• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen |OT| We don't praise the sun around here

blado

I guess terribad hitboxes, horrible scaling/item placement, broken Poise, artificial cheap difficulty, sloppy movement calibrations, phoned in animation work compared to Demon's/Dark1, bait and switch PR on visuals that weren't even enabled on PC yet still exist in the engine code, and Soul Memory is the quid pro quo for a "awesome sequel". Sorry, but this Kool-Aid just ain't my flavor.

So in order to not have to type anything to rip anybody's suggestion that DkS2 is a "good sequel" to a Souls game to shreds, I'll let these vids which I 100% agree with do it for me. Just go ask any of the high level challenge runners/high level PvP players if DkS2 is a "good sequel". Martyrs, Foxeo, Somethodox, Vageta311, LobosJr, me, etc, etc who all did 1000's of hours of crazy challenge running and/or high-level PvP, they all at the very least are disappointed in DkS2.

I agree 110% here with Matt, although I'd argue from a challenge running and PvP perspective it's a even further step backwards.

Also, my bro Martyrs gives a perfect analysis of the issues with PvP in these two vids-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5olH7ibNjHA&list=UUqJCM9Tq_iZ6yqAqCgaGKjQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M5Yz1Z__ek&list=UUqJCM9Tq_iZ6yqAqCgaGKjQ&index=30

And finally, Martyrs echoes exactly my thoughts on talking/typing about DkS2 with the context of this vid as well as it's title. That's you never see me in the DkS2 OT...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHGgPdXi4k4&index=21&list=UUqJCM9Tq_iZ6yqAqCgaGKjQ

How about we talk about the game in the thread title, and stop attacking people's opinions on games unrelated to the topic?

Would I like this game if I am intrigued by the concept of the Souls games but A) dislike the combat and B) hate the idea of re-doing the same areas?

No you wouldn't like it. Combat is what makes Souls what it is, as redoing areas you fail. Why would you want to play a game where you dislike what you're going to be doing most of the game? What intrigues you about the Souls series?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
No you wouldn't like it. Combat is what makes Souls what it is, as redoing areas you fail. Why would you want to play a game where you dislike what you're going to be doing most of the game? What intrigues you about the Souls series?

I can only speak for myself, but I would have liked DS more if you didn't have to redo large areas so frequently. I didn't have any issue with the combat other than that it was a bit too hard, which led to redoing large areas.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
How are you guys liking the game a few days in?

still loving it

Man, I cant remember all those places that had
barriers
now that I have the
gauntlet upgrade
:/

Zafir

yo, why do I keep giving potions to ppl? >_>

gave to the
guards
, now
they want me to get rid of some demon to clear the way, ive cleared the place and they still won go, what am I looking for? :(
I'd love to know that too. I ended up just leaving the area and continuing on because I couldn't find what they were on about.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'd love to know that too. I ended up just leaving the area and continuing on because I couldn't find what they were on about.

i figured that out btw,
its one of those multi armed guys that spawned in the early rooms (where you pressed the switches initially)

just found a secret in the very first room of the game, but it leads to a...locked door >_>

Zafir

i figured that out btw,
its one of those multi armed guys that spawned in the early rooms (where you pressed the switches initially)

just found a secret in the very first room of the game, but it leads to a...locked door >_>
Oh right thanks. I dunno whether I can be bothered going back through the catacombs for a third time just yet so hopefully they stick around.

Man, I need ONE more
human skull
, ugh I dont even know where I should start looking.

I guess this might be spoiler-ish so ill tag it just incase, but
something i havent really seen mentioned is how new enemies start spawning in old areas as u progress further and further, and some are permanent while others are much tougher and wont spawn again. Really cool stuff.

Jolkien

Man, I need ONE more
human skull
, ugh I dont even know where I should start looking.

I guess this might be spoiler-ish so ill tag it just incase, but
something i havent really seen mentioned is how new enemies start spawning in old areas as u progress further and further, and some are permanent while others are much tougher and wont spawn again. Really cool stuff.

I found a lot of skull in the catacombs. I cleared the demon realm before, so I had to go back to the NPC.

Rhaknar

if you get the skull cheevo does that mean you got them all? cause I got it

edit: I keep finding secrets and I cant fully access (eventually leads to locked doors and whatnot) and it drives me nuts. After you go in the
pathway to the demon world a second time
, is that the end game or will you
come out again
? they make it sound like you are
going in there to kill the demon god guy, and I still have stuff to figure out outside

I'm still enjoying it too. Have you tried the solace magic tree for your rogue to make him more sturdy? I love the fist weapons. Wish you could raise crit hit chance & not just damage.
I picked deception because I figure mimic would he a nice dps enhancer. I just started the pathway. Also I think I skipped over two sides quests.
The one where Yet asks for a dagger, and the 3 symbols for the monk.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
guys, how can I see on the xbox if the update was installed with the game on the xbox one?

Started the game with a rogue. got my ass kicked and changed it to a sword fighter.
Just finished the first boss,
i got his sword, but i think everyone who beats him gets it? still not strong enough to use it

so far, it is really nice.good atmosphere, the music is good. the voice acting is not the worst I have ever heard. it is mediocre. some of the audio logs you can find are even good!
no tearing, a few slow downs, no bugs so far.
right now it is a 8/10 for me.

So I may get this game and have been wondering what are the differences between the ps4 and One version?

ps4 is 1080p xbox one is 900p. besides that we know nothing.

Playing PS4 version here. I've made it past the 3rd Lord (which became quite easy to beat once I learned his patterns). The game is providing a decent challenge, I'm playing as a rouge, no shield, no magic and STILL using the entry level daggers. I'm having quite a few bugs/glitches though.. not just frame drops and tearing, but often times weird freezes/lockups. One lockup lasted about 45 seconds until the game snapped back to life. My biggest complaint so far is the camera position in tight spaces while fighting, drives me nuts. Overall though, playing as a dagger weilding rouge is providing a fun playthrough (granted I haven't made it very far though.. only 6 hours in).

Finally my game is here and installing, can't play it until tonight.

Is the included DLC game breaking? sometimes I like to start a game without any extras and return later to use them.

Ferr986

guys, how can I see on the xbox if the update was installed with the game on the xbox one?

Started the game with a rogue. got my ass kicked and changed it to a sword fighter.
Just finished the first boss,
i got his sword, but i think everyone who beats him gets it? still not strong enough to use it

I got that sword too, dunno if its a 100% drop. Using the monk staff though, I like the speed of the weapon.
Started as a warrior but now Im wearing the Cleric armor and the staff for dat faster roll.

Im just at the 2nd boss but I liked what I played yesterday.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Oh, what the hell, went out and bought it. Can't be a bigger letdown than The Evil Within, and I'm not expecting the world so hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

ZangBa

if you get the skull cheevo does that mean you got them all? cause I got it

edit: I keep finding secrets and I cant fully access (eventually leads to locked doors and whatnot) and it drives me nuts. After you go in the
pathway to the demon world a second time
, is that the end game or will you
come out again
? they make it sound like you are
going in there to kill the demon god guy, and I still have stuff to figure out outside

No, I got the trophy for finding the skulls before I found all of them.

Also, I suggest everyone do whatever side-quests you have before killing the Annihilator because a couple of them will be unavailable afterwords. I couldn't finish one of them. :/

theDeeDubs

Hm, I would say so but they're not entirely balanced. I don't know, maybe it's because the roll isn't as effective for counter-attacks in this game and I rely on the roll being awesome in Souls. I've said it before, the mobs recover from their attacks way too fast. It's a good evasion tool most of the time, you just can't counter with it.

This is exactly how I feel. Unfortunately it ruins most of what I love about Souls. I read some Souls vets talk about enjoying this game more once they packed on some heavy armor and traded blows instead trying to not get hit all the time, and even though I went in thinking maybe they were exaggerating, I ended up agreeing with them completely. The combat just isn't tuned well for light armor players and it mainly comes down to enemy attack animation recovery and shield hitboxes.

This game is super easy with heavy armor and cheap and poorly tuned for light armor. That said, it's still fun, and I plan to do a light armor only run at some point. This game is in desperate need of bows I think.

BumRush

Ummmm how do you consistently (and preferably relatively quickly) take down the larger of the shield dudes? I'm rolling a strength build with a great sword and a tower shield and no other enemy haa given me a tenth as much trouble (spiders included)

ced

Ummmm how do you consistently (and preferably relatively quickly) take down the larger of the shield dudes? I'm rolling a strength build with a great sword and a tower shield and no other enemy haa given me a tenth as much trouble (spiders included)

Gauntlet projectile can at least whittle them down a bit. Shields don't seem to block it.

Sprint plus L1 to knock their guard down then get a hit.

kencey

Just bought the game and first thing i notice is the Chromatic Aberration. Is there a way to disable it ? It's teeerrible.

Finally my game is here and installing, can't play it until tonight.

Is the included DLC game breaking? sometimes I like to start a game without any extras and return later to use them.

Not game breaking at all, the weapons pack items have like 1 extra point of damage. I never touched them as I found a better weapon right away. They just look cool, that's all.

Lux R7

Stopped right before the graveyard boss, gotta go to work.
I'm having so much fun but, i have o say, i'm still looking for my weapon of choice.
Found a beautiful greataxe, but still can't use it.

At fourth boss, Infiltrator, and still loving it! There are so many secrets around! I have no idea how I'm able to open all the chests and doors, my OCD is kicking in and I can't continue further! :)

Great game. And no, I haven't played much of those Souls games, but rest assured that I'll hop to Bloodborne day 1.

Heh I figured you couldn't kill any NPC, so I took a swing at
KRUHL or whatever with my Greataxe since his loud, repetitive yelling was annoying me and promptly one-shotted him. Guess it's really just story characters you can't kill.

haha awesome. I was thinking about swinging at him after I got that shield for the same reason that he was obnoxious and annoying. "KRUHOKGHHRRK!!!!".... shut up.

GHG

Just installed on PC. Updating nvidia drivers and will then play.

Is there a framerate lock option in the game?

Gurrry

Ok so i am at the 4th boss (i might have gone the wrong way but its the
spider boss
. ) But i do like ZERO damage. Im a "strength build" wearing medium armor. I am using the Polearm i believe. Its a 2 handed only weapon that requires 12 strength.

But i dont understand why my damage is so low on the bosses. It is definitely quite the challenge, but i feel like i am doing something wrong.

Any tips?

Ok so i am at the 4th boss (i might have gone the wrong way but its the
spider boss
. ) But i do like ZERO damage. Im a "strength build" wearing medium armor. I am using the Polearm i believe. Its a 2 handed only weapon that requires 12 strength.

But i dont understand why my damage is so low on the bosses. It is definitely quite the challenge, but i feel like i am doing something wrong.

Any tips?

I was like at 20 strength when I took on that boss, simply for the sake of being able to use a stronger weapon. I would maybe level up a little.

ironcreed

Banned
How are you guys liking the game a few days in?

The more I play, the more I love it.

- Great challenge with many different enemies to master
- Long and engaging boss battles
- The feeling of venturing out to far and danger lurking around every corner
- Wonderfully dark atmosphere and intertwining world design like the Souls series
- Meaty gameplay with a fun timing mechanic for combos with each weapon type
- It can look gorgeous and has great gear

1604922_787909024606200_7943259788039778762_n.jpg

10629746_787386227991813_3617341791393736928_n.jpg

1904096_787940464603056_2778517697927524418_n.jpg

Was able to get around an hour of play time in on the xbox one version.

Frame rate is all over the place, feels like i'm playing ocarina of time with it's 24 fps limit.

The combat is rather nice, I have never played a souls game and only seen them so I can't compare, though weapons like the staff are way OP at this point of the game, multiple quick hits and high damage values? why would I choose to use anything else.

ironcreed

Banned
Was able to get around an hour of play time in on the xbox one version.

Frame rate is all over the place, feels like i'm playing ocarina of time with it's 24 fps limit.

The combat is rather nice, I have never played a souls game and only seen them so I can't compare, though weapons like the staff are way OP at this point of the game, multiple quick hits and high damage values? why would I choose to use anything else.

Don't worry, it will get harder. ;)

Pro tip I found out yesterday which I havnt seen posted. Upgrade your projectile gauntlet with a poison ruin. Its awesome. Even with the "lesser" crappy ruin I put on it, it eats down enemies health real quick(some more than others). I have found it to be very effective for certain enemies.

ironcreed

Banned
Pro tip I found out yesterday which I havnt seen posted. Upgrade your projectile gauntlet with a poison ruin. Its awesome. Even with the "lesser" crappy ruin I put on it, it eats down enemies health real quick(some more than others). I have found it to be very effective for certain enemies.

Ah, noted. As someone who loves poison/rotten arrows in the Souls series, I will definitely be making use of this.

ironcreed

Banned
What class is easier to start the game for someone that's not familiar with souls series??

Warrior for sure, but you can wear any gear or use any weapons you want. Don't skip investing some points into faith, though, because some of the warrior magic is a life saver.

Jolkien

Omg found an awesome secret for the Heirloom hammer found in the catacombs.
When you reach the area of the Catacombs called ''The Mines'' soon after you enter the zone there's a small room you can enter on the left with a coffin. You can put the hammer on it and it'll boost the weapon dramaticly. 10 faith req, 120 damage. 30 magical damage in all magical school besides poison.

Decided to head back after the grave yard boss, and realized I missed a few things. So many locked doors though, it's infuriating. >< also can't tell if I missed my chance to do two side quests.

Can't even defeat the first boss, the control are so unresponsive, and the evade roll is sooo slow. Fuck this game.
The evade button has negative edge, if you hold it down you are going to run and if you let it go you will roll. You need to tap the roll button and make sure you are not accidently holding it to long.

Naminator

Banned

Well I turned off Turbulence and it didn't help at all lol, the game still crashes and I didn't even get an FPS boost like at all.

The game doesn't crash too often, but often enough for me to lose my shit lol, I'm on the grave yard boss right now with my Rogue and I'm totally getting my shit kicked in.

It's hilarious how shit I'm at this game considering that I beat Dark Souls 2 on SL1......

Top Bottom