• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT2| Enchantress: Look! More hidden loot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenaxPure

Oh god, if they increase the level cap to 80 like they did with WoW: BC, I'm gonna start crying and then call it quits. Unless they invent some kind of magical item that lets you upgrade your gear with a x% increase of each stat to match up with lvl 80..

I haven't played WoW since Wrath and frankly, I don't remember much, but don't they have Tier gear sets with each level cap increase? That sounds like a decent way of working it out, except that it isn't how D3 works at all.. and implementing it sounds like it would be a huge mess.

WoW (and basically every other MMO in the same mold) functions by making better gear every few months. Items have their own level (literally called Item Levels) and each time there is a new raid or PVP season or whatever they introduce higher ilvl gear that has better stats than what the previous gear has. D3 doesn't function that way at all, when new gear is added to the game it still has the same stat ranges as the gear you could get before, it's not like the base stats of the item are going to roll higher like they would in a MMO.

Which is basically my point, since the stats are always the same in D3 there really isn't a need to just arbitrarily reset them by increasing the level cap. The only way I could see resetting our gear as acceptable would be if they made sweeping changes to the stat system again to the point where the stats on our gear were going to be worthless anyway.

Baliis

WoW (and basically every other MMO in the same mold) functions by making better gear every few months. Items have their own level (literally called Item Levels) and each time there is a new raid or PVP season or whatever they introduce higher ilvl gear that has better stats than what the previous gear has. D3 doesn't function that way at all, when new gear is added to the game it still has the same stat ranges as the gear you could get before, it's not like the base stats of the item are going to roll higher like they would in a MMO.

Which is basically my point, since the stats are always the same in D3 there really isn't a need to just arbitrarily reset them by increasing the level cap. The only way I could see resetting our gear as acceptable would be if they made sweeping changes to the stat system again to the point where the stats on our gear were going to be worthless anyway.

It should be noted that gear did used to be tied to level back on vanilla. They could try bringing that back a bit and see how it goes or something.

Insaniac

Found a Furnace on my Wizard the other day at 3100 DPS with a socket, decided to not roll a gift on it and just give a test run. After a few Grifts I found a new furnace at 3650 DPS. Glad I saved my last Gift.

Dahbomb

I don't care if they raise lvl cap to 80 and then make our gear useless but there has to be a good reason for it.

I feel that Loot 2.0 was a decent enough reason for it as it was mostly to curb the overpowered item combinations and put items more in line with each other (before you could have an item with almost all garbage stats vs an item with all 6 godly stats and now you get an item it usually has at least a couple of good stats on it).

As far as what they could do with patch 2.2 and beyond or an expansion... I have to imagine that PvP has to be in their minds now. Or at the very least PvEvP or something similar.

LOL @ this:

B0kWjA_CcAAtFSe.png

StMeph

They're going to raise the level cap and force a hard item reset.

The former because people like gaining levels, and they can tie new passives/actives with it. The latter is because everyone's gear is already pretty optimized. Some sets are already incredible, like Marauder with T&T. There would be no reason to chase new gear from the expansion unless it's head and shoulders above what already exists, which would mean extreme power creep anyway. Otherwise, it's not much of a loot grind if they only add 1 or 2 build-defining/enabling items to each class, or everyone only needs 1 or 2 items more to be immediately overpowered again.

The only way is to force another gear reset.

Dahbomb

I just hope they implement some stat crush type thing for the expansion because the numbers right now are pretty ludicrous. Characters are doing billions of damage and it's nearly impossible to keep track of on screen damage numbers. Without stat crush the numbers would reach into the trillions.

ZenaxPure

The problem with that logic though, is that if they released another expansion with a higher level cap it's not like Demon Hunters would be hunting down a new set, they would be hunting down level 80 versions of Marauder and T&T. M6 is like a 4-5x power increase since each sentry is stronger than the player. Gaining some new levels isn't going to change that.

Dahbomb

The problem with that logic though, is that if they released another expansion with a higher level cap it's not like Demon Hunters would be hunting down a new set, they would be hunting down level 80 versions of Marauder and T&T. M6 is like a 4-5x power increase since each sentry is stronger than the player. Gaining some new levels isn't going to change that.
Yeah but increasing cap gives them a reason to change up item stats, change up Legendary item affixes and implement more broad class changes without upsetting too many people.

If there's an expansion then you can bet that something like Marauders would be toned down. In fact I have to imagine that in 2.2 something is going to be done about it.

Insaniac

One of the biggest reasons I stopped playing Borderlands 2 was all the constant level cap increases. At a certain point, filling the bar gets old when you have to hunt for the level 70 or level 80 version of the Item you spent hours farming for in the first place, just so you can go back to playing the build you enjoy.

However, I'd gladly welcome a level cap increase if it meant access to new skills and stat rebalances and new items/sets that would lead to more varied builds, because then the time spent farming for new level 80 items would be worth it, rather than just grinding for another level 80 Furnace/TnT etc

Dahbomb

However, I'd gladly welcome a level cap increase if it meant access to new skills and stat rebalances and new items/sets that would lead to more varied builds, because then the time spent farming for new level 80 items would be worth it, rather than just grinding for another level 80 Furnace/TnT etc
That's pretty much what happened with the RoS expansion anyway. The only old item that people wanted a new version was Witching Hour... almost every other Legendary got surpassed by another item (Mempo) or the item itself was made weaker (Echoing Fury, Manticore).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
The experience of closing the gap between the gear you have and the gear you could have, at a tolerable pace, is the "fun" in a loot game.

If gear scaled with the player, so you hit level 80 and you already have level 80 gear, that skips that progression, and when the progression's done people leave (ref. 5/150 active).

The designers have to be stingy or we use up the game too quickly. Like it or not, not having things (but having expectation of being able to get them with a certain amount of effort) is what keeps people engaged. With that model, they'd have to rely on creating new legendary mechanics and shuffling around the OP builds so people have to find new sets and regear, and they've expressed a few times that creating that kind of content is hard. It has to be just a little better, a little different, or people will ignore it - but it can't be good enough that it eclipses all the other options so people feel they have to take that path to be an acceptable character.

The mudflation model works. People will complain about it, but they'll play.

Some way to level items from 70 to 80 could work, it's just a matter of balancing the effort so it's significant but not as hard as it was to originally find the item. It could even be in the same ballpark, but at least people have the security of having the item and just needing to level it up, rather than being doomed to wait a few months to find another T&T. Grind greater rifts and choose to level up an item at Urshi (maybe via item experience instead of %chances), something like that. Maybe you find a good level 80 item while working up and switch your build around that in the mean time.

I wonder if they'll ever adopt WoW's stat rating system. T&T is a good example of where items with percentage-based effects don't become obsolete when the item level cap increases.

Deadly

I just hope they implement some stat crush type thing for the expansion because the numbers right now are pretty ludicrous. Characters are doing billions of damage and it's nearly impossible to keep track of on screen damage numbers. Without stat crush the numbers would reach into the trillions.
Please this. People always request damage numbers but this is the exact example why it becomes stupid and useless.

As for items, if they don't introduce new items that tops what we have now, it'll be pretty shitty. We'd be stuck with M6 DH, FB wiz, SWK monk, Akkhan's crusader for the entirety of another expansion (I don't know the other classes BiS sets)? Terrible. People would basically play the story and then say fuck it. Why would you grind for the end gameplay to be exactly the same as it was 2 years ago? They'd have to introduce something much more interesting for endgame to keep players longer.

ZenaxPure

Yeah but increasing cap gives them a reason to change up item stats, change up Legendary item affixes and implement more broad class changes without upsetting too many people.

If there's an expansion then you can bet that something like Marauders would be toned down. In fact I have to imagine that in 2.2 something is going to be done about it.

I don't disagree at all, my point is simply that raising the level cap and an expansion doesn't accomplish that. Re-balancing the game does. If they want to re-balance stats and use a new level cap as a way to reset our gear I am all for that. But who knows if they actually will...

Because I mean let's be honest here, Reaper of Souls didn't actually change how we gear stat-wise. We still stack CHD and crit chance as much as we can. What changed is them adding items that can effect the power of a single ability so much that it becomes worth it to drop those stats. You mention Witching Hour which is a great example, Barbarians don't use Witching Hour because we have a belt that makes an ability so good we drop the 50% CHD from Witching Hour for it. Every other class doesn't have that option, thus they go with what gives them the most stats. If there wasn't a single legendary hat in the game with an orange effect (or any set hats), people would still be using Mempo as well (builds that needed attack speed anyway). Basically, Witching Hour is still only used because the game needs more belts with orange effects.

My tldr point with that is that unless the new expansion has a change as big as adding orange text onto items then our gearing habits won't change, again, and we will just be trying to get the same gear we had in RoS. The only realistic reason a level increase would be acceptable is if they wanted to change how stats work. I mean, think back to 2.0. Ignoring items that did not drop until level 61+, people were using the same gear at level 60 that they are at level 70. It was 100% reasonable for a Witch Doctor to get a really good Mask of Jeram and SMK at level 60, but, they had to replace it because some arbitrary level cap increase with the expansion. The only reason people didn't get outraged is because they only had that gear for 1 month, as opposed to the possibly 2 years they will have it in RoS.

Krassus

If the seasons are 6 months that should give them enough time to modify the meta through nerfs and adding new items / effects. They might add season only sets next time around and even add new content etc like Path of Exile does every major season patch.

ZenaxPure

If the seasons are 6 months that should give them enough time to modify the meta through nerfs and adding new items / effects. They might add season only sets next time around and even add new content etc like Path of Exile does every major season patch.

Seasons are only going to be 2-3 months (The first one anyway, they said future ones may be shorter). The process of gearing in D3 is very fast obviously so the shortened time gives people time to gear up and then compete on the leaderboard stuff for a while and then take a break until the next one.

That said, they have said in blue posts that they plan on introducing new sets into the game, so yeah, we will probably end up getting some through a season at some point.

Krassus

Damn so this season is about over then? Would be better imo especially if they have build changing uniques like pony shield etc to introduce.

StMeph

Damn so this season is about over then? Would be better imo especially if they have build changing uniques like pony shield etc to introduce.

Unrelenting Phalanx is already in the non-Season version of the game. The Seasonal Crusader shield is Frydehir's Wrath, which enables a Condemn build when paired with Blade of Prophecy.

Taz

Untill they remove Crit Damage % Crit Chance % , gear will always be stuck and unique builds will be limited because it will always be about that. Hopefully they totally change gear with the new expansion, they removed life steal and that went quite well so maybe they will change it up a lot more, to be fair they need to.

ZenaxPure

Seasons should've been over 2 months ago...

That would be REALLY interesting considering that the season isn't even 2 months old yet. Started August 29th. Won't be 2 months until next week.

Despite how fast you can gear up in the game it still takes a couple of months of incredibly hardcore playing to get enough paragon levels and perfect rolls in every single slot to reach the upper limits of what a class is capable of. The highest places on the seasonal GR leaderboard have been made in the past couple of weeks. Similar rankings on the non-seasonal leaderboards happened nearly a month ago.

Untill they remove Crit Damage % Crit Chance % , gear will always be stuck and unique builds will be limited because it will always be about that. Hopefully they totally change gear with the new expansion, they removed life steal and that went quite well so maybe they will change it up a lot more, to be fair they need to.

I miss when they were going to cap CHD when they first started talking about stat/gear changes in the expansion. Still lame they dropped that idea.

ZenaxPure

Woohoo, new thing to try. The Halcyon amulet might actually be useful for zDPS monks. (procs strongarms and taunts elites, making them use standard attacks instead of their affixes)

From this post talking about it for SMK WDs:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/2k4ruq/pet_doctor_halcyon_lock_build/

Oh damn, I had no idea it taunted enemies... That is crazy. I was curious about trying it because it seemed like it would be really easy to have 100% uptime on it with a SMK, but, I have not been playing my witch doctor much lately and the special effect on the ammy means you pretty much have to farm for it on the character you want to use it on, even as zdps. Might bring him out for some fun times next time I am online.

mercviper

Woohoo, new thing to try. The Halcyon amulet might actually be useful for zDPS monks. (procs strongarms and taunts elites, making them use standard attacks instead of their affixes)

From this post talking about it for SMK WDs:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo/comments/2k4ruq/pet_doctor_halcyon_lock_build/

It's something I'd been considering for my zDPS monk, but I wasn't sure if it was worth the benefit since you need to get Epiphany to an 8 second cooldown for 100% uptime, which is impossible. It also doesn't solve getting 1shot by electrified/firechains in the occasional .1 seconds of vulnerability you have due to input lag even at full CDR.

Raticus79

It's something I'd been considering for my zDPS monk, but I wasn't sure if it was worth the benefit since you need to get Epiphany to an 8 second cooldown for 100% uptime, which is impossible. It also doesn't solve getting 1shot by electrified/firechains in the occasional .1 seconds of vulnerability you have due to input lag even at full CDR.

Yeah, that unavoidable gap with the first serenity before you get your Gogok stacks really is a pain.

In practice I think it would still be useful for a monk, but opens up some really interesting options for WDs. I'll have to wait to try it out - turns out I didn't keep any of the few dozen I've found.

Dahbomb

It's only been 2 months? Damn feels like its been out forever!

But seriously though... 2 months is enough. That is to say, the Season should've been over by now (or at least by next week).

ZenaxPure

It's only been 2 months? Damn feels like its been out forever!

But seriously though... 2 months is enough. That is to say, the Season should've been over by now (or at least by next week).

I think 2 months is about the right length. Only one and you don't really have time to gather BiS type gear (with good rolls) and actually push a class in Greater Rifts. Plus having a reset every few weeks would lead to burn out faster (and one of the big reasons for seasons is another wall to slow down burnout). There is also the casual factor which Blizz always takes into consideration. I have a few friends playing seasons that are barely paragon 100 but still enjoy logging on every so often to get some time in... Kinda weird but whatever.

I suspect Blizz has been biding their time cause Blizzcon starts in 2 weeks. Probably plan to show off next season legendaries there and talk a bit about 2.2. They've been practically silent on the forums for the past couple of weeks.

MrDaravon

I think ideally unless they do something really dramatic with a particular Season, a typical one should run 6-8 weeks with ~2 weeks of downtime between them.

joesmokey

2 weeks of downtime isn't enough time for them to make any necessary changes in between seasons. They didn't even make proper changes from PTR to live.

It will be interesting to hear what their plans are for new seasons. If they'll only be doing a leaderboard/character wipe then starting over with the same data, I can't see this being sustainable (it's already almost dead).

XShagrath

Why should Blizzard care about burnout though? They already have people's money from the base game and RoS, so even if those people only played the game for one day, it shouldn't matter. In fact, the more people that play, the more it costs them money. Also, 95+% of people that don't play now will be right back with another expansion, even if just for a couple weeks. This isn't an MMO where they need to keep people playing month after month to get the subscription fees.

Personally, I'm just playing for about 15-20 minutes a day, doing a couple rifts and gaining 1 PL and then I'm done. I'm pretty bored with the game as-is, even though I'm not entirely geared (could use a couple super-rare items).

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Why should Blizzard care about burnout though? They already have people's money from the base game and RoS, so even if those people only played the game for one day, it shouldn't matter. In fact, the more people that play, the more it costs them money. Also, 95+% of people that don't play now will be right back with another expansion, even if just for a couple weeks. This isn't an MMO where they need to keep people playing month after month to get the subscription fees.

Personally, I'm just playing for about 15-20 minutes a day, doing a couple rifts and gaining 1 PL and then I'm done. I'm pretty bored with the game as-is, even though I'm not entirely geared (could use a couple super-rare items).

When you play a game for a long time because you like it you end up talking about it with other people, and your enthusiasm might drive them to buy it themselves.

ZenaxPure

When you play a game for a long time because you like it you end up talking about it with other people, and your enthusiasm might drive them to buy it themselves.

Yeah, even if there is no monetary reason to keep people coming back it's still important to keep them interested. 95% won't come back for another expansion otherwise RoS would have done way better than the 2.7 million in the first week when vanilla had sold a collective 12 million or whatever the insane number was over its life (and even if you take away the like 1 million WoW sub D3 owners you are still over 10 million sales of vanilla). An expansion doesn't automatically make people who aren't playing anymore come back.

Ayumi

A post for the lazy! New Statistics from: http://diablo.somepage.com/
These are just some of the new ones - you can find more statics at the link above.

Class Popularity for Level 70 Heroes
(Go here and hover over the red/blue color to check percentage)

• Here we see the popularity for each of the Diablo III classes, among the level 70 Diablo III characters who have played since the start of the Reaper of Souls expansion.
KqaPV6H.png

Paragon Account Distribution in Softcore Mode
(Go here and hover over the blue color to check percentage)

• Of the Diablo III accounts that have at least 1 softcore Paragon Level, most have 100+ Paragon Levels.
  • A tiny percentage of dedicated players are over the soft cap of 800 softcore Paragon Levels. See the Top Paragon Level Rankings for the accounts who have achieved the most!
mAn03zv.png

Paragon Account Distribution in Hardcore Mode

tE0Ur5p.png

Top 10 Shared Paragon Levels
Top 25 can be found here (pretty much the same as on DiabloProgress)
http://diablo.somepage.com/rating/shared-paragon

You can also compare these statistics with Patch 1.0.8 (Released: May 2013)
http://diablo.somepage.com/popular-1-0-8/paragon-distribution

Raticus79

I switched to my seasonal WD for a bit and found a serviceable Grin Reaper.

Interesting mechanics there - I didn't know those clones were so different from the clones from other items. They behave a lot like M6 turrets which cast your debuff cooldowns and damaging spenders. They aren't affected by limits on concurrent effects, so they can spam tons of spider queens, and you get a fresh horrify/mass confusion every time they respawn. They live for 5 seconds and it's possible to get full uptime with high enough attack speed. I'm going to try some stuff out and see how strong of a support build I can get out of it.

Some old guides:
http://www.reddit.com/r/Diablo3witchdoctors/comments/2ba2rn
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13140803953

Looks like for support purposes it's probably best to go with Vampire Bats for uptime on the clones, but I'll see how well it stays up with addling toads and high attack speed.

If I ever get a SMK, BBV would fit in fine as well and then I could take advantage of the interaction with Halcyon amulet too.

So I'm looking at something like:
Vampire Bats (or addling toads if the uptime is ok)
Spider Queen - worth checking, but I read that they didn't attack reliably. May have improved with the pet AI patch.
Horrify
Mass Confusion (the clones apparently cast it often, and the damage debuff stacks - need to confirm)
Zombie Dogs (for the TMF), or maybe BBV
Pirahnado or Wave of Mutilation (procs strongarms now)

with whatever fast 1H weapon I can get my hands on. Need to play around a bit and see which skills are the most useful, since I'll have to make room for Spirit Walk somewhere.

Edit: there we go, found a more recent post talking more about the support aspects. (from PTR days)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/13348785025

Lots of potentially interesting effects, like the 50% attack speed slow rune on Soul Harvest, and tons of outdated info. I don't think anyone figured out the mechanics behind when certain skills are used - I'll see if there's any similarities with the structure of sentry attack rotations. I'll try running some timed tests for skill frequency and to see if the improvements in average Ghom kill times match up with the predicted speed improvements from damage buff stacking. If so, it would be way better than Tiklandian from a group DPS perspective, but there would be gaps in the CC from Horrify and the Halcyon Amulet.

Have they said what will happen to seasonal jewel gems we leveled up once the season is over? The gems will have different levels than the duplicate version in our regular stash. I don't think it's just going to combine levels or give you a % of the levels for a n increase. I don't see how they can even let you roll again for level increases since I'm assuming we will not have duplicate versions in our stash.

I guess but at that point you will just salvage the lowest level duplicate. Everything else carries over from seasons including some paragon levels that you earned. Just seems strange the leveled gems for jewelry will just duplicate but nothing happens with the level. Would be nice to get something from the levels. Could possibly give you keystone trials out of the levels from a salvaged gem.

Raticus79

You can have duplicate legendary gems in your stash.

Yup, if you want multiple gems, just leave the one you want on another character and keep the rest in your stash or on the character you're playing. Any which aren't in your stash or on your current character will drop on the next GR.

Complistic

So, I'm level 22 on my first new character since a couple months after the game came out, and I've had 4 legendary drops so far. Is this unusual?

Also, wizard rules now. Though I imagine all the characters are more fun to play than they were at launch.

And I joined the gaf community, but it's still pending. Dunno if anyone can help me with that.

Raticus79

So, I'm level 22 on my first new character since a couple months after the game came out, and I've had 4 legendary drops so far. Is this unusual?

Also, wizard rules now. Though I imagine all the characters are more fun to play than they were at launch.

And I joined the gaf community, but it's still pending. Dunno if anyone can help me with that.

Sure, I sent the invitation. Check the next time you're on.

---

I was just looking at the blood shard gambling spreadsheet and wow, Starmetal Kukri is one of the hardest items to get at about 1 in 250,000 shards. Compared to 1 in 175,000 for the furnace, 16,000 for Tasker and Theo, and 10,000 for Tiklandian Visage.

Meanwhile, the Marauder's set pieces are all around 1 in 1,500, so you can get the 6 piece set in about the same number of rifts as it takes for just the Tiklandian Visage. That explains why I was able to get mine so quickly, sheesh.

ZenaxPure

I was just looking at the blood shard gambling spreadsheet and wow, Starmetal Kukri is one of the hardest items to get at about 1 in 250,000 shards. Compared to 1 in 175,000 for the furnace, 16,000 for Tasker and Theo, and 10,000 for Tiklandian Visage.

Which makes it all the more crazy I got a SMK in less than 1000 shards of trying.

Was entirely unexpected. It's such a ridiculously powerful weapon though.

Been taking a break from my DH and gearing up a Monk. Ran a tonne of rifts the past few nights with the help of a few friendly people in the Monk community carrying me through T6. Managed to get 4 piece SWK(with RoRG, spare one from my DH) but I still need to get the Amulet so I can switch the SWK Helm I am using the the nicely rolled Eye of Peshkov I found. I also need to get new Shoulders as I have a wasted stat on there(RCR) that I want to be Vit instead. Rolled a skill damage % I don't use to CDR already though. I definitely need a better SOJ or something but it was just a spare I had that I found on my DH so I chucked it on there.

So far across DH and now Monk I have been trying to get a Witching Hour since ROS launch, nothing. This would really help bring my CHD back up on both Monk and DH after sacrifing some for sockets on Jewellery.

Anyways, here is my Monk after effectively 3 days serious playtime SINCE 70. I'd love any suggestions from the more experienced Monk players in here.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/VWdrewzBie-6802/hero/44923344

Lazyslob

Banned
Sure, I sent the invitation. Check the next time you're on.

---

crazy i got a starmetal super quick and ive been playing witch doctor for months and i still havent got a tasker and theo. i do good damage without it but man if i had it! a guy can dream.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I'm moving and having a visit, so i will be offline for a few weeks

ZenaxPure

I actually managed to find a Wand of Woh tonight, believe it or not. Only 7 months late...

Found one on my monk a couple of nights ago too.

Apparently I should have just been playing monk all this time to gear up my wizard, managed to find a Sparker and Woh on him in the past couple of weeks.

Got an item that allows enchantress to use all her spells instead of one from each category. Also found a unity ring and thinking of adding it to her once I get a second. For unity it's mainly for you and your follower is that correct? I guess if you create a party with friends that have it you could use it then but for random matchmaking most players will not be using it.

ZenaxPure

Got an item that allows enchantress to use all her spells instead of one from each category. Also found a unity ring and thinking of adding it to her once I get a second. For unity it's mainly for you and your follower is that correct? I guess if you create a party with friends that have it you could use it then but for random matchmaking most players will not be using it.

To get the double unity setup you need to also have the token that makes your follower immune to damage or else they will die the first time you take damage and it gets split. It's not really great for multiplayer games because you just end up killing each other most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom