• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ishihara on Pokémon communication features, use of the latest tech

ash_ag

The latest Famitsu has an interview with the TPC president. Some translated excerpts via NintendoEverything follow.

Let me see… I wonder which topics I can discuss, but there is something I can tell you. I’d want to enhance the fun of Game Freak’s Pokemon series by using the latest possible technology and doing more advanced things. If players used the link cable to trade Pokemon in Red and Blue, Pokemon could level up faster or evolve. No game had offered this kind of experience before. Communicating like that has progressed and now features such as playing via the Internet and StreetPass are used. What will it look like if communication keeps progressing more and more? Although I can’t say anything concrete yet, I’d like to see that kind of thing implemented. It would be great if the newest technology made possible Pokemon gameplay which would surprise players as much as Pokemon Red and Blue.

That’s true. For example, in Pokemon Bank, Pokemon can be stored in the cloud. You can take them out when you want and then again return them back when you’re finished. I think that play using the Internet will keep steadily evolving in the future, too. In an environment like that, what kind of Pokemon gameplay should be offered to make it the most fun? This is always discussed within the company and extremely varied ideas come out.

There's a lot of buzz in the community lately about Game Freak's being "incompetent" in certain areas. While there are certainly numerous issues in XY, I feel that Ishihara raises a very good point. Let's take a look at the achievements each generation took in communication:

Gen 1: Pokémon becomes the first major portable game to base its appeal on communication via Game Link, Stadium becomes the first console game supporting major connectivity with a portable game
Gen 2: GS introduce light wireless features via Infrared, the Japanese Crystal becomes the first major portable game to support online play via Mobile Adapter GB
Gen 3: FRLG introduce wireless communications in handheld games via Wireless Adapter
Gen 4: DP bring widely available online features to the series, introducing features like GTS
Gen 5: BW expand the series' social features with Pokémon Global Link, introduce pre-3DS StreetPass-like features in C-Gear
Gen 6: Notable improvements in Global Link, introduction of the highly sophisticated PSS system, cloud features in Pokémon Bank

Every single game has highlighted Nintendo systems' connectivity features in the best ways, and some have even been pioneers among the whole industry. Regardless of the overall quality of XY in story, graphics, art-style and such, they continue the trend that made the series so popular in first place. I'm cautiously optimistic that come Gen 7, with developers being familiar with the system (and n3DS bringing more power), Ishihara's comments on the games using the latest tech will be even more accurate.

And, well, also obviously amiibo. :p

vareon

Huh, I just realized that other games can use Pokemon Bank since it's stored in Nintendo's server already.

lewisgone

I don't want an MMO, but as handheld devices become more powerful and Internet connectivity becomes more prominent, having other players of similar levels turn up in your game when you are in the same route would be a great compromise I feel. I think it could make the games feel far more dynamic, and add a lot of longevity to the games.

This holds value especially for people like me who are not into competitive Pokemon - if I am walking down Route 4 with a bunch of level 15s, a trainer of similar level turning up and having a relatively fair fight free of locked levels, and maxed stats would be a far more exciting prospect for me - especially if exp gain was permitted.

Currently, Pokemon has a whole host of Internet connectivity options, but I feel they go unused by a large portion of the player base simply due to the environment they benefit - battling competitively. Going into the future the Internet needs to be leveraged by the games, I feel, to enhance a basic play through of the game - not just give competitive players a great platform (which should still be a focus). Both X+Y and now ORAS have made steps in this direction with Wonder Trade and WiFi Secret Bases (they are, right?) but I feel the games could push connectivity even further, in far more organic ways than the bottom screen apps we saw in X+Y. A fun feature in Black and White 2 was the shopping center that players you met online would show up in - that was a good use of connectivity. To reiterate though, I don't want an always-online Pokemon MMO. I don't think it's a good direction, and it shouldn't be the ultimate result of expanding connectivity features.

GameE

Why is Game freak so against a console version? I would love a main Pokemon for Wii U with a lot of online stuff.

L Thammy

Why is Game freak so against a console version? I would love a main Pokemon for Wii U with a lot of online stuff.

To hazard some guesses:

1) Higher cost versus handheld version.
2) Severely lowered scope to avoid ballooning costs.
3) Little selling point beyond handheld version.

Top Bottom