• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shinji Mikami's THE EVIL WITHIN |OT| Where's everyone going? Tango?

I'm at chapter 7 and the game is clicking with me. The one thing I could do with less is the upgrading system, it goes too deep on minutia and it's honestly annoying at times, keep it simple, I say.

Nemmy

I think that every reviewer that complained about difficulty or the game being unfair cannot be taken seriously, Jim Sterling really disappointed me in that regard, i thought highly of him as a reviewer until i read his TEW review and him crying over any obstacle the game threw at him
What's the problem with the invisible enemies anyway? they are pretty easy to spot and they mostly appear alone and not with other enemies so you have plenty of time to aim and concentrate on them

Anyway TL;DR, game is very fair.

I thought of him highly till I read his Vanquish review. Bashing a game because you can't play it for shit and don't understand its design is unforgivable for a reviewer (IMO).

You and me both. I didn't see more trial and error, unfair checkpoints or whatever. I'm just stunned at different reviews and the comments of people. I finished the game in a week and thought it's a great game. And yeah I even thought bosses are easy and there are few and easy puzzles. Played on survival ... because well nothing else available.

And concerning Checkpoints: Well how the hell did those reviewers even finish Demon's Souls? Because there ... a Checkpoint is for the level + Bossfight on a hardcore difficulty. But yeah so far after 4 chapters I've beaten every boss on the first try. So ... I guess the 90s and Donkey Kong really did teach me to be hardcore in gaming :p And maybe that is why I don't see the complaints about difficulty.

I didn't see any trial and error either. The game was usually rather clear about what you're supposed to do, it's the player's fault for being thick if they don't get the hint.
Honestly, one of the things I love about TEW is the complete lack of handholding. It just throws you out there and goes all "you'll manage" and you do. It's just so satisfying. I did sometimes restart a checkpoint when I screwed up, or die because I did something stupid, but that was all on me. And in the end, I had a blast figuring things out on my own.

And yeah it had too many checkpoints actually, especially in the first half - I think tension actually suffered because of that. It also kind of encouraged trial and error play because "eh, whatever, I may as well die, the game just saved anyway" - but again, that's the player's chosen approach then and not the game's fault.

BTW I'd bet if the game was called The Evil Souls Within or something, the same reviewers would be praising its difficulty and no bullshit design, and how oldschool and challenging and remorseless and satisfying it is. It seems it's cool and hip to enjoy the Souls games and even defend them when they go cheap on you, but heaven forbid some other game does something similar.

Neff

Just finished Chapter 8 this morning.

Is there a difficulty spike anywhere in the game or is it gonna be like this all the way through?

Every chapter is different imo. It's one of the things I love about the game. Chapter 8 isn't a good representation of the game at all because it's quite sedate and short. But to answer your question, the last two or three chapters are definitely the most challenging.

NEO0MJ

Just beat the game. Had a lot of fun with it, but can't say I'm not a little disappointed. I'm hoping a sequel will come out though as it has a lot of potential to grow in the future.

A few questions. How do we get the
sniper rifle and the extra handguns? I never found them in the game. Also, what do we get for collecting all the map parts?

myco666

Just beat the game. Had a lot of fun with it, but can't say I'm not a little disappointed. I'm hoping a sequel will come out though as it has a lot of potential to grow in the future.

A few questions. How do we get the
sniper rifle and the extra handguns? I never found them in the game. Also, what do we get for collecting all the map parts?

How did you miss the sniper rifle and managed to get through the game without it.
It is next to the first save point in ch.6 and extra handguns are new game+ weapons IIRC and magnum is found in ch.11. Map parts unlock new sniper rifle and burst handgun

NEO0MJ

Oh, I got it. But
in the model viewer there was a more military and modern looking sniper rifle that I didn't get. So I need to collect the map parts to get it? That's a problem, as a lot are missing. I feel that by the time I get I won't make much use for it. Guess I'll get it when I replay the game at Nightmare.

Szadek

Finished the game after 20 hours and 193 deaths.
I kind of like the story( and setting),but they could have done a much better job at telling it.

Gameplaywise it really does feel like RE4-2,in a good way.
The stealth system,the Agony Crossbow and the traps are great additions
Gunplay is very satisfying,but I don't like how much the camera zooms in while aiming.

The levels are mixed bag.Most of them are good,some even great,while other are pretty bad (chapter 12 and 15 for example).

I liked most of the mini bosses,but I wish there were a few more normal enemies.
There a few enemies I despise:
Zombies with Guns ,invisible enemies(fortunately there are only like 6 of them in the game and all in 1 level) and fake ruvik.

The visuals and art design are great,but those black bars are very annoying.
The game is not all that scary.It has a few good moments and that's about.The atmosphere is very good,though.

myco666

Oh, I got it. But
in the model viewer there was a more military and modern looking sniper rifle that I didn't get. So I need to collect the map parts to get it? That's a problem, as a lot are missing. I feel that by the time I get I won't make much use for it. Guess I'll get it when I replay the game at Nightmare.

I missed alot of them too which is weird considering most of them are in really obvious places like next to mirrors or some other items.
That rifle is only for new game+ though and it replaces the regular rifle if I read correctly the description when it unlocked. Also if you get all fragments in new game+ the weapons won't unlock until next cycle.

Voidance

After reading more of your impressions and talking to my buddy who completed his NG+, I don't think I gave this game a completely fair shake. I'm going to dive in again Saturday when I have more time to dedicate.

The beginning of Chapter 5.
Ok, I don't know why you gave up on the game earlier, but try to embrace it as some sort of tactical zombie action game and not as the second coming of survival horror. If you enjoy the combat mechanics at all, completing the game is worth it, since you can focus so much better on the encounters on NG+/after having seen everything once.

Gurish

Damn! chapter 10 was so good besides
the Laura boss fight, but that fight couldn't ruin one of the best chapters
, just to know for future playthroughs
is damaging her with the fire traps does anything besides freeze her for a couple of seconds? if i just run through her and try passing the time until each gate is open without trapping her, the effect is the same? it seems like there is no use to bother with the traps when you fight her, just run around her and pass the time

Now I'm starting chapter 11 that people here claims to be the worse, hope it's not too bad and i really hope the game will continue to be as good in the coming chapters, from the impressions around here It's all downhill from here :p

Klepek gave it a 2/5.

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/the-evil-within-review/1900-681/

His main issues seem to be that it was frustrating and the story sucks. Obviously overly harsh. 2/5 is like Aliens: Colonial Marines level, so Patrick must have REALLLLLLLLLLY sucked at the game.

I'm not surprised, since I had to explain to him how Matches worked over Twitter. Guy ignores all the tutorials and then complains the game doesn't explain itself well enough. Maybe, as a professional game reviewer, he feels he's above tutorials?

But to me, I wanna hear about the problems people had with a game I liked. I don't think the story was terrible but I'm not gonna pretend like it's amazing just so I feel secure(in denial) about my purchase. I've been hyped as shit about The Evil Within. To this day I still play RE4; for speedruns, so there's a standard set by Tango Gameworks at this point(combined with the amazing Vanquish). But after purchasing The Evil Within and spending an week let the games playthrough, ending and points set in (today) I've come to conclusion it wasn't as good as I hoped.
Amazing game and I'll be buying it for the Xbox One (I played on Xbox 360) but I'm not gonna put rose tinted shades on live in denial about the games obvious glaring flaws. And I mean this game has some huge problems. Just from face value the graphical output is severely lacking, but that's an essay for later.

It's OK *puts hand on shoulder*. It's OK man, sometimes you have to come to terms with what you hoped for wasn't achieved.

Be critical about the stuff you like for once.

(To note, I blame Bethesda and their obvious tampering from stopping this game from being better)
Also I can't believe I only just noticed Juli is wearing high heels lol.

I only noticed towards the end of the game and was also like..."haha no". It's not practical.

BTW I'd bet if the game was called The Evil Souls Within or something, the same reviewers would be praising its difficulty and no bullshit design, and how oldschool and challenging and remorseless and satisfying it is. It seems it's cool and hip to enjoy the Souls games and even defend them when they go cheap on you, but heaven forbid some other game does something similar.

Yeah, remember that one part in that Souls game where you go station-to-station with a boss who can one-hit kill you, and shoot small switches in the ceiling to advance? I agree that was just badly designed garbage that the gaming press should have called out.

Gurish

Yeah, remember that one part in that Souls game where you go station-to-station with a boss who can one-hit kill you, and shoot small switches in the ceiling to advance? I agree that was just badly designed garbage that the gaming press should have called out.
I just complained about that part, it's garbage and i didnt know people complained about it as well (and they should) but for one you have a freaking save point right in the middle of this boss, second, it's the only part up until chapter 10 (didn't reach the rest) that i can honestly say that was garbage and badly designed, rest of the game up until that part was pretty great, so if the worst part contains some trial and error with a save point in the middle that's a good enough reason to bash the entire game for being frustrating, cheap and unfair? give me a break.

antitrop

It's OK *puts hand on shoulder*. It's OK man, sometimes you have to come to terms with what you hoped for wasn't achieved.

Be critical about the stuff you like for once.
Fuck off with that. I've had plenty of "critical" things to say about the game. You must have me confused with someone else.

I've probably complained about the game as much as I've expressed joy in playing it. The highs are very high and the lows are damn low, this is one of the least consistent good games I've played in a long time. It will barely even make my GOTY list.

So don't paint me as some rabid fanboy because I disagree with Klepek's overly harsh review.

I wasn't bashing the whole game, just pointing out that comparing the type of difficulty in TEW to Souls games reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of the gameplay of each game. And no, throwing "Souls" into the title would not make people fawn all over the game. Just a ridiculous assertion. The biggest reason? From Soft understands their strengths and sticks to them. TEW's kitchen sink approach, with some parts being among my favorite gaming moments of the year and some parts being so boring/tedious/stupid I'd never want to force myself to play through them again, is the opposite of that.

Yahtzee's pretty much right on though. And I realize I'm just setting myself up for arguments since at this point this thread consists mainly of TEW's defenders to the death who think it's GOTY, but the difficulty has little to do with why I (and I'm sure many others) disliked many chunks of this game. It's because they weren't fun to me and I wasn't compelled to progress due to the laughably bad voice acting and story.

stn

I had some minor frustration last night.

Chapter 4.
I didn't know that its basically impossible to kill the spider woman or whatever she is. I unloaded my whole arsenal on her. Only then did I realize I was supposed to run, but by then the checkpoint saved. Then, the Ruvik encounter. I fired at him, nothing happened. He one-hit killed me. It didn't occur to me that I was supposed to run back up because I knew it was a dead end. My guess was I had to stun him and then keep running down.

Minor issues but I can really see why some people might get annoyed with the game.

Nemmy

Remember that one part in The Evil Within where it's pitch black and you have to sacrifice your defenses to be able to see your nearest surroundings, while snipers keep shooting at you from the darkness and there are chasms everywhere and a single misstep means you fall to your death and restart at a checkpoint 20 minutes earlier?

For the record, I like Dark Souls. I don't like double standards, that's all.

Gurish

I wasn't bashing the whole game, just pointing out that comparing the type of difficulty in TEW to Souls games reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of the gameplay of each game. And no, throwing "Souls" into the title would not make people fawn all over the game. Just a ridiculous assertion. The biggest reason? From Soft understands their strengths and sticks to them. TEW's kitchen sink approach, with some parts being among my favorite gaming moments of the year and some parts being so boring/tedious/stupid I'd never want to force myself to play through them again, is the opposite of that.

Yahtzee's pretty much right on though. And I realize I'm just setting myself up for arguments since at this point this thread consists mainly of TEW's defenders to the death who think it's GOTY, but the difficulty has little to do with why I (and I'm sure many others) disliked many chunks of this game. It's because they weren't fun to me and I wasn't compelled to progress due to the laughably bad voice acting and story.
Can you point up those horrible parts for me up until chapter 10 besides that boss fight?
Some parts were better than others but nothing for me was so horrible/tedious and such that i don't want to ever play them again, in fact, unless the game becomes really bad after chapter 10, I'm planning to immediately start a second playthrogh, something that i rarely ever do, especially right after finishing a game.

Can you point up those horrible parts for me up until chapter 10 besides that boss fight?
Some parts were better than others but nothing for me was so horrible/tedious and such that i don't want to ever play them again, in fact, unless the game becomes really bad after chapter 10, I'm planning to immediately start a second playthrogh, something that i rarely ever do, especially right after finishing the game.

You're two-thirds of the way through the game and already trying to evaluate the whole thing? Granted, I'm being somewhat hypocritical because I just started Chapter 15, but everything since Chapter 10 has been average at best (and sometimes truly laughable, like Chapter 12).

antitrop

You're two-thirds of the way through the game and already trying to evaluate the whole thing? Granted, I'm being somewhat hypocritical because I just started Chapter 15, but everything since Chapter 10 has been average at best (and sometimes truly laughable, like Chapter 12).

Chapter 8 is extremely boring, but not necessarily bad.

Chapter 11 is also sort of boring, from an encounter standpoint. There's interesting things happening in the environment, and it takes place in an interesting setting, but I didn't think the actual moment to moment gameplay of that level was particularly enjoyable.

Chapter 12 is just an absolute mess from start to finish, as I've described in detail before.

11/12 aren't difficult, they're just not particularly enjoyable to be experiencing. I wasn't frustrated, as much as bored by them. Actually those Chapters are probably easier than most of the better, earlier ones, because they just dump tons of ammo on you and say "use it at those things". The game's slight mechanical janks also rears its head more in the action heaviest parts of the game. The game works better when it's operating at a slower pace, like Chapter 3.

Gurish

In that case i will have to wait and see unfortunately, 2/3 is more than enough usually in order to value a game, so most of your complaints are from chapter 10 and beyond you say?

Nemmy

It's only a double standard if there's not an underlying qualitative difference between the two things being compared.

Dude, it's a simple thing. There are two games that are hard, but fair a good most of the time, except when they sometimes kill you and it's not your fault. One is heralded as a shining example of fair challenge and another gets shat on as hard, cheap and frustrating.

Underlying "qualitative difference" is irrelevant. Your character died, it was your fault or it wasn't. It's representative of the whole game or it's not. That's all there's to it.

Chapter 8 is extremely boring, but not necessarily bad.

Chapter 11 is also sort of boring, from an encounter standpoint. There's interesting things happening in the environment, and it takes place in an interesting setting, but I didn't think the actual moment to moment gameplay of that level was particularly enjoyable.

Chapter 12 is just an absolute mess from start to finish, as I've described in detail before.

11/12 aren't difficult, they're just not particularly enjoyable to be experiencing. I wasn't frustrated, as much as bored by them. Actually those Chapters are probably easier than most of the better, earlier ones, because they just dump tons of ammo on you and say "use it at those things". The game's slight mechanical janks also rears its head more in the action heaviest parts of the game. The game works better when it's operating at a slower pace, like Chapter 3.
I agree with everything in here but would also like to add that chapter 13 and most of 14 are some the best parts of the game, so not everything after chapter 10 is bad.

I also don't get what the problem with the fight in chapter 10 is. I died 161 times in the game, but that part was one of the easiest and most intuitive to do.

In that case i will have to wait and see unfortunately, 2/3 is more than enough usually in order value a game, so most of your complaints are from chapter 10 and beyond you say?

Yes. The game could have ended after Chapter 9 and I would have really liked it overall (and actually I think the end of Chapter 9 would have been a decent ending with some tweaks!), but my enjoyment in the back third of the game has really diminished.

It's not that there aren't some cool parts. Like antitrop said, Chapter 11 for example has some nice environmental stuff going on. Chapter 14 at times returns to the atmosphere of the earlier part of the game, IMO. So it's not all bad by any means, but I do think it's been a fairly average experience that at this point I just want to end. The combination of occasional frustration, lack of scariness/tension, and bad narrative stuff really reared its head in the back stretch of the game IMO.

Gurish

I agree with everything in here but would also like to add that chapter 13 and most of 14 are some the best parts of the game, so not everything after chapter 10 is bad.

I also don't get what the problem with the fight in chapter 10 is. I died 161 times in the game, but that part was one of the easiest and most intuitive to do.
It was pretty cheap and badely designed
running from a one hit-kill monster and looking for small handles, including a trap in the middle where you can hardly see the handle before burning to death, it was cheap and not fun but at least it had a save point in the middle and it's just one badely designed part so no need to be too dramatic

Yes. The game could have ended after Chapter 9 and I would have really liked it overall (and actually I think the end of Chapter 9 would have been a decent ending with some tweaks!), but my enjoyment in the back third of the game has really diminished.

It's not that there aren't some cool parts. Like antitrop said, Chapter 11 for example has some nice environmental stuff going on. Chapter 14 at times returns to the atmosphere of the earlier part of the game, IMO. So it's not all bad by any means, but I do think it's been a fairly average experience that at this point I just want to end. The combination of occasional frustration, lack of scariness/tension, and bad narrative stuff really reared its head in the back stretch of the game IMO.
Finish after chapter 9? and giving up on the mostly awesome chapter 10? no Sir :p

As for the rest of the chapters beyond 10, I'll play and see for myself, you might have a point there.

i thought chapter 10 wasn't great but playable, chapter 11 was an absolute joke from start to finish. I can't remember the last time i ever played a through a portion of a game where i was constantly hating everything about it, chapter 12 likewise.
It improves slightly after that but they really should have shortened the game and focused on 10 good chapters.
I thought the game was a mess technically but great otherwise up until chapter 10/11, my opinion of a game has never nosedived so fast.

Fuck off with that. I've had plenty of "critical" things to say about the game. You must have me confused with someone else.

I've probably complained about the game as much as I've expressed joy in playing it. The highs are very high and the lows are damn low, this is one of the least consistent good games I've played in a long time. It will barely even make my GOTY list.

So don't paint me as some rabid fanboy because I disagree with Klepek's overly harsh review.

I never once called you a fanboy. T'is a stupid thing. No insults intended.

The last comment wasn't directed at you either, it's how I view things. "Being critical of stuff I like". Not that you (or anyone in particular) should be.

Some parts were better than others but nothing for me was so horrible/tedious and such that i don't want to ever play them again, in fact, unless the game becomes really bad after chapter 10, I'm planning to immediately start a second playthrogh, something that i rarely ever do, especially right after finishing a game.

Do you enjoy kitchens?
Do you enjoy stealth?
Do you enjoy cramped spaces?
Do yo enjoy fire traps?
Do you enjoy spike traps?
Do you enjoy spiked discs on the floor that rebound from the wall?

Well....(worst part of the game). Just nonsensical stupidity.

It was pretty cheap and badely designed
running from a one hit-kill monster and looking for small handles, including a trap in the middle where you can hardly see the handle before burning to death, it was cheap and not fun but at least it had a save point in the middle and it's just one badely designed part so no need to be too dramatic
Huh, I guess I was just lucky then spotting the required targets without problems.

Do you enjoy kitchens?
Do you enjoy stealth?
Do you enjoy cramped spaces?
Do yo enjoy fire traps?
Do you enjoy spike traps?
Do you enjoy spiked discs on the floor that rebound from the wall?

Well....(worst part of the game). Just nonsensical stupidity.

Oh god... that part was forehead-smackingly dumb. Has there ever been a more obvious indication that developers just ran out of ideas than the Razorblade Roomba©?

Gurish

Oh god... that part was forehead-smackingly dumb. Has there ever been a more obvious indication that developers just ran out of ideas than the Razorblade Roomba©?
Is he talking about something beyond chapter 10? If not what part are you talking about? Don't remember anything significant with kitchens :/

Nemmy

With this I have to agree. "Never put Roombas in horror games" sounds like a reasonable rule of thumb for the developers to have.

Top Bottom