• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I finally beat Mega Man 2.

lxNc8zR.jpg

I always get so nostalgic at the end when you see Mega Man walking towards the screen with all the seasons shifting. ;__;

Ryck

I love the ending. The music and visuals have that beautiful-sadness that I love about Japanese culture.
Apparently the designers were forced to make the game in between other projects because the first game basically bombed. So when they finished it they were under the assumption that it would be the last Mega Man game. That is why the ending has that somber finality to it.

Ultima_5

I want to play famicom games. how do i do that. looks like a famicom toploader will be like $100 ish on ebay.

is there an adapter so i can play them on either model of NES?

edit, i guess i have a retron5 which can play famicom games, but my point still stands

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
I want to play famicom games. how do i do that. looks like a famicom toploader will be like $100 ish on ebay.

is there an adapter so i can play them on either model of NES?

edit, i guess i have a retron5 which can play famicom games, but my point still stands

You'll need one of these, I guess:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honey-Bee-Famicom-Adapter-Converter-for-Nintendo-NES-/201171198610?pt=US_Video_Game_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ed6bce292

There are more generic models of it which might be cheaper though.

Edit: God that brings back memories. Haven't seen one of those in... can't remember how many years.

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
Picked up Adventure Island, Tengen Gauntlet (black), and To the Earth off eBay for $16. I'm happy with that.

Rydeen

Grabbed some imports off Yahoo Auctions. For some reason the Famicom Wars auction that included a strategy guide was the cheapest ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Auction claimed Murasame Castle is new. It does looks like the seal was never broken.
How much did Quest of Ki set you back? That one seemed to be way more expensive in general than I initially thought it was going to be when looking at listings on eBay.

Het_Nkik

How much did Quest of Ki set you back? That one seemed to be way more expensive in general than I initially thought it was going to be when looking at listings on eBay.

2080 yen. After shipping and deputy service fees the total was $34.99.

If an import game ever looks stupidly overpriced on eBay, check Yahoo Auctions Japan. You gotta use a middleman service to bid there, though, since it's a Japan-only service.

Anyone going to play any 'horror' NES games this October?

I'm entering a covenant to beat Beetlejuice, no matter how shitty it is past level 1.

Het_Nkik

Finally got around to getting an Earthbound Zero repro cart.

Can't wait to play it and eventually quit halfway through the bullshit that is Mt. Itoi

I need to look into getting one for Mother 3 now.

Looks a lot like the repro cart I got. Did you get it from some Canadian guy?

IrishNinja

man i should get back to EB zero one day too, it just gets mean at some parts, even with the easy patch

I'm entering a covenant to beat Beetlejuice, no matter how shitty it is past level 1.

i'm still picking out mine but honestly, Sweet Home is an amazing choice & not to be missed!

Teknoman

Now you have to participate in The Thread.

lol but seriously, just got a Sweet Home repro (seemed more expensive to get a fami cart, then get that translated), and messed around in it to test things out. Definitely something to take your time with, and either its because of the composite, or the font is a little hard to read at times. Definitely something i'm going to start playing for the 31 days of horror come October 1st.

LayLa

the first version of the Famicom came with square and rubbery buttons but this was quickly withdrawn as the buttons kept getting stuck. as ever, never buy a console at launch!

VJsifzg.jpg

This Kickstarter should interest people here. New NES game and documentary of its creation. Creators of Shovel Knight and Battlekid are involved.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1316851183/the-new-8-bit-heroes-new-nes-game-and-creation-doc

This has me really really interested, especially as a huge Shovel Knight fan. The idea of cross platform functionality between NES and PC is hugely intriguing even if it's just a simple password. Still, Kickstarters make me nervous.

the first version of the Famicom came with square and rubbery buttons but this was quickly withdrawn as the buttons kept getting stuck. as ever, never buy a console at launch!

VJsifzg.jpg

Wow, I never knew this. Sounds horrible. And imagine, they're hardwired so you don't even have a choice.

LayLa

Wow, I never knew this. Sounds horrible. And imagine, they're hardwired so you don't even have a choice.

well at launch, yes.
there were however a variety of third party controllers released that plugged into the front expansion port made by companies like Hori and Ascii.
For example I own the Hori Commander which looks like this (its got turbo sliders for A and B!)

LR8h0GX.jpg

getting any solid release dates for these is a bit problematic as you can imagine. here's a video of some of them

ElTopo

Banned
What is the best and most accurate emulator? I'd like to play Punch Out as legit as possible. Seems like Nestopia is the most accurate one.

So my son went to a flea market today with my wife, (he's 10) I was working today so I couldn't go and sent me a pic of SMB3 that he picked up for a couple of dollars. I told him good score but it doesn't play on the SNES, only the NES which we don't have. I was going to start collecting for the GBA but now feel obligated to start on the NES. He just downloaded Shovel Knight and seems to enjoy it. I haven't touched an NES since I owned one in the late 80's, so my question is, are there certain model systems I should look for and what is the average price for the system with all hook-ups?

jB4MGV0jGor82.jpg

Teknoman

So my son went to a flea market today with my wife, (he's 10) I was working today so I couldn't go and sent me a pic of SMB3 that he picked up for a couple of dollars. I told him good score but it doesn't play on the SNES, only the NES which we don't have. I was going to start collecting for the GBA but now feel obligated to start on the NES. He just downloaded Shovel Knight and seems to enjoy it. I haven't touched an NES since I owned one in the late 80's, so my question is, are there certain model systems I should look for and what is the average price for the system with all hook-ups?

jB4MGV0jGor82.jpg

Finding Mario 3 for a couple bucks is a steal nowadays. That being said, i'd just go for a regular normal model nes...maybe even keep an eye out for one at flea markets or thrift stores. Hook ups shouldnt be too expensive since the composite cables are normal cables you could get at a dollar store. I guess if you wanted a great quality one online, 30-50 dollars?

D.Lo

What is the best and most accurate emulator? I'd like to play Punch Out as legit as possible. Seems like Nestopia is the most accurate one.
If you want to play it legit, you get an NES.

The best and most legit emulator is Virtual Console.

Khaz

I've got Sweet Home boxed on Famicom... How much would it cost for someone to burn the English translated rom onto it?

8bit carts are more difficult to mod. Whereas 16bits mostly are just a matter of burning an eprom and soldering it in place of the original rom, 8bit chips most often were designed to contain the mapper within them. Only a few (usually early) games have the mapper on a separate chip, and only those can be modded.

http://www.nesreproductions.com/ This guy does it, and lists what NES games can be modded. If you want it in your Famicom shell, you'd have to know what Famicom game can be used. The best action would be to contact him directly.

Teknoman

8bit carts are more difficult to mod. Whereas 16bits mostly are just a matter of burning an eprom and soldering it in place of the original rom, 8bit chips most often were designed to contain the mapper within them. Only a few (usually early) games have the mapper on a separate chip, and only those can be modded.

http://www.nesreproductions.com/ This guy does it, and lists what NES games can be modded. If you want it in your Famicom shell, you'd have to know what Famicom game can be used. The best action would be to contact him directly.

Should be 25 bucks either way. At least... FF3 was a pretty easy job according to him. I still havent gotten around to sending mine out.

womp

Finding Mario 3 for a couple bucks is a steal nowadays. That being said, i'd just go for a regular normal model nes...maybe even keep an eye out for one at flea markets or thrift stores. Hook ups shouldnt be too expensive since the composite cables are normal cables you could get at a dollar store. I guess if you wanted a great quality one online, 30-50 dollars?

I bought a NES bundle from some girl a month ago at a local swap for $60 and the NES was basically DOA. No matter what I did I couldn't get it going. It included a primo, gorgeous copy of Mega Man 2 which I was dying to get my hands on though and some extra controllers so I figured I would just resell the system or keep it as a spare. Over the weekend I had my community yard sale table set up and was selling a few NES cart dupes (Blades of Steel and Rush N Attack) for $5 and Mario 3 for $10. They were absolutely disgusting when I bought them but I completely restored them and included the black sleeves as well. Clean, and look sparkly new - and no blowing necessary.

One guy came up ready to pounce if I had the NES to play them on but I told him I have one I cannot sell due to it not working, so he left disappointed. That got me to order a new 72 Pin connector right then and there. It arrived today, I just put it in and wouldn't you know it...thing is booting right up now.

In any case...the system looks brand new. I dusted it out, no yellowing whatsoever, carts pop right on. Next yard sale is in two weeks and I figure I will do my own 'Restored NES' bundle which includes a controller (opened and cleaned of 30 years of grease), Zapper, cords, and a copy of Super Mario/Duck Hunt for like $50-60 which I feel seems like a reasonable price.

Jinto

Picked up a bunch of reproduction dust covers. They look and feel really good actually. Almost as good as the originals. The major difference is you can see the folding at the bottom, since you have to put them together yourself.

Also, Simon's Quest is still my favorite Castlevania.

Mercutio

So at some point, I'm going to get an NES. I have a bunch of games for the system, and I really need to figure out a way to play them.

I intend to do an AV Famicom, and get something like this:
http://www.stoneagegamer.com/nes-to-famicom-converter-72-pin-to-60-pin.html

I'm going AV because I'd like to collect the cheaper Japanese games, but also have good AV output that doesn't have jailbars. I also doubt I'll really require RGB, but at least this model will support it down the road if I go there.

So my question is as follows:

Are there any incompatibilities if I go this route? I remember reading that some Famicom games don't run on the NES properly due to sound hardware contained in the cartridges or something, but how's the situation in reverse? Will any NES games be impossible for me if I have an AV Famicom and an adapter?

So at some point, I'm going to get an NES. I have a bunch of games for the system, and I really need to figure out a way to play them.

I'm going AV because I'd like to collect the cheaper Japanese games, but also have good AV output that doesn't have jailbars. I also doubt I'll really require RGB, but at least this model will support it down the road if I go there.

Are there any incompatibilities if I go this route? I remember reading that some Famicom games don't run on the NES properly due to sound hardware contained in the cartridges or something, but how's the situation in reverse? Will any NES games be impossible for me if I have an AV Famicom and an adapter?

This is exactly the route I went a year ago. Got an AV Famicom and a 72 to 60 pin connector. There's probably a few more, but the only NES game I know of that runs weirdly is Castlevania III. There's almost no reason to play the US version on a Famicom when you have Akumajou Densetsu, though.

This is exactly the route I went a year ago. Got an AV Famicom and a 72 to 60 pin connector. There's probably a few more, but the only NES game I know of that runs weirdly is Castlevania III. There's almost no reason to play the US version on a Famicom when you have Akumajou Densetsu, though.

This makes me question if I should keep my toaster. I've got an AV and I wonder if there's any real reason to keep on with the US system..

D.Lo

I've used that set-up for over 10 years.

No major incompatibilities. And that includes PAL games.
Lazer Invasion is the only game I have that doesn't work.

The only downside of that converter (which is the nicest looking one) is that the carts face backward.

Castlevania 3 works fine for me. I think, haven't run it in a long time. Or maybe it had weird graphical glitches sometimes? I'll test later.

Mercutio

Ha! Well. Castlevania 3 is actually one of the reasons I want an NES, oddly enough. Is the Japanese version better? I don't need English.

Ha! Well. Castlevania 3 is actually one of the reasons I want an NES, oddly enough. Is the Japanese version better? I don't need English.

The JP version (Akumajou Densetsu) is the ideal way to play that game. The difficulty curve is fairer and the music is way better technically thanks to dat VRC6 chip.

Castlevania 3 works fine for me. I think, haven't run it in a long time. Or maybe it had weird graphical glitches sometimes? I'll test later.

I believe this is the case. IIRC, it also depends on what converter you're using, too. Some actually work fine, some don't.

Top Bottom