• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2014 Edition

Mathi

crappy pics taken with my crappy phone and crappy lighting.

Whoever designed this place apparently tought that no one would ever use a tv bigger than 20", because it was originally supposed to go in the small compartment in the left corner. Placing the tv in front of the cabinet was a temporary solution at first, but now it's been there for many years and I'm too lazy to change it.

OgvGMfg.jpg

T0gB4P6.jpg

QHTQqbu.jpg

Rearranged my man cave so updating pics. The rooms only 10ft by 10ft so its cosy.

If your screen size is limited by the projector's throw range at that distance (and want bigger!) you can do what I did in a small room. Flip the projector backwards onto a mirror. Your screen could be as wide as the wall.

Kaname

Whoever designed this place apparently tought that no one would ever use a tv bigger than 20", because it was originally supposed to go in the small compartment in the left corner. Placing the tv in front of the cabinet was a temporary solution at first, but now it's been there for many years and I'm too lazy to change it.

Wow, despite your issues it looks awesome man :O
Love the showcase for movies and is that a canvas or a poster?

Mathi

Thanks! The Deathwing one? Yes, that's a canvas print on a 4cm frame. I have quite a few of them, they look great, sadly the pics don't do them justice.

hitsugi

What tank is that? Is the lighting built into the cover? I have a reptile tank, and the lights that have to sit on top of it are so damn unsightly.

Cozy!

Also, Dutch?
Edit: German if I look at a title of one of your movies. Your room looked typically Dutch to me.;)

Kaname

Thanks! The Deathwing one? Yes, that's a canvas print on a 4cm frame. I have quite a few of them, they look great, sadly the pics don't do them justice.

Woah just noticed the Battle Royale poster. I must have it. Where did you buy it?

Mathi

What tank is that? Is the lighting built into the cover? I have a reptile tank, and the lights that have to sit on top of it are so damn unsightly.
It's a Juwel Rio fish tank and the lighting is indeed built into the cover. Looks like this. I don't think I've ever seen it any other way, but then again I never had a reptile tank.

Cozy!

Also, Dutch?
Edit: German if I look at a title of one of your movies. Your room looked typically Dutch to me.;)
Thanks! I had to look around for a moment to see what gave me away. Damn you, Sieben! I should've bought the uk version ;). German is correct, we have cozy rooms, too!

Woah just noticed the Battle Royale poster. I must have it. Where did you buy it?
Haha, I bought that ages ago, around the time the movie came out in Europe, but they still have it in stock. It's a german shop though :(

vvise

Now that I got a beautiful new 70", I finished a 3D mockup of the new shelf I plan on building for my system. Will post pics when I get it completed.

Bx84pBeCEAE1DUX.png:large

Lucent

3FjOzNz.png

They're going to have to release a smaller Xbox One if they want me to add one of those...

Was thinking about getting one of these for my living room. I see it's only $79 on Ikea but I was just wondering what the build quality is like. Is it solid? Does it scuff and/or peel off?

Was thinking about getting one of these for my living room. I see it's only $79 on Ikea but I was just wondering what the build quality is like. Is it solid? Does it scuff and/or peel off?

Yep, they definitely scruff and peel. They are really easy to do so as well ;(

Akomix

Ohh my that Arthas statue is beautiful. I don't even want to know how much that costs. Love the set-up.

iALX

nope got it from amazon, search ford B&D XXL store on german amazon, they have a lot of these pics and in different sizes and shapes too

octobot

New TV arrived on Tuesday so I can finally share pics of my setup (power cable is only visible temporarily, just need to hook up the outlet/pass through behind the tv)

TV - Vizio P702ui-B3
AVR - Onkyo TX-NR636
Speakers - Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.1
Console - Destiny edition PS4
10251960_10154655176040525_3600775514523906099_n.jpg

1977258_10154655175920525_3815195550960903046_n.jpg

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
I see all these great setups in living rooms, with beautiful couches and perfectly symmetrical entertainment centres beneath lovely, large TVs, but all I think is how far away from the TV you're sitting. When I get a house I will have a similar setup in my living room for music and video, but i think I prefer a man cave with both TV and monitors, to do my console and pc gaming in. :)

(Not directed at anyone in particular, just an observation I made for myself)

iALX

once you get all comfy in sofa, no way you are ever gonna play in front of a PC monitor :), or you could with wireless gamepad and PC hooked to large TV :D hehehe

regarding viewing distance google for optimal viewing distance for LCD TV, there is a calculator and whole theory about how it is calculated etc

I have a 42 inch tv, sitting from it at exactly 2.45m, judgung by that calcutlator it is optimal. But everytime I set up a new room or TV I like to trust my own eyes, always best option

Apath

Just got an iPhone 6 so I decided to test out the camera by taking pictures of my room and post them to this thread, as I've always liked combing through here to check out how everyone does their gaming setups.

My computer setup:
- Surface Pro 2 i5 128GB
- Surface Dock
- 22" Acer LCD Monitor
- Microsoft Arc Touch Mouse SE

I also hook up my iPhone 6 Plus by the lamp (formerly my iPad mini), but cannot show that for obvious reasons.

My main gaming setup:
- 42" LG 3D LED TV
- PS4

Also have a 500GB Western Digital external hard drive plugged into the LG with all of my old ripped DVDs.

Figure I should also add in a shot of how they look together:

Bonus picture of someone who was curious while I was taking pictures:

Archaonlotr

Neo Member
My Fanboi Sony love affair setup

TV: KDL65W850A
Reciever: Onkyo TX-SR705
PS4 + PS3 FAT (60Gb) + PS3 Super Slim
Speakers: Harmon Kardon HKTS 18 (3.0) - no sub in apartments ever! i like my neighbors to much :)

15532472522_cb956dcfa3_o.jpg

Pjsprojects

The Dad den.

jbaUOvPA9OYEcp_xs.jpg

Hope to change the small tv for another another 24" monitor soon.

Pc works either the 24" monitor or triple screen.Xbox one centre tv,PS4 centre tv or small tv.All running in 5.1.

Only bad thing is I need a nice chair and for some odd reason my kids friends all seem to end up at our house.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
To all you guys who have their consoles in the living room. Do you have families? If so, do you ever get to play? :)
I mean, it looks fantastic with the consoles under those large TVs in the living room, but our living room is typically used for watching TV, movies, listening to music or simply talking. I would basically have to kick out people to be able to fully game in there.

Really nice Kenak! Like your setup a lot.

And to the guy that posted that 3D drawing of their TV unit above, looks awesome! I really like that you've designed to make room for the PS4 standing up. IMO the console looks absolutely fantastic standing up, and boring as hell lying down.

DryvBy

I just sent my wife this post. I love this setup. I need to fix up my gaming room (games all over the place right now).

ehnox

Someone here asked me to post my little but wellcoming bedroom. Not a good photographer though.

gHM3MMH.jpg

64dT8mw.jpg

vcNgZM9.jpg

ZSylpdY.jpg

2hxTi5M.jpg

My favorite *-*
lPaPgi2.jpg

yhJT7eE.jpg

MppnFDj.jpg

SI6FqyO.jpg

octobot

These TVs are just huuuuge!

Too bad I don't have the space for a bigger TV for the next 5 years. Will stick with 50" :p

My wife and I got a new house in July. I joke and say my reason for wanting a new house was to have a wall large enough for the new tv.

Oh, there isn't a wall behind that. The shelf is meant to split a big room in half. Thanks for the tip though :)

ah no worries. It's difficult in my situation as i have a 1 bedroom apartment and a 1500w rated class A sub - finding a foot on each side to clear it from every surface is very difficult!

dodgeme

I don't believe I've shared any pictures of my retro set up in here recently so I figured I'd give you guys a quick shot of it.
This was actually put together fairly recently. I had gotten into the CRT Retro gaming thread that is floating around in here and happened to find a small 8 inch JVC studio monitor and it got me hooked so I looked around and found this 14" Olympus OEV143 monitor which is actually just a Sony PVM rebranded. Currently, the SNES, Genesis, N64, and Saturn are hooked up via RGB, I did RGB mod the N64 for this specifically. The PS2 is hooked up via component and anything else I may swap in has to go via Composite.

If you've never experience some of these older games and even PS2 on a good CRT monitor via RGB/Component you are really missing out.

On top of that, sound is stereo, driven by an old Phillips Receiver I picked up a while back.

Heres a few close-ups of games to give a quick idea of the image quality this can put out.

PS2 Title Screen via Component
PYgYl1T.jpg

SNES
bUp2ItQ.jpg

Genesis
jTcS3cc.jpg

ehnox

I don't believe I've shared any pictures of my retro set up in here recently so I figured I'd give you guys a quick shot of it.

If you've never experience some of these older games and even PS2 on a good CRT monitor via RGB/Component you are really missing out.

On top of that, sound is stereo, driven by an old Phillips Receiver I picked up a while back.

Heres a few close-ups of games to give a quick idea of the image quality this can put out.

Nice setup, I loved your sega cd , I totally agree with you, at first I tought S-video was the best conection for these consoles, once I got my hands on a BVM and saw RGB for the very first time... I vomited rainbows! The PS2 component output are amazing, and I never tought n64 games looked so beautifull. I am replaying everything in glorious RGB!

Peltz

Agreed about the studio RGB monitors. I just got one as a bedside companion:

10612767_10100864019065770_8495499005071543702_n.jpg

I've never really seen retro graphics look so perfect before setting it up. It beats the XRGB Mini in my opinion.

Perhaps I should contribute as well.

Here's my terrible setup. The shelf sucks because it can't fit all my consoles. I need something more custom but that requires more cash to spend. Can't fit my soon to come PVM next to the hdtv either, so this setup is far from complete.

aNl7Plt.jpg

tenz0r

Perhaps I should contribute as well.

Here's my terrible setup. The shelf sucks because it can't fit all my consoles. I need something more custom but that requires more cash to spend. Can't fit my soon to come PVM next to the hdtv either, so this setup is far from complete.

http://i.imgur.com/aNl7Plt.jpg

I want to come over and organize your wiring lol because that would drive me crazy O_O. You should look at IKEA if you have one around you. They have some good TV furniture for cheap that might be able to hold all your consoles.

Mounting your TV and soundbar would be another option to save space. You can get TV mounts for pretty cheap these days.

Edit: On second glance, you have plenty of space on the bottom row being occupied by the power cords. A little wiring organizing would fix that and free up that space to put more consoles.

sp3ctr3

Finally finished my tiny game room (6 m2 ~ 60sq.ft). I'm not a fan of clutter and wires everywhere, so I spent some extra time tidying up and running cables in trays. I dredd the day that I have to open it all up again to fit a PS4 or Xbox One...

image_3.jpeg

Retro Setup: (B&O MX6000 + GameCube/Super NES/PSTwo)
image_4.jpeg

Modern Setup: (Sony KDL-40EX500 + Wii U Premium/Xbox 360/i3 HTPC)
image_5.jpeg

Race Setup: (Samsung LE32B455 + Logitech G27 on a Wheelstand Pro + Sportsseat)
foto.JPG

On the other side I have some build in shelves that holds my games, arcade sticks etc. and the boxes on the bottom holds controllers, guns etc. for my systems.
image_6.jpeg

image_7.jpeg

and in my single/tiny closet is may Guitar Hero stuff and a basket full of arcade parts (sticks/buttons/encoders/pcb's)
image_8.jpeg

Top Bottom