• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Female Character revealed for Tekken 7

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Why? Use Christie. How bout a black woman that looks like lupita nyungo?

Lupita is a extraordinarily beautiful woman, and a character like her would rock but so would someone like Aaliyah. Christie is a fine character, but she isn't like Aaliyah so what's the point here?

I wish more characters in fighting games talked.
I actually hate it most of the time. It's always the same noises repeated and it never matches what's happening on screen with the character's actions. Not saying it has to be that way, but often is. Shit kills me in some of those anime looking fighters lol

Pimpbaa

I would like to say she is my new favorite Tekken character (in regards to looks), but I have to wait and see how well the Tekken team translate that art into 3D.

Trojan X

Banned
Hmm... I like the character design (No, she does not look like Megan Fox, thank goodness), but I am going to go out on a limb by saying that I think Namco made a poor choice in respect to fighting style. I feel that her style may be a little too similar to other fighters so the possibility is high that they won't be enough distinction that makes her fighting together with her character unique. I'll wait and see...

I dig the design but only beef would be that it encroaches on the same territory as Christie in territory. They really need to convey a different personality for her and maybe change Christie's design a little, lol.

Don't know if there will be room for both Eddie/Tiger and Christie in tekken 7.

Makes sense to cut Christie.

Really hoped to see a British fighter... As long as Steve sounds Australian I won't accept him as being British pfft.

Sounds better than Dudley.

Brunobi02

Neo Member
Señor Coyote;130869737 said:
I've never seen a female in a fighing game wear heels before.

Not sure if serious.....
C567d04e6cf560f1fbb142fd0e44d1b2.png

Ivy-sc2fix.jpg

SFA3_Rose.gif

Momentary

Banned
I hope that along with updated graphics, that ALL the animations are revamped. I don't care if they have to reduce the roster to do it. I'd rather have quality than quantity. They can add "expansions" later Like Bloodline Rebellion and what not.

I know some people cry about DLC, but I've been playing fighting games for so long and have had to pay full price for minor updates of fighting games since they early 90's that I don't give a crap.

Bardiche

Señor Coyote;130869737 said:
I've never seen a female in a fighing game wear heels before.

Nina Williams wore heels in Tekken 3.

TRUTH
Infact, truer words have never been spoken (in this thread at least).
Thank God, Japan, and the 1990s for giving us gaming's most badass girl, the true Queen of Iron Fist!

...I <3 U Nina &#1641;(&#3665;&#10075;&#7447;&#10075;&#3665;)&#1782;

No, that would go to Michelle. Michelle is the first female character to punch when tackling characters, she has suplexes, and she's cute...
*still bitter that Michelle is the only original Tekken female character missing in the main games while Nina is in every game T_T*.

Catalina looks like a fusion of C.Viper and T4 Christie. I think her design is a step up from the Tekken 6 characters but she's nowhere near the awesomeness of the new characters of T5: Asuka, Raven, and Feng Wei.

Laconic

Banned
Whats ... whats your point here.

Are you trying to say she isn't black because of some made up blackness levels?

Sayah said "Chrisie is Brasilian".

You said "That doesn't stop you from being black".

I said "Christie is both Brasilian and not black".

Seems pretty clear to me.

Or are you trying to say that she is black because of some blackness levels you made up?

Village

Sayah said "Chrisie is Brasilian".

You said "That doesn't stop you from being black".

I said "Christie is both Brasilian and not black".

Seems pretty clear to me.

Or are you trying to say that she is black because of some blackness levels you made up?

Why is she not black?

Laconic

Banned
Or you could explain.

Because what it sounds like you are saying is " she doesn't look like eddie/raven so she isn't black " which is indeed bullshit.

Really?

You are looking a trifle narrow-minded in your views of race.

Not everything is 'Murikan black and white.

She looks to be what would in Brasil be something other than black. In Brasil she would not be considered black.

More than likely, she has a bit of black in her. Most probably a healthy dose of Native as well; perhaps Tupi. And definitely a sizable amount of some Portuguese and/or Italian and/or Spanish.

Race is not black and white, the world over.

Mr. X

I'm getting a "any black at all means you're black" vibe from this convo.

She's intentionally ambiguously brown anyway so she can be whatever the audience desires since Brasil is an incredibly mixed region.

Dahbomb

She's intentionally ambiguously brown anyway so she can be whatever the audience desires since Brasil is an incredibly mixed region.
Yeah that's what I figured too. I am not sure why we have to put labels on fictional characters like that.

Village

Really?

You are looking a trifle narrow-minded in your views of race.

Not everything is 'Murikan black and white.

She looks to be what would in Brasil be something other than black. In Brasil she would not be considered black.

More than likely, she has a bit of black in her. Most probably a healthy dose of Native as well; perhaps Tupe. And definitely a sizable amount of some Portuguese and/or Italian and/or Spanish.

Race is not black and white, the world over.

I never said everything was black and white, my argument was that black is a lot more grey than what a lot of people believe. The basis of my argument is that black and white isn't black and white. Suggesting that she could indeed be black.

Next, while I am very much impressed at your uh.. guestimation of what her ethnic origins are, being of mixed ethnicity doesn't disqualify you from being black. I know this first hand.

Lastly , you seem to be working under the assumption, definitely saying that she is indeed black. My whole thing was suggesting that she could be. Do I think she is, yes, I think she is black with straiter hair because those are real people that exist. But not what I was saying , all I was saying was " she could be black, he being from brazil doesn't make her not black ". To which then you respond, to me desiccating and entire entire countries perception of an imaginary characters ethnicity to justify what ever ethnicity you thought she was. And then made up a genealogy to further aforementioned self justification.

All I said was " eh she could be black, being from brazil don't make you not black"

and then you go " she's not black in brazil" that's a broad assumption filled statement.

Mr. X

Yeah that's what I figured too. I am not sure why we have to put labels on fictional characters like that.

Representation is cool. I'd love a character that was from a ethnicity that doesn't have a lot of representation in gaming and for the developer to explicitly say that the character is that instead of "ambiguously brown".

Never thought that there was any dispute that Christie is black. Brazil pretty much is like the Dominican Republic in regards to how they consider one black. Some of those with clear African lineage would deny it while others with even less defining features still would consider themselves black. There is no dispute with who's considered white though.

I would also figure how Tekken has mostly kept the character the same race as the people who had invented the martial art that's associated with the character. I don't think I've seen a single video game where the developer drew a distinctively looking black woman. Elena, Vanessa, Lisa, Tanya, and Jade I've all seen been disputed, but Elena less so probably only because she's actually from Africa.

It almost never seems to be questioned when the male is black. Only Dudley is the only who has been, so it sounds like to me if you have natural hair your blackness is never in question. If your hair is straightened people are quick to take away the African association.

No, that would go to Michelle. Michelle is the first female character to punch when tackling characters, she has suplexes, and she's cute...
*still bitter that Michelle is the only original Tekken female character missing in the main games while Nina is in every game T_T*.

Personally I think they should just redo Michelle's moves from scratch and give her a more fitting style than being a Wang knock-off from way back. Something a bit more rough-and-tumble perhaps. Also, give her a new look. I've always found her look a bit condescending, too cutesy and stereotyped, with the token feather and leather vest. If they're going to make her the "native american girl" then at least be more authentic about it. I've always wondered why they had to make her half-Chinese also. Simply as a cover story for the fact that Namco gave her Wang's moves and called it a day?

Akainu

It almost never seems to be questioned when the male is black. Only Dudley is the only who has been, so it sounds like to me if you have natural hair your blackness is never in question. If your hair is straightened people are quick to take away the African association.
I also can't think of any black men in games that also didn't have dark skin, no ambiguously brown stuff.

Top Bottom