• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Codemasters announced Toybox Turbos for PC - X360 and PS3

thelastword

Banned
The decisions these guys have made so far are quite puzzling ( wanted to use a harsher term, but oh well....). First they released grid autosport, only on last gen consoles, when even a basic 1080p 30fps port would have relieved an itch to both the xbox one and PS4 gamers. There weren't that many notable racers on either platform at the time, it would have garnered at least nfs rivals numbers or close.

Now they're releasing this on the last gen consoles again, when the PS4 is in the limelight and known as an indie friendly machine, even the XBONE have loosened up on the indie games scene. How much do these guys expect to sell on last gen consoles where the majority of people have since moved on from?

Micro Machines without the license? I'll take it!

top down racers are my weakness

It is odd that they are sticking with PS3 and 360 though... what year is this again?

I've been waiting for another Micro Machines since V3 (V4 was crap) and its on last gen only :(

Damn...should I get it for 360 or wait to see if they go next gen? Hmmmm.

Shahed

Loved Micro Machines on the Mega Drive. So much fun. Favourite thing was the track editor. Loved creating ramps with wind that would blow people inside a cup or bowl! Micro Machines v4 on PS2 was awesome as a kid as well. So many games with the family.

Sadly I'll have to let this one go though. My PS3 is staying in my cupboard

Jamesways

Man, their racing games have really gotten arcadey/casual.

Huh? Heh? Hmmm?

Ok, terrible joke.

CM, please wow us all with Dirt 4 soon.

Still enjoy your games, will wait patiently for next gen F1, Grid, & Dirt.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I don't remember PS2 getting quite so much love when the PS3 was out (but I am ready to admit that that might be nostalgia goggles in effect.)
Uh, yeah, you're definitely misremembering. It took a good 2 years for PS2-gen development to really shift out definitively, there were still scores PS2-only releases in and past that time period. More if you consider the heaps of clearly-developed-for-PS2 games getting quick and dirty Wii ports as their "next-gen" representation.

Haunted

Sure, I'll take a replacement for Mashed on PC. All the other top down racing games inspired by micro machines haven't managed to dethrone that yet (imo).

Kasper

A shame they're not putting this out on the Vita. Seems like the type of game I'd like to play in short bursts, which doesn't exactly fit with how I use my PC or my PS3.

tsab

Micro Machines without the license?!!
Loved MM on Master System and the V3 on Psx

GMQQx1

kd7qDM

PS3 and 360 only again. Great job Codemasters.

I get the decision to not bring GRID and F1 to the new generation. They're big games, they probably started life back when take-up on the new consoles was an unknown and they will want to put good effort into making the new gen engine/games and they didn't want to jump ahead of time and out of budget.

That's fine.

But this is a small title. I see little reason not to bring it to the new consoles. Smaller title, less people, less financial outlay - less risk.

It will also allow them to use it as a test project for the new consoles where they can feed their learnings of the consoles into the development of the future GRID, DiRT, F1 games just like other studios have done with the remasters.

Moozo

This looks like a concept game they created when trying out the dev tools for the new generation, except...

Hey Codemasters. These new consoles are pretty great, and millions of people with expendable income already own them, and that number is growing very quickly. Might want to think about that.

Do people even buy Micro Machines any more? Wikipedia says the brand died in 2006 which is kind of a bummer. Matchbox is still going but they look plastic and cartoony.

Power ups I can see so far:
Tommy gun
Magnet
Rocket boost
Hammer
Snow plough
Mine
Possibly some sort of shield?

Press release talks of an air strike that levels the playing field. Hope it isn't a spin on the blue shell. If they put a golf car in then I hope they're making a miniature golf track.

18 circuits, for the price you have to imagine they are remixing or reversing half of those:

School
Laboratory
Kitchen
Battlefield
Train set
Snooker table

Top Bottom