• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Jaros leaves Volition, joins Valve Software

Pimpbaa

Their last really great single player game was the original Half Life. That was released around 17 years ago. Half Life 2 and the episodes were interesting but their quality is way over exaggerated. Portal 1 and 2 were good but out side of spawning 2 internet memes (cake and lemons) they weren't that memorable.

I can let the HL2 comment slide, but saying Portal 1 and 2 weren't memorable is factually wrong.

Omega

Banned
You realize the entirety of Valve doesn't sit on the hat certification line, right?

That's the joke.

Name some years over the past two console generations they didn't release a game and I'll tell you what they did instead.

i honestly couldn't even tell you what they've released since CS GO. I guess you could say DOTA but that was in beta for like the previous 3 years. all they did was make it public.

they have fantastic post game support which is what really matters, but i don't think you leave a studio like Volition just so you can make balance changes to Dota or CS

TF, CS, L4D, Dota. How many online games do they need? At some point they are competing against themselves.

Those games don't compete with each other.

Dota is a MOBA

TF is more of a casual class based FPS.
CS is your tactical FPS and geared more towards competitive players
L4D. I'm honestly not sure what's more popular, but it offers a co-op mode and a versus mode but separates itself from the other two FPS by having infected vs humans.

other than being in the first person perspective with guns, they have no similarities

Valve was prepared for the dangerous changes in the game industry years before it hit.
Others learn of this now and it's too late.
Still others learn of it in time and get on board.

Cant wait to not hear a thing about what he is doing at Valve and the announcement of his departure in about 3 years.

Thus is the cycle of the Valve Employees

Wiktor

I'm always sad when I see news like this. I mean..good the the people who join Valve, but I know I won't be getting anything from them ever again.

Adry9

I'm starting to think that Valve is a closed group where they make games just for themselves whilst living of TF hats.

Top Bottom