• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pinball Arcade VS Pinball FX 2

I recently got a craving to play some pinball and am wondering which of the two games is the better deal. I played a tiny bit of Pinball Arcade on Android but the ball seems incredibly floaty to the point that it doesn't feel like playing pinball at all. Are the ball physics the same across all of the tables or is it just arabian nights? Are the ball physics better in Pinball FX 2?

Please respond

On console/PC, The Pinball Arcade is the best for closer-to-real physics and behavior. Zen Pinball 2/Pinball FX2 has the advantage of original tables and more of them, but TPA has classics on its side. Depends on how much you value the real thing.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Pinball Arcade are all real tables, but the actual presentation and polish is very low.

Pinball FX2 are all fake tables, but with fantastic polish and presentation.

As someone who loves pinball, I personally like Pinball FX2 more.

Also, FarSight (Pinball Arcade) is very incompetent when it comes to customer service from my dealings with them and their various Kickstarters.

bigkrev

If you thought the ball physics in TPA were floaty, you're gonna think the table is on the Moon in Zen Pinball

If you thought the ball physics in TPA were floaty, you're gonna think the table is on the Moon in Zen Pinball

I can literally leave the flipper "up" and the ball coming into contact causes it to bounce up halfway across the table. This will never happen on a real machine - I don't even want to think of what Zen Pinball is like.

I actually prefer the bounces in fx2. But the real reason I prefer fx2 is the tables. PA is all about emulation. Fx2 does some cool things that wouldn't be possible on a physical table.

If you are into pinball video games for nostalgia alone, then check out pa.

I should also note that I hate pa's in game store for steam functionality.

Ban Puncher

The Pinball Arcade for legit tables.

Devil Crash for my fantasy videogame-ass pinball needs.

Zen Pinball is some floaty, boring crud.

Wait, is TPA really that bad? Literally just last night I had someone telling me that ball and board physics on it where solid and that it was worth investing in (for the first season). But what Freakinchair is describing here sounds even worse than a lot of random pinball styled video games.

I can literally leave the flipper "up" and the ball coming into contact causes it to bounce up halfway across the table. This will never happen on a real machine - I don't even want to think of what Zen Pinball is like.

You cannot fairly compare what you've played on Android to the Steam/Xbox/PS version as the mobile versions look and play significantly less realistically than their home platform cousins.

You cannot fairly compare what you've played on Android to the Steam/Xbox/PS version as the mobile versions look and play significantly less realistically than their home platform cousins.

That's a bit of a relief then. I'll download the free table when I get home and give PBA another shot on Steam and see if I like it more.

That's a bit of a relief then. I'll download the free table when I get home and give PBA another shot on Steam and see if I like it more.

Keep in mind that the Steam version is the least stable of the home platforms, as it's prone to intermittent stutters/frame drops and crashes semi-often as compared to the relatively rock-solid console versions. As well, the PC version is due for a huge lighting upgrade that the PS4 version currently enjoys and, supposedly, it will get it not too long after the Xbox One version of TPA hits sometime within a month or so. That X1 version is due to have the same lighting engine the PS4 one has. Steam and mobile have the most up-to-date sets of tables, as well and the Steam version has the season discount still while consoles have lost that perk. Steam version also supports tate mode/vertical orientation if you want to rotate your monitor.

I'd have to say Pinball Arcade. The physics aren't perfect, but they feel far less floaty and weird than FX. Plus I love the fact you could walk in to an arcade or bar and potentially play any of the tables on offer in real life.

I guess that's when you realise the physics aren't spot on, but at least you should know what to shoot for.

Ferrio

Banned
Wish Pinball Arcade had brightness settings on PC.... fuck these fully lit rooms. I've never seen a pinball table that brightly lit in my life.

<3 Bride of Pinbot. Never knew of the machine before I played this game.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
If you were ever a pinball fan in real life, Pinball Arcade is the only real answer.

Zen Pinball is like the NBA Jam of pinball.

CamHostage

I'm confused by some of the praise for Pinball FX 2 mixed in with some complaints about Zen Pinball... aren't these essentially the same games now? Same company, same tables (and probably the same or similar architecture since tables usually come out on each in tandem.) It's not like you have a choice since FX2 and Zen Pinball are brands carried on separate platforms, but the studio treats them as if they're the same game and different in just name only. If there is a difference between the two pinball products by Zen Studios, I'd be curious to know.

(The Pinball Arcade by FarSight is a different story obviously.)

If you were ever a pinball fan in real life, Pinball Arcade is the only real answer.

If you are a NOSTALGIC pinball fan in real life, then sure. The Pinball Arcade has real tables from yesteryear, and that's awesome. But if the pinball physics are what matters. The only point of licensing real tables (aside from the sell value) is how real" the table is at simulating the game so that a player's strategies and reflexes work on either as interchangeably as possible. What matters about getting the official layout of Black Knight 2000 is if it plays like Black Knight 2000, otherwise it is not really Black Knight 2000, it's just a tribute. Or a cash-in. (And I'm not saying that it doesn't pull it off, I'm just repeating what some others said, I'm actually not that familiar with TPA right now.)

Zen's pinball games might be "arcadey", but even though it adds in fake elements, the importance of pinball is how the ball plays. Plus, modern pinball games are so full of gimmick features that it's perfectly in keeping with evolution to have monsters and galactic online battles and all that. Two of my favorite 'pinball' games ever are High Speed and Kirby's Pinball Land, and I don't have a problem ranking a ridiculous videogame pinball'ish game alongside the great real tables I've played. Good is good.

NBA Jam of pinball is a good way of describing FX2 without criticizing it, so I'll co sign that.

But both have free tables on PC, so try them both out there (considering the tables they have available) and then make your own mind up!

see5harp

I prefer Pinball FX2/Zen pinball because I just find the game more fun and like the score chase. I understand why some people like Pinball Arcade though.

Pinball Arcade is my favorite but I also like Pinball FX2.
TPA is WAY more realistic but honestly, Pinball FX isn't trying to be realistic so I can play both games and have fun for different reasons.

Keep in mind that the Steam version is the least stable of the home platforms, as it's prone to intermittent stutters/frame drops and crashes semi-often as compared to the relatively rock-solid console versions.

That's strange. I've played 70 hours of Pinball Arcade on Steam and have never had a single problem with crashes, framerate or stutters. Am I just extremely lucky? I actually think it runs way better than when I used to play it on the xbox360 (I realize that is an out of date version now though)

Lettuce

For me its The Pinball Arcade all the way, the tables feel more alive and the ball physics are much better.

Pinball FX tables just feel soulless, hardly anything happens in them. The tables should be going crazy with sound and light effects when an event happens but it never does. On a real table when you activate mulitball mode you know you've done it as the table goes nuts, in Pinball FX there is just a massive lack of feedback from anything you do...basically the tables are too somber

Pinball Arcade are all real tables, but the actual presentation and polish is very low.

Pinball FX2 are all fake tables, but with fantastic polish and presentation.

As someone who loves pinball, I personally like Pinball FX2 more.

Also, FarSight (Pinball Arcade) is very incompetent when it comes to customer service from my dealings with them and their various Kickstarters.

This sums it up perfectly. I wish we could have the best of both worlds..

Pinball Arcade is my favorite but I also like Pinball FX2.
TPA is WAY more realistic but honestly, Pinball FX isn't trying to be realistic so I can play both games and have fun for different reasons.

Same here. They are so different, they are both equally as good but for different reasons.

The nudge function on TPA is completely borked. I love being able to nudge the table hard without tilt but it's completely unrealistic.

I hope they fix it and the lighting too but not holding my breath.

1upmuffin

Pinball Arcade and the Pro Pinball series (Big Race USA in particular) are my favorite pinball video games.

I like Pinball FX as well, but the physics just don't feel as good as Pro Pinball or Pinball Arcade. Also, I think a lot of the tables aren't that exciting.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pinball Arcade on PS4 is the best pinball simulator there is (only that version though). Maybe with Pro Pinball as an exception.

magnetic

I got into TPA first, because at that time I really didn´t like the "fantasy" style tables on Zen Pinball / PFX.

However, Zen Pinball is just much better made AS A GAME. Being able to save progress mid-game on my Vita and being able to use the face buttons for flippers instead of the shitty shoulder buttons like in TPA are two big ones for me.

The Zen tables are also more consistent physics-wise. Yeah, they might not be very realistic, but neither is TPA - and to be honest, I´m having more fun with most Zen tables since the physics are very forgiving and reliable, so I can contentrate on the table itself. On TPA I actually prefer the older and more brutal tables, like Firepower or Flight 2000.

The physics in TPA are simply all over the place. I enjoy them in Attack From Mars, where they feel precise and fast, but on other tables like Cirqus Voltaire the ball just moved like it´s made of styrofoam, not to mention the hungry outlanes that seem to magically suck the ball in. A guy on the Pinball Arcade Fans podcast said that Twilight Zone feels like an entirely different game compared to the TPA rendition, because the real one is much harder and quicker.

Zen simply doesn´t have that problem because it´s meant to be a videogame from beginning to end. They also really got a lot better - the early tables were kinda sucky imho, but Moon Knight, Infinity Gauntlet or Fear Itself are brilliant design and feel pinbally enough to not completely break my immersion.

Oh, and man, the sound effects in TPA are SO WEAK. The flippers sound like pretzels snapping in half, whereas Zen has samples that actually sound like proper coils being banged.

I feel that the good parts about TPA - the table design, my favourites being White Water, Whirlwind, Cactus Canyon, Attack From Mars and Creature From The Black Lagoon - have actually nothing to do with Farsight, since they didn´t design these games. It´s simulating awesome machines in a rather shoddy way.

And I say this as someone who used to really love TPA, but I find it very hard to go back coming from both better GAMES (Zen Pinball) and better simulations (Visual Pinball - which is a nightmare to set up, but once you get Road Show or Addams Family running, it´s so worth it).

To end the rant on a positive note: At least they had the guts to actually make such a product, licensing these machine must take a ton of work and I think it´s great that people can enjoy these pinball designs on such a huge variety of devices. Without TPA, I would probably have never discovered this brilliant genre of games.

I also feel that the team at Farsight are really nice people, giving interviews and having regular contact with people on the forums. My impressions are also mostly coming from the Android version - which has a particularly nasty audio delay bug, where every sound effect gets played a half second to late, which is very confusing and breaks the atmosphere a lot.

Malajax

For me its The Pinball Arcade all the way, the tables feel more alive and the ball physics are much better.

Pinball FX tables just feel soulless, hardly anything happens in them. The tables should be going crazy with sound and light effects when an event happens but it never does. On a real table when you activate mulitball mode you know you've done it as the table goes nuts, in Pinball FX there is just a massive lack of feedback from anything you do...basically the tables are too somber

I'll add that a lot FX tables feel like they were designed for pinball wizards. There are so many rules, special shots and general lack of feedback that make the game feel frustrating.

On the other hand, Pinball arcade tables are actual tables that exist, are mostly simple to pick up and palsy, and really showcases the arcade mentality of pinball.

Pinball arcade all the way.

The nudge function on TPA is completely borked. I love being able to nudge the table hard without tilt but it's completely unrealistic.
Are you talking about Farsight's game or Zen's? Zen lets you nudge once every two or so seconds, but one movement will give you a tilt warning, IME. TPA gives you something far more usable, though, like the physics and speed, it depends on the table how much exactly.

That's strange. I've played 70 hours of Pinball Arcade on Steam and have never had a single problem with crashes, framerate or stutters. Am I just extremely lucky? I actually think it runs way better than when I used to play it on the xbox360 (I realize that is an out of date version now though)
I've had terrible luck, then. On two different OSes (Win7 and 8/8.1) and many times reinstalled, I've had crashes totally exceeding fifty or more times. I wonder if it has to do with something common between the two general hardware configs I've had in that time, but I know I wasn't the only one to have this issue.

CamHostage

Needless side note, but I'd actually love it if Pinball Arcade or Zen/FX2 could team with a manufacturer to make a pinball controller accessory (if not an arcade machine for pinball distribution/home use.) Digital pinball is fun and accurate in as many ways as possible, but they're never going to get tilt right with buttons or even an analog stick and a controller mounted like a driving wheel might help that a bit. Plus, it'd just be fun to have.

Does anybody have a home digital pinball machine? I know I tried one of those digital pinball set-ups at some pinball show and seemed fun, can't recall the manufacturer or the company that did the development? Virtual Pinball Machine is 3 grand, which is hefty but not unreasonable for what they're building (it runs on PinballX / HyperPin.) The makers of the Ultracade had something called Ultrapin that was made to be a real arcade machine (with collectors also in mind) but I'm not sure if it ever actually shipped? And I can't tell if this is homemade or an actual product but there's some bar-table multi-arcade that has pinball flipper buttons on the outside that would be nice to have (although I would prefer to have the monitor widescreen and in tate mode.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8L9IOLuFnk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UKTfgn08dM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mecbbrf51k0

Xtreme Pinball had something called the iFlipper that would work with iPad, but I'm not sure if it ever shipped (and iPad is a little small for the purpose, but it's something.) People have also modified their iCade controllers to have buttons on the sides.

attachment.php
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBp7GthUQM

Post again later with your thoughts on it after playing through them both.

Played both the free tables and some demos from Pinball Arcade and Pinball FX 2 last night. I'm going to agree with the consensus that Pinball Arcade is the better game - lots of good feedback, simulates a real machine really well with all of the lights and sound effects (haven't played the real Arabian Nights table so not sure how much of a real representation it is). The ball did feel more bouncy in Pinball Arcade than Pinball FX 2 which is somewhat disappointing but everything else was better (Maybe this is better on other tables?).

For Pinball FX 2 I found the tables to be very boring... almost nothing going on until an event happens. Graphics are better and I like how some of the events that happen take you to a seperate table. The comments in here are spot on with how it's kind of it's own thing... the ball doesn't move realistically around loops, weird ball launching mechanics etc... It plays more like a video game than a pinball machine.

In any case I'm probably going to invest in Pinball Arcade since the tables appeal to me more. I'm not a huge Marvel fan and it seems over 50% of the Pinball FX 2 tables are trying to cash in on Marvel/Star Wars hype. Which season of Pinball Arcade tables would be the best to start with?

SURGEdude

I'm pretty sure we will have achieved faster than light travel before somebody figures out the perfect pinball physics. Or at least one everybody can agree on. I don't know what it is but it's been "coming soon" just like flying cars since as long back as I can remember.

I think maybe the tactileness is just so central to the feel that people can't separate the two and thus it always feels just not quite right. I mean when you think about it we should have gotten this pretty much down pat a long time ago considering all the effort throughout the years and the limited nature of what a pinball can actually come into contact with in an enclosed table. Not to mention the people that make these games are mostly enthusiasts themselves.

Lettuce

Needless side note, but I'd actually love it if Pinball Arcade or Zen/FX2 could team with a manufacturer to make a pinball controller accessory (if not an arcade machine for pinball distribution/home use.) Digital pinball is fun and accurate in as many ways as possible, but they're never going to get tilt right with buttons or even an analog stick and a controller mounted like a driving wheel might help that a bit. Plus, it'd just be fun to have.

Does anybody have a home digital pinball machine?

Heres mine....

XdEaMT9.jpg

I play both. If you're a big pinhead, it's worth it to buy both.

Pinball arcade is better designed and the physics, IMO, are much better.

Zen Pinball/Pinball FX 2 have some good concepts to them and a wide variety of tables, but the physics are kind of floaty.

Pinball arcade is pretty rad. It has so many tables like Junkyard that I can't find in the real world anymore. I wish the dlc was either cheaper or broken into smaller pack s.

rjc571

Banned
Pinball FX stinks. Terrible physics and boring tables. Had lots of fun with Pinball Arcade though. The choice is obvious.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I just can't get into the Zen games anymore after playing TPA. The sound design in the Zen games is just so lacking, there's none of that satisfying oomph or even effective sound feedback that real tables have by design

I have to go against the grain here and tell you that while Pinball Arcade is good, I enjoy Pinball FX 2 much more. Why? Because the newer tables are actually very good, the presentation is better, and the physics are adequate. Since I don't have a history with real Pinball tables ( I've always been a huge fan of Pinball video-games, though ), Pinball Arcade doesn't hold any nostalgic value in itself.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The South Park pinball on FX is pretty good, but I usually prefer Arcade all the way. Some of the ways the balls behave in FX really bugs me. And some of their design decisions for certain tables are just plain bad. Where as Arcade is just recreating tables made by some of the most brilliant pinball designers of all time.

TwiztidElf

Pinball Arcade does what it does very well. It simulates real pinball machines.
But real pinball machines are punishing and aren't designed to be entertaining for more than a few minutes at a time (unless you're really good).

Pinball FX2 is designed to be entertaining as a Pinball video game and does it very, VERY well.
I prefer Pinball FX2.

Top Bottom