• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

{Mike}
Banned
(11-04-2008, 05:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Blader5489

You people are insane. Complaining about fonts?!

Missed Dead Rising back in the days?
Zoso
Member
(11-04-2008, 06:09 AM)
Zoso's Avatar

Originally Posted by {Mike}

Missed Dead Rising back in the days?

The font wasn't the problem as much as the size.

Complaining about the font is a little weak. Sure, some people might not like it, but acting like the font is a detrimental part of how the game plays is kind of silly.

However, complaining about the size of the font is completely understandable and it is a notable issue.
Ding
Member
(11-04-2008, 07:04 AM)
Ding's Avatar

Originally Posted by Orodreth

Any idea if its possible to make more complex maneuvers with the flying vehicles like a 360 turn etc..?

You can do an Immelman, but rolls and split-esses don't appear to be possible because you are limited to a 90 degree bank angle. Amusingly, you can fly in reverse!
George K.
Member
(11-04-2008, 12:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Cerrius

Playing the demo now. LOVE the music.

Now I'm even more pissed that Grant Kirkhope left Rare :-(

Just to let you know, the majority of the music was actually composed by Robin Beanland, our head of music and creative mind behind all Banjo's most familiar tunes.
watkinzez
Member
(11-04-2008, 12:45 PM)
watkinzez's Avatar

Originally Posted by George K.

Just to let you know, the majority of the music was actually composed by Robin Beanland, our head of music and creative mind behind all Banjo's most familiar tunes.

Wha? There something I don't know?
George K.
Member
(11-04-2008, 01:04 PM)

Originally Posted by watkinzez

Wha? There something I don't know?

Yeah - Grant was more involved with Viva Piņata, whereas Banjo's been Robin's gig. That said, there was cross-over on both games. There's not much at Rare that happens in isolation.
watkinzez
Member
(11-04-2008, 01:09 PM)
watkinzez's Avatar
Oh, I thought you meant Robin had a hand in the original compositions, in which case I've been lead blind for the past decade. ;)
big_z
just gonna rub one out
in the next few minutes
(11-04-2008, 01:33 PM)
big_z's Avatar
the demo is great, i just wish there was an option to turn off the mini map or make it transparent... bright solid huds make plasma tv cry.
ToyMachine228
Member
(11-04-2008, 03:06 PM)
ToyMachine228's Avatar
Do we know how much Banjo XBLA will be yet? 800 or 1200?
Dr. Kitty Muffins
Member
(11-04-2008, 03:29 PM)
Dr. Kitty Muffins's Avatar
Is there going to be TV ads for this game?
Kuroyume
Member
(11-04-2008, 03:34 PM)
Kuroyume's Avatar

Originally Posted by ToyMachine228

Do we know how much Banjo XBLA will be yet? 800 or 1200?

1200 points

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/b/bk...0-preorder.htm

Originally Posted by Dr. Kitty Muffins

Is there going to be TV ads for this game?

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/1...198H_30US.html
Anasui Kishibe
Banned
(11-04-2008, 04:10 PM)
Anasui Kishibe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr. Kitty Muffins

The demo really needs alot of time to sink its hooks into you. The real fun is vehicle building and it takes a bit to get enough parts to do cool stuff.

that's about as encouraging and reassuring as buying Ronaldinho for your swimming team
George K.
Member
(11-04-2008, 05:19 PM)

Originally Posted by MicVlaD

George (from Rare) already posted in this thread that they're looking into the text issue for the retail version, so there's a chance the size will be increased in the final game.

Unfortunately, this is an issue that doesn't look like it will get changed. I don't want to bore you with the technical side of things (I really don't understand it all myself), but the long and the short of it is that the text you see in the demo will be the same as that which you find in the retail version of the game.

I'm sorry that we weren't able to address this issue as nothing would please us more than turning all your complaints into gleeful responses, but it's simply something that's too expensive in terms of time, resources and money to alter FOR THE INITIAL RETAIL RELEASE.

Please don't kill me. This *doesn't* mean we don't care about or respect the community. This *does* mean that, when all's said and done, we're only human.
Last edited by George K.; 11-10-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Zoso
Member
(11-04-2008, 05:29 PM)
Zoso's Avatar
That's not good news. Looks like I won't be able to read anything in the game then. Awesome =/
goldenpp72
Member
(11-04-2008, 05:31 PM)
goldenpp72's Avatar
I love rare but that is idiotic, you're basically telling people to not bother reading anything in the game, it has no voice acting either so its even worse than dead rising :/

Originally Posted by George K.

Unfortunately, this is an issue that doesn't look like it will get changed. I don't want to bore you with the technical side of things (I really don't understand it all myself), but the long and the short of it is that the text you see in the demo will be the same as that which you find in the retail version of the game.

I'm sorry that we weren't able to address this issue as nothing would please us more than turning all your complaints into gleeful responses, but it's simply something that's too expensive in terms of time, resources and money to alter.

Please don't kill me. This *doesn't* mean we don't care about or respect the community. This *does* mean that, when all's said and done, we're only human.

Any chance of a patch later on?
KevinCow
Banned
(11-04-2008, 05:40 PM)
KevinCow's Avatar

Originally Posted by George K.

Unfortunately, this is an issue that doesn't look like it will get changed. I don't want to bore you with the technical side of things (I really don't understand it all myself), but the long and the short of it is that the text you see in the demo will be the same as that which you find in the retail version of the game.

I'm sorry that we weren't able to address this issue as nothing would please us more than turning all your complaints into gleeful responses, but it's simply something that's too expensive in terms of time, resources and money to alter.

Please don't kill me. This *doesn't* mean we don't care about or respect the community. This *does* mean that, when all's said and done, we're only human.

Is this something that could be fixed with a patch? As someone with an SDTV and poor vision, it would suck to not be able to read the text, as the writing in the Banjo games (and most Rare games) is always pretty funny. Even beyond that, I imagine it would make it a pain in the ass to not be able to read the mission objectives.
George K.
Member
(11-04-2008, 05:41 PM)

Originally Posted by JSnake

Any chance of a patch later on?

I really don't know at this stage, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Again, I appreciate that this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I'd rather be up front and honest with you than spin you a line.

(Btw: believe you me, I sympathise for those of you with poor vision - I just had to have a corneal graft to save the sight in my right eye, that's why I've been off for the last three weeks.)
goldenpp72
Member
(11-04-2008, 05:42 PM)
goldenpp72's Avatar
and if this was meant to be a draw for casual gamers, or wii gamers, might as well shoot that down now because most of them probably don't have good HD sets :/

I don't understand how devs keep forgetting this.
Psychotext
Member
(11-04-2008, 05:42 PM)
Psychotext's Avatar
That's baaaaad news. =/
Majora
Member
(11-04-2008, 05:46 PM)
That's seriously put me off buying the game now. Fast moving text + ridiculously small font size = hell for my eyes. Who on earth decided the text should be that small? Ridiculous. Hope they learned a lesson.
JetSetRadio
Member
(11-04-2008, 06:03 PM)
Ouch. But at least it's good people know now it won't get fixed.
pr0cs
Member
(11-04-2008, 06:07 PM)
pr0cs's Avatar

Originally Posted by Majora

That's seriously put me off buying the game now. Fast moving text + ridiculously small font size = hell for my eyes. Who on earth decided the text should be that small? Ridiculous. Hope they learned a lesson.

Yeah it really hurts the game, even in HD I have a difficult time reading the text, not because of size but because it scrolls away like crazy.
At the very least they should have implemented a "A button" pause after each page of text so you could read it at your leisure.
It will hurt this game, both in scores and people's opinion of it, shame really because the game is a lot of fun.
Majora
Member
(11-04-2008, 06:17 PM)

Originally Posted by pr0cs

Yeah it really hurts the game, even in HD I have a difficult time reading the text, not because of size but because it scrolls away like crazy.
At the very least they should have implemented a "A button" pause after each page of text so you could read it at your leisure.
It will hurt this game, both in scores and people's opinion of it, shame really because the game is a lot of fun.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind SO much if there was an 'A button' pause after every bit of text, like Zelda for example, but it's inconsistent. I don't have a problem with lack of voice acting, but if you're communicating everything through text, you need to make sure the text is legible and that the player can control the speed of it. Nintendo have been doing it for years. I just don't understand how no-one at Rare picked up on it. There's so much screen space and yet they cram the text into this tiny box at the bottom. I also find it problematic to read because some of the characters speak in broken English, so I sometimes have to re-read a sentence, but then it scrolls away before I finish. If I sit on the edge of my couch and strain my eyes I can read it but that's not exactly how I want to be playing games. I really don't understand it, Viva Pinata had loads of text too but that was all at a decent size so it wasn't an issue. Shame.
DogWelder
Member
(11-04-2008, 07:00 PM)
DogWelder's Avatar
Who thought it would be a good idea to use such small ass text? It's as if no-one at Rare even bothered to play/test the game on an SD TV. I've pre-ordered this game, and I'm going to play it on HD, but this just seems amateurish.
HolyStar
Banned
(11-04-2008, 07:31 PM)
HolyStar's Avatar
Jesus Christ. It amazes me that in every thread you people find at least one thing to bitch about. Damn, instead of talking about all the amazing things in the game, you focus on the few bad things forever.
Kuroyume
Member
(11-04-2008, 07:34 PM)
Kuroyume's Avatar
I think the text is actually an important issue for some people. I enjoyed the writing in the demo and it would be a shame if I couldn't read it. Fortunately, I play 360 games through my monitor.
CrunchinJelly
formerly cjelly
(11-04-2008, 07:37 PM)
CrunchinJelly's Avatar
I can't believe GAF has such bad eyesight.

I sit 6 feet away from a 26" HDTV and it's fine for me to read. Not say it isn't small, but it's perfectly readable for me.
soco
Member
(11-04-2008, 07:38 PM)
soco's Avatar

Originally Posted by cjelly

I can't believe GAF has such bad eyesight.

I sit 6 feet away from a 26" HDTV and it's fine for me to read. Not say it isn't small, but it's perfectly readable for me.

i could see it fine on at ~ 10-12 feet on my 40" but it scrolled way too fast for me to read at that size.
BobFromPikeCreek
I am hard
yet I am tender
(11-04-2008, 10:47 PM)
BobFromPikeCreek's Avatar

Originally Posted by HolyStar

Jesus Christ. It amazes me that in every thread you people find at least one thing to bitch about. Damn, instead of talking about all the amazing things in the game, you focus on the few bad things forever.

GAF has decided they hate this game. Any flaw, regardless of how minor it is, is automatically game breaking.
antiloop
Member
(11-04-2008, 10:50 PM)

Originally Posted by cjelly

I can't believe GAF has such bad eyesight.

I sit 6 feet away from a 26" HDTV and it's fine for me to read. Not say it isn't small, but it's perfectly readable for me.

meh, don't worry. If it wasn't the font people would find something else to complain about. :p
pr0cs
Member
(11-04-2008, 10:50 PM)
pr0cs's Avatar

Originally Posted by BobFromPikeCreek

GAF has decided they hate this game. Any flaw, regardless of how minor it is, is automatically game breaking.

I love the game, I've had it preordered since August but that isn't going to stop me from bitching about my biggest complaint with the game (at least from the demo).
I'm a huge Rare fan but they REALLY dropped the ball on this one. i don't understand really how it could have ever made it through QA/playtesting unless everyone is playing on a monitor 8 inches from the screen.
RBH
Member
(11-04-2008, 10:53 PM)
RBH's Avatar

Originally Posted by 1cesc

Who thought it would be a good idea to use such small ass text? It's as if no-one at Rare even bothered to play/test the game on an SD TV. I've pre-ordered this game, and I'm going to play it on HD, but this just seems amateurish.

My thoughts as well.
Zoso
Member
(11-04-2008, 10:56 PM)
Zoso's Avatar

Originally Posted by HolyStar

Jesus Christ. It amazes me that in every thread you people find at least one thing to bitch about. Damn, instead of talking about all the amazing things in the game, you focus on the few bad things forever.

There's plenty of love for this game, it's still going to be great. But the text size is kind of a big deal, especially for us SDTV users =/

Originally Posted by George K.

I really don't know at this stage, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Again, I appreciate that this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I'd rather be up front and honest with you than spin you a line.

I appreciate all you do, George. I'm still looking forward to Banjo Kazooie a lot, but this news about the text is a bit disappointing.
DogWelder
Member
(11-04-2008, 10:56 PM)
DogWelder's Avatar
Sorry, normally I would side with the apologists because most people are just whiny fucks, but having a non-readable font on SD TVs with no voice acting is just a stupid, stupid design decision. Especially for a game as deep as this, where tutorials are a requisite and the writing is actually humourous.
Mango Positive
(11-04-2008, 10:58 PM)
Mango Positive's Avatar
Y'all should get an HDTV. Banjo looks amazing on them!
Creamium
shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
(11-04-2008, 11:06 PM)
Creamium's Avatar
What annoyed me wasn't the text size in the demo, but the speed at which it scrolled away! In the story sections those lines flew by really fast. What happened to putting an A button confirmation at the end of every text box
KevinCow
Banned
(11-04-2008, 11:11 PM)
KevinCow's Avatar

Originally Posted by BobFromPikeCreek

GAF has decided they hate this game. Any flaw, regardless of how minor it is, is automatically game breaking.

So you don't see an issue with the fact that the text in the game is illegible for some people?
BobFromPikeCreek
I am hard
yet I am tender
(11-04-2008, 11:14 PM)
BobFromPikeCreek's Avatar

Originally Posted by KevinCow

So you don't see an issue with the fact that the text in the game is illegible for some people?

There's an issue, definitely. It was a dumb move on Rare's part. Do I think it's enough to pass on the game? Not really.
Jirotrom
Member
(11-04-2008, 11:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Darunia

What annoyed me wasn't the text size in the demo, but the speed at which it scrolled away! In the story sections those lines flew by really fast. What happened to putting an A button confirmation at the end of every text box

pssshhh you people really need to learn how to read faster...

im being a dick:p
Nicktals
Member
(11-04-2008, 11:19 PM)

Originally Posted by antiloop

meh, don't worry. If it wasn't the font people would find something else to complain about. :p

You say this as if people aren't already complaining about anything else.

Give me some credit! I've been bitching about the gameplay decision for months, this is just the complaint of the week =)
KevinCow
Banned
(11-04-2008, 11:20 PM)
KevinCow's Avatar

Originally Posted by BobFromPikeCreek

There's an issue, definitely. It was a dumb move on Rare's part. Do I think it's enough to pass on the game? Not really.

If it's bad enough that I can't read what I'm supposed to do in a mission, then it could very well be game breaking.
BobFromPikeCreek
I am hard
yet I am tender
(11-04-2008, 11:20 PM)
BobFromPikeCreek's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nicktals

You say this as if people aren't already complaining about anything else.

Give me some credit! I've been bitching about the gameplay decision for months, this is just the complaint of the week =)

Nothing better to do then spend months complaining about a game you obviously don't want to get?
CitizenCope
Member
(11-04-2008, 11:26 PM)
CitizenCope's Avatar
I'm glad for my 100" screen. :D
FerranMG
Member
(11-04-2008, 11:33 PM)
FerranMG's Avatar

Originally Posted by Darunia

What annoyed me wasn't the text size in the demo, but the speed at which it scrolled away! In the story sections those lines flew by really fast. What happened to putting an A button confirmation at the end of every text box

My main concern after playing the demo.
Nicktals
Member
(11-04-2008, 11:34 PM)

Originally Posted by BobFromPikeCreek

Nothing better to do then spend months complaining about a game you obviously don't want to get?

BobFromPikeCreek
Join Date: 05-16-2006
Total Posts: 9,960 (11.03 posts per day)


Nicktals
Join Date: 06-25-2006
Total Posts: 1,219 (1.41 posts per day)


Yeeeah, having nothing better to do is my problem?

I think you're overestimating the difference in terms of value (or however you used 'better') coming to a forum and talking about a game you will buy, and coming to a forum and talking about a game you won't buy.

The real difference is that I just talk less.


EDIT: I'll elaborate. I plan on experiencing every part of this game that I find enjoyable. I love the art direction, the power technology, the writing, and quite a few other things. I don't like the gameplay, and don't want to support further Banjo games in this vein. Luckily I can experience all the parts I enjoy for free (and without worrying about the text on my SD TV), so for me it works out pretty well.

This is a thread on the demo, and I don't want it to get off topic, but I just made a light-hearted post, and you felt the need to respond snarkily, so I felt the need to respond.
Last edited by Nicktals; 11-04-2008 at 11:43 PM.
BobFromPikeCreek
I am hard
yet I am tender
(11-04-2008, 11:38 PM)
BobFromPikeCreek's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nicktals

BobFromPikeCreek
Join Date: 05-16-2006
Total Posts: 9,960 (11.03 posts per day)


Nicktals
Join Date: 06-25-2006
Total Posts: 1,219 (1.41 posts per day)


Yeeeah, having nothing better to do is my problem?

I think you're overestimating the difference in terms of value (or however you used 'better') coming to a forum and talking about a game you will buy, and coming to a forum and talking about a game you won't buy.

The real difference is that I just talk less.

What the fuck does my post count have to do with anything?
Nose Master
Member
(11-04-2008, 11:42 PM)
Nose Master's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dr. Kitty Muffins

Is there going to be TV ads for this game?

I saw one last night on G4.
Nicktals
Member
(11-04-2008, 11:43 PM)

Originally Posted by BobFromPikeCreek

What the fuck does my post count have to do with anything?

It has everything to do with the phrase "you don't have anything better to do than...". Is your time really spent a lot better than mine, because you make positive posts as compared to my posts which state and explain that I'm not a fan of the gameplay? I just thought it was interesting that I'm wasting my time making 1 post a day, because a small percentage of them say something not positively glowing about the game, but you're not wasting your time making 11 posts a day because a small percentage of those posts are glowing about the game.
BobFromPikeCreek
I am hard
yet I am tender
(11-04-2008, 11:47 PM)
BobFromPikeCreek's Avatar
I spend my posts in threads talking about games I enjoy. You spend your posts repeatedly going into threads to make the same complaint about a game you have no interest in buying. There is a very big difference.

Thread Tools