• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shelter 2 announced.

Vert boil

Might and Delight's next game will be Shelter 2. This time it revolves around a Lynx family.

Teaser Trailer

http://mightanddelight.com/index.php?page=shelter2

"The essence of Shelter as a concept is keeping your family alive," said Might and Delight CEO Anders Westin, "But we have decided to let the animal itself set the pace and character of the gameplay. The badger translated into a slow and linear journey - with the lynx however, Shelter 2 will become a much more forceful experience, where improving your techniques for hunting prey takes a much bigger role."

Shelter 2 includes more complicated gameplay than its predecessor, with movement and agility being much more integral to the game. As well as keeping an eye on your general stamina, you'll have to watch out for your cubs, calling them closer, ushering towards water to drink, and picking them up by the scruff of their neck when they get too mischievous. The open world is also much larger, apparently.

On the art side Shelter 2 seems to be just as pretty as the original, and it again features music by Retro Family, who did a wonderful job last time around.

"The beauty of nature goes hand in hand with its unforgiving rawness. That is central in Shelter 2, and one of the reasons we chose to make a game about a Lynx. They are in middle of the food chain, and there are far more vicious things out on the cold tundra.” says Anders Westin.

The game will be released on Steam, GOG, and other digital platforms in fall 2014.
http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/27637/might-and-delight-working-on-shelter-2

mightdelightutannonse77j2a.jpg

mightdelightutannonse9tkss.jpg

mightdelightutannonse8jjm7.jpg

mightdelightutannonseg4j1c.jpg
http://www.gamereactor.se/nyheter/152314/Might+and+Delight+utannonserar+Shelter+2/

Few more from the official site. They are all available there at a higher res as well,

wouwie

Looks great. I never played the original but i might get this one if it runs ok on my laptop.

Since the game is made in Unity, hopefully Might&Delight will consider bringing these games to consoles again in the future. Apparently, they had a hard time developing for PS3/X360 but times seem to have changed in a sense that development should be a lot easier for the new platforms (PS4/Xbox One), especially when using Unity.

ChryZ

I just finished the first Shelter just a few days ago. Surprisingly brief experience, that didn't overstayed its welcome. It took me 50-60 minutes to complete the play through. Nice art style, music, sound design with pretty minimalistic gameplay mechanics.

I'd definitely love to see more.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Sorry for the bump - I just found out about this game's existence today. What an absolutely gorgeous look; they've outdone themselves after the first one. And what an unexpected sequel as well... I guess I always assumed it'd be a standalone thing. Thumbs up on playing as a Lynx though; I'll be there.

Schlomo

Amazing art style! This also reminds me I still have to play the first one I bought on a recent Steam sale...

I always wonder why doing things like this in polygonal graphics isn't explored more. Okami, Mad World, Jet Set Radio, Skyward Sword... Only a handful of titles have experimented with more artful or abstract rendering/shader (?) techniques.

1cmanny1

If they actually listened to the feedback, they have the potential to make this game a 10/10 experience for new players.

Tbh, I am not a fan of the art style. If you make it too painting like, it is harder to get attached to the animals.

SerTapTap

Hope it has better checkpoints. Couldn't get back into it after playing for a half hour, quitting and finding myself at the literal start of the game. Also faster movement. Love the look, could hardly bear to play it though.

trinest

Saw the steam page a week or so ago, didn't even know Shelter 2 existed. Can't wait, the original was amazing and from the sounds of it they are making it less linier and more what I was expecting from the original rather then a mind fuck.

Vert boil

Looks like some numbnut bumped the thread a little too early.

The new newsletter came out and the game is delayed,
Bugs and delay

All of this work is driving us forward at a strong pace, but a lot of problems are cropping up. With the large world and a lot of objects the optimization is really becoming something we need to work on. We are also focusing on making sure that all the features run smoothly and without hiccups. Pathfinding is sometimes problematic as animals sometimes forget to run away from you as you hunt them, or decide to just run towards you and get eaten.

Because of these issues we will not be releasing the game as planned in August, but we will be pushing it back further into Fall. While this this decision is disappointing we hope that you can see that it is beneficial for everyone, as the game will be much better for it. Your experience comes first and we really want you to love our game as much as we do.

More info in the newsletter and a swanky gif of the seasonal variance they have in the game.

Top Bottom