• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
That first angelic skin concept is honestly pretty dope.

Too bad it's still Thanatos.
iblLWytOFc5CqL.png

Dude needs a skin that has him decaying and then finally turning to dust to represent how much he falls off.

lmao

Well the Smite gods punished me for bragging about my AMC games yesterday. LOL, oh man did I have an awful series of games after that. My next 3 matches I went 2-8, 1-13, and 0-5.

That 1-13 match was just a horrible experience all around. First, one of my teammates disconnected within the first 30 seconds and never returned. So it's 4v5 and the enemy team has Scylla, Herc, Athena, Poseidon, and Fenrir. Even with Beads I couldn't deal with all that CC, and poor AMC as no escape so I just got torn to pieces again and again and again. The other team played really well; we probably would have lost even with our missing teammate. Our only CC came from Sobek, and that was unreliable. We had no stuns. It was just a nightmare match up.

Liberty4all

Banned
Hunters are going to be super deadly with those new bow items:

New Item: Ichaival

+30% Attack Speed. Passive: Every successful basic attack increases your Physical Power by 10, and reduces your target's Physical Power by 10 for 3s. Max 3 Stacks. Cost: 1650.
This is a new Tier 3 item in the Short Bow tree, building off of Hunter’s Bow.

Xyber

Sylvanus is pretty damn great as a support/tank. Can't really do much to improve his shitty damage, but him together with Poseidon is incredibly annoying. Pull and root, Poseidon throws up whirlwind and then ult.

The heal also gets pretty good late game when cooldown is maxed.

I've done 2 games with him so far, but I like him. You need teamwork for him to be good though since his damage is so low.

Aaron

I tried the new guy in siege, and got saddled with the worst team I've had yet. Just a pack of suicidal players, diving after three enemies, and surprised that they died. The Janus bitched I didn't heal him near the end when he dove the entire opposing team alone. What's going to heal that? Not even Aphrodite can save you from that stupidity.

He's a super tank, but not even damage items can help him. He hits way too weak.

Liberty4all

Banned
Is the patch already out? Ugh working late tonight.

Also are the skins Odyssey items or are they regular items (available through treasure chests).

Xyber

I tried the new guy in siege, and got saddled with the worst team I've had yet. Just a pack of suicidal players, diving after three enemies, and surprised that they died. The Janus bitched I didn't heal him near the end when he dove the entire opposing team alone. What's going to heal that? Not even Aphrodite can save you from that stupidity.

He's a super tank, but not even damage items can help him. He hits way too weak.

A slight buff to his normal attack is probably needed, even late game it takes some time to just grab a buff on your own. But he shouldn't be much stronger, he really is a support and shines when teamed up with another good player. He is not meant to do any meaningful damage, it's all about that pull, root and ult to setup easy kills.

You can keep someone from running away so easy. Start with a root that have 12 seconds CD. They stay rooted for 2 seconds, then you can pull them and stun for 1 second. If necessary use the ult to keep them in place a bit longer. Without CD reduction you next root is maybe 6 seconds away, with maxed reduction you should be able to root them again very shortly.

That is just an insane amount of CC for just one guy. Combine this with something like the Poseidon whirlwind that cripples and it's almost impossible to get away from.

gogosox82

So been trying out Serqet and she is really fun. I will definitely play her a lot more now that I have a better idea of how to build and play her now. I do have a question though. On her ult, it says that her ult does true damage. What is true damage? I know ult prevents healing for 5 seconds so does it have something to do with that?

Also any tips on builds would be good. I'm willing to try out different ideas and see if they work. I've been going War tab, Jotunns, Titans bane, Hydra's Lament, Rage (or Malice), and Deathbringer. I don't build any defense mostly because I really only play arena and if I get focused in Arena, I'm basically dead no matter what defense items I have.

Played against the new god tonight and man is that new passive annoying as hell. Can you beads out of that? I assume that you can but every time he rooted me, my beads were on cd so I got to test it. I like what I see from him so I'm probably gonna try him out since the only tank I play is Athena. I will say that he doesn't seem to do that much damage late game. I barely noticed the enemy Sylvanus (outside of the ult of course) but that may be because we were up and that he's new and people are still figuring out how to play/build him.

Semblance

So been trying out Serqet and she is really fun. I will definitely play her a lot more now that I have a better idea of how to build and play her now. I do have a question though. On her ult, it says that her ult does true damage. What is true damage? I know ult prevents healing for 5 seconds so does it have something to do with that?

Also any tips on builds would be good. I'm willing to try out different ideas and see if they work. I've been going War tab, Jotunns, Titans bane, Hydra's Lament, Rage (or Malice), and Deathbringer. I don't build any defense mostly because I really only play arena and if I get focused in Arena, I'm basically dead no matter what defense items I have.

For Serqet try Warrior's Tabi, Jotunn's, Rage, Deathbringer, Titan's Bane, Magi's Blessing. It's her most reliable build, I think. Don't be afraid to get Magi's earlier if you're up against a CC heavy team either, sometimes beads just aren't enough.

Valygar

I played against Sylvanus on assault. He's so OP there it isn't fun, so much mana regen and healing in a circle... Nuts.

I hope they Nerf the flower so u can destroy it with spells. If he puts a flower in his tower you can't do shit about it.

I played against Sylvanus on assault. He's so OP there it isn't fun, so much mana regen and healing in a circle... Nuts.

I hope they Nerf the flower so u can destroy it with spells. If he puts a flower in his tower you can't do shit about it.

Ugh, I didn't think about Sylvanus in Assault, but you are right AoE mana regen and strong AoE heal. Ideal of Assault.

Aaron

Ugh, I didn't think about Sylvanus in Assault, but you are right AoE mana regen and strong AoE heal. Ideal of Assault.
Of course the game I just played a guy got him and immediately re-rolled. We still won anyway, but it would have been such an easy match otherwise.

I hope they don't tweak Sylvanus too much. He's good but he isn't that scary. He does shit damage and his pull is sooo slow. I think he's pretty balanced. Those of us around when Guan Yu, Fenrir, and Loki (when his 3 did true damage LOL) were new remember what a real OP god is.

I mastered Ah Muzen Cab, and I'm glad I did, because I'm pretty much done with him for now. He has 2 great nukes and an insane attack speed buff from the hives, but not having an escape is just murder. One stun and I'm usually dead in Arena. And at level 30 everyone is really good acout destroying his hives. It's just too frustrating.

Xyber

I hope they don't tweak Sylvanus too much. He's good but he isn't that scary. He does shit damage and his pull is sooo slow. I think he's pretty balanced. Those of us around when Guan Yu, Fenrir, and Loki (when his 3 did true damage LOL) were new remember what a real OP god is.

Yeah, he is pretty well balanced as he is right now. He got good CC, but it's also not that hard to avoid it and damage wise you don't really have to worry about him.

But you need to make sure he doesn't get too tanky, because late game it can get pretty hard to kill him when he almost have a 100% uptime on the heal with maxed CD reduction. Combine that with a lot of protection and he's not something you can kill very easy.

I hope they don't tweak Sylvanus too much. He's good but he isn't that scary. He does shit damage and his pull is sooo slow.

The scary thing isn't his damage, but how hard makes killing his team with him healing. It heals almost as much as Ra but it also gives extra protections and they don't have to stay in a circle, but are free to move and fight while the buff is applied for 5 seconds. edit: and the cooldown is 4 secs less and it costs 25 less mana. Best ability in the game.

Dev talk Thursday and patch notes Friday @ 4PM EDT

I logged in this morning to play a couple Arena matches before work, and I saw that they have a sale where gods cost 100 gems instead of the usual 200. I had saved up 500 gems from the gem reward week and from doing the free gem rewards surveys, so I was able to purchase 5 gods today! Thank god I saw that because the sale ends today. I bought Sylvanus, Hercules, Mercury, Hades, and Neith. With that, I now own every god I've wanted. The only ones left that I even have a little interest in are Janus, Bacchus, and Sun Wukong, and maybe Tyr. I have barely seen anyone play Tyr since he got hit with the nerf hammer, so I'm guessing he isn't nearly as good as he used to be.

I played Sylvanus for the first time this morning, and he is way harder to play than I expected. First of all it was an incredible match, their Vulcan did 55k damage and their whole team was so good at chaining CC and focusing. I built almost pure tank and they still kicked the shit out of me; I gave up first blood very quickly. I was having so much trouble landing my pull (it is soooooooooo slow and thin) until I saw the enemy Sylvanus use his 1 to root me and then he pulled me. Brilliant. So it got easier after I learned that trick. He also built Telkhines Ring which I really want to try, because Sylvanus' auto attacks are so weak. We were losing the entire time until the last ~45 seconds when our Zeus and Hun Batz went beast mode and stole the victory right from the other teams' noses. So satisfying. We won 6 - 0. I take absolutely no credit for our victory, I played like total ass. Sylvanus is gonna take some getting used to. How do you guys build him?

Aaron

Tyr is a decent tank, but his damage has fallen off to the point there are better choices. Bacchus is good for arena matches and team fights, and Janus can be powerful, but he's tricky to master. Sun Wukong is pretty boring in my opinion. When I played Sylvanus, I built into tankiness and didn't worry about the damage. I was just trying to push the enemy back, and set up opportunities for other gods to kill, though I've only played him a few times so far.

Xyber

Dev talk Thursday and patch notes Friday @ 4PM EDT

I logged in this morning to play a couple Arena matches before work, and I saw that they have a sale where gods cost 100 gems instead of the usual 200. I had saved up 500 gems from the gem reward week and from doing the free gem rewards surveys, so I was able to purchase 5 gods today! Thank god I saw that because the sale ends today. I bought Sylvanus, Hercules, Mercury, Hades, and Neith. With that, I now own every god I've wanted. The only ones left that I even have a little interest in are Janus, Bacchus, and Sun Wukong, and maybe Tyr. I have barely seen anyone play Tyr since he got hit with the nerf hammer, so I'm guessing he isn't nearly as good as he used to be.

I played Sylvanus for the first time this morning, and he is way harder to play than I expected. First of all it was an incredible match, their Vulcan did 55k damage and their whole team was so good at chaining CC and focusing. I built almost pure tank and they still kicked the shit out of me; I gave up first blood very quickly. I was having so much trouble landing my pull (it is soooooooooo slow and thin) until I saw the enemy Sylvanus use his 1 to root me and then he pulled me. Brilliant. So it got easier after I learned that trick. He also built Telkhines Ring which I really want to try, because Sylvanus' auto attacks are so weak. We were losing the entire time until the last ~45 seconds when our Zeus and Hun Batz went beast mode and stole the victory right from the other teams' noses. So satisfying. We won 6 - 0. I take absolutely no credit for our victory, I played like total ass. Sylvanus is gonna take some getting used to. How do you guys build him?

As for Tyr, he can still be really good. I've had some games recently where he has just dominated and wasn't much you could do about it.

When I play Sylvanus I go mostly tank with Rod of Asclepius for the extra heal and then I get a Telkhines ring if I don't need more protection. Max out cooldown reduction too. I don't really focus on doing damage with him as much as I root, pull and heal as much as possible to make it easier for my friends to get kills.

gogosox82

This there something going in smite today? I was just playing and I lagged the entire match. I'd hit someone and it wouldn't register and then I'd get killed and someone else would get the kill. I swear I should've had like 15 kills. At one point, I completely lag out of the match and I have to log back in and half the enemy screen has d/c'ed (they were pretty far ahead so I doubt they'd rage quit). A few minutes later a message comes on and says something about they are taking the servers into safe mode because of some event. Does anyone know what this is? Is it the esports stuff or something else?

Goes through protections.

Bakasura's steroid also does this.

I see. Thanks

For Serqet try Warrior's Tabi, Jotunn's, Rage, Deathbringer, Titan's Bane, Magi's Blessing. It's her most reliable build, I think. Don't be afraid to get Magi's earlier if you're up against a CC heavy team either, sometimes beads just aren't enough.

Thanks, I'll try it out and see how it works.

Xyber

Tried new Odin for the first time today. 7 games, 7 wins.

In 3v3 with the damage buff at the start you can almost kill someone in 1 hit when you activate the shield and jump on them. Crazy burst damage.

Me and 2 friends played Odin, Kukulkan and Sylvanus all 7 games, we won by surrender in about 10 minutes in like 5 out of those 7 games.

Sylvanus roots and pulls someone, I shield up and jump on him and Kukulkan uses ult or whirlwind. As long as it isn't someone tanky, that person is usually very dead after that. :p

Tyr is a decent tank, but his damage has fallen off to the point there are better choices. Bacchus is good for arena matches and team fights, and Janus can be powerful, but he's tricky to master. Sun Wukong is pretty boring in my opinion. When I played Sylvanus, I built into tankiness and didn't worry about the damage. I was just trying to push the enemy back, and set up opportunities for other gods to kill, though I've only played him a few times so far.

As for Tyr, he can still be really good. I've had some games recently where he has just dominated and wasn't much you could do about it.

When I play Sylvanus I go mostly tank with Rod of Asclepius for the extra heal and then I get a Telkhines ring if I don't need more protection. Max out cooldown reduction too. I don't really focus on doing damage with him as much as I root, pull and heal as much as possible to make it easier for my friends to get kills.

Sun Wukong was great before the heavy hammer nerf as a support.

Probably not so much now.

Thanks for the info guys. I also made a thread on r/Smite asking for some build advice and got some good responses. I haven't gotten to play since yesterday morning but I'll play around with some different Sylvanus builds and report back to you.

Semblance

Man, I liked little hunchback Baka. Not feeling this Mortal Kombat knockoff. He doesn't even spit up mini Bakas when he ults anymore, they're just recolored minions. :|

Man, I liked little hunchback Baka. Not feeling this Mortal Kombat knockoff. He doesn't even spit up mini Bakas when he ults anymore, they're just recolored minions. :|
If you look closer, they're actually covered in abyss goo. It's pretty awesome and make more sense actually. Minions get pulled in to the void and get spat out covered in it.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Thought I would chime in on the Sylvanus commentary, if you like playing him enjoy him now he is ridiculously OP. Odin can shut him down early if you stay on top of him but outside of limiting him early and making him play from behind he is an absolute monster. People are building him a mix of tank and mage at higher level play and he is pretty much unstoppable.

High damage dot, hot, knock up with another dot, pull, root, heal, mana regen, passive root for escaping and a ranged aoe aa on a guardian. Super bloated kit.

Best build I have seen for him so far was Shoes Focus/Voidstone/sovereignty/Chronopendant/StoneofGaia/Urchinhide guy actually did really big damage and you just could not kill him.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Thought I would chime in on the Sylvanus commentary, if you like playing him enjoy him now he is ridiculously OP. Odin can shut him down early if you stay on top of him but outside of limiting him early and making him play from behind he is an absolute monster. People are building him a mix of tank and mage at higher level play and he is pretty much unstoppable.

High damage dot, hot, knock up with another dot, pull, root, heal, mana regen, passive root for escaping and a ranged aoe aa on a guardian. Super bloated kit.

Best build I have seen for him so far was Shoes Focus/Voidstone/sovereignty/Chronopendant/StoneofGaia/Urchinhide guy actually did really big damage and you just could not kill him.

Saw this nerf coming a mile away.

Semblance

I'm actually shocked they nerfed Apollo. He's been a little sketch for so long now, it's like Hi-Rez only just realized something was up with him.

Zhong Kui skin is funny, dunno why they gave Osiris two skins. All eight of his fans are probably pleased though.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
I knew they would give AO a human body I am not impressed.

on the plus side his ult sounds cool
Ao Kuang selects a single target in melee range and grabs them, dealing damage and knocking them up into the air. If the target is under a health threshold, Ao Kuang will reveal his true form, becoming a Dragon and executing them.\n\nAfter transforming Ao Kuang remains in the air, and may then pick a new location to land, consuming any remaining Energy Charges and dealing damage.

all of his kit
Passive:

Ao Kuang's sword can hold up to 4 Energy Charges. Ao Kuang regenerates a Charge every 5s out of combat. Energy Charges may be used to augment Ao Kuang's abilities. If Ao Kuang is out of mana, 2 charges may be used to cast any ability.

1st: Water Illusion

Ao Kuang teleports forward into stealth, leaving behind a watery form of himself. He remains in stealth for 5s or until he attacks or takes damage.Ao Kuang may activate this ability again using 1 Energy Charge from his sword to detonate the watery form, dealing damage to nearby enemies.

Range / Radius:30/20

DMG:90,140,190,240,290+70%

cooldown:15

cost:70

2nd:Dragon Call

Ao Kuang summons 6 dragons to his side. For every successful basic attack Ao Kuang makes, a dragon will dive to the target dealing additional damage. This ability ends after all dragons are used, or after 10s.Ao Kuang may activate this ability again before it expires, using 1 Energy Charge, to send forward any remaining dragons in a ranged attack. The dragons damage and slow the first enemy they hit. Range:55

Attack Damage:40,60,80,100,120+30% per hit

Remaining Dragon Damage:20,30,40,50,60+25% per Remaining Dragon

Slow:30%for 1s + 0.25s per remaining Dragon

cd:15,14,13,12,11

cost:60,65,70,75,80

3rd:Wild Storm

there are two versions

Ao Kuang's unleashes lighting bolts in a cone in front of, each having a chance to critical hit, increasing by 1% for every 2% of an enemies missing health. Each successful hit also restored Energy to Ao Kuang's Sword.

or

Ao Kuang unleashes a storm of lightning from his sword, damaging all enemies and recovering an Energy Charge to his sword for each enemy hit. This hit is considered a basic attack, and will activate item effects. Range:30

Damage:90,140,190,240,290+50%

cd:5

cost:60,65,70,75,80

Ult:

Ao Kuang selects a single target in melee range and grabs them, dealing damage and knocking them up into the air. If the target is under a health threshold, Ao Kuang will reveal his true form, becoming a Dragon and executing them.\n\nAfter transforming Ao Kuang remains in the air, and may then pick a new location to land, consuming any remaining Energy Charges and dealing damage.

instant damage:90,140,190,240,290+50%

Execute Threshold:23,26,29,32,35%

Landing Damage30,60,90,120,150+30% of your magical power per Charge

I have no idea why Hi-Rez marked Hades as "very easy." It is actually really difficult to do well with him. You have to really pay attention to your opponents and make sure their leaps/dashes are on CD if you want to hit anyone with your ult. And even then, you have to make sure you're either tanky enough or you have enough backup to avoid just having the enemy gods turn around and beat you to death while you're ulting. Hades is just kind of in a weird position — if he is built too tanky he does shit damage, and if he is built pure damage he gets killed way too easily. I build him as a magical warrior, and I generally only pick him if there's another guardian/warrior on my team.

That said, this morning I had the most satisfying kill ever. It was a super competitive Arena match against a great team, and it came down to the wire with a score of 4-4. Both teams were scared to initiate, even though the other team was generally getting the better of us during teamfights. I was 0-10 as Hades, so I wasn't that confident in my ability to stay alive. But then their Ares blink + ulted us, we used beads to escape and Nu Wa ulted, I saw it took a big chunk of the enemy Merc's HP so I decided to go for it and I used my 1 + 2 + ult combo on him and got the game winning kill.

feelsgood.jpg

Aaron

Yeah, my own experience with Hades is very mixed, though I think he's useless against a decent team that's prepared for his ult. I think he was very easy before he got nerfed, and they haven't bothered changing that.

My friend and I play League of Legends all the time, and he just pointed this game out to me. How polished does it feel? I'm not in the mood to jump into something that still feels like a beta. But I won't lie---it does look intriguing.

Top Bottom