• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft financials: 65% revenue increase YoY, Watch Dogs 9 million shipped

untitledfsfmiu2b.png

Nintendo Three DS

PC doing well for Ubisoft. Ubisoft not doing well for PC. Damn Shame.

But, I do love a lot of their games, especially the AC franchise.

Mooreberg

Rarely do I get upset about things in the gaming industry but seeing Watch Dogs be this much of a success is infuriating. So many more games deserve the attention and sales. Watch Dogs was such a cobbled together mess. One of the handful of games I traded back in my life.
Looking at the platform sales breakdown, the only real direct competitor at time of release was Wolfenstein The New Order. I love the game, but I did not see nearly as much of a push for it as even The Evil Within has gotten.

The first year of new consoles is a good time for third parties to release new multiplatform franchises. The two big new multiplatform franchises came from Ubisoft and Activision. The two companies that already have big annual franchises.

They have reaped the rewards of supplying a rapidly growing audience with content.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
But now they will think they made a good job with watch dogs
A new IP with generally positive reception outside of GAF and tons of sales that went over their expectations is a good job.

Good. I really liked, but not loved, Watch Dogs so I hope the inevitable sequel is an Assassin's Creed 1 to 2 kind of jump^^ 8 Million in one month and 1 million over the next four... seems to not have the legs of their Assassin's Creed titles just yet...

ethomaz

Banned
Rarely do I get upset about things in the gaming industry but seeing Watch Dogs be this much of a success is infuriating. So many more games deserve the attention and sales. Watch Dogs was such a cobbled together mess. One of the handful of games I traded back in my life.
I passed the game and didn't played it due personal decision on next-gen purchases but all of my friends at work loved it and have a lot of fun from what they told me.

I can't see how it is that mess some GAFers says...

Well I know a lot of GAFers trash Destiny for example and it is my personal GOTY and the most enjoyable game I played in years.

I can see the same happening with Watch Dogs like it happened with me.

Sales are more than deserved.

GoDLiKe

I'm happy for Ubisoft. They are today my favorite developer. So many great AAA IP's + gems such as Child of Eden and Valiant Hearts. Well deserved.

That digital sales growth is really something. Seems like that's the big story of all the earnings nowadays.
I for one didn't buy any retail game since the launch day of the Xbox One. I went all digital and it's awesome.

stryke

That's not really what it's saying.

It's saying of their revenue, 28% of the total were from digital sales.

So that includes things like iOS games, microstransactions, DLC, digital-only games like Child of Light, Valiant Hearts, season passes, and retail games sold digitally.

It's not saying 28% of console sales were digital.

So basically what I'm saying is, the number is really good, but you can't just add it to a console sale at retail and assume that the game sold that much digitally as well as retail

Can you think of a reason why only Ubisoft like to give platform splits?

Mugatu

Glad it sold well for them - I personally couldn't stand the game and returned it after a few hours but if others had fun then great.

AC, their biggest franchise, is the only thing that is heavily annualized, Watch Dogs doesn't even have a sequel yet. Why wouldn't they work on something that's obviously successful and that a lot of people enjoyed? Obviously it's working. Not to mention the new ips and Ubiart games. No need to be angry at their successful strategy.

With the success of Watch_Dogs, maybe they'll allow AC to cool a little bit and alternate to every other year, trading off between AC and WD. It would certainly elongate the long-term health of both IPs.

There sure is some weird salt around the success of Watch_Dogs...
Converted to rev and %change Y/Y based on total sales.
Code:
	H1 14/15	H1 13/14	€ change	% change
PS4	154.9			
XBO	72.6			
X360	67.8		85.1		-17.3		-20
PS3	82.3		70.4		11.9		+17
PC	72.6		49.9		22.8		+46
Wii	4.8		52.8		-48.0		-91
WIU	0		17.6		-17.6		-100
3DS	0		2.9		-2.9		-100
PSV	0		5.9		-5.9		-100
Other	29.1		8.8		20.3		+230

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Can you think of a reason why only Ubisoft like to give platform splits?

like in general in their fiscal reporting?

nope, no idea. just how their accounting likes to do it i guess. probably to justify their investments one way or another i suppose

Top Bottom