No one needs to honor nintendo, if the one guy does not like nintendo games or DKC (for exxample, I do not like DKC). There is nothing wrong with that. BUt all the factually inaccurate stuff and whatever is out of place in a piece apparently "celebrating" the games release.

It is totally fine btw to look back at an old game and go "meh." I do that all the time when I load up old games I liked and realize... "meh"

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Imo too many kids grown with a Playstation. Those are the worst. They think they're smart and oldschool players, but their tastes in games are horrible.

There's some merit to this argument, I think. One of my buddies was a diehard PlayStation fanboy and wouldn't admit that any of his beloved games were in any way influenced by any previous classics on non Sony consoles.

I grew up with an N64 as my first console rather than a PS. It certainly shaped my tastes but I have a feeling I'd like a wider variety of genres if I owned a PS as there was a far wider library.

Hum.

Camwi

Strange, did they disable further commenting on the video? I'm already logged into Disqus, but it won't let me reply.

Also, I find it funny that they chose the one comment not complaining about the video to be their Featured comment.

EDIT - Nevermind, figured it out.

Well obviously Returns has a lot of DKC in it but I'd take DKC1 or 2 any day of the week over Returns.
DKC2 maybe on an artistic level, but DKC1 was pretty bland compared to Returns

They have better music
I agree on DKC2 having the best music

better level design
Actually while I deem DKC2 superior on the art and music, both the SNES games have the flaw of a not always great level design and an umpolished platforming, as the heavy graphics make the borders of the platforms and hitboxes hard to define, and this is a serious problem for platform games.
Returns's levels are all pretty great and some have really cool mechanics.

and aren't cheap as all hell like Returns was.
S5HiVQk.png

I haven't played Tropical Freeze but out of all the others, including DK64, I'd say DKC2 is by far the best Donkey Kong game ever made and one of the best platformers ever made.
On that regard I'd say that TF like Returns tops the SNES games in gameplay, but goes further catching up in music quality with David Wise being back on board, and even the ambience is much better with much more diverse enviroments.

Right up there with Super Mario 3 and Yoshi's Island.
Oh you put SMB3 above SMW, that explains a lot :p

The End

As someone who was 14 when DKC came out, and played the first two extensively...

They're kind of crappy, and really don't hold a candle to Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island. Also, pre-rendered sprites look godawful now.

Riposte

did you watch the video?

If you're going to record playing something as some kind of historical tribute, do two minutes of research. Look at a controls screen, something.

The entire video can literally be summed up as "I don't know, whatever."

Stuff like one guy asking the other guy what makes DKC different from a Mario game, and the other answering with "the difference is, it's not Mario."

I don't even have fond memories of this game (I've never played more than a few levels of it), but the video is basically worthless.

Sounds like Giant Bomb and people love that.

How can they be so ignorant about a Snes game? There's no way you never had the chance to play DKC.
I was 5 when the game came out, but industry was so slow back then. DKC copyes were everywere in stores!
Fun fact: where I live you could find DKC1 and 3 everywere, but damn finding DKC2 was hard as hell.

Also, every kid was into emulators at some point.
Imo too many kids grown with a Playstation. Those are the worst. They think they're smart and oldschool players, but their tastes in games are horrible.

I've been gaming since the Atari 2600, and I think DKC 1-3 sucked. Can't blame my tastes on not actually being "oldschool," so I guess it's just a matter of some of us have differing opinions.

bobawesome

Almost fooled me. First time I saw it. I figured it might be a joke though since it was in reply to that old shot-themselves-in-the-foot one.

Yeah, sorry about that. It wasn't my intention to actually mislead people. That's why I quoted the other copypasta.

I'm no IGN fan but do you really think the point of a lets play is to give a game "honor" and "respect?" Lol
Dude, thy're paid to have a serious and professional take on videogames. If they're not seiruos about what they're playing, it means that the game is worth nothing.
You may dislike the game, but you can't have that unprofessional attitude on a game that big. It's asinine.
There's some merit to this argument, I think. One of my buddies was a diehard PlayStation fanboy and wouldn't admit that any of his beloved games were in any way influenced by any previous classics on non Sony consoles.

I grew up with an N64 as my first console rather than a PS. It certainly shaped my tastes but I have a feeling I'd like a wider variety of genres if I owned a PS as there was a far wider library.

Hum.
I choose a Ps1 over an N64 because of fightans, but I felt like a pile of CDs wasn't worth a single cartridge. It's a matter of how hungry you were. Back in my youth I played everything and everywere. I was always chasing arcades, consoles, games, old or new, from Commodore 64 to Sega Saturn.

Also, if you want to have fun, tell your friend how Crash Bandicoot is just a DKC made in 2.5D. Ps games had very old and boring concepts bheind.
I've been gaming since the Atari 2600, and I think DKC 1-3 sucked. Can't blame my tastes on not actually being "oldschool," so I guess it's just a matter of some of us have differing opinions.
Don't jump to conclusion. I think they suck too. The difference it's that Me and you can articulate our opinion, but those Ps1 kids can't.

Chariot

Watched the video, couple of mumbly nerds awkwardly talking about a game they don't know much about. Pretty much what I imagine most Let's Plays to be like. Video game media is so embarrassing sometimes.
Well, I don't like Let's Players either, but some have some reedeming features in their LP's, like giving background information about the game, it's development, etc or having interesting insight on the technical side or have another way of being entertaining, like PewDiePie faking to be immensely scared. One don't have to like it, but there is entertainment and sometimes information value.
But this, this is just plain bad. They shouldn't forced themselves to do 125 videos, the quality of each is predictable low.

Top Bottom