• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life DLC priced at £7.19 and detailed

Busaiku

I think this is most certainly related to the stigma that DLC has, this would probably be better received if the game was $45 but included everything.

Right, I'm not excited about DLC when Fantasy Life Link has been out for 1.5 years, but I would've probably still gotten it.
Now splitting the userbase is something I cannot tolerate.

GeoMarine

Neo Member
Personally, I'm sold on the game itself and glad that they are at least throwing in multiplayer. However, whoever decided to charge extra for old content separately and then split the multiplayer base, made some incredibly stupid decisions.

When Microsoft royally screwed up announcing the Xbox One with all the restrictions, this was bad. But at least they had enough people to complain and so they fixed it. In this case, I doubt the game will sell well enough over here to even have enough people ready to complain about it...shame. The people who can't be bothered to complain with just buy it anyway on day one. So my guess is we'll all just have to live with it. Us buying it or not, it doesn't really make a big difference to them.

Really there is no point complaining because I doubt Level-5 or Nintendo will care enough to do anything about it. Again, what a shame.

Santar

You can't actually activate the dlc until after you've beaten the story, and the game is supposed to be very long, so I don't think it will split the user base too much. Or at least it could've been worse.

The price is alright. When they say need to activate after the main story, do they mean all the DLC content? Because it would be strange if we can't have access to the customization parts and pet birds beforehand, since you are supposed to have access to them early on in the game.

GeoMarine

Neo Member
You can't actually activate the dlc until after you've beaten the story, and the game is supposed to be very long, so I don't think it will split the user base too much. Or at least it could've been worse.

I actually believe that as soon as you "Purchase" the expansion, your cut off from everyone else. They certainly use this wording.

"Players who have purchased the Origin Island Expansion Pack cannot connect in multiplayer with players who have not purchased it. Multiplayer connection will only be possible with other owners of the Expansion Pack."

It doesn't say, "Reached" or "Activated", it says "Purchased".

What I mean is, people who buy it on day one will be cut off from everyone else, even though they can't play it yet...sucks.

GeoMarine

Neo Member
The price is alright. When they say need to activate after the main story, do they mean all the DLC content? Because it would be strange if we can't have access to the customization parts and pet birds beforehand, since you are supposed to have access to them early on in the game.

That's what I thought, I didn't see any benefit to buying it on day one when you can't access any of it until you've completed the game anyway.

If someone can clarify this who owns the Japanese version, that would be great. Did you can access to any of the expansion content if you hadn't already completed the game?

Just a heads up, it has been confirmed by multiple people (on GAF and elsewhere) that the DLC content is NOT all post-game, as Nintendo had stated

Aspects such as the extra customization parts and the pet birds are available at exactly the same time as they were in the Japanese version. (Upon starting, and from the first town onwards, respectively.) Not all content has been confirmed yet, but I think it's safe to assume that the game will play the same as it did in Japan. (ie. Origin Island itself, and all content directly related to it, will still be post-game.)

Pretty poor job on Nintendo's part explaining this, as I know the confusion had put some people off. So for anyone thinking it would be best to wait until after you beat the game to buy the DLC, I'd reconsider that choice now, as doing so will delay access to early game content.

Elija2

Just a heads up, it has been confirmed by multiple people (on GAF and elsewhere) that the DLC content is NOT all post-game, as Nintendo had stated

Aspects such as the extra customization parts and the pet birds are available at exactly the same time as they were in the Japanese version. (Upon starting, and from the first town onwards, respectively.) Not all content has been confirmed yet, but I think it's safe to assume that the game will play the same as it did in Japan. (ie. Origin Island itself, and all content directly related to it, will still be post-game.)

Pretty poor job on Nintendo's part explaining this, as I know the confusion had put some people off. So for anyone thinking it would be best to wait until after you beat the game to buy the DLC, I'd reconsider that choice now, as doing so will delay access to early game content.

Has it been confirmed whether or not people with the DLC can play online with people who don't have the DLC?

Yes. No multiplayer and no StreetPass.
It is 2 blocks as well (i.e. unlock key). I hope every post play survey mentions how toxic it is. Killing multiplayer in a social game (when the content is already there) is dumb and the whole thing is just toxic to discussing the game at large.

It seems to me is they should have done it like an online pass as the only justification for the price I feel is make bank off used/give more content to stop trade ins.

I feel level5ia are to blame and probably the ones to contact.

Edit: I forgot NOE are lying about the content " The Expansion Pack needs to be activated in-game after purchase, and this can only occur once the main story has been completed." is complete BS. The origin island is locked until post game but the other features of the DLC are not.

Santar

Thanks for the info, that made me get the DLC.
I know I shouldn't support these kinds of dlc practices but I want the whole game.

Pikma

Banned
Welp that really sucks, I guess my decision on whether or not I get the DLC on day 1 will be depend on the people I play with, now that we know this we should organize a list, to identify who's getting the DLC and who's not, just so we can keep track of it and organize our parties better.

Can't wait for the NA launch :(

Are people really gonna skip the DLC though? It's quite a substantial chunk of game to miss out on.

I feel that people that don't get the DLC will be left in the dark, as I imagine the majority of players will be getting it. But I guess this is exactly the same as it was in Japan too. Upgrade or be left behind. :/

It's a lame situation, but I really don't want to see the game suffer because of it. By all accounts, it's really something special.

web01

Unlock Key for DLC on the cart and then even disabling multi-player between haves and have nots is absolutely disgusting practice and shitty implementation. Doesn't deserve support from anyone. Parroting the Japanese release doesn't justify it in any way at all either.

Imagine if for Monster Hunter 4 western release they cut all the extra content except online multi content then sold it to us as DLC because we never got the original game. That is exactly what they are doing with Fantasy Life and people have the gall to defend it.

Impotaku

This change nothing because the Japanese version which contained that extra content is 50$ in Japan.

On amazon.com the game only is 39,99$ + 7.99$ DLC = 47.98$

So your whining is pointless because you're not been charged more than the Japanese version full version of Fantasy Life Link.
The bright side of this deal is that you will pay less than the Jaoanese version if the extra content doesn't interest you.

The Japanese version isn't $50 you can get it brand new for $37 (4070 yen)
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00CZ5BPVG/ the Western release isn't that great of a deal.

Pikma

Banned
Are people really gonna skip the DLC though? It's quite a substantial chunk of game to miss out on.

I feel that people that don't get the DLC will be left in the dark, as I imagine the majority of players will be getting it. But I guess this is exactly the same as it was in Japan too. Upgrade or be left behind. :/

It's a lame situation, but I really don't want to see the game suffer because of it. By all accounts, it's really something special.

Well, then, let's not skip it :p

Impotaku

It's just a situation that's been badly handled by Nintenddo/Level 5 in the west, in Japan there never was this problem. If you wanted to go online you had to buy the link version, everyone that played online had the same version so there was none of this if you have dlc you can't play with others that don't, as everyone had the same core game.

If there were people playing the first version they couldn't go online anyway unless they bought the link kit to upgrade their game to the link version.

duckroll

Players who have purchased the Origin Island Expansion Pack cannot connect in multiplayer with players who have not purchased it. Multiplayer connection will only be possible with other owners of the Expansion Pack. The Expansion Pack needs to be activated in-game after purchase, and this can only occur once the main story has been completed.

Ah, I see Nintendo is really trying super hard to be taken seriously as a modern day AAA publisher. :)

Robin64

The fact you can't even StreetPass across the two different versions is baffling. I can only assume that they completely change the ID for the game when you have the DLC on and they are, for all intents and purposes, two "different" games.

And no, this is not a very good way to do it, at least from our perspective. I can't possibly comment on the technical hurdles they faced, though.

This is some of the worst DLC implementation I have ever seen. Shame on you, Nintendo. I'm not even sure I want to buy this game anymore.

wow. what the hell for?
Wouldn't be the first time level 5 has made completely no sense whatsoever. (note it is only the UK that doesn't get that game, other English eShops like Ireland have it, the "downloadable game size constraints" is complete BS and the whole justification is shaky when the US game and US anime dub are different)

I feel it is bully people into buying the DLC and it seems to be working.

scamander

Banned
Wouldn't be the first time level 5 has made completely no sense whatsoever. (note it is only the UK that doesn't get that game, other English eShops like Ireland have it, the "downloadable game size constraints" is complete BS and the whole justification is shaky when the US game and US anime dub are different)

I still don't understand the reasoning behind this. If what they say is true, it makes absolutely no sense that they favoured the American over the British localisation for the European release. No one in the EU needs an American dub/ localisation for that game, since all countries which didn't receive their own are used to the British as well.
Level-5 also had no issue releasing the game on the German eShop, although (for some strange reason) it is missing the German dub & subs.

Streetpass works guys.
According to the manual:

"Multiplayer will only be possible with other owners of the Expansion Pack. You will be able to tag players who do not have the Expansion Pack via Streetpass, but they will not be able to receive gifts that are exclusive to the Origin Island Expansion Pack."

daxy

It's a suboptimal DLC situation but I personally am already happy the game made it out of Japan, so I'll be supporting these guys outside of buying the base game. I didn't even anticipate this game as much as others in this thread supposedly did, and this is hardly a dealbreaker for me. The base game has a lot of content already and the localization is outstanding.

It's a simple proposition: if you want more content after the story, buy the DLC. No need to get it upfront. There will be others who don't either. The DLC is chafing your buns? Don't get it, but don't poison the well by making this seem more egregious than it is. These were two games in Japan. It would've been a much more questionable if they released the multiplayerless first version.

Top Bottom