• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne Producer: Targeting 30fps for "Game Design" purposes

Bayonneta is just an example, so if you prefer you can pick up yours.
But yours is worst because it prove that a less less powerfull console can run a game at 60 fps.
While we're all expecting here to see the power of PS4 be used.

tumblr_mgfidrhy521qk4e3go1_400.jpg

impact

Banned
So they want to get 60fps. Just can't. Fair enough answer for me. All he's trying to say is 30fps won't kill this game like some other action games.
And hes right. Demon's Souls at ugly res/20-30fps is still a fuck ton more fun than Dark Souls 2 at 4k/60fps

It's weird that Demon's actually has the most stable framerate of the three.

At this point, I might just pass on Bloodborne and stick to whatever the FROM B team releases on Steam. Dark Souls 3 at silky smooth 60FPS? No problem here!

After playing DeS/DaS on PS3 at ~30fps, and DaS2 on PC at ~60fps, I would much prefer an A-team product over a B-team product. A higher frame rate doesn't mean much if the underlying game isn't as fun.

Eusis

Expansion pack as in it takes what is the base of a game, adds to it.
Yes... as a separate-yet-dependent and smaller release. Expansion packs were basically the jumbo sized version of today's DLC, whereas sequels are full sized, independent games even if they reuse assets liberally at an extreme, something like Tales of Xillia 2.

Granted you could still say something like that example is more like a stand alone expansion pack, but it seems sort of ridiculous to say that about Bloodborne. May as well start calling Fallout 3 an Oblivion expansion just because they clearly share significant under the hood similarities, even though a lot of the gameplay mechanics and the entire damn setting are completely different or damn close to it.

EDIT: Ah hell, you even said that about fucking MGS3. But it's still ridiculous to say that about something like this when Dark Souls II and even arguably Dark Soul 1 are far more deserving of such a claim. This is definitely looking to be the biggest departure for the formula yet.

KoopaTheCasual

I like how this thread started as the lamentation of the comments of a FROM Software producer. But then when his "inflammatory comments" were completely debunked, the thread just kept trucking on the "Man, Bloodborne is 30 fps?! This is disappointing." (even though the Bloodborne framerate was known for months, by now) with a sprinkle of PC port-begging.

Apathy

I like how this thread started as the lamentation of the comments of a FROM Software producer. But then when his "inflammatory comments" were completely debunked, the thread just kept trucking on the "Man, Bloodborne is 30 fps?! This is disappointing." (even though the Bloodborne framerate was known for months, by now) with a sprinkle of PC port-begging.

No one reads OP updates, much less the whole thread. They read the title and then hit reply with their thoughts

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't true for me, which proves it's not a universal principle and you should embark on a different line of argument. Comparing framerates to the mechanics of human vision is a fool's errand anyway. Your eyes don't see at 60fps. The world doesn't scroll smoothly when you "pan around" with your gaze. It's just completely different, so don't tell me what technical features are required for me to be immersed in a game.

You're not alone. After playing TLoU on PS3, I found the remastered version a very jarring experience. I mean, playing multiplayer at 60fps was lovely, but somehow the main campaign (especially cutscenes) felt wrong at the increased framerate. It created a sort of uncanny valley effect, because I was seeing more than I was "supposed" to see.

People claiming that 60fps is automatically better/more realistic/more immersive need to step back and sort out their argument.

Leb

You're not alone. After playing TLoU on PS3, I found the remastered version a very jarring experience. I mean, playing multiplayer at 60fps was lovely, but somehow the main campaign (especially cutscenes) felt wrong at the increased framerate. It created a sort of uncanny valley effect, because I was seeing more than I was "supposed" to see.

People claiming that 60fps is automatically better/more realistic/more immersive need to step back and sort out their argument.

Strongly agree. It's just as destructive to IQ as upscaling (think of it as temporal upscaling using the temporal equivalent of the nearest-neighbor algorithm), it subverts the artistic vision of the developers and in a strictly thermodynamic sense, it contributes more directly to the eventual heat death of the universe.

It's bad for publishers, bad for developers and bad for consumers.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Here is what was actually said in the interview:

Journo: "What frame rate and resolution are you targeting?"

Translator: "Resolution and framerate... have you decided these yet?"

Yamagiwa: "The resolution is going to be 1080p. As for the frame rate, well, stretching it to 60, with how this game is.. Demon's couldn't do it either, well I guess we probably won't be able to make it up to 60... It sounds like I'm making excuses but, anyway we're targeting 1080p 30fps.

Translator: "First of all it's going to be ..." (makes up a bunch of shit that Yamigawa didn't actually say, talking about action games being best at 30fps)

Yamigawa (interrupting): "well it's not ... I mean no matter how I say it, it's going to come out like an excuse I'm afraid"

Translator: "well, from the first they are not targeting 60fps because ..." (more conjecture)

Where are you getting this from? Is there video?

What? How does increased clarity and better in motion IQ make a game less immersive? It might be because I am insanely sensitive to framerate, but seeing the stuttering of frames kills my immersion.

cheesekao

What? How does increased clarity and better in motion IQ make a game less immersive? It might be because I am insanely sensitive to framerate, but seeing the stuttering of frames kills my immersion.
Plenty of people complained about the 48fps version of The Hobbit, did they not? I'm not saying 30fps is better than 60fps or anything but some people may just have eyes that do not adjust well to high frame rates.

Servbot24

Banned
At this point, I might just pass on Bloodborne and stick to whatever the FROM B team releases on Steam. Dark Souls 3 at silky smooth 60FPS? No problem here!

Do your thing, but frame rate being more important than the actual quality of the game is bizarre and honestly really depressing to me.

Plenty of people complained about the 48fps version of The Hobbit, did they not? I'm not saying 30fps is better than 60fps or anything but some people may just have eyes that do not adjust well to high frame rates.

Which is funny, because The Hobbit is one of the few movies that I did not leave the theater with a migraine from watching it.

BigDug13

And hes right. Demon's Souls at ugly res/20-30fps is still a fuck ton more fun than Dark Souls 2 at 4k/60fps

It's weird that Demon's actually has the most stable framerate of the three.

On PS3 you mean? Well it was designed exclusively and so probably didn't try to exceed the system capabilities while the Dark Souls games were multiplatform.

I don't have any fears on this title. PS3 was a difficult system with split 256MB RAM pools and poor graphics processing that needed Cell help. PS4 is way easier with far more resources available and more traditional specs. We have yet to see a "struggles to maintain 30fps" game on PS4 and I don't think an exclusive game is going to be the first one to break that.

On PS3 you mean? Well it was designed exclusively and so probably didn't try to exceed the system capabilities while the Dark Souls games were multiplatform.

I don't have any fears on this title. PS3 was a difficult system with split 256MB RAM pools and poor graphics processing that needed Cell help. PS4 is way easier with far more resources available and more traditional specs. We have yet to see a "struggles to maintain 30fps" game on PS4 and I don't think an exclusive game is going to be the first one to break that.

Evil Within, but that game is just a mess overall.

And there is no world where Demon's is more stable than Dark Souls 1.

Tetranet

If only developers were bombarded with the question "Will your game's framerate by consistent and stable, without drops?" instead of obsessing over 30 and 60. Both are GREAT, so long as they're consistent.

BigDug13

Evil Within, but that game is just a mess overall.

And there is no world where Demon's is more stable than Dark Souls 1.

Dark Souls 1 was ok, but wasn't Blighttown so shitty that the game was almost unplayable in that section? Not sure that Demons ever had any areas that were THAT bad.

Rurunaki

Uhhh what happened tp this thread? Stealth pc port begging? As far as Dark Souls 2 is concern, I wouldn't mind it being 30 fps if it maintaibed the graphic fidelity it had when it was first revealed.

Dark Souls 1 was ok, but wasn't Blighttown so shitty that the game was almost unplayable in that section? Not sure that Demons ever had any areas that were THAT bad.

The Valley of Defilement was really, really bad. Dragon God has his punch which nuked the framerate, and destroying anything of the environment sank the framerate.

It was constant drop after drop. Where in Dark Souls, the framerate only really died in Blighttown and Lost Izalith.

Can't wait to see the 'shock' some people get when the game get's an amazing reception both by critics and gaffers alike despite 'only' running at 30fps.

Lombax

Banned
Can't wait to see the 'shock' some people get when the game get's an amazing reception both by critics and gaffers alike despite 'only' running at 30fps.

HAHA seriously! people are just bummed out that their current gen consoles are not providing expected game experiences.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Stuttering, sure, but a stable 30 shouldn't be a problem.
Just saying that for a lot of games (and gamers), 30 FPS with some nice motion blur can look a lot better than strobey 60 FPS.

Personally, my eyes adjust fine to high framerates, but I prefer the slick "hyper real" look of 60+ with fast-paced character action games or arcadey racers. Going from 30 to 60 in something like TLoU was a shock. It still plays well, but I definitely didn't like the cutscenes...

I know artists and lighters who lament 60 FPS, because it's often just a bullet point that clueless execs like to stick on the back of a box as a result of cutting a lot of hard work that's gone into the visuals.
We should learn to control our expectations and put these silly feuds behind us, because at the end of the day, Bloodborne is going to look and play great, regardless.

Top Bottom