• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that you're surprised are so cheap or so expensive

womp

I saw Pokemon White 2 at Target today for $10.48, though Black 2 was $34.99 so it might have been an error. >.>

I found a copy of it in their preowned section and price matched it for $10.48. Thing was practically new....even the Club Nintendo code worked.

Bog

Junior Ace
Plenty of Nintendo games.

Like, Metroid Other M is $80. Wtf?
iQhaI4L4C5FTA.png

You can also still find some DS games that are $40.

Other M is the only Nintendo published game I ever saw at Five Below. Yes, that means it was $5. And they had tons.

Any Steam sale (AAA) game ever.

The only thing that comes close is when the DreamCast died and retail was selling the consoles for $50 or less and games for next to nothing.

Yesterday, I bought Strider 2 for the original Playstation for 99 cents. I don't know if that is the going price for it, but I thought that was cheap.

Glowsquid

Where are you seeing this? It's $25 shipped on Amazon for a complete copy. In the US, at least.

should have added "in Canada". Lowest copy on Amazon.ca is $43 disc-only and $20 disc only on ebay ca (most copies in the $30-$40 range), which is not *quite* as expensive as what I wrote in that post but still a lot more than I'd expect from a cruddy obscure licensed game.

Hedgey

should have added "in Canada". Lowest copy on Amazon.ca is $43 disc-only and $20 disc only on ebay ca (most copies in the $30-$40 range), which is not *quite* as expensive as what I wrote in that post but still a lot more than I'd expect from a cruddy obscure licensed game.

Canadian Amazon pricing is complete garbage. I would never buy something from there.

Who

Banned
Xenoblade Chronicles and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I bought MP Trilogy for $30 the day after I bought my Wii. I HATED the motion controls. I just wanted at least the option to play the first two games with a Gamecube controller, but it didn't even offer that, so I took it back to EB Games and told them it "just doesn't work...every other games works in my Wii, but this doesn't". Total lie, but I got my money back, and they probably turned around and sold it for double that. I can't believe people enjoy those controls.

I've never played Xenoblade because I don't feel I can afford it.

Did you try playing with your arm outstretched like in a Wii commercial? I feel like you tried playing it with your arm outstretched like in a Wii commercial. There's a certain way to play FPS on Wii and it's quite fun and relaxing.

On topic: Twilight Princess. That's Nintendo for us though.

I had no problem with the motion controls in Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I need to get Pokemon Black before the Nintentax activates and it goes to $50 minimum. Nintendo games are generally bad about this, and I can't find my Gamecube version of Twilight Princess, which is substantially more expensive than the Wii version last time I checked.

Baust

I've found a lot of DS games under $5 brand new in bargain bins: Rhythm Heaven, Warioware DIY, and Elite Beat Agents.

All great games at a great value.

The best overpriced game I ever saw was City of heroes at walmart. The game was 39.99. The kicker here is that the game was already shut down. I fell bad for some kid who thought it looked cool without knowing he could never play it.

eXistor

This year I've bought the Might & Magic X Collector's edition, retail version (comes with art cards, soundtrack, cardboard housing and cloth map) for €18,- I think I played the game for 70 or 80 hours and it could well be my GOTY. Best deal ever if you ask me.

Choomp

Banned
Damn, I really shouldn't have sold my copy of Valkyria Chronicles a few years ago. That thing is becoming a collector's item.

Found me a copy for like 19 bucks, so maybe things are different where you are?

Wii and DS games seem to refuse to drop in price around here. It's damn annoying when I'm looking for something to play on Wii for cheap.

The only thing that comes close is when the DreamCast died and retail was selling the consoles for $50 or less and games for next to nothing.

I'm trying to find it, but I picked up Blitz for free from a K-Mart about a year after they stopped selling. It was in one of the bargain bins with other console games. I couldn't tell if an extra number had just not been print on the receipt because the ink was off-center so I went to the register and it came up as $0.00. She ran a price check, manager came to check it out, and said just to give it to me.

He said they generally had processes where things that aren't going to be sold are given back to suppliers, transferred to other stores to try making at least a little profit, or donated via the head office.

Damn, I really shouldn't have sold my copy of Valkyria Chronicles a few years ago. That thing is becoming a collector's item.

Ahem, the Gamestop down the road from me has five new copies of it for a mere $15. (As of when Smash 3DS came out, that is - I don't know, maybe 5 lucky people who could have bought it at launch are basking in the glory of it by now)

It's no Xenoblade - Or as some others said, Valkyrie Profile if you accidentally meant that.

SerTapTap

Mega Man Legends 2 and Tronne Bonne were my first thoughts. I was surprised to be able to grab Ghost Trick, MM, MMX and MMZ collections for cheap (PS2, PS2 and DS respectively) recently. Ghost Trick I figured would have gotten a low print run, was very glad to get it cheap.

Not sure I'm surprised since lolprintruns, but the high price of Folklore is a travesty considering it's situation. It's not THAT old, for a system still supported, yet has no digital copies and is quite expensive to get your hands on, game deserves better than to be ignored for price. I have a copy, but it still makes me sad.

Plenty of Nintendo games.

Like, Metroid Other M is $80. Wtf?
iQhaI4L4C5FTA.png

You can also still find some DS games that are $40.

You can get Other M for dirt cheap. New prices for old games aren't always indicative of value, especially not in physical stores. It's $15 new on amazon right now.

prateeko

I had no problem with the motion controls in Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I need to get Pokemon Black before the Nintentax activates and it goes to $50 minimum. Nintendo games are generally bad about this, and I can't find my Gamecube version of Twilight Princess, which is substantially more expensive than the Wii version last time I checked.

Had my sealed copy stolen many years back. Went to ebay to find a replacement. Was devastated.

Pokemon SoulSilver and HeartGold CIB with Pokewalker. Something like $80?

Craziness.

Yeah, I have a pair new. Also checked out what they go for. Someone actually sold a pair (new) for $250!!

Silent Hill Play Novel for GBA is pretty pricey, not to mention hard to find. Ebay has three listings, two cartridge-only and one complete. The cartridges go for $30+ and the complete is a whopping $70. I'd love to own it as a collector's piece(and play it), but golly is that expensive for a visual novel.

I guess they printed too many, but I was super pleased to pick up Sin & Punishment: Star Successor for only $5 at GameStop.

This is one of those games I'd get now while it is still in stores. It's a great Treasure game that will likely climb in value once they are all in the hands of resellers.

Nintendo tries to sell Pokemon HGSS for like $115 on amazon. I was like wtf!??! But you can get it used for $35.
I noticed Nintendo does this a lot, rip off artists.

What you're saying is wrong.. see posts after yours.

Regarding OP, I don't know if I have a wrong opinion but it always seemed to me that PC games were going cheap very very fast. And reading GAF it seems that Steam already sells games for a very decent price on the 1st month after launch. But this opinion has nothing other that what I conclude seeing PC threads here and of course multi-platform games pricing difference between PC and consoles.

Top Bottom