• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia 2 |OT| Return of the Bazongas

RalchAC

Milla
didn't have a lisp so I was inclined to say she was better than the original. And then shit happened and real Milla came back and didn't have a lisp either and had bigger hooters.

The black outfit is definitely better than the normal one
a and her boobs don't look that big either. Not big difference but maybe the color helps.

Finished the game with
Ludger is the new president and meets his wife ending
. I've looked for some info in Google and that's not the true ending. Does the real true super ending let's me see what happens with the characters after the game ends or something? That 1 minute custscene wasn't ask that satisfying. I want them to close some doors.

Zafir

The black outfit is definitely better than the normal one
a and her boobs don't look that big either. Not big difference but maybe the color helps.

Finished the game with
Ludger is the new president and meets his wife ending
. I've looked for some info in Google and that's not the true ending. Does the real true super ending let's me see what happens with the characters after the game ends or something? That 1 minute custscene wasn't ask that satisfying. I want them to close some doors.

It gives you a bit of insight on the characters, but it's only about 30 seconds at most. I did wish they kind of gave more on them really. Xillia did that better.

Just finished Xillia 1. How much content is actually recycled in 2? If its so much, is it really a $60 title? Shouldnt it have been $40?

But the battle system really grew on me, and i want to collect those cute kitties in the second one, so really thinking about blowing the money.

Just finished Xillia 1. How much content is actually recycled in 2? If its so much, is it really a $60 title? Shouldnt it have been $40?

But the battle system really grew on me, and i want to collect those cute kitties in the second one, so really thinking about blowing the money.

There are definitely a lot of recycled locations, but I didn't feel it was a bad thing. I also hadn't played the first game in months when I started Xillia 2, so that may cause you to experience a bit more deja vu than I did. But both games take place largely in the same locations, so why wouldn't the same assets be used again?

Finalow

But both games take place largely in the same locations, so why wouldn't the same assets be used again?
simply because it sucks. those areas/dungeons were already bad to being with.

and that's an excuse for being lazy. even if it "makes sense" you can still renew those areas somehow, add some stuff or make them look aged/different/better. they could have improved those locations in a lot of ways and still maintain the "game takes place in the same world" thing.
they could have also used less areas from the first game instead of copy-pasting all of them (they even recycled the fucking ship) , and they could have created more new ones. new locations/dungeons are just a few and most of them are awful.

RalchAC

I'll say wait at least 2 months before playing the sequel. Most of the game is recycled. Areas are recycled and the fractured dimensions where you spend an important chunk of time are the same old areas again. So you may get tired to revisit everything 2 or 3 times if you play it just after you've beaten the original.

Still, the game is a must play. Characters feel a lot better in the sequel and the story is really, really good.

simply because it sucks. those areas/dungeons were already bad to being with.

and that's an excuse for being lazy. even if it "makes sense" you can still renew those areas somehow, add some stuff or make them look aged/different/better. they could have improved those locations in a lot of ways and still maintain the "game takes place in the same world" thing.
they could have also used less areas from the first game instead of copy-pasting all of them (they even recycled the fucking ship) , and they could have created more new ones. new locations/dungeons are just a few and most of them are awful.

Yep, this. Even if I love the game, there are some things that are inexcusable. The amount of new areas is quite low (the new Elympios area was really small!) and the few new areas that were actually new weren't that good (Canaan is especially awful, I got burned easily with all those dead ends).

Another problem I found with some re-used boss fights is that the new exploit system makes them rather... unbalanced. Like you depleting half the boss life in one chain after you exploit its weakness, for example.

In other cases it's not that nice for you since in the original you were supposed to swap between party members and some specific skill was key for the battle, but you don't have that character in your party in Xillia 2.

The former happens way more than the latter, though, and I have to say I absolutely hated the "!" now I'm invencible thing bosses in the Xillia sub-series use. In this game wasn't as annoying as in the original, so I'm happy with that outcome.

ys45

Finished the game , damn, those endings did not really deliver -_-
Tales of Xillia was so much better .

And that true ending
is just too sad, worse than the normal IMHO

Soriku

Pretty much all of Rieze Maxia is recycled. If you plan to collect all the loot again, you're gonna be burned out.

Not gonna lie, I was hoping they'd at least make the spirit climes go away as per Xillia 1 ending.

Many NPCs talk about that. The climes are going away, but slowly, and not in a year's time. It helps them recycle areas :p

Soriku

"As per Xillia 1 ending" refers to e.g. the Night Clime disappearing in a matter of moments. :mad:

Did they say that would happen? I don't remember. In the last scene in Xillia 1's ending for Jude, Fennmont still has its night clime...

RangerBAD

Okay, so I'm going to be heading into chapter 15 soon
and I wanted to know what I need to do in order to come out of it with all the trophies. I assume I'll need to make a second save at the start of the chapter? What else do I need to be aware of, how do I get the endings, etc.
Please advise me, TalesGAF.

Saphirax

and I wanted to know what I need to do in order to come out of it with all the trophies. I assume I'll need to make a second save at the start of the chapter? What else do I need to be aware of, how do I get the endings, etc.

There's a save point right before the last boss fight. You don't have to make a second save, when you load the clear data it will throw you right back at that save point.

As for the bad ending, without spoiling anything, keep refusing. Once you get it continue from that save.

Zafir

You don't even really need to keep a save, the endings put you back before the choice after loading the clear save. Keep refusing to do what the game wants in the choices in Chapter 15, and you'll get the bad end. Then at the end of Chapter 16, all L1 for the normal ending, all R1 for the true ending.

Falk

that puzzling face
If you're a completionist you'll actually want to load the 'clear' save that the game allows you to make after the bad end as that's the only way it registers as having been done as far as in-game grade points/etc go.

Cryst

How difficult is it to plat this game compared to ToX1?

Difficulty-wise, probably on par. It'll likely take several more hours to plat though due to some grinding. I clocked my platinum at 92hrs, with every other random thing completed (except craftable Devil Arms or whatever, but you don't need those for platinum). Hitting level cap probably took me the longest at standard 1x experience rate, :/

RangerBAD

You guys didn't tell me about this
bullshit fight to get the bad end. Bad end should be the easiest to get.

I'm going to need some tips on this.

Soriku

I feel like I might be going way slower than everyone. I'm around 60 hours in and on chapter 11. I've been doing the red quests I can, beating all the elite monsters I can (right now I've managed beaten all of them), doing character episodes, and collecting all the loot on the field in the prime dimension (only chests in the fractured).

RangerBAD

I feel like I might be going way slower than everyone. I'm around 60 hours in and on chapter 11. I've been doing the red quests I can, beating all the elite monsters I can (right now I've managed beaten all of them), doing character episodes, and collecting all the loot on the field in the prime dimension (only chests in the fractured).

I'm 76 hours in and I'm just at chapter 15. /shrug

LuuKyK

Just did Leia's first side-chapter thing.

Was not expecting the
diarrhea
comment. Wtf, that was kinda harsh, and funny. lol

Zafir

You guys didn't tell me about this
bullshit fight to get the bad end. Bad end should be the easiest to get.

I'm going to need some tips on this.

Buy those accessories which resurrect you when you die, and equip the skill which means you resurrect with full life. Having dash also helps so you can run away easily. You need to avoid being surrounded like the plague because they will combo you to death. Abuse the hell out of the Chromatus AoE to kill a few of them in one.

RangerBAD

Buy those accessories which resurrect you when you die, and equip the skill which means you resurrect with full life. Having dash also helps so you can run away easily. You need to avoid being surrounded like the plague because they will combo you to death. Abuse the hell out of the Chromatus AoE to kill a few of them in one.

I saw the cheese method of using the Chromatus transformation and just dashing back and forth with the left-right direction arte and basically just keeping them in some sort of stun-lock until they go down. I was trying to take them down one by one. My best
was taking down Rowen and Jude.

Zafir

I saw the cheese method of using the Chromatus transformation and just dashing back and forth with the left-right direction arte and basically just keeping them in some sort of stun-lock until they go down.

That may work better than what I did. I think I just used Hexentia? Can't remember the exact name of the attack.

RangerBAD

That may work better than what I did. I think I just used Hexentia? Can't remember the exact name of the attack.

I didn't work as well as the videos I watched, but doing that combined with Reverse Dolls got me through it. I finished up the chapter.

Soriku

It seems a lot of people had trouble with the chapter 12 boss on Hard. I managed to beat him without too much trouble on my second try after eating the food that increases your attack and defense by 25% (Fruit Yakisoba I think). That and I had the latest equipment for my characters and was well leveled by beating the Giganto monsters I could (not hard to do) before doing the chapter. Didn't do any grinding otherwise though.

I'm guessing people rushed or something? Or didn't try to use Power Charge 3? Or auto item? I can see why this boss can be an annoyance since he's
literally Ludger on steroids
, and attacks ridiculously fast, but he wasn't too bad...

There were three rather hard bosses in this game (Ivar when he gives you the guns, Volt, and Chronos 1), but besides those I've found the game easy.

It seems a lot of people had trouble with the chapter 12 boss on Hard. I managed to beat him without too much trouble on my second try after eating the food that increases your attack and defense by 25% (Fruit Yakisoba I think). That and I had the latest equipment for my characters and was well leveled by beating the Giganto monsters I could (not hard to do) before doing the chapter. Didn't do any grinding otherwise though.

I'm guessing people rushed or something? Or didn't try to use Power Charge 3? Or auto item? I can see why this boss can be annoyance since he's
literally Ludger on steroids
, and attacks ridiculously fast, but he wasn't too bad...

There were three rather hard bosses in this game (Ivar when he gives you the guns, Volt, and Chronos 1), but besides those I've found the game easy.

Major Chapter 12 Spoilers below.

Easy guide to beating the Chapter 12 boss (hehe)

I need to get around to finishing this, but before I do, I know there are multiple endings, is there any way to miss out on an ending so I'd have to replay the whole game, or can I get one and progress to the next?

I know it's lazy to ask, but can anyone tell me the general consensus of this game. Is it better than the first or about the same? I kinda want to know if it's really worth playing since I'm a little burned out on tales and wanna be good for zestria.

Datschge

I'm a little burned out on tales

Burned out on Tales in general or on Xillia 1 specifically? If the latter avoid Xillia 2 then, if the former then it depends on whether improved battle design, revisiting the characters and dramatic stories can help you overlook the excessive recycling of all Xillia 1 assets.

RangerBAD

So I got the
Normal Ending and trying to go back to get the True Ending and the final dungeon is a giant piece of shit and frustrating as hell.

Zafir

So I got the
Normal Ending and trying to go back to get the True Ending and the final dungeon is a giant piece of shit and frustrating as hell.
But, after loading the clear save you're put after the maze? Why do you even need to go through it again?

Falk

that puzzling face
I figured out eventually the best way to win is to really abuse the guns. Before then I was fighting him regularly and kept dying. His teleport attack is hax.

I mean they clearly set up all the Ivar battles as tutorials.

"Hey you now have guns. You can switch to them. It even starts off a power combo" - ditto for hammer and stunlocking him, etc.

RangerBAD

But, after loading the clear save you're put after the maze? Why do you even need to go through it again?

Oh, I underestimated the dungeon and went back for Life Bottles. lol I thought I would get through it fairly quickly and that's not what happened.

Thorgal

Is it better to keep using extractor in Alium orbs till everything on it has been learned and upgraded or should they be switched around more often ?

demidar

Is it better to keep using extractor in Alium orbs till everything on it has been learned and upgraded or should they be switched around more often ?

Switch them around because each successive thing to learn on an elemental track takes exponentially more elemental ore. You'd be starving yourself of skill and artes on other tracks otherwise.

Cess007

Just finished the game right now and i got
the true ending
. So here's my thoughts about it:
OMFZ! I can't stop the tears!! I was kinda spoiled about the ending, but still i got me. On top of that, i just couldn't believe that Milla and Muze were also gone! ;_; what's going on!?! Namco, why are you doing this to my heart?!?!

To be honest, i never quite connected with Prime Milla as i did with Fractured Milla, but still seeing her gone took my completely by surprise (Even tho, she mention it a lot of times, i believed she will stays thanks to some reason), and the last touch of Muze to Gaius was a nice touch. The fights themself were really hard and it was kinda disappointed by it, i expected a way harder battle from Chronos.

Anyway, seeing a grown-up Elle at least was wonderful even tho i wish they've showed up everyone (is Rowen still alive!?).

All in all, the game has several flaws, but the story really got me and the battle system still was fun. Can't wait for Zestiria :)

Soriku

The bad ending fight on Hard was tough until I remembered Reverse Dolls were a thing. I had 11 stocked up + the Hallowed Doll. The Chromatus is crucial for dealing damage. The fight scene before the battle was cool.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Guys someone please explain to me exactly how the extractor/art system works ..

the in-game tutorial is bollocks.

Soriku

Any explanation of it is needlessly complicated. Just equip an extractor that has a good amount of new stuff you'll learn (I'd put new artes as the priority, then skills, then arte upgrades) and you should be fine. Check it every now and then to make sure you're not only learning like one or two things with your extractor. Just equip another one then.

RalchAC

There are 6 elements. You get stones. You equip the stones that look that will give your character more points.

If you get new and better stones equip them. Change to a different element after a few hours, continue playing, repeat.

If you want a certain arte look for a guide

Soriku

Beat the game and got the normal ending. It was...brief, so not much to say. I'll get the true ending tomorrow. The bad ending was great though lol.

I left to go do the Bonus Chapter, and I'm wondering if that adds extra scenes to the true ending.

Also there are a lot of EX elite monsters now to fight, the EX dungeon, the coliseum, and the remaining red sidequests...gonna be busy for a while. I've clocked in 80 hours so far.

Game came in while I was on vacation.

Was home sick yesterday though and played about 12 hours straight. On Chapter 11 now, I think.

I have to say, really mixed feelings about this game. I think that if I didn't play the first one, I would like this one a lot more. Not thrilled with all the double/triple exploration that this game requires. Although, if I didn't play the first, the characterization in this game would probably not be nearly acceptable. Speaking of, the limited access to characters in each chapter is really annoying. I feel like I shouldn't bother getting comfortable playing as anyone besides Ludger until endgame, even though I loved maining Elize in the first game.

That out of the way, really loving the rest of the game. I like Ludger's ability to change between weapons (except I really hate the pistols). I like how partner characters seem to prefer a certain weapon for linked skills and find myself switching partners much more often during battle. I like the crafting system more than the shop system. Even the debt has stopped annoying me. Spent about two hours cashing in at poker yesterday so that was fun. I like that costumes carry over. I like that I paid attention to how to do mystic artes this time around (literally never did a single one in Xillia). The character chapters are awesome. I love that Leia is off doing her own thing and her chapters, so far, have nothing to do with
Jude

As annoyed as I am at re-exploring the world twice in this game, I am begrudgingly having a lot of fun with this game. Hope Zestiria keeps the good.

Soriku

Got the true ending. It's better than the normal ending, but I was disappointed that it didn't show the characters for a last time
after the time skip, except briefly in an article on Elle's GHS
. I suppose it's not hard to guess what they're doing, but...

Say what you will about Graces F, but the F arc (not so much the main arc) had great finality to its ending that I feel was kinda missing from both Xillia games. Oh well.

Top Bottom