• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames Community Thread | Platinum maintains its luster forever

Best Platinum boss fight?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ushiwaka

Also about Vanquish 2, on one hand I agree that thank god we have the first game to play (though a PC version would have been nice, do you hear me Sega?) it's hard to not get sad thinking the potential for a Vanquish sequel. Reading here on gaf from JP that Platinum already has some ideas for a sequel makes this even more depressing. :(

Well, there's this petition going on about bringing Vanquish and other SEGA games (including Bayo, VF5, etc.) to PC and I think SEGA has been paying attention to it :) If the port happens and if it sells good, SEGA may show interest in these IPs again and we may see a Vanquish sequel someday (there are so many "If"s here, but one can only hope, right?)

And Kellams said they have ideas for a sequel? I didn't know that! Could you give me a link please?

Nemmy

Well, there's this petition going on about bringing Vanquish and other SEGA games (including Bayo, VF5, etc.) to PC and I think SEGA has been paying attention to it :) If the port happens and if it sells good, SEGA may show interest in these IPs again and we may see a Vanquish sequel someday (there are so many "If"s here, but one can only hope, right?)

And Kellams said they have ideas for a sequel? I didn't know that! Could you give me a link please?

Eh, I remember signing this months ago, but I see any momentum the petition might have had is (predictably) lost now. I really wish those ports got made, even if they were to be as barebones as PC MGRR.
Vanquish at a stable 60fps and 1080p would be absolutely legendary.

Do we have any data on how MGRR performed on PC sales-wise? I guess that's also a number I'd be keeping an eye on, if I were a Sega executive (lol, right). I remember it being quite high on Steam bestsellers list around release.

Ushiwaka

Eh, I remember signing this months ago, but I see any momentum the petition might have had is (predictably) lost now. I really wish those ports got made, even if they were to be as barebones as PC MGRR.
Vanquish at a stable 60fps and 1080p would be absolutely legendary.

Do we have any data on how MGRR performed on PC sales-wise? I guess that's also a number I'd be keeping an eye on, if I were a Sega executive (lol, right). I remember it being quite high on Steam bestsellers list around release.

It just needs another push. I still BELIEVE :D

Hmm... No I couldn't find anything, but I don't think Konami was unhappy with the sales.

Feindflug

Sadly I don't have the link but he talked about it at a LTTP thread about Vanquish.

In case you missed it, the DF article for Bayo 1 is out.
In a few words, the WiiU port is the definite version.

As expected. :)

Lernaean

Banned
The Edge review thread for Bayonetta 2 barely reached a handfull of pages. The DF thread abou the superior Bayonetta 1 port has reached 8 pages and is mostly dead.
The Bayonetta 2 sales thread, speaking only for the first weekend of sales in Japan is reaching 40 pages, any sales talk is long gone and now is an endless circlejerk of how despite all logic and quotes by PG staff like Kamiya himself, the game must and will eventually release to X1 and PS4.
Console wars in their most disgusting form. At least the console wars of Sega vs Nintendo back in the day followed some etiquette.

I only hope that all my tweets to Gio Corsi can be heard and the Vanquish 2 gets picked up by Sony, since the only way that game's getting made is with the help of a first party.

Nemmy

The Edge review thread for Bayonetta 2 barely reached a handfull of pages. The DF thread abou the superior Bayonetta 1 port has reached 8 pages and is mostly dead.
The Bayonetta 2 sales thread, speaking only for the first weekend of sales in Japan is reaching 40 pages, any sales talk is long gone and now is an endless circlejerk of how despite all logic and quotes by PG staff like Kamiya himself, the game must and will eventually release to X1 and PS4.
Console wars in their most disgusting form. At least the console wars of Sega vs Nintendo back in the day followed some etiquette.

I'm not even reading that shit. Went through the first couple pages, shrugged, left. Regarding sales, I'll do my part, so there's that one more unit sold.
No point in getting pissed again....

though it kinda baffles me that bitching about Nintendo exclusives being, you know, exclusive to Nintendo is not a bannable offense

Lernaean

Banned
I'm not even reading that shit. Went through the first couple pages, shrugged, left. Regarding sales, I'll do my part, so there's that one more unit sold.
No point in getting pissed again....

though it kinda baffles me that bitching about Nintendo exclusives being, you know, exclusive to Nintendo is not a bannable offense

Baffles me too. It is a bannable offense for the other two platforms.

Keasar

Decided to check out that Bayonetta 2 sales thread:

zz12VoV.png

Jesus....

Still remain hyped anyway, gonna order my Wii U at the same time I order the game.

Lernaean

Banned
Decided to check out that Bayonetta 2 sales thread:

Jesus....

Still remain hyped anyway, gonna order my Wii U at the same time I order the game.

Those 39k you know are double those that people in GAF speculated for first week, and they were for 2 days of sales.
It actually is gonna be a lot more than expected.
We are talking about PG may i remind you. It a niche of a niche.
The sales thread is so popular because it's a nice place to shitpost.

Nemmy

It's Bayonetta we're talking about, after all. And as much as it pains me to say this, it was obvious moving to the WiiU will impact sales negatively. Not everyone is as crazy as some of us here to decide console purchases primarily for PG games.
And actually, I always thought the original Bayonetta's sales were pretty high - a third of DMC4's, if memory serves? - for a new IP, "new" dev and its niche genre.

I'm more shocked by how badly Wonderful 101 sold, actually. 6k units, holy shit.

Tenki

Well, 39k sales on Wii U > 0 sales due to the game not existing at all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll get the Bayo 1+2 pack (I missed the First Print :( ), play it and enjoy it. I'm happy I can play a sequel.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Being a Platinum fan means reorienting one's perspective at the end of the day.

I guess I look at it as someone from earlier eras of gaming when 250k sales over the lifetime of a game was great. That meant several stadiums full of people were playing your game.

Games above a certain scope are much more expensive to make today of course. So bigger sales are required to break even. Still, despite Platinum themselves hoping games like Bayonetta 1 had done better, they seem to be an efficient operation.

Keasar

Those 39k you know are double those that people in GAF speculated for first week, and they were for 2 days of sales.
It actually is gonna be a lot more than expected.
We are talking about PG may i remind you. It a niche of a niche.
The sales thread is so popular because it's a nice place to shitpost.

The sales are alright, I'm just grieving the rest of the entire thread.

Lernaean

Banned
Like hooligans. They don't give a shit about the sport itself. They are there to make noise in the name of their team.

I am disgusted and i mean it.

Ushiwaka

I seriously don't know why you read these threads when you know you're gonna be pissed. As soon as you find out these threads are going downhill, stop reading them, and you won't be pissed.

I stopped caring about Platinum's sales after Kellams' "rant". I mean, I still want their games to sell more and all, but if Platinum wants us to leave worrying about sales to them, so be it. We all play games because we enjoy them and we also want our favorite game developers to be OK and give us good games so we can enjoy them. But hey, if they don't want us to care about their well being, ok, whatever. I hope they make good business decisions, stay around forever and give us awesome games. :)

Lernaean

Banned
I seriously don't know why you read these threads when you know you're gonna be pissed. As soon as you find out these threads are going downhill, stop reading them, and you won't be pissed.

I stopped caring about Platinum's sales after Kellams' "rant". I mean, I still want their games to sell more and all, but if Platinum wants us to leave worrying about sales to them, so be it. We all play games because we enjoy them and we also want our favorite game developers to be OK and give us good games so we can enjoy them. But hey, if they don't want us to care about their well being, ok, whatever. I hope they make good business decisions, stay around forever and give us awesome games. :)

I agree that i should avoid threads like this. I had even promised myself i'd do so.
Thing is, the brand loyalists, in their rush to shit on Nintendo, talk total bullshit about PG. And especially when i see users that never gave a fuck about PG playing all concerned now, my head boils.
But yea, you are right. I'm addicted and i should quit it :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Something I have learned by watching people on the internet - many people are only interested in having something to be right about. In the context of games and sales talk, while there is nothing inherently wrong with discussing industry economics, sales data provides people with things they can take as incontrovertible facts. And use as ammunition in whatever personal quest it is they have to win something.

At this point I think it's all starting to become a big distraction. It encourages people to obsess over various forms of validation in the medium rather than cultivate an appreciation of the medium for its own sake.

I'm going to replay Bayonetta 1 first and use the Samus costume the whole way through. I hope it's unlocked from the start. Then the Fox costume in Bayonetta 2.

Coda

I like being the guy who rolls to Gamestop for Bayonetta 2 when no one else is there. I'm not saying it will do bad but it's definitely not gonna move too many consoles. And quite frankly this is the game I've been waiting for. I know I'm not alone. I've already taken the day off from work.

May be going on a limb here but gamers who play/master Bayonetta games are the most competent/cool gamers. Action games that blend skillful combat that's as rewarding and engaging as it challenges. I only know a couple other people personally who share my enthusiasm for the genre.

Mechazawa

I stopped caring about Platinum's sales when all of Platinum's games bombed. They put something out, it sells poorly, they mysteriously manage to find loads of work regardless. It's the beautiful circle of life.

Nemmy

I like being the guy who rolls to Gamestop for Bayonetta 2 when no one else is there. I'm not saying it will do bad but it's definitely not gonna move too many consoles. And quite frankly this is the game I've been waiting for. I know I'm not alone. I've already taken the day off from work.

May be going on a limb here but gamers who play/master Bayonetta games are the most competent/cool gamers. Action games that blend skillful combat that's as rewarding and engaging as it challenges. I only know a couple other people personally who share my enthusiasm for the genre.

I can see this being a popular opinion around here, lol.

But yeah, in real life I only know like two people who appreciate the genre somehow, one of whom actually converted under my influence :p Most of my friends are in the "mindlessly mashing buttons, wow this game is frustratingly hard" camp, unfortunately.

Freakmonkey

Neo Member

But yeah, in real life I only know like two people who appreciate the genre somehow, one of whom actually converted under my influence :p Most of my friends are in the "mindlessly mashing buttons, wow this game is frustratingly hard" camp, unfortunately.

I know the feeling. Only until very recently did I meet people who were into the whole platinum/action genre for realsies. Everyone else I knew who played the games just liked the crazy nature of their games and not really the combat systems. I remember back when bayo 1 came out and my friends were shocked that I beat hard mode and I'm thinking "that's nothing. I'm still crap at this game."

antibolo

Banned
Platinum's poor sales figures are the reason why their games are among the very rare exceptions where I buy a game at launch instead of waiting for a price drop.

Gotta support the shit out of them, because when they inevitably die, quality AAA Japanese-developed gaming will pretty much die along with them.

Feindflug

Consider yourself lucky, I have 3 friends in real life that play videogames and none of them are fans of the genre, we're all past our 30's and lately they seem to play only popular blockbuster games and at the same time they discard every game that demands dedication - the funny thing is that as the years pass I'm doing the exact opposite. Every time we hang out together I want to share my excitement/talk about for example TW101 or Volgaar The Viking and all I get is some indifferent "umm...ok" responses when I try to talk about them, instead I know a shitload of things about Destiny & Watch Dogs even though I never touched them. :D

Lernaean

Banned
Consider yourself lucky, I have 3 friends in real life that play videogames and none of them are fans of the genre

Hey! You have me :p
Seriously now, i only know one guy in real life, who plays these games, and two more i met online killing PUGs in Warhammer Online, a few years ago. A Swede and a Brit.
Sucks to be a minority, huh? :D

Feindflug

Hey! You have me :p
Seriously now, i only know one guy in real life, who plays these games, and two more i met online killing PUGs in Warhammer Online, a few years ago. A Swede and a Brit.
Sucks to be a minority, huh? :D

:p

Yeah it sucks but at least we have this thread and to a lesser extent gaf as a whole so we can go "OMFG!" and have someone saying something equally exciting in return, I miss that.

Lernaean

Banned
:p

Yeah it sucks but at least we have this thread and to a lesser extent gaf as a whole so we can go "OMFG!" and have someone saying something equally exciting in return, I miss that.

What's alarming is that this thread has the largest concentration of PG fans I've ever seen in my life.
And let's face it, we ain't that many XD

Coda

It's definitely nice to have people to hype the game with. I've just been playing Hyrule Warriors to pass the time until the 24th.

abadguy

Banned
I stopped caring about Platinum's sales when all of Platinum's games bombed. They put something out, it sells poorly, they mysteriously manage to find loads of work regardless. It's the beautiful circle of life.

It helps when you keep getting publishers to fund your work, so long as they can keep putting out games with minimal risk it's all good!

Coda

Same here.Impa deserves her own character action game though.

Agreed, I knew when I first saw her gameplay footage that I'd be playing as her. I love tossing enemies up with her water ball then slicing them when using the giant blade. The whole animation looks so cool.

Nemmy

Platinum's poor sales figures are the reason why their games are among the very rare exceptions where I buy a game at launch instead of waiting for a price drop.

Gotta support the shit out of them, because when they inevitably die, quality AAA Japanese-developed gaming will pretty much die along with them.

No way :<
I mean, it's always a possibility, but let's not jump to "inevitable" :<

I do the same thing BTW. I almost never preorder or buy games at launch, unless it's Platinum (or, more recently, Tango). I'd also support the shit out of a kickstarter campaign, if they were ever to start one (am I crazy or did someone from PG once say they were considering kickstarter as a possible future source of funding)?

Top Bottom