• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2014: We didn't even know this was releasing on iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anilones

I've never been too much a fan of apple. (Well I hate Macs and Iphones) But their tablets seem nice. Recommend me a tablet that goods for gaming. Dont worry bout budget
With the specs (and the fact that budget isn't a problem), any answer other than iPad Air 2 is incorrect.

heringer

Would you rather the rest of The Banner Saga trilogy, or a GOT game in the style of Banner Saga

Remember, there are no wrong answers here. Everyone wins at the end of the day no matter the option

Hmm, I need to finish TBS first before answering that.

But wait, is it supposed to be a trilogy? This kinda sucks, I hate having to wait years to see the end of a story.

Matt Frost

On a lighter note, fans of brick breakers should check out Grey Cubes. Excellent variation on the genre with a lot of 3D twists and physics elements like the fact that blocks actually react like they have weight. And it keeps throwing new elements at you as you progress.

Very easy recommendation for it's $.99 introductory price.

Played a few levels and I agree with this. The physics in this game makes this game feel fresh. An easy recommendation for sure.

You will finish it pretty quickly most likely. Best thing to do is play Year Walk, and then use the companion-and then something will click, and you'll need to go back to the original game. So don't delete it until you're finished with both.

I need to find time to play it now xD

But wait, is it supposed to be a trilogy? This kinda sucks, I hate having to wait years to see the end of a story.

According to Wikipedia:

The Banner Saga is a Viking-themed tactical role-playing video game by Stoic, a trio of indie game developers formerly of BioWare. It was released as a single player campaign, The Banner Saga – the first game of a projected trilogy – on 14 January 2014, as well as a separate free-to-play online multiplayer game, The Banner Saga: Factions, in February 2013.

And The Banner Saga Wiki:

The Banner Saga is a tactical RPG developed by Stoic. It is to be released as a single player campaign, The Banner Saga: Chapter 1 – the first of a projected trilogy – as well as a separate free-to-play online multiplayer game, The Banner Saga: Factions.

dock

Yesterday I downloaded Woah Dave and sadly I have to give some warning to those interested in it... it has huge big enormous borders on the side making it cumbersome. They take more than half of the screen leaving the play area so small. I asked them on twitter but so far no response. Some screenshots to show this:

B1MidiZIcAAJPSA.jpg

B1MidipIYAA8jAb.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I hate this so much. Passing.

I especially hate non-black borders on games. This looks hideous.

Shaneus

On a lighter note, fans of brick breakers should check out Grey Cubes. Excellent variation on the genre with a lot of 3D twists and physics elements like the fact that blocks actually react like they have weight. And it keeps throwing new elements at you as you progress.

Very easy recommendation for it's $.99 introductory price.
I've been gagging for a brick-breaking game that wasn't shit since I first got my 3GS. How there's not a good version using the actual Arkanoid license, I'll never know.

Thanks for the tip!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I've never been too much a fan of apple. (Well I hate Macs and Iphones) But their tablets seem nice. Recommend me a tablet that goods for gaming. Dont worry bout budget

Air 2

Or a PS4

Does anyone think San Andreas will go on sale for the holiday, or will the price drop be as good as we get for a while? Really thinking about replacing my GTA Vice City with it.

Hey guys do you think this sale will have a sale on it?

Matt Frost

Thanks for the heads up. I hate this so much. Passing.

I especially hate non-black borders on games. This looks hideous.

Yes, it does look hideous... they take half the screen making the play area very tiny. Not good. I also asked them on twitter but no response... but they had the time to answer other questions. I didnt know why I bothered with them since they never updated their iOS game Bit.Trip Run in the first place... and was ignored as well...oh sigh never buying another thing from them again.

Anilones

Super Glyph Quest and 999 are both on sale for 69p. Does anybody have any experience with Hail to the King (which is on sale for £1.49)?

Anno

How do people here feel about Lionheart Tactics? A friend recommended it but he has no real issues dropping dollars in these games. Are the waits reasonable? I do kinda like the graphics and there seems to be a lot of stuff, though I hope it gets a good deal harder.

Okay, so Icebreaker: A Viking Voyage

Making that huge IOS thread reminded me of games I had but never really put much time into

And well, Icebreaker is easily one of the best physics puzzlers on IOS. Hands down, one of the best

I'm shocked that it never got reviewed by TA. Thankfully Pocketgamer, Appspy, and the other major IOS game sites gave it the attention and scores it deserves

Seriously, if you've never played Icebreaker, rectify that as soon as possible. It has the charm and witty style Nitrome does best, and the gameplay is just fantastic. You may be simply slicing ice and ropes, but the sheer amount of variety and creativity found in every level is just fantastic. Not only are there a ton of levels, each has a par to beat, plus achievements to complete.

Minsc

Gold Member
Got 9/10 from Pocket Gamer
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Lionheart+Tactics/review.asp?c=58148

Never heard of the game before, checking it out now

I tried it for a while. The system has some weird decisions to it (mainly being every unit counter attacks all the time if you attack them in range, giving a huge advantage to ranged vs melee since the fighters don't retaliate to your ranged attacks, while ranged units retaliate against everything including melee attacks).

But the system for recruiting and difficulty scaling is just the worst F2P trappings you'll ever find in a game. The worst. Like don't bother with this game because of it. It'd probably be something I recommended on iOS if it was premium, but the F2P ruins it. Completely. 100%. Awful.

Furthermore, if you do decide to invest in it, there's units that other players will have in Arena which you probably won't (because the chances of getting them are like .0001% after spending your earning from 10 hours of farming gold), so you'll get wrecked eventually. And to top that off, you don't get to control who fights for your team when people play against you, I think it just uses your 6 oldest units, so if you get newer ones, you need to sell off all your other good units to get them to defend your team when you're attacked.

And there's other F2P flaws too, I just erased them from my mind (ok another is advanced players purposely tank their Arena ranking so they don't get matched against stronger teams to abuse the game to earn gold to get those rare .00001% units). Oh and also they switched it so unit HP has a timer, even if you heal in battle, where originally healing battle kept after the battle was over. So if you got to 25% and healed to 100%, before you had a unit at 100% for the next battle, later they changed it so your unit was still at 25% after the battle and needed to wait 2 hours to heal or whatever.

Making that huge IOS thread reminded me of games I had but never really put much time into

And well, Icebreaker is easily one of the best physics puzzlers on IOS. Hands down, one of the best

I'm shocked that it never got reviewed by TA. Thankfully Pocketgamer, Appspy, and the other major IOS game sites gave it the attention and scores it deserves

Seriously, if you've never played Icebreaker, rectify that as soon as possible. It has the charm and witty style Nitrome does best, and the gameplay is just fantastic. You may be simply slicing ice and ropes, but the sheer amount of variety and creativity found in every level is just fantastic. Not only are there a ton of levels, each has a par to beat, plus achievements to complete.

It's brilliant and also one of my favorite visual experiences on IOS.

dock

I had to quit playing because there was/is a bug that crashes the game when you beat one of the bosses, and it doesn't save your progress. You can't get past that point, and you have to beat the boss to reproduce the bug.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Just remembered I grabbed the universal version for free a while ago but never played it. Going to check it out now.

mr_toa

iPad Air 2 or Nexus 9 - both should fit the bill. Got an Air 2 myself the other day, and it's nothing short of amazing!

Just got an iPhone 6 yesterday, and am in love. I'm upgrading from a 4S with a busted headphone jack and power button, so even the little things like being able to use headphones again is huge. Going from 16 to 64GB isn't bad either. I've loaded it up with games that I've been hoarding/saving, and I still have 30GB free.

So stoked to finally play Hitman Go, Ace Attorney 5, Device 6, Continue, Republique, Deus Ex: The Fall, Year Walk, Beat Sneak Bandit, City of Secrets 2 ep 1, 1112 ep 3, and tons more.

It's like getting a new console with a full library of stuff to play, that I couldn't (or chose to hold off on) before. iOS gaming rules.

I had to quit playing because there was/is a bug that crashes the game when you beat one of the bosses, and it doesn't save your progress. You can't get past that point, and you have to beat the boss to reproduce the bug.
Which boss was it? The Mountain Troll?

Wallach

I have followed the conversation on King of Dragon Pass, so I think I know what I'd be getting into. Might grab it later today, Appshopper shows that it has never been this cheap before, so seems like the right time to jump in.

Get it. KoDP is one of the greats, and I don't mean iOS specifically.

Corgi

Banned
would be neat if kodp is updated for new phones, but it plays and looks fine.

wtf happened to age of zombies though? New update got rid of the sprites and went full 3d o_O

screen520x924.jpeg

Really weird decision. I mean why not release this as a separate app o_O

I'm sure 3d models make generating new content easier, but still. There are halfbrick guys here right? Would love to know a bit more about this decision.

Alright, my mind is blown.

I bought some games from the Halloween sale, and, THEY ARE ALL SO GOOD. Intense stuff.

I got:

- Papa Sangre II (Sean Bean in my head, amazing, and a 6+ update!)
- Skullduggery! (amazing presentation and art, great fun, if a little boring to play initially)
- Knock-Knock (oh my god this game is fantastic, wow.. .is this the same as the PC version, or should I get it on the GOG sale as well?)
- The Room Two (haven't played it yet, but the first one was amazing)

Also grabbed Sky Force and reinstalled Pico Fighters. Sky Force is intensely gorgeous, but might suffer from not being a paid title. Not sure yet. Pico Fighters is a great shmup and I wish that got updated for newer phones.

Games like Papa Sangre II seriously deserve their own official threads on this forum.

PittaGAF

Alright, my mind is blown.

I bought some games from the Halloween sale, and, THEY ARE ALL SO GOOD. Intense stuff.

I got:

- Papa Sangre II (Sean Bean in my head, amazing, and a 6+ update!)
- Skullduggery! (amazing presentation and art, great fun, if a little boring to play initially)
- Knock-Knock (oh my god this game is fantastic, wow.. .is this the same as the PC version, or should I get it on the GOG sale as well?)
- The Room Two (haven't played it yet, but the first one was amazing)

Also grabbed Sky Force and reinstalled Pico Fighters. Sky Force is intensely gorgeous, but might suffer from not being a paid title. Not sure yet. Pico Fighters is a great shmup and I wish that got updated for newer phones.

Games like Papa Sangre II seriously deserve their own official threads on this forum.

If you like Papa Sangre and like Alien (the movie) be sure to get The NighJar too.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Once you get a few upgrades into Sky Force it gets real good, and if you play good the F2P mechanics aren't offensive at all. Love it. :)

Glorious November starts tomorrow, GLORIOUS.

Wicked Lair is releasing November 25th
http://www.slidedb.com/games/wicked-lair

Wicked Lair and Sailor's Dream...November is already shaping up to be awesomeGLORIOUS

Thanks, I will!

Does anyone know why IOS has a tendency to use your credit card, despite enough funds being available on your account? I have $20 but it decided to use my card anyway.. ugh.
Really? That's weird. Usually it uses my iTunes $$ first and my card for the rest.

Pimpbaa

wtf happened to age of zombies though? New update got rid of the sprites and went full 3d o_O

screen520x924.jpeg

I'm sure 3d models make generating new content easier, but still. There are halfbrick guys here right? Would love to know a bit more about this decision.

Looks like a shittier version of the minigore games now. "Fresh new look" my ass.

awp69

So to make everyone here who wants it jealous, I picked up Icewind Dale on Android (should be out next week on iOS).

Not being a PC gamer, I had never played it but seems great so far. Only played a bit but after knowing the issues Baldur's Gate had when it was first released, haven't hit any bugs so far.

So those interested are in for a treat on iOS next week! And, as expected, it's a big one: 2.6 GB.

So to make everyone here who wants it jealous, I picked up Icewind Dale on Android (should be out next week on iOS).

Not being a PC gamer, I had never played it but seems great so far. Only played a bit but after knowing the issues Baldur's Gate had when it was first released, haven't hit any bugs so far.

So those interested are in for a treat on iOS next week! And, as expected, it's a big one: 2.6 GB.
2.6 GB installed or will I have to clear 8 GBs to download?

awp69

2.6 GB installed or will I have to clear 8 GBs to download?

2.6 gigs installed. Not sure what the download will be on iOS. Most Android games are uncompressed so what you see on Google Play is usually what you get. For this one, it just said "varies by device". So I would also guess it may be smaller on phones.

Wallach

Banner Saga or XCOM?

I want some sort of RPG I can enjoy piecemeal over the next few week/months.

I was deciding between these two today myself. I went with Banner Saga, and to be honest, it isn't grabbing me so far. It is absolutely gorgeous and runs fantastic on the Air 2; the production values are great by any standards. Combat is downright dull, though. I'll probably still spring for X-COM and take my time with Banner Saga to see if the story grabs my attention enough to work through it.

I was deciding between these two today myself. I went with Banner Saga, and to be honest, it isn't grabbing me so far. It is absolutely gorgeous and runs fantastic on the Air 2; the production values are great by any standards. Combat is downright dull, though. I'll probably still spring for X-COM and take my time with Banner Saga to see if the story grabs my attention enough to work through it.
As a turn based tactical strategy game, XCOM is easily the better, more involved experience. Very intense, and thrilling, a lot of "Oh shit" moments (oh no, an alien mind controlled my heavy, and my sniper is panicking, etc). You grow attached to your squad, especially if you name them after friends and family; it really does suck when your trusted soldier, who's been on 15 missions and has leveled up considerably from a lowly recruit, gets taken out.

Genio88

I'm upgrading my iPad 3 16gb with a iPad mini retina 32gb, i thought about the air, but the smaller dimension of the mini are what i need, could you advice some good arcade game to play from time to time?

Wallach

As a turn based tactical strategy game, XCOM is easily the better, more involved experience. Very intense, and thrilling, a lot of "Oh shit" moments (oh no, an alien mind controlled my heavy, and my sniper is panicking, etc). You grow attached to your squad, especially if you name them after friends and family; it really does suck when your trusted soldier, who's been on 15 missions and has leveled up considerably from a lowly recruit, gets taken out.

Yeah, I have played a lot of the old X-COM games. I would have probably gone for X-COM first but I'd heard a lot about Banner Saga recently is all.

I picked up X-COM anyway. Really runs fantastic on Air 2; everything so far has, I guess. So far it seems to be a pretty solid 60 FPS.

bobawesome

screen520x924.jpeg

I'm certainly glad I got the game for free. That...was an awful design decision.

Red Winter (Dungelot) released a new game
Lost Viking - $2.99
https://appsto.re/us/7voG3.i
"Lost Viking is a RPG matching game. Help Ragnar earn his heaven and reach Valhalla"
prQV8Gj.jpg

On that note, why is Dungelot so popular? I realized I had never played it, so I gave it a try...and all you do is tap tiles randomly. At least Tales of Adventure Company and Cavesweeper have some predictablity so you can plan and strategize. I feel like I'm missing something, since a lot of people enjoyed Dungelot

Minsc

Gold Member
On that note, why is Dungelot so popular? I realized I had never played it, so I gave it a try...and all you do is tap tiles randomly. At least Tales of Adventure Club and Cavesweeper have some predictablity so you can plan and strategize. I feel like I'm missing something, since a lot of people enjoyed Dungelot

Dungelot 1.0 (well before a few update in) was brutal difficulty wise, then it become Candyland. Dungelot 2 wasn't as well received either.

There was just a really interesting balance between all the elements in the original version, but later you could just brainlessly get to floor 100+ and it took forever. Dungelot 2 is better now I think (than Dungelot 2 used to be at launch, which was hated), there's a lot more decision making in it with all the traps/totems, but it still isn't as liked as the very original was. Give Dungelot 2 a shot if you want (it's free, with really unneeded IAP) but just know it's Dungelot 1 in its original form that everyone loved the most.

awp69

Woke up. It's cold. SNOW on the ground in South Carolina on November 1st.

In short, a good day to stay in play some games (if my wife lets me ;) )

SuperPac

So Skullduggery went on sale fast. Glad I didn't pick it up the week it came out.

They probably saw what happens when you're a $5 game and you drop out of the main feature carousel and panicked. (Even if you're a free app these days, if you're not doing additional marketing, it's a long fall.)

Looks like Skullduggery's top chart positions were ~49 in iPhone and ~17 on iPad in their launch week and they had the best featuring you can get - Editor's Choice, top carousel. Illustrates, I think, the struggle to make a high-quality paid title on iOS these days. Really is a great game, super unique and fun. But people don't want to pay, not even 5 bucks, for that. :\

PittaGAF

Woke up. It's cold. SNOW on the ground in South Carolina on November 1st.

In short, a good day to stay in play some games (if my wife lets me ;) )

Perfect time to play something with snow...

Banner Saga
Year walk
Battle of the Bulge

Just saying :)

PittaGAF

I'm sure it won't be that popular but I'm totally addicted to Gems of Wars despite it being freemium.
After level 10 thing gets REALLY tough...now I'm level 14 and I must stare and plan my moves well ahead to have a chance of surviving.
It's not really a paywall...because I do not see even with paying how it can be easier...but it's damn good (actually I just discovered I can have multiple quests/kingdoms ongoing so I can train up some characters best suited to other kingdoms).

If they went premium it could have been the legit heir to the original Puzzle Quest.
You have many things to control...single characters level ups, items, spells, the kingdom you are playing in (different bonuses in different kingdoms) etc...
And it's super slick.

Also, while a bit convoluted at first, it syncs amond devices flawlessly and it's very light on battery.
Great dubbing for spells too.

If you have fond memories of PQ, don't be scared by the multiple currencies and give it a try.
Gold is to do fights (usually 50-80 per fight....I'm constantly over 1K).
Souls (number of enemies defeated in fights) are used to train (level up) characters.
Wings...I can't remeber.

The main thing is gold anyway....and you earn everything by playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom