• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, Microsoft! Re-release The Movies already!

jakomocha

Just so you guys know, there is a digital version of the game which includes the expansion pack called "The Movies: Superstar Edition" available on the Mac App Store for just $5. No PC release as far as I know though.

Same here. To those who've played it, just how much freedom was the player given on what kind of movies they could make?
Mixed amount. You could create your own voice overs and plot lines (iirc you could even lip-synch the characters to your voice), but you don't get to create your own animations. Luckily, there are a ton of different pre-made scenes with a huge variety of options available within them (like camera angle, emotion, etc.) , and you can also place objects in scenes. When I got the game, I mostly played in sandbox mode and cheated for a lot of money and made my own (ridiculously stupid and horrible) movies.

It was a terrible game and a good example how you shouldn't trust moulyneux.
Please be a joke. This is one of my favorite games :(.

It was a terrible game and a good example how you shouldn't trust moulyneux.

He definitely overhyped it. I don't have an exact quote and I'm on my phone, but he hyped it as having a large degree of freedom that wasn't in the final product.

I'm surprised to see it so fondly remembered on GAF. There was a prevailing sense of disappointment in reviews at the time. This game is probably a case of inflated reviews because many of its reviews fall between 80-90 on Metacritic (IGN - 80, Gamespot - 82, Game Informer 88), but the actual review expresses disappointment over the game and its mechanics.

Shin-Ra

Rex Crowle was the lead UI graphic designer on this. :)

I helped test the game (work exp.) but my name's spelt wrong in the credits!

Some of the stuff people came up with in Sandbox mode was just amazing, given the limitations on the tools available.

I would sign my name on a change.org petition for this (or just get it on GOG).

slash3584

What a fucking great game, I remember alternating between this and RCT3 at the time.

I would love to see some kind of sequel or something, it's has been far too long without any kind of recent tycoon/management type game.

Nokterian

This thread gave me an idea. A wonderful, stupid idea.

http://a.pomf.se/pkpxsf.webm

That is some quality work good sir!

Billy-D_Approves.gif

abadguy

Banned
Eh, not much. It wasn't like you have complete freedom to see your vision come to life. You didn't write a script or anything. You chose from a selection of genres you had available, actors you had on staff, costumes in your inventory, a limited number of sets and animations.

In the end, you're beholden to the movie critics in the game reviewing your movies well so you can take in enough revenue to stay in business.

That's my recollection of it at least. I never had much luck in taking the more custom route with my movies and it's been a couple of years since I've played it.

Mixed amount. You could create your own voice overs and plot lines (iirc you could even lip-synch the characters to your voice), but you don't get to create your own animations. Luckily, there are a ton of different pre-made scenes with a huge variety of options available within them (like camera angle, emotion, etc.) , and you can also place objects in scenes. When I got the game, I mostly played in sandbox mode and cheated for a lot of money and made my own (ridiculously stupid and horrible) movies.

Sounds like it could use a sequel that greatly expands on what the first one did. Like some crazy mix of Halo's Forge, Project Spark and the first game.

Ozium

I don't give a shit about Peter Molyneux or this game but JaseC is cool and deserves his precious +1..

cosigned

For those who have played it, how good is the expansion pack?

I'm a pretty big fan of the game but I'm not sure if I want to get the expansion if it isn't good with how pricey it can be.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Would love to see this on GoG, it's my second most wanted game after "No One Lives Forever".

Based Molyneux plz.

I still have my discs! But I lost my Movies code, still have my Stunts and Effects code. Of course, stunts and effects is useless without the base game.

Now with that said, though I enjoyed the game, I felt more limited in what I could do than I think they were intending. Maybe a revision with more creative options?

I loved The Movies, but not as a game.
Pretty much went straight for the "Unlock everything" cheat and made goofy movies. It was limted as hell but I still made some pretty funny shit.

This thread had me thinking of this game

170.gif

Now THIS GAME was my childhood. I have probably made over 1000 movies with that thing from age 7-26. I still play it from time to time too :)

The 'game' part of The Movies wasn't great, but the film making was fun. Although I stopped playing when it lost my Cowboys vs Zombies masterpiece. :(

devonodev

I loved this game, especially with the expansion pack, being able to use any camera angle, and green screens. I'd upload my movies online that are now gone forever, trying to get that 5 star rating from people.

I would buy a sequel day 1.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This thread had me thinking of this game

170.gif

I sunk so much time into 3DMM. It came with the Win95 PC my parents bought back in the day and was the only game I had at the time aside from AFL '98 and the shareware version of Jazz Jackrabbit.

I don't give a shit about Peter Molyneux or this game but JaseC is cool and deserves his precious +1..

cosigned

tumblr_ml5p41ng1o1r08o2alw.gif

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I sunk so much time into 3DMM. It came with the Win95 PC my parents bought back in the day and was the only game I had at the time aside from AFL '98 and the shareware version of Jazz Jackrabbit.

... speaking of which - this commercial was pretty freaking dark O_O

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
one of the best sandbox games ever! I'm still hopin for a Movies 2

the online video channel was absolutely the best feature

Ok, lets get serious here. There is a long list of Microsoft games for the PC that are unavailable. Who do we need to start bothering at Microsoft? Lets get organized and do this.

Zafir

+1

Really enjoyed The Movies, and I've since lost my retail copy. Would love for it to come back on Steam.

I've done a little research to discover a few issues.

The Movies publishing rights for the PC are still owned by Activision. They don't own the game itself nor the code or any ip rights. Microsoft owns all that. Its just that if it was to get a re-release, their palms will need to be greased. That said, Activision doesn't seem to be impossible to work with. With Microsoft probably not interested in The Movies at all, it will probably take a third party such as Night Dive Studios to get any movement on this.

Black & White 1 & 2 are still owned by EA. There were digital releases for both titles at the defunct shop.ea.com. They even have an updated page but with no purchase link for BW 2
http://www.ea.com/black-and-white-2-battle-of-the-gods
With recent releases of Wing Commander 3 for free, I think there is a reasonable chance that we could get a release of that by politely contacting EA and Origin

Freelancer, Impossible Creatures, Starlancer appear to be all solid Microsoft titles. However that doesn't mean it can't be done. Tex Murphy was once 100% owned by Microsoft as well.

I'm really surprised everyone here is praising The Movies.

Even going as far as to say the best sandbox game ever?

The entire game was designed so the player would make marketing so more people would buy the game. If you tried to actually make something actually complex with it, if you tried to make machinima with it, if you even tried to export it out of The Movies, it would fuck up your computer. They didn't even bother trying to fix any of the bugs, a lot of which were game breaking. When you went on the forums to ask questions? Simply ask questions? Or report bugs? Their community manager would simply respond with "it is human error".

I really enjoyed the game when it came out and with how long it's been it'd be cool to see Microsoft bring it back but i doubt they will.

tumblr_ml5p41ng1o1r08o2alw.gif

I think we got the same pc man. I used to play jazz, tyrian, 3rd movie maker, hover, the incredible machine and a handful others. I loved that pc.

Can someone gif that amazing webm for this poor phone user who cant watch it?

Also, I have an unopened copy somewhere, maybe I should do something with it...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Can someone gif that amazing webm for this poor phone user who cant watch it?

Also, I have an unopened copy somewhere, maybe I should do something with it...

Send it to somebody in Microsoft's PC gaming division, with a link to this thread. ;)

Top Bottom