• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

Mask

Really? The
water section
was pretty easy. And the
gas section
was a nice change of pace in a way because you
couldn't fire your gun and if you got caught it was like "oh shiz!" lol.
I only died I think once or twice in there though.

I used pretty much everything I had on the
Giant Boss-thing
in the previous chapter, so I was constantly low on ammo for the whole chapter. My main problem was the three-part gauntlet of annoying enemies, that was the really annoying part.

Lucent

Okay, I would really hate to fight that
slithery monster that spits out leeches
on Akumu. That'd take a lot of patience to keep those
leeches off you AND dodge him.

Continuing on!

Sanctuary

Because the character threw away the chainsaw instead of keeping it as a weapon. I feel the same way actually, but it wouldn't work in this game to have a chainsaw. Way too OP. But it is definitely immersion breaking.

And it's not immersion breaking that you can't use the combat knife you have the entire game except when enemies can't see you?

JoeFenix

Does anyone here use an SSD drive in their PS4?

Does that solve most of the texture loading issues or atleast greatly diminish them?

Trying to get the knife kill on the sadist is turning out to be quite the trial. You have to soften him up right to the breaking point before you can kill him with your knife. And if you accidentally kill him (which I have twice now) you immediately checkpoint.

3 explosive bolts in a row, flash bolt + stab, flash bolt + stab, achievement unlocked.

Yeah, and after you use the two (???) that you get, you'll never use them again because Flash, Harpoon, Exploding and even Lightning are better. I do think the shotgun is a nice advantage though. At least on Akumu where you really have to conserve your shots. This lets you carry more ammo early on before many upgrades into the regular shotgun.

I used incendiary bolts quite extensively on my first playthrough, far more than flash or lightning, and they were lifesavers on a number of occasions. Although, they were also life-enders on a number of occasion since you suddenly have an enemy running towards you with flames spitting out of its chest.

Lucent

Geez. Those
two Keepers
are a pain in the ass. I just don't want to use my precious
magnum
ammo on them. =l

I
killed one and then didn't realize that the pool of blood got higher and made it impossible to run until it was too late and the other one killed me.

HAH! I just tried again and came up with an easy solution. Required me to use
a freeze bolt and 4 grenades though.

Lucent

Welp, I beat it. Guess I'm off to the spoiler thread. lol

EDIT: Also holy crap. I should've went crazy the last couple of chapters with my ammo. I had on chapter
before the
final fight

Max handgun ammo

Max shotgun ammo

Max sniper ammo

Magnum with 6 in the chamber and 6 in stock

4 syringes

Could've destroyed those
2 Keepers
even easier. And that place with a few
waves of enemies.

Oh well...lol I guess I'll know when to go crazy on my Nightmare playthrough.

Random thought but I think the flash arrow is really underrated against large groups of enemies once it's upgraded, especially on higher difficulties against masked haunted.

It's cheap in parts and with 1 flash bolt at lvl 4 you can kill 3 haunted with the knife. The stun could also be a lifesaver on AKUMO against enemies with
guns.

AngryJoe wasn't the only Youtuber/Streamer to have share that opinion for what it's worth. Even some very mellow streamers who rarely (if ever) hate on games on Stream turned this game off early. I don't understand why some people can accept others enjoy this, while those that enjoy it can't seem to accept that faults and issues others have with the game.

Alfredo

I really wonder if this game originally had more ammo drops.

I tried to conserve as much ammo as I could, and I still had some periods of ammo drought in the later parts of the game. What's funny is at this point
enemies start to carry guns, but they rarely drop ammo
!

I couldn't even rely on the old RE4 trick of getting free ammo from capacity upgrades.

I mean, it's not necessarily a bad thing that there isn't much ammo, but it seems kinda weird.

AngryJoe wasn't the only Youtuber/Streamer to have share that opinion for what it's worth. Even some very mellow streamers who rarely (if ever) hate on games on Stream turned this game off early. I don't understand why some people can accept others enjoy this, while those that enjoy it can't seem to accept that faults and issues others have with the game.

I guess you didn't watch the stream. It's one thing to point out faults and have criticisms of the game. It's a totally different thing to say false things about the game to a huge audience because you literally couldn't figure out how to do something or were clearly doing something wrong.

Neff

Finished it last night. Started a new game as soon as the credits had rolled. Ended up playing for several hours.

I don't think I've ever done this with a game before.

Mikami delivered.

I guess you didn't watch the stream. It's one thing to point out faults and have criticisms of the game. It's a totally different thing to say false things about the game to a huge audience because you literally couldn't figure out how to do something or were clearly doing something wrong.

Well this is AngryJoe his whole gimmick is shitting on stuff for the sake of shitting on it. People who follow him, follow for that. I'd be surprised if any of them were originally intending on getting this game or not. I'll watch the vod now and see just how bad it really was.

Lucent

Finished it last night. Started a new game as soon as the credits had rolled. Ended up playing for several hours.

I don't think I've ever done this with a game before.

Mikami delivered.

Yeah it's a really good game. There are a handful of parts I didn't really care much for, but not enough to spoil the rest of the game.

Really hoping for a sequel or something with more polish, on a better engine, and current gen focused.

And can't wait for the DLC either. Probably won't really play again until then except maybe do some on and off progress with Nightmare or Akumu until the DLC hits. Sunset Overdrive is gonna be my next game and it's only a little over a week away.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Chapter 6 isn't great. It's a carbon copy of
Resident Evil 4's action stages
without doing anything particularly original or necessarily better on its own terms. It's not bad, just serviceable. I hope this isn't indicative of the rest of the game.

Lernaean

Banned
BTW, I almost missed the Crossbow. If that happened, can you find it again, later in the game?

Yes.
You come across quite a few cases in the game. If you missed a gun, you will get it in the next case, if you got the gun in the previous case, the next will have ammo.

Well this is AngryJoe his whole gimmick is shitting on stuff for the sake of shitting on it. People who follow him, follow for that. I'd be surprised if any of them were originally intending on getting this game or not. I'll watch the vod now and see just how bad it really was.

I've watched several of his reviews and I'd always found him to be pretty fair and accurate, albeit really hammy (yes, I get that's his gimmick). This is the first time I've watched him stream though. Maybe he's just different in reviews.

without doing anything particularly original or necessarily better on its own terms. It's not bad, just serviceable. I hope this isn't indicative of the rest of the game.

This is exactly how I felt during that chapter. It's been my least favorite by far.

Just wrapped up Chapter 4. I usually don't like a game that forces me to flee from enemies but I'll stick with this game till the end because of Mikami.

Neff

Yes.
You come across quite a few cases in the game. If you missed a gun, you will get it in the next case, if you got the gun in the previous case, the next will have ammo.

Fascinating.

So very nearly missed the
Magnum
, too.

KyleCross

Well this is AngryJoe his whole gimmick is shitting on stuff for the sake of shitting on it.

Except that's not his gimmick at all.

The problem he was facing in TEW is Chapter 3. He got to the point where he was playing it like an action game. He stopped using stealth. He barely explored which resulted in him missing the Crossbow, something he would've missed all together if he didn't up and decide to look at chat on his tablet just at the right time of someone mentioning it... which someone in chat was doing for like an hour. He had a shotgun shell to his name which he just kept using to
blast the shed open to free the Sadist, instead of going above and shooting him directly.
He was just doing really stupid things, and he saw it as the games problem, and the viewers thought the same.

But all and all, I'm not going to hold it against him. Chapter 3 IS a heck of a difficulty curve and as he plays more I'm sure he'll figure things out more and how doing and not doing certain things is the name of the game. He seemed a bit more positive after he beat the chapter and took pride in not reducing the difficulty down to casual. I only hope that he'll stream it more when/if he comes to better terms with the game to undo some of the damage he might've down with his fanbase, if only cause some of them could be potential buyers.

Also I'm curious how informed he was about the game, with some of the comments he made I'm not even sure he realized that this game was made by Shinji Mikami or who that even is. Safe to say he'll have researched that come review time tho.

Lernaean

Banned
Fascinating.

Though i think it doesn't go on forever. I mean,
in ch 3, you are supposed to get the xbow, and then you are getting the rifle for example. While you will get the xbow if you missed it the first time, i'm sure that if you don't get it by the time you get to the point where you are supposed to get the next weapon (after having skipped 2-3 cases that would have it), you'll most likely miss it.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
So will the story and the location placement will make sense at some point? I completed chapter 7 yesterday (besides chapter 3 this is the only one I actually liked so far) and I still don't understand what this is all about.

How was this game planned? I can vividly imagine:

Mikami: Ok guys, collect all the horror locations you could possibly think of.
Team: *check*
Mikami: Ok, now build levels for each location.
Team: Wait, how do we connect those levels?
Mikami: Well, lets just have the main character have a hallucination at the end of each location and then spawn him into the next.
Team: *applause*

Lucent

It'll makes sense. At the very least you'll get the reason. You think Mikami would do what he's doing for no reason if he can make something like RE4? That shows he can make them interconnected and make sense. He has the ability.

Though in the end there are some things I still wanna know. Probably will get more explained through the
DLC

I'm not far ahead of you, but I think decent fan service to RE4 is pretty much this game in a nutshell. It makes you remember how great RE4 was but can never step out of its shadow.

Which is fine, good fun, but it's a bit depressing when you think what a revolutionary game RE4 was. I suppose it's hard to do that all over again, but some people manage it (Miyamoto...)

Guy.brush

Played through chapter 1 & 2. DAT crushed blacks & grain!
Story wise, would I be correct to assume that:

Sebastian is just a patient in a mental hospital that underwent/undergoes lobotomy?
That's why the checkpoint sign has a pointy thing hitting a brain, he is upgrading in the hospital ward's neuro surgery ward and that's why everyone has sharp pointy thingy stuck in their body?
Will there be more to it than just IT'S ALL A DREAM?

Hey guys !

Do you know where i can find on youtube the song of the carousel in the game ?

The two carousels, the " real " and the other ( you know what i mean ! :p )

Please ! :)

Haunted

Sebastian is just a patient in a mental hospital that underwent/undergoes lobotomy?
Nope.

Which is fine, as you have pretty much no info on the (back)story yet. Some of it will be explained later in the game, but not really. It's pretty kooky.

aravuus

Played through chapter 1 & 2. DAT crushed blacks & grain!

That's why the checkpoint sign has a pointy thing hitting a brain, he is upgrading in the hospital ward's neuro surgery ward and that's why everyone has sharp pointy thingy stuck in their body?
Will there be more to it than just IT'S ALL A DREAM?

I'm gonna give you a straight answer so, you know, if you want to actually see for yourself if your theory holds, don't highlight the spoilers below

It's a neat theory, but unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) completely wrong

e: nvm, didn't refresh and haunted ruined the immense amount of work that went into this post lol

antitrop

I'm sad to hear that Angry Joe sucks ass at video games too much to enjoy this one, as I appreciate his opinions and was looking forward to his review on this.

Hagi

Finished Chapter 9 apart from the start it was a pretty good chapter, maybe one of the best so far tied with 3. Easily the best imagery though.
dat Sunflower field

yiKgHmk.png

bupsDku.png

AgC9Xhy.png

EDIT:
I can't wait for new players opinions on REmaster

Man, some of the twitch comments are pure comedy gold

So will the story and the location placement will make sense at some point? I completed chapter 7 yesterday (besides chapter 3 this is the only one I actually liked so far) and I still don't understand what this is all about.

How was this game planned? I can vividly imagine:

Mikami: Ok guys, collect all the horror locations you could possibly think of.
Mikami: Ok, now build levels for each location.
Team: Wait, how do we connect those levels?
Mikami: Well, lets just have the main character have a hallucination at the end of each location and then spawn him into the next.
Team: *applause*

I actually really really like that TEW is chapter based.
After a chapter finishes I am such a nervous wreck that I have to watch some TV etc. before I jump back in. And it's nice to know how much content is left in the game.
But just play on the next chapters, it will all make sense.

Dereck

Were you guys hurting for ammo of any kind throughout the entirety of Chapter 11? I'm busting down every box I see and all I'm getting is brain juice, the game has been a chore for the last hour for this very reason.

vg260

Trying to enjoy this game, but the technical issues are making it real difficult. As of right now, I'm regretting buying the PC version after initial reports of the 60fps unlock working well. The forced aspect ratio is simply horrible and it's just such a mess. I know the unlock is not officially supported, but right now I'd only be able to recommend it as a console rental, not a purchase. It's been beaten to death, but so many bad tech/design choices at the game's core really souring a game I'd otherwise be loving. I feel especially put off considering they upped the typical PC MSRP to $59.99. I feel like that took a bit of nerve considering how janky the PC port is.

MrS

Banned
Chapter 5 is a thing of fucking beauty. Probably the most fun I've had with a game this year.
I'll be playing this chapter when I get home from work - can't wait!

The game is a lot of fun so far. Reading through the last few pages I've learned that I need to focus on upgrading stamina and handgun crit hits, so thanks for that.

Trying to get a feel for this game. Up to Chapter 4 and the controls are really janky along with the camera. Sometimes I can't get a clean shot of what is coming around a corner. And those damn black bars!!!!!!

Guy.brush

Trying to get a feel for this game. Up to Chapter 4 and the controls are really janky along with the camera. Sometimes I can't get a clean shot of what is coming around a corner. And those damn black bars!!!!!!

I installed Flawless Widescreen and what a relief!

Is there a consensus yet if the black bars are
A) Next-gen GPU rendering savings
B) Artistic vision
C) Gameplay reasons

cause if it is mainly A) I aint feel guilty

Zampano

Going on a Mikami binge now I've finished this. Downloaded Vanquish on PS3. Already played through twice on 360 but packed the xbox away now. PS3 version is supposedly pretty much the same as the xbox one, thank god. Then Godhand, and will probably go through RE4 for the hundredth time before REMake comes out. Can't wait to hear what he's working on next. Any others I might be missing?

Going on a Mikami binge now I've finished this. Downloaded Vanquish on PS3. Already played through twice on 360 but packed the xbox away now. PS3 version is supposedly pretty much the same as the xbox one, thank god. Then Godhand, and will probably go through RE4 for the hundredth time before REMake comes out. Can't wait to hear what he's working on next. Any others I might be missing?

You could play PN03. You probably should just not though. I don't even hate the game as much as some people but compared to any of those other games it's a big step down in quality.

AkuMifune

Banned
Were you guys hurting for ammo of any kind throughout the entirety of Chapter 11? I'm busting down every box I see and all I'm getting is brain juice, the game has been a chore for the last hour for this very reason.

Yeah, I was doing really well and then totally ran out of all ammo around there. But if you're where I think you are, there's a stealth section followed by an area you can get more ammo at, and I was able to restock fully in Chapter 12.

In Chapter 14 now and still loving it. I wouldn't say it's the RE5 that should have been (as I wish they would go back to being an adventure game hybrid like classic RE), but it's certainly RE4 II. And there's a lot I like about it more than RE4, but I generally rank that one lower than RE3. ANYWAY, really looking forward to wrapping it up and starting Hard. After Chapter 5 it's been pretty smooth sailing aside from trial and error fighting
Spider lady fire gate battle

I installed Flawless Widescreen and what a relief!

Is there a consensus yet if the black bars are
A) Next-gen GPU rendering savings
B) Artistic vision
C) Gameplay reasons

cause if it is mainly A) I aint feel guilty

At first I was convinced it was B. But after installing that same fix, it's most certainly A. Tango games was banging against ID Tech 5 like a zombie trying to play with a Lego set.

You could play the original RE1. I like the Deadly Silence version the best, but the dual shock version on PSN isn't so bad either.

Dino crisis!

Mupod

might try out the fix later. I honestly just forgot about the black bars until recently, when I was reminded of them in chapter 7
by all those spike ceilings. I didn't notice one of them as a result.

If you're having trouble with corners, crouch walk sideways. The camera will pan to one side.

Mendrox

Tips for Chapter 10 Boss? Tried so many things and always get to Phase 2 where he just insta kills me. I just cant dodge him. I hate him.

Tips for Chapter 10 Boss? Tried so many things and always get to Phase 2 where he just insta kills me. I just cant dodge him. I hate him.

Just running directly to the side worked for me dodging him. There had to be a decent amount of room though. I know that's really simple advice but I died to him many times before I just started dodging directly to one side. Alternatively he doesn't seem to have a lot of health in that stage, so you could try just unloading with your grenades and best weapons.

Top Bottom