• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Nintendo DS Collecting, Appreciation, and Nostalgia Thread

Chopper

Indeed I was.

Although, it goes without saying that Ouendan is worth repurchasing. The sequel's awesome too. EBA is like their weird, inferior little cousin.

Why the hell did you sell Ketsui though?! Presumably you made mad profit...

Yasawas

Speaking of which, Ketsui get-sui :) Limited edition version too. Did not expect it to get it with the bid I put in but the auction ended at an awful time (1730 on a weekday) which doubtless helped me. Yesss.

What are some great DS rhythm games I can play without the stylus? Ouendan is king naturally, but I'm looking for something I can play on the train without looking too ridiculous.

DS GAF - Recommend me a great RPG that isn't Final Fantasy or Fire Emblem. I'm looking for some classic Turn-Based Goodness.

Also - what's so cool about 999? It looks interesting, but I want to make sure it has great gameplay as well as a great story.

DS GAF - Recommend me a great RPG that isn't Final Fantasy or Fire Emblem. I'm looking for some classic Turn-Based Goodness.

Also - what's so cool about 999? It looks interesting, but I want to make sure it has great gameplay as well as a great story.

Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6, 9. DQ4 is probably my favorite of the bunch but is hard to find at a good price these days. DQ5 and 9 are both very good starting points in the series.

999 is like a hard to put down book with a kind of mindblowing twist towards the end. I ended up playing it over the course of two evenings, the 2nd of which I was up until like 5am playing through the final endings.

gngf123

Strange Journey, the Dragon Quest remakes + 9 and Radiant Historia.

Also I was surprised to see a cheap used copy of Infinite Space just sitting on the store shelves the other day. It's not expensive over here like it is in the US, but I still don't come across it in the wild very often.

Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6, 9. DQ4 is probably my favorite of the bunch but is hard to find at a good price these days. DQ5 and 9 are both very good starting points in the series.

999 is like a hard to put down book with a kind of mindblowing twist towards the end. I ended up playing it over the course of two evenings, the 2nd of which I was up until like 5am playing through the final endings.

I thought about DQ games... they looked pretty interesting. What differentiates them from a Final Fantasy game?

Also, how long would you say 999 is to beat? 2 nights seems like a hard to put down game!

What are some great DS rhythm games I can play without the stylus? Ouendan is king naturally, but I'm looking for something I can play on the train without looking too ridiculous.

The only non-stylus DS rhythm games I'd say I'm particularly a fan of are the Taiko games. It has the option for stylus controls (and even comes with cute Taiko-branded styli), but I generally find myself gravitating towards button controls out of convenience.

Yasawas

Benny if you live in the UK Dragon Quest 6 and 9 are seemingly always on sale in Argos for a few pounds. 5 is a very different story.

I thought 999 was total shit, so slow and boring. I gave it an hour and a half and then put it down with a mind to selling it. Next day I picked it back up and only stopped five hours later after my first ending - so good :)

The only non-stylus DS rhythm games I'd say I'm particularly a fan of are the Taiko games. It has the option for stylus controls (and even comes with cute Taiko-branded styli), but I generally find myself gravitating towards button controls out of convenience.

I did not know you could play them with the buttons, cheers!

By recommendation, I started on Radiant Historia last night. I'm about 1.5hrs in - looks to be one awesome game. A very refined Turn Based system.

daydream

Banned
A small update to my collection: Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past, 42 All-Time Classics and Boing! Docomodake.

Went to a small gamestop today. Surprised to have found these let alone complete and not cart only...

photo_zpse7c7c7ce.jpg

I have alot of game to play now.

mollipen

Been meaning to join in on the photo-sharing fun for a while now, so here's my current collection. (Click to see full-sized version.) I'm still missing a number of games that I want to track down, and I've got a few other specialty boxes/accessories that are too far packed away at the moment to dig out.

Oh, and here's an update on my DS collection, including a few younger siblings (3DS) and some unwelcome guests. *heh* Also still missing a shade of pink or two in the different models.

shidoshi-portables.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Dash Kappei said:
Is it ok to post pics of my collection?
I'd like people commenting on it, I feel it's pretty good but still missing tons of games... plus ones I've sold like an idiot ie both Advance Wars, Mario 64 DS, Retro Game Challenge, Ketsui DS, Elite Beat, Ouendan and many others :(

Oh wow I forgot I promised to post my collection, I'm in the process of moving it from where you can see it in the first pic, so this was a good excuse to laid everything on the bed and take photos. I'm doing this while on iPad, don't be afraid to tell me if that's too many or they're too big.

smSGXAh.jpg
qvZ7XJj.jpg

4DkSHye.jpg
ZEkDcwM.jpg

-
LJrdSwK.jpg

way more excited to play this than i probably should be

Also got a few more import goodies like Panel de Pon DS and both Jump Stars games.

It's really cool to see everyone's collections. I'd post mine, but I'm a student so I only have a tiny portion of my DS games with me. I've been doing a pretty shit job of logging my collection lately, but... I think I'm sitting at around 85 DS games? Still have tons more I'm interested in getting.

Balb

What's the general consensus as to what the definitive way of playing original DS games is? I love the form factor and ergonomics of the DSi but after trying it again for the first time in a while it's hard not to notice how small the screen is in relation to its bezel. It's kind of jarring in a way.

maxcriden

What's the general consensus as to what the definitive way of playing original DS games is? I love the form factor and ergonomics of the DSi but after trying it again for the first time in a while it's hard not to notice how small the screen is in relation to its bezel. It's kind of jarring in a way.

To me, it's the DS Lite without question. Better resolution than the 3DS emulation and perfect d-pad IMO. L/R buttons are my only issue, but unless you're playing Jungle Climber you probably won't be using those constantly.

Boney

Banned
To me, it's the DS Lite without question. Better resolution than the 3DS emulation and perfect d-pad IMO. L/R buttons are my only issue, but unless you're playing Jungle Climber you probably won't be using those constantly.
Eww the DSlite dpad and buttons are all mushy and terrible.

I'm fond of the DSi because of the Matte finish and I think it's the perfect size for DS games, but you can't go wrong with the XL which is overall better hardware.

maxcriden

Eww the DSlite dpad and buttons are all mushy and terrible.

I'm fond of the DSi because of the Matte finish and I think it's the perfect size for DS games, but you can't go wrong with the XL which is overall better hardware.

Love the mushy d-pad. It's awesome. So comfy. DSi has a good size, but XL has too big of a screen for a portable (all IMO ofc!).

Teknoman

So if I bought a japanese DSi XL, i'd be able to change the language to english? I want to get a DSiXL since I had the chance to mess with a friend's system...and DS games generally look not so great on 3DSXL, but I kinda like some of the JP colors / special editions more.

On that note, anyone have a link showing all the different DSiXL / DSiLL variations?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've been picking up a few DS games to try and round out my collection a bit, and I came across Jake Hunter again. There were two Jake Hunter games released in the US, and while the first one was supposed to be kinda bad, I'd heard good things about Memories of the Past. Is the game actually worth picking up? I kinda love the artwork. Totally has that noir-ish '90s visual novel feel.

In any case, I'm loving these cheap DS game prices. I suppose it's only a matter of time before prices skyrocket like... basically every other old Nintendo system.

Going hunting for Chrono Trigger later today. Wish me luck!

All else fails I'll just amazon it lol.

EDIT: looks like i'm hitting amazon haha. Gamestop had it but $25 with no case ect, can grab a new one for that price.

Danny Dudekisser

Going hunting for Chrono Trigger later today. Wish me luck!

All else fails I'll just amazon it lol.

EDIT: looks like i'm hitting amazon haha. Gamestop had it but $25 with no case ect, can grab a new one for that price.

Less than that, probably. Chrono Trigger is really cheap right now.

Come to think of it, do any retail stores actually sell new DS games anymore? Seems like I'm using Amazon or Ebay for precisely 100% of it these days.

Cody_D165

Banned

Come to think of it, do any retail stores actually sell new DS games anymore? Seems like I'm using Amazon or Ebay for precisely 100% of it these days.

The only ones I see in stores are like the licensed games for kids, all of my purchases come from Amazon or eBay too.

Walmart/Target/K-Mart ect. still sell their cheap unsold ds games on clearance all the time, sometimes first party nintendo ones as well. But yeah, I figured amazon would be the cheapest to get a new copy, wanted to try my luck and not have to wait til after new year for a copy is all :)

Also cause I would have to walk to the corner store to get a prepaid card to order online. Guess the exercise is good but its been super hot here, winter my ass, had my air conditioner blasting in the car today lol

Danny Dudekisser

I finished replaying the first Phoenix Wright game. Still awesome. Also glad I didn't resign myself to playing the kinda ghetto Trilogy version on the 3DS.

Xhorder

Does anyone know if the German version of Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon is identical to the regular EU version, except for the fugly giant age rating on the front of the box? I want to play the game in English. The regular EU version is usually pretty expensive, but I found a cheaper German version. I just don't want to end up with a game where the only language option is German.

daydream

Banned
Does anyone know if the German version of Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon is identical to the regular EU version, except for the fugly giant age rating on the front of the box? I want to play the game in English. The regular EU version is usually pretty expensive, but I found a cheaper German version. I just don't want to end up with a game where the only language option is German.

Nah, it's got English.

Based 5-in-1 localisation.

Rich!

So, I wanted to buy a DSi XL yesterday (UK). They had one in my local CEX for cheap and I was going to do some trade-ins to get it for essentially nothing. Went there and had a look at it. The bottom screen was completely fucked.

I then went to the only other store in the town, GAME. They had two. They were both even worse. Top screen dented, bottom screen scratched to hell, outer casing destroyed. Like, what the fuck. why even allow this shit to be traded in?

I then drove to the only other area within 30 miles of where I live that sells preowned games (CEX again) who had a preowned yellow boxed model. Now, this one was an improvement...but still had too many screen scratches to ignore.

godfuckingdamnit. no luck on gumtree/ebay either.

Kyonashi

So I found a copy of Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations in a CEX store this week, without even specifically hunting for it. The crazy thing was that I had a CEX voucher in my wallet for the exact amount of the game. As its the only AA game I don't have a boxed copy of, I picked it up, I'd never seen in in physical form before.

Santar

Just thought I'd join the fun and post my little collection :)
Was fun to lay them all out like that, gave me an excuse to finally sort them alphabetically again :D
The DS sure was an amazing console, it had so many great games!

Weegee

I found a new copy of Pokemon Conquest at a target near me for 30 bucks. I checked online before going and the website said it was in stock but not available for in store pick up.I couldn't find it in their display anywhere but I asked the store associate about it (the same guy who I always bug about amiibos), and he was able to locate it for me.

Just thought I'd join the fun and post my little collection :)
Was fun to lay them all out like that, gave me an excuse to finally sort them alphabetically again :D
The DS sure was an amazing console, it had so many great games!

Great collection! I really should post pics of my updated DS collection as well.

I found a new copy of Pokemon Conquest at a target near me for 30 bucks. I checked online before going and the website said it was in stock but not available for in store pick up.I couldn't find it in their display anywhere but I asked the store associate about it (the same guy who I always bug about amiibos), and he was able to locate it for me.

I love this game! I bought this new off eBay and thankfully it was a legit copy. I have always secretly hoped for a sequel to this game for the 3DS.

daydream

Banned
Were there ever DSi-only retail cartridges? any worth it?

I think there are five games or so that received DSi-only cartridges. AFAIK, none of them are really worth talking about except Foto Showdown which is supposed to have some redeeming qualities. That's just going off impressions I remember reading online, though.

So if I bought a japanese DSi XL, i'd be able to change the language to english? I want to get a DSiXL since I had the chance to mess with a friend's system...and DS games generally look not so great on 3DSXL, but I kinda like some of the JP colors / special editions more.

On that note, anyone have a link showing all the different DSiXL / DSiLL variations?
I believe the DSi was the first DS to remove the English language option in Japan :-( Blame Nintendo.

I think there are five games or so that received DSi-only cartridges. AFAIK, none of them are really worth talking about except Foto Showdown which is supposed to have some redeeming qualities. That's just going off impressions I remember reading online, though.

Foto Showdown starts off sort of like a cute Monster Rancher-y game with an interesting mechanic where you take photos to generate monsters.
Except it's super boring and finicky and the battles are weird.
A few hours into the game the battles were too difficult for me to win and the random nature of monster conversion meant I wasn't able to get better monsters.

But it's a quaint little game I suppose. Probably would have been better as a $5-10 eShop title, though.

daydream

Banned
Man, I was eyeing an affordable copy of Okamiden that I was going to buy at the end of the month but someone took advantage of the offer before me, it seems. Bummer. Game goes for 50€ new at the moment, from what I can tell.

Foto Showdown starts off sort of like a cute Monster Rancher-y game with an interesting mechanic where you take photos to generate monsters.
Except it's super boring and finicky and the battles are weird.
A few hours into the game the battles were too difficult for me to win and the random nature of monster conversion meant I wasn't able to get better monsters.

But it's a quaint little game I suppose. Probably would have been better as a $5-10 eShop title, though.

That sounds even weirder than I expected, especially the part where it's seemingly broken.

Top Bottom