• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VideoGamer.com Video Preview of Sunset Overdrive

I'm beggining to understand why Adam Sessler up and left Rev3Games. Probably was disgusted by all of this draconian control over Youtube videos with NDAs and crap.

I'm pretty sure Sessler left because he found the community toxic. He's still working in Videogames, just not much as a visible figurehead.

Etnos

Banned
It seems so many are invested in seeing this game fail. People suddenly bringing out the "I know a guy who knows a guy who played the game" just screams counter-marketing agenda to me, considering that's being thrown around with no proof whatsoever. Honestly I think that's unfair, whether this was going out for a Sony, Nintendo or MS console....this (videogamer) site isn't the only review site out there.

It's completely videogames.com's right to not like the game, but I really wouldn't dismiss the game entirely based on one site. If we readers are asked to give DriveClub a chance even with its flurry of 6's, why not Sunset Overdrive as well?

Because fanboys.... btw I'm admit Im a xbox fanboy, that hasn't stopped me of owning sony consoles and enjoy the good exclusives they have.

abadguy

Banned
The multiplayer portion called Chaos Squad.

Not sure how it negated any of the problems the guys at videogamer.com had with the campaign like some are claiming though.
You mean like how they claimed the traversal was slow when the streams showed it not to be the case at all or claiming nothing happens most of the time when again it was shown not to be the case.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Was pony a misspelling of phoney by misterx originally?
Or does it have another meaning?

It rhymes with Sony. It doesn't need to go deeper, it's schoolyard grade crap.

bigmac996

Upload some clips please, I want to see how the frame-rate is.

And was there any day one update? Size? What does it do, etc?

Here's a clip I just recorded. Framerate is really nice and consistent, havent noticed a single dip. Seems to increase in cutscenes too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpwOoGdrB44&list=UUk60Bwcdnt81Quy7krP6zBQ&index=1

There was a single day one update, took no time to dl, can't remember how large.

Does this mean we can put our credit cards away now

Or are we still keeping them handy

Means it's gonna be a very divisive game I think. If you like the infamous games you'll get some value out of this. Keep in mind I haven't played very much. Plan to get on it again today.

UrbanRats

It does seem a bit dull, from the media i've seen, which is a shame because i was 100% behind the premise.
For example, a game like Bayonetta looks like 10 times crazier and faster than this game, i wish they would just go all out on that front.

Also, their part about Assassin's Creed 3 is spot on, as a side note. :p

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Funny seeing this thread pop up again after yesterday's streams pretty much made the Videogamer.com preview look kinda silly.
You mean like how they claimed the traversal was slow when the streams showed it not to be the case at all or claiming nothing happens most of the time when again it was shown not to be the case.

Did you watch the video? I had to go back and watch it through again because a couple of things stood out to me after reading your posts.

They talk about the traversal but I didn't catch any part where they said it was slow. They include it amongst other things they consider "dull", noting that it doesn't really challenge the player to stay on the rail like, for example, a Tony Hawk game where you're required to actively balance. Rather, you just jump on and you're stuck to it, and that's kind of it.

They also don't make a claim that "nothing happens most of the time", in fact they claim the exact opposite. Quote from the video: "And there's loads of shit going on all the time, but none of it ever really feels... [...] tedious combat, it's got no spark, endless rail running". This seems perfectly in line with their experience, as they tell it, of the game being dull.

Their experience may differ greatly from mine or yours, but I don't see how their experience could be proven wrong or contradicted, if that's how they feel about the first two hours.

They talked about this preview in their latest podcast, where they stipulate that their opinions are based solely on the first two hours (as per the NDA), and maintain that it's fucking boring initially. He points out that the humour sends up how tedious training missions are, but that it still makes you do a tedious training mission.

Dabanton

Someone on my friends list is playing this right now, watched his broadcast for 10 mins then forced my self to turn it off.

Game looked great, he was fighting an enemy I hadn't seen before...

jacobeid

Banned
Game looks good but I took it off of my gamefly list. I bought The Evil Within and Bayonetta, plus MCC comes out soon. I'll get to this next year on the cheap. Sorry Insomniac.

Anion

There is being a fan and then there is being a fanboy.
Fanboys seem to spend a lot of time attacking/putting down the other system, rather than just enjoying their favoured console.
That's a bit weird to me.
Well said. I was going to say this.

Betty

Banned

I don't really remember them saying much about slow traversal.

I do remember them going on about how they found the experience boring, that the characters were unlikeable, that the grinding took no skill to pull off unlike Tony Hawk, that the auto aim and infinite respawns effectively created little challenge, that the game would point out bad video game design tropes while making you undergo those exact bad video game tropes itself and how for minutes at a time you could be going through the city without encountering anything, at all, what so ever.

Still they were only 2 hours in and hadn't tried multi yet, and they were hoping their opinion would change.

Duxxy3

I'm pretty sure Sessler left because he found the community toxic. He's still working in Videogames, just not much as a visible figurehead.

Part of it is that, and it's also because he has to be so connected when doing reviews on the web. When he was doing reviews on television, the connection to the internet, and everything that comes with it, was not as brutal and direct.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Did you watch the video? I had to go back and watch it through again because a couple of things stood out to me after reading your posts.

They talk about the traversal but I didn't catch any part where they said it was slow. They include it amongst other things they consider "dull", noting that it doesn't really challenge the player to stay on the rail like, for example, a Tony Hawk game where you're required to actively balance. Rather, you just jump on and you're stuck to it, and that's kind of it.

while they show endless footage of them doing nothing but dully running on the ground or endless grinding one rail back and forth... the point being, traversal can be slow and boring if you lack imagination, skill, incentive, or motivation to push it beyond the base level.

the streams yesterday, showing skilled players actively negotiating the world, looked fast, crazy, and fun. none of which was seen or discussed in the videogamer preview of the OP.

Top Bottom