• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telltale's The Walking Dead Season 2 |OT| Keep That Hair Short

Gorger

Can someone verify that Season 2 does not have a platinum trophy for finishing all episodes? Thanks.

It does not have a platinum since the trophy list was updated along with each episode instead of all in one go like with the Wolf Among Us and TWD season 1.

It was the same case with Back to the Future. It didn't reward you with a platinum unless you bought the whole game on disc after all the episodes was released. This might also happen with TWD S2 whenever they release the game on disc later.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
All in all if say it was a solid season! The whole thing didn't get me as gripped and full of emotions as the last season but was good in it's own right. Looking forward to the next telltale game.

Sibylus

Banned
After giving it thought, I definitely still find myself favoring S1 more in large part because of the strength of the writing and Lee's arc.

For my money, TWD S1 = WAU S1 > TWD S2

cripterion

So 400 days was basically useless?

Like a lot of other people I preferred season 1. Still was fine to play but the lack of involvement on the player part sucks. Season 2 just feels too limiting.

Labrys

Like a lot of other people I preferred season 1. Still was fine to play but the lack of involvement on the player part sucks. Season 2 just feels too limiting.

Yeah, only character that did anything past showing up for a few seconds was Bonnie, and she'd show up in game whether you beat 400 days or not.

So... I'm having issues if anyone can be of any help. I finished Season 1 early last year and really enjoyed it, and I finally got around to picking up 400 Days and Season 2 this week. I was going to start 400 Days today when I looked at my save file and it says I'm on Episode 4 and never even played Episode 5, but... I did. I really do not want to replay those two episodes just to have a working save file for Season 2 (I want *my* choices from when I played it to be there for my season 2 playthrough).

I even went online to try to find a save file where someone made similar choices as myself, but even copying them over into the TWD save file folder in Documents > Telltale Games > The Walking Dead does nothing. It still says I'm on episode 4 on season 1 still. And I turned off the Steam Cloud, so that shouldn't be affecting it, but... I don't know. EDIT: Well, I thought I disabled the Steam Cloud, but when I go to Properties on the game, there's a checkmark by "Steam Cloud" and it's grayed out so it won't let me uncheck it.

Anyone have any advice?

EDIT #2: Well, I got the new save files I downloaded to work finally (had to copy a file into a certain folder in the Steam directory), but I'm still really annoyed my progress didn't save from season 1.

EDIT #3: Well, after some research, I copied my old file into the steamapps folder and it seems to have revived my old saves for whatever reason.

jakomocha

Well, I'm one of the people who waited for all 5 episodes to come out before starting to play, like I did with the first season. Currently I've played through the first two episodes.
Here's some of my feelings on it:
Omid and (presumably) Christa died way too early on. I felt like they didn't give the characters or their deaths any respect at all. I expected Omid to die sometime within the season, but not that soon. The series could really use some humor after all, season 2 so far has been a lot darker and bleaker than Season 1. The dog scene hurt a lot, I was nearly bawling as I am a huge dog lover (I own three dogs). All in all, Episode 1 was good but definitely had some pacing issues.
Episode 2 was a lot better than 1, however I do feel like they are introducing far too many characters at once which makes it difficult to connect with anyone. Also, not sure if anyone has touched on this, but there are way too many survivors within short range of each other. Isn't something like only 1% of the world left alive? They shouldn't be bumping into this many people within this short time of each other.
Seeing Kenny again was amazing, I was tearing up. I already knew he'd be in it (thanks for spoiling it IGN), but I thought they handled it really well. One thing odd I noted though was that Kenny was very friendly... to a weird extent. Maybe he was like that in Season 1 for some people but certainly not in my playthrough. I do wish that Molly was in their group though, that was disappointing. I get the feeling she won't show up again in the later episodes, but hopefully I'm wrong.
Clementine is an excellent character. She should feel unrealistic, but she doesn't because Telltale handles her growth so well. If anything, Clementine from Season 1 felt more unrealistic than Season 2 to me simply because of how they have handled and portrayed her.
One other thing I noticed was that there are quite a few coincidences in this game. For example, when you push Sam (the dog) off of you, what are the chances that directly behind him are two carefully placed spikes? This isn't the only example of that either.

Finally, this game actually looks really really good. I'm surprised.

Episode 4 Spoilers:
I haven't played Episode 4 yet (I've still got to play 3 before that) but some jerk spoiled to me that Sarah dies.

Wolfie5

Just finished episode 1 and "on the next episode" preview started to happen. Is there anyway to skip this part? I don´t want to get spoiled.

Manu

Just finished episode 1 and "on the next episode" preview started to happen. Is there anyway to skip this part? I don´t want to get spoiled.

Most of the times it doesn't even match with what actually happens because of writing changes between episodes.

It's really interesting to see the strong difference in opinion across the gaming press. IGN didn't like episode 4, yet loved episode 5. Complete opposite for Gamespot and Gametrailers. I definitely side with IGN on this one. I'd give episode 4 a 6.5/10 and episode 5 a 9/10. I just couldn't give a damn about the events of episode 4.

For me, it went:
Episode 1: 9/10
Episode 2: 9/10
Episode 3: 9.5/10
Episode 4: 6.5/10
Episode 5: 9/10

Gavin996

Unconfirmed Member
It's really interesting to see the strong difference in opinion across the gaming press. IGN didn't like episode 4, yet loved episode 5. Complete opposite for Gamespot and Gametrailers. I definitely side with IGN on this one. I'd give episode 4 a 6.5/10 and episode 5 a 9/10. I just couldn't give a damn about the events of episode 4.

For me, it went:
Episode 1: 9/10
Episode 2: 9/10
Episode 3: 9.5/10
Episode 4: 6.5/10
Episode 5: 9/10

I agree, episode 4 was a bit of a weak point, which I think is a problem with all of Telltale's series from TWD season 1 onwards.

Damn that was intense.

Episode 5 spoilers:

I ended up killing Kenny to put him out of his misery. He just seemed so done at times, and I felt bad that he had a prideful need to keep living, so I made the decision for him.

flkraven

Hello friends! Quick question: do we know yet if there will be a cross buy discount for new gen versions of the game? I own both seasons on Xbox 360, and want to get it on XB1.

gdt

Just finished it. Man, what an intense finale. Just chock full of tension and emotion. Sure, Season 1 was better, but this was right up there.

Quick question for those who have played The Walking Dead Season 2: does the choices from S1 (and 400 days) have big impact on season 2? I played the first season and 400 days on X360, however I want to buy S2 on PC (primarily because of how much cheaper it is).

Linkark07

Banned
Quick question for those who have played The Walking Dead Season 2: does the choices from S1 (and 400 days) have big impact on season 2? I played the first season and 400 days on X360, however I want to buy S2 on PC (primarily because of how much cheaper it is).

From S1, as far as I remember, it's mostly some changes in the dialogue.

As for 400 days, it doesn't matter if you play it or not in Season 2. There are some cameo appearances from the characters that followed Travia and that's all (with the exception of Bonnie).

Yep, no point to the story at all.
I feel like Season 1 was better if because the people we were around were more relatable. Season 2 had some good ones, but they ended up dying someway and we were left with jerks.
Since we are getting a Season 3 I hope they do a better job with the side characters. If I had to guess, we are going to be playing as
Alvin Jr

Alright, so it seems like the previous choices don't matter much? Thinking I'll go with the PC version then!

It matters to a degree. There are going to be variations, but true diverging narrative is very difficult because with each choice, developers need to account for a multitude of additional possibilities. You can't have so many diverging paths that you'll be able to account for all of them before running out of resources for your game. Otherwise you'd end up having a 2TB video game.

Hubble

Has there been any news of next gen owners being able to retrieve their saves from their last console to continue the series?

Just finished season 2. I said this after Jurassic Park, but that's the last Telltale game I play for a while. I can't stand that engine, and the writing varies wildly from chapter to chapter of every game from decent to embarrassingly shitty, which is not good when the writing is the only thing being offered. The performance on the vita version made every single QTE a frustrating chore.

Solidsoul

Banned
came in expecting a necro bump for xb1/ps4 impressions.

leaving disappointed.

I'll prolly double dip by the weekend-and re-necro bump. haha

Man, i came here to say the exact same thing.

Can anyone in this thread with hands on experience of the Xbox One version of The Walking Dead confirm to me that the game performs better, or in anyway is a justifiable purchase for someone who already has the originals digitally on 360?

(I only ask about XB1 because i don't have a PS4)

Hubble

Man, i came here to say the exact same thing.

Can anyone in this thread with hands on experience of the Xbox One version of The Walking Dead confirm to me that the game performs better, or in anyway is a justifiable purchase for someone who already has the originals digitally on 360?

(I only ask about XB1 because i don't have a PS4)

That's the thing I enjoy the series (season 2 is less ambitious) but if I have to replay it from the beginning then count me out, and I won't be buying on my next gen system. I am shocked there hasn't been any information on how older 360 saves can be used on your Xbox One like Minecraft since that is really important for an episodic title.

Solidsoul

Banned
That's the thing I enjoy the series (season 2 is less ambitious) but if I have to replay it from the beginning then count me out, and I won't be buying on my next gen system. I am shocked there hasn't been any information on how older 360 saves can be used on your Xbox One like Minecraft since that is really important for an episodic title.

I read on the official forums "There is no way to transfer saves between platforms at this time" from an official TellTale representative. I still haven't found anything on the performance issues being fixed though.

hank_tree

I also want impressions from the PS4/X1 versions.

Do your choices from the first game make any impact? I want to move onto the current gen consoles but my save is on 360. Will I be missing much if I don't have a save to bring in?

I also want impressions from the PS4/X1 versions.

Do your choices from the first game make any impact? I want to move onto the current gen consoles but my save is on 360. Will I be missing much if I don't have a save to bring in?
The only thing that is done is cameos via 400 Days. I had a Season 1 save and it did nothing to the plot. So feel free to get the XB1/PS4 version.

I'm debating on getting both seasons one the One or Sunset Overdrive. I played season one and a little bit of two on different systems and wanted them in one now. I really enjoyed season one and the little I played of two I just need help deciding.I plan to get all three down the line but not sure in what order. Is season two just as good as one?

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm debating on getting both seasons one the One or Sunset Overdrive. I played season one and a little bit of two on different systems and wanted them in one now. I really enjoyed season one and the little I played of two I just need help deciding.I plan to get all three down the line but not sure in what order. Is season two just as good as one?

I'm currently going through Season 2 (Just hit Episode 5) and holy hell this every bit as good or better than Season 1. Plus it's only $30 so it's a no brainer if you enjoyed S1.

televator

Well I just completed season 2... there was a lot not to like in this one for me, but it was good enough to play for trophies. I see how they were trying to build up the finale with the characters you were supposed to grow attached to, but it only made me hate all the characters in the group. It backfired. Everyone was a shit head. Plus the narrative was hard to swallow. Clementine is
eleven years old
and the shit she gets into as far as interacting with adults was a real stretch.

Season 2 takes a huge nosedive in the writing department. Every scenario is based around adults sending clem into danger to give the player something to do. It was powerfully stupid by the end.

zkorejo

Finally got the ps4 version. The game feels alot more better looking and smoother than TWD season 1.

Completed 2 episodes and in the middle of the third one. I'm really enjoying it but
I really miss Lee. Just when I started to forget about him, Kenny shows up. Never liked Kenny in the first season (felt bad for him at times), but now I find him alot better.

jcm

Finally starting the PS4 version of this. I'm irritated there was nothing to be done with my PS3 save, and I'm irritated that there's apparently no way to skip the credits between episodes. Also, the engine performance isn't very good, which makes me wonder if Telltale's engine runs well on anything at all. All that said, I enjoyed the first two episodes.

occelinho

I just finished season 1 on ps4 and now I wanted to start with season 2 and the game can't find any savegames from season 1 to import?

Did that happen to anyone too?

Jinjo

Finally starting the PS4 version of this. I'm irritated there was nothing to be done with my PS3 save, and I'm irritated that there's apparently no way to skip the credits between episodes. Also, the engine performance isn't very good, which makes me wonder if Telltale's engine runs well on anything at all. All that said, I enjoyed the first two episodes.

As someone who has the second season on PS3 and hasn't completed yet (episode 4&5 to go), would you say it's worth it to double dip on the PS4 version and start from scratch there (season 2 only)? Or are the performance issues still as bad as PS3 and does the lack of imported save matter to the story (episode 4&5 onwards)?

Chaos17

Season 2 takes a huge nosedive in the writing department. Every scenario is based around adults sending clem into danger to give the player something to do. It was powerfully stupid by the end.

Yup that's why I gave Clem the nickname of Rambo, lol.
I really prefered season 1 over season 2 for that reason.

jcm

As someone who has the second season on PS3 and hasn't completed yet (episode 4&5 to go), would you say it's worth it to double dip on the PS4 version and start from scratch there (season 2 only)? Or are the performance issues still as bad as PS3 and does the lack of imported save matter to the story (episode 4&5 onwards)?

As far as I can tell, the lack of an imported save doesn't really matter. I haven't played S2 on PS3, but the performance of S2 on PS4 is much better than the performance of S1 was. It's still not perfect - there's some framerate hitches. But it's much better than the PS3 was for me. Whether it's an extra $25 better, I'm not sure.

Top Bottom