• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PS3 died and I’m trying to live to tell the story

Ban Puncher

My dad called on me today to have a look at his 40GB that was bought in 2008. Turn on, three beeps and flashing red lights then shut off. Took it apart, cleaned off the old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol, baked the motherboard in a 200 degrees Celsius oven for 8 minutes, applied new thermal paste and reassembled the console. Good as new.

My dad and I then drank beers and wallowed in that DIY smug feeling.

Couple of screws left over. They're probably not important.

I think my PS3 just kicked the bucket. Was playing MGS2 when it just shut down with red blinking lights. Trying to turn it back on sounds like it works but after maybe two seconds the light goes from green to quickly yellow then back to blinking red. This thing has served me well for over seven years and I don't really have it in my budget to get a new one (and I absolutely hate the design of the newest model). Kind of bummed out about it :(

edit: Tried the hair dryer method, came back to life for a minute but not long enough to check if my latest saves were uploaded. RIP :(

Dunan

My PS3 Slim (white FFXIII model) got the YLOD last summer while straining to run a DVD in 95-degree (35 C) weather.

I went out and got a heat gun and thermal paste and yesterday finally took the thing apart. Wiped the old paste off the processors, aimed the heat gun at them for a few minutes, then covered them in a thin layer of 6.5 watt-per-kelvin-meter silicon grease. Smoothed it out and waited a way, and turned it on for the first time this evening with great anticipation.

It powered up! As if it were just an ordinary crash, in fact; the calendar was still accurate and all I got was the warning that it had shut down irregularly last time and was going to check itself.

When that finished, I had the usual XMB and all my games, save files, and such. I had inserted a USB stick in order to move save files, and couldn't figure out how to move them, because pressing triangle when on a file in the save utility only offered to put it on the PS+ cloud, which I'm not yet a member of.

But then while I was doing that, perhaps an hour after turning it on, I get the message that the machine is running hot.

While I was googling that, it shut itself down.

I had already conceded that this PS3 is dying, but I'd at least like to get my save files off it and onto the other machine. What would be a good way to do this as quickly as possible, assuming that another YLOD is on the way and could come at any time?

There are only a dozen or so files that I really need to move. I have a couple of files that are locked to that console, such as my Assassin's Creed 2 saves, and I'll never get to that DLC I once bought if I have to start again from the beginning.

I have a PS+ code just waiting to activate. Can I activate that from my computer, then turn on the PS3 and have it see that I'm a Plus member now? Then I could quickly find and upload my saves before the PS3 conks out on me again. I was once a Plus member long ago and am using 132 of my 150 MB, supposedly. Can I browse what I've got stored before signing up again?

Can I prepare a USB stick in advance by creating a "PS3" folder on it, with "SAVEDATA" inside? For whatever reason, the PS3 couldn't see the USB stick that I had put in.

Any thoughts?

Storm360

So I tried playing GTA V yesterday, the first time I booted it, I got a back screen, the second time I had fucked up audio (Crackling, really loud static like a old TV wasn't tuned in and the audio skipping)

Should I worry or is it a case of the game being bad? I've played a lot of Deadly Premonition lately and all I've had is framedrops but I'm worried it may be damaging my console

Edit: to the person above me, the USB stick needs to be fat32, So check that, you need PS+ to back up console locked saves

My PS3 Slim (white FFXIII model) got the YLOD last summer while straining to run a DVD in 95-degree (35 C) weather.

Oh god I cringed inside when I read that, that is the most beautiful PS3 model right there. Will you try and replace your new PS3 with that case?

Dunan

Oh god I cringed inside when I read that, that is the most beautiful PS3 model right there. Will you try and replace your new PS3 with that case?

Stereogatari, it had occurred to me to get another ordinary slim and replace its case with mine, especially now that I've taken on the challenge of opening up a PS3, taking it apart, and putting it back together again. But my other machine, which I just picked up super cheap in anticipation of my repair not working, is a phat white 40GB PS3, so the case sizes don't match.

If the thing is truly dead, I might eBay it or even (to save on shipping and to keep the HDD) sell just the outer case. As you say, it really does look nice. (The controller -- FFXIII detractors will love this -- has had an indent in the plastic in the "up" position of the left stick ever since I played it as the first game on that system. Physical proof of how you're going in a straight line in that game!)

Storm360, thanks for the advice; I hadn't thought about how the USB is formatted. My sticks are all formatted on Macs running OS 10.6, which (IIRC) is not FAT32. I shuld probably buy a cheap extra stick just for the PS3, though now I'm leaning toward joining PS+ today and moving them that way so that I don't have to worry about console locking.

Stereogatari, it had occurred to me to get another ordinary slim and replace its case with mine, especially now that I've taken on the challenge of opening up a PS3, taking it apart, and putting it back together again. But my other machine, which I just picked up super cheap in anticipation of my repair not working, is a phat white 40GB PS3, so the case sizes don't match.

If the thing is truly dead, I might eBay it or even (to save on shipping and to keep the HDD) sell just the outer case. As you say, it really does look nice. (The controller -- FFXIII detractors will love this -- has had an indent in the plastic in the "up" position of the left stick ever since I played it as the first game on that system. Physical proof of how you're going in a straight line in that game!)
White FAT machine is nice, the shiny case suits the colour more than the Slim.

I may take you up on that case offer if you ever decide to do it. I don't think I'd be brave enough to replace the bottom case, but the top one seems easy enough based on a YT video I just watched.

lol @ the controller's ident. Born for the tough corridors of FFXIII.

chaos789

Banned
I know the Ps4 is available, but I am in search of a replacement PS3 due to my huge backlog of PS3 games I have yet to play. I have lost my PS3 Slim 320GB model due to theft. For some reason they didn't take any of my games. So for those of you who own a Super Slim how does it compare to the PS3 Slims? Any problems such as overheating or lag issues etc? I am considering purchasing a Super Slim because they come with a 500gb HD and I tend to want to purchase consoles new and I have not seen anywhere that is selling new PS3 slim 320GB HD anymore.

MajorTom

I know the Ps4 is available, but I am in search of a replacement PS3 due to my huge backlog of PS3 games I have yet to play. I have lost my PS3 Slim 320GB model due to theft. For some reason they didn't take any of my games. So for those of you who own a Super Slim how does it compare to the PS3 Slims? Any problems such as overheating or lag issues etc? I am considering purchasing a Super Slim because they come with a 500gb HD and I tend to want to purchase consoles new and I have not seen anywhere that is selling new PS3 slim 320GB HD anymore.
I honestly love my super slim. I upgraded from an original ps3. It runs so cool compared to the old one, it's also tiny and worth it just for the hdd. I'd say go for it.

My 20 gb launch system suddenly shut down during UC3 online multiplayer and flashed its red light.

I can turn it on and I backed up my saves but I am worried as fuck. :(

Almost a year later with another update, but my console shut down during a playthrough of CoD: Ghosts' campaign (I played for around five hours) and blinked its infamous red lights. I saw no Yellow light and it was able to boot up again normally as before. It works, but I'm going to back up my saves as soon as possible.

I don't want my baby to die. :(

Edit: Backed up my saves in case anything happens.

Further update, but as of this morning, according to my sister at home, my phat PS3 finally kicked the bucket. It's been real, but somehow I'm not taking this as hard as I should. Bills have been hectic for me as of late but I think I can afford a PS3 and I'll order a slim later.

It just sucks that my PS2/PS1 saves are dead. It also sucks that I can't play PS2 games anymore since I gave my PS2 to a cousin years ago out of the US. They don't seem to expensive at all on amazon so I'll buy one whenever, I'm honestly not in a rush to go back and play a PS2 game. I can't do anything about transferring old game saves, I have no memory card adapter. Thankfully I do have PS+ so I'm not missing everything. It's been real, fatty...

TheContact

So I was watching Netflix in bed last night and my PS3 just turned off mid show, then when I try to turn it on, it tries to start up because the fans spin, which probably confirms its not the power supply, then it stops a second later and just blinks red lights. Looked online and people are saying this is the YLOD and not much can be done, something about the soldering becomes loose and the cpu or gpu separates from the contacts on the mobo or something. It's an original phat ps3 I bought day1 and I use the BC often so I'd hate to the lose the system. Any idea how much Sony charges to fix? Or should I take it apart and fix it myself with the heat trick?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
So I was watching Netflix in bed last night and my PS3 just turned off mid show, then when I try to turn it on, it tries to start up because the fans spin, which probably confirms its not the power supply, then it stops a second later and just blinks red lights. Looked online and people are saying this is the YLOD and not much can be done, something about the soldering becomes loose and the cpu or gpu separates from the contacts on the mobo or something. It's an original phat ps3 I bought day1 and I use the BC often so I'd hate to the lose the system. Any idea how much Sony charges to fix? Or should I take it apart and fix it myself with the heat trick?

Yup it's the YLOD.

Even if you get it fixed, it's just a matter of time before it dies again. I had to put my 80GB BC PS3 out to pasture and get a new super slim one :(

VLiberty

So yesterday the new HDD came here and, after making a backup of everything, I swapped the HDD. I don't know if that's ok, but the PS3 said me that it was unable to run the system software and asked me to put a 4.70 update on an external drive and run it. Done; halfway through the system dies, the signal goes off and when I restart the system it is dead. Like, it won't even enter in safe mode. It won't even shut off.

So I swap the HDDs again and the system boots with the same screen that asked me to put 4.70 fw on a drive. So I booted the update again; this time it will start(I could see the progression bar with "0%") and after less than seconds it gives me the serious error 8002f281.

After some tries, I wondered if the PS3 reacted to the new HDD the same way as it usually reacts when no HDD is plugged, so I booted the PS3 without any HDD and the result is different, the PS3 actually boots.That means that the PS3 definitely recognizes that there's a HDD when I put the new one in.

Some people say that formatting the HDD will help solve the 8002f281 error, but I'm unable to format those HDDs as of now. Next week I'll try to get a sata/usb cable, but that's got me wondering: does this mean that both HDDs are fucked, but in different ways? Is just one of them fucked while the other is good but doesn't work because the PS3 is fucked? Is everything fucked? I'm panicking a bit

Also: is there someone that actually managed to get over the 8002f281 error? And is there someone who had its PS3 in the state it gets with my new HDD?(so: no TV signal, not being able to shut it off or getting it to safe mode, with controllers not working)

My OG 60GB fat PS3 was part of the dead for the last 4 months due to YLOD, but I did the whole host of reflow tricks (heat gun, 19-blade fan, new thermal paste, new thermal pads, cleaned out the dust) and it lives again.

I gotta empty out an external hard drive so I can do the full backup and restore, and then I don't know what else to do. I know I should probably just get a new PS3...but maybe I could send it to a place to do a professional CPU/GPU reballing so it can properly survive.

I just don't want to be without the one true PS3 ever :3

Anyone have any good ps3 repair places? I have an 80 gig phat and I don't want to lose emulation. I want to play dragon warrior VIII damnit. :(

Jubern

I got the 80010514 error pop up with a single game (Star Wars: The Force Unleashed) yesterday night.

I read this error is about the blu-ray drive not working anymore or some HDD corruption, you can't play disc games anymore and it's a bad sign and such...
But The Force Unleashed is the only only affected game. I tried a couple of other game discs that work just fine. Blu-ray movies too.

Anyone had that error pop-up in such a selective way?

Henrar

And it's gone :(

My backwards compatible, European 60GB model, died during playing Deus Ex HR Director's Cut (I lost my 20 hours run to get Platinum and I didn't sync 3 or 4 trophies to PSN). I had to open the console and take the disc out of it, since it doesn't have that neat power trick later models have that allowed to eject discs and turn their fans to full speed.

It was it's second YLOD and I didn't even bother to put the pieces back together. I stuffed them into a box.

God dammit.

So... I need another PS3 (If I am not mistaken, my 5th one). What to look for? Since I care for BC - should I get another 60GB (that would be my third), or buy some used cheap PS2 and go for Slim PS3 (that would be my second - I exchanged my first Slim for 60GB FAT)? Are those Super Slims good? I don't care about their overall build quality as in plastics, buttons and so on. I want a working, quiet* and relatively cool console. Any help?

*My 60GB was quiet due to new thermal paste and 19-blade fan instead of 15-blade one.

rataplein

my 80 gb metal gear solid 4 version (CECHE01) died a few days ago... YLOD.

i want to sell it for pieces o repair or whatever people by used consoles.

my question is this: if i deactivate all ps3 systems from the website, the guy that buys imy dead ps3 can't access mi account, right?. like, it's gonna ask him the password... and he may see my email account... and saves, but nothing else right?.

i'm just afraid of my personal data (i had no credit cards attached to the account anyways).

Snookie

Launch 60GB dead as of this morning.

Whats weird is how it went. My son was about to play skylanders spyros adventure and for that game it uses a bluetooth module to connect everything. When i went to turn on the portal the whole system shut down as soon as I hit the switch.

I was reading there are 2 ylod errors. I can't even get it to eject the disc (hold the eject and then power on from the back)

Im not sure what to do. I can try to open it up and fix it but i have a feeling my issues might be worse than that.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
My ps3 has had ylod for 6 months. Every time I turn it on it yellows, then it turns on the second time and seems to work fine. I don't play on it that much tho

guess i'll just weep here,

my PS4 died yesterday :/ 2 years duration and now something akin to an ylod.

sucks that consumer electronics only have 1 year warranty and then they are expected to break down. My washingmachine just died also and that thing was from the 1970's, 40 years of life in that thing :D

Vashetti

Banned
Welp, my phat PS3 is 100% dead.

It was working fine, just loud and hot (I got it in 2008). I thought I'd give it a new lease of life, so I installed a 19-blade fan, cleaned it out, and decided to replace the Cell and RSX thermal paste beneath each heatspreader.

The RSX's heatspreader came off really quickly. I was very delicate and patient, following several guides.

When it came to the Cell, the IHS was very stubborn and just wouldn't budge. I was still delicate and patient, used a ton of heat and finally managed to get a wedge under it with a thin knife, ran around the edge with the knife and it finally popped off. Sadly it took a chunk of the circuit board with it and it was clearly fucked. Because I was so careful, I think it might have just been so dry under there that any removal of the IHS was going to tear the circuit board. All the paste was gone.

I knew it was pointless but I put it back together, plugged it in and it came on for a few seconds (the new fan worked), and then it immediately flashed yellow, then powered off and won't budge from the red light, so I just switched it off.

There's no chance of repair, if you could see the circuit board material that got torn off you'd see that there was no chance for it.

Thankfully I'm getting a Super Slim for Christmas but I'm gutted my original PS3 is now a brick. Just feel really defeated that I had a working console and I screwed it.

pizzacat

Banned
My dad called on me today to have a look at his 40GB that was bought in 2008. Turn on, three beeps and flashing red lights then shut off. Took it apart, cleaned off the old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol, baked the motherboard in a 200 degrees Celsius oven for 8 minutes, applied new thermal paste and reassembled the console. Good as new.

My dad and I then drank beers and wallowed in that DIY smug feeling.

Couple of screws left over. They're probably not important.
It's been over a year were the screws important!

Top Bottom