• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2004 gaming wise gets ignored way too often

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Maybe you didnt like some (or most) of the game on the list, but calling it "not a relevant year" is borderline ignorant.
Every year comes with great games, this is expected. There are stand out years, but I don't see that year as one of the relevant ones. Sorry if I am ignorant to you.

Nasbin

All I see is sequels and disappointment here.

HL2, GTA:SA, PM TTYD, TOS, Doom 3, are all highly expected and highly disappointing sequels to me.

Rome and MGS3 were great, although direct sequels and Fable is the definition of disappointment and broken promises.

Katamari Damacy is the only real stand out for me. Haven't played the others.

Not a relevant year.

This is a real edgy way to say you don't like Half-Life 2. It's still the best year in games regardless.

Motherfucking Ninja Gaiden and WoW in the same year. You can't beat that.

You missed the most important thing.

STEAM

Half Life 2 ushered in pre-loads, 3am unlocks and all that stuff for the first time for a big huge game release.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
This is a real edgy way to say you don't like Half-Life 2. It's still the best year in games regardless.

Motherfucking Ninja Gaiden and WoW in the same year. You can't beat that.
I liked HL2, but it's a disappointing game after the hype and HL1. Learn to read. Disappointing is not the same as bad.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

HL2, GTA:SA, PM TTYD, TOS, Doom 3, are all highly expected and highly disappointing sequels to me.

Rome and MGS3 were great, although direct sequels and Fable is the definition of disappointment and broken promises.

Not a relevant year.

What the fuck did you say?

I know Silent Hill 4: The Room gets a lot of hate for changing so much, but I still enjoy it. It definitely has its share of problems, though.

To me it was the best year in terms of games I actually put a lot of time in and was hyped for. Most of these games on that list I will still fire up to this day just to play them again, even if only for a few hours. I bought and played every single game on your list including others as well. Riddick was/is one of my favorite games and was a pleasant surprise.

Half Life 2/ Doom 3/ MGS3/ Ninja Gaiden were some of my most anticipated games of all time that actually delivered (Doom 3 with mods eclipsed the original personally).

Papacheeks

Banned
I feel that whole generation is overlooked, and in all honesty with the doom and gloomers like Michael Pachter who think the end is near, that the answers to developer/publisher problems lay within.

Games were simpler but made close to the same way, some of the engines and technology for building games became more complex. But fundamentals of game design, never changed.

Which is why some of those titles like Half-life 2 are timeless. Kind of wish with all the stupid online only shit, and customer extortion, we could just hit reset and go back where games were games.

I miss the days of Seeing Grand Theft Auto, next to single player RE4, or Onimusha game.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
What the fuck did you say?
Especially that game. I played it this year in fact, after all the people saying it was the pinnacle of Mario rpgs. Man, what a disappointment. The battle system is bad due to the ridiculous short times to defend our super guard, and the quest system is the worst I've ever seen in an RPG. Traveling anywhere is a core.

Dialogue was good and the game was fine, but this has nothing against the Mario and Luigi series.

Welfare

Not a relevant year.

LOL ok

2004 was definitely one of the best years in gaming.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Half Life 2
Halo 2
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
Burnout 3
Fable 1
Metal Gear Solid 3
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Far Cry
Ninja Gaiden
Star Wars Battlefront
Doom 3
Tales of Symphonia
Def Jam: Fight for NY
Katamari Damacy
Rome: Total War
World of Warcraft
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Rachet and Clank up Your Arsenal

I mean, LOOK AT THIS FUCKING LIST. Half Life 2 sweeped GOTY awards due to its excellently structured design and narrative.

(sighs)

(starts playing HL2 again for the billionth time because its that damn good)

The shit I put up with.

PhineBuyM3

Halo 2 was the only game out of that list I remember being excited for and disappointed by when I actually played it, so I'll continue to pretend 2004 never happened.

Steel

Banned
Yeah, it was definitely a time where things were looking up. The future was bright. It was a very slow decline from there.

Omega

Banned
halo and half life aren't enough to carry a year

while others are good, they're not classics. even at the time no one gave a shit about games like doom 3

Dang Battlefront, I remember hooking up that Kai whatever program to pretend to play online I think. The thought of a current gen only Battlefront with Frostbite makes me so very giddy.

MormaPope

Banned
Pure decent to good to rather straight up garbage on that year.

Gets ignored with reason.

Da fuck, what makes Rome Total War garbage? Rachet and Clank? You must have some fucked quality standards to call a lot of things on the list garbage.

halo and half life aren't enough to carry a year

while others are good, they're not classics. even at the time no one gave a shit about games like doom 3

Do you mainly play first person shooters and not much else?

Fjordson

A little shocked that anyone could downplay 2004.

The first three games on there are pretty big. Hit games that reached out into general pop culture (Halo and GTA) or helped usher in the biggest digital games store on the planet (Half-Life 2). And all of those were highly regarded critically.

Then there's World of Warcraft, without question the biggest MMO of all time and one of the most culturally significant games ever.

And that's not even mentioning lesser known cult games like Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Absolutely insane year.

maxcriden

Paper Mario: TTYD is incredible.

Some other 2004 gems:

Metroid: Zero Mission
Mario vs. DK
Metroid Prime 2
Pikmin 2
Zelda: FSA

Source

It was my favorite year in gaming ever. World of Warcraft, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike Source and Halo 2 all in the same year...what a year it was.

I disagree, the most overlooked year is 2011. 2004 gets mentioned constantly. Here is some of 2011:

LittleBigPlanet 2
Mass Effect 2
Dead Space 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Bulletstorm
Killzone 3
Radiant Historia
Crysis 2
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
Portal 2
Terrria
The Witcher 2
Infamous 2
Bastion
Catherine
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Gears of War 3
Dark Souls
Batman: Arkham City
Payday
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Forza Motorsport 4
Battlefield 3
Sonic Generations
Uncharted 3
Skyrim
Super Mario 3D Land
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Rayman Origins
Saints Row The Third
Minecraft
TLoZ: Skyward Sword
Mario Kart 7

The Llama

I disagree, the most overlooked year is 2011. 2004 gets mentioned constantly. Here is some of 2011:

LittleBigPlanet 2
Mass Effect 2
Dead Space 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Bulletstorm
Killzone 3
Radiant Historia
Crysis 2
Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy
Portal 2
Terrria
The Witcher 2
Infamous 2
Bastion
Catherine
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Gears of War 3
Dark Souls
Batman: Arkham City
Payday
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
Forza Motorsport 4
Battlefield 3
Sonic Generations
Uncharted 3
Skyrim
Super Mario 3D Land
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Rayman Origins
Saints Row The Third
Minecraft
TLoZ: Skyward Sword
Mario Kart 7

Why would you bold the worst game on the list?

oh god I'll never hear the end of it

it's actually not though

hohoXD123

We all know the greatest year will be 2015 though, especially once TLG releases during the holiday period.
If only :(

Top Bottom