• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2014 No longer in our dreams, memories or just Germany.

Zeeman

GOG is getting Lucasarts games starting tomorrow and among the initial wave of titles is Sam and Max Hit the Road, which hasn't been available for download before.

Throw it my way :)

:p

I'm wondering if I should hold on to it just in case I ever need to get the files for ScummVM. I mean, with it on GOG now I should never need to do that but it is my all-time favorite game so I feel like I should for a "just in case" scenario. Same goes with some other adventure games I still have the disc for. I'm normally fine with all digital but when it comes to the games I really love, which happen to be all adventure games, I get the feeling I should hold on to them.

...why would you lose your bragging points mang?

I just can't stand having "stuff" if I don't need it. I know it's only a disc, but it, along with some other games, are still a small stack I could do without.

I'm just questioning their usefulness at this point. Hit the Road is no longer needed now and soon I can say the same with Grim Fandango. It still leaves about a half dozen of discs I'm waiting to become digitally available. Also, none of these games are complete. I've lost the boxes a long time ago. If they were complete and in good shape then I would probably hold on to them.

epmode

Yeah, I love throwing away old discs. I'll keep a manual around if it's really special but I'm usually happy with a high quality PDF as a replacement.

Card Boy

Banned
The Longest Journey (first game) is out on iOS at least in AU/NZ first.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/longest-journey-remastered/id588470809?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/longest-journey-remastered/id588470809?mt=8

$8.99 AUD, Should be like 6.99 to 7.49USD. Looks like they added AA on it and the subtitles are different.

screen520x924.jpeg

screen520x924.jpeg

Gameplay footage.

That 50hr quote is bullshit by the way. Took me 14-15hrs to clock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05lDCwcQZ-Y

Mr_Zombie

It looks like its stretched out to fit widescreen. Ew :/
And it's a shame they didn't improve character models. Even when I played the game for the first time character models looked ugly to me.

That 50hr quote is bullshit by the way. Took me 14-15hrs to clock.

You sure about that? I remember the game being really long. Much longer than the average adventure game I played at the time.

Fuz

Banned
Yeah, it was pretty long. Maybe shorter than Monkey 2, tho. Don't remember exactly how long did it take for me.

I'm playing through Black Mirror right now and I haven't played a point and click game in years. I'm really enjoying it now that I can go look up hints when I'm stuck instead of spending years working on where to go next. It took me 15 years of on and off playing to beat King's Quest 3 because I couldn't find the key to unlock the cabinet in the den that grants you the magic wand.

inm8num2

I'm playing through Black Mirror right now and I haven't played a point and click game in years. I'm really enjoying it now that I can go look up hints when I'm stuck instead of spending years working on where to go next. It took me 15 years of on and off playing to beat King's Quest 3 because I couldn't find the key to unlock the cabinet in the den that grants you the magic wand.

I love the Black Mirror series - do you plan to play the sequels as well?

I love the Black Mirror series - do you plan to play the sequels as well?

Yes, but I might take a break from the series after I finish this one and try something else. I enjoy the atmosphere of the first game quite a bit, it feels like a more modern Colonel's Bequest in a way. But the game crashes a lot and the actual character animations in the game are terrible.

mclem

I'm not sure how many people read this thread, but it would be cool if we did a GAF version of top adventure games of all time. :)

I'd list a load of text adventures no-one else knows, then get all sulky when they get ignored. Perhaps it's for the best :)

inm8num2

Yes, but I might take a break from the series after I finish this one and try something else. I enjoy the atmosphere of the first game quite a bit, it feels like a more modern Colonel's Bequest in a way. But the game crashes a lot and the actual character animations in the game are terrible.

Yea there are some technical flaws with BM (plus the voice acting of Samuel is a little grating, and there's way too much backtracking). The sequels improve on the gameplay and technical aspects, though, as well as maintaining the gothic atmosphere.

I'd list a load of text adventures no-one else knows, then get all sulky when they get ignored. Perhaps it's for the best :)

The more the merrier!

inm8num2

Too much, even! But I don't want to get into Dreamfall > TLJ right now.

Well I'll just quickly agree with you on that. :)

TLJ has deeper gameplay/puzzles but Dreamfall has a better story and pacing. I think the former is a little overrated and the latter is a little underrated. Both are fantastic, though - easily one of my favorite adventure franchises.

epmode

Good game with terrible voice acting and some awful action-oriented levels that prevent it from being one of my favorites.

Tizoc

So I finally got around to starting Blackwell Epiphany.
Zounds this game is long! I don't recall the first games being THIS long, I'm already 5 hours in and I may have reached the halfway point :p

Still enjoying it though, there are certainly references to the past games that may have gotten over my head but its good to have Rosa and Joey again.

Fuz

Banned
You guys should play Maniac Mansion Deluxe, its free (fan made remaster). Play it before Day of the Tentacle when it hits! (assuming it does on GOG)

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/401/

pc-48927-11353788292.png

Besides an improvement on graphics, they added the Day of the Tentacle inventory system. Previously the original game had just text based inventory items like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade game.

And most importantly, doesn't have the "what is..." verb.

Conezays

You guys should play Maniac Mansion Deluxe, its free (fan made remaster). Play it before Day of the Tentacle when it hits! (assuming it does on GOG)

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/401/

pc-48927-11353788292.png

Besides an improvement on graphics, they added the Day of the Tentacle inventory system. Previously the original game had just text based inventory items like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade game.

You rule for posting this.

TripleSun

A remake huh? I've been told against playing the original because of how much hell it was apparently so let's see what they change in the remake.

Tizoc

Best adventure game in ages. That and Dreamfall Chapters, anyway.

I just realized that they
didn't follow up on the ending from the 4th game. I mean they could still make another game that takes place between 4 and 5 to resolve it.
OR make a game starring Joey as ends that plot point

TripleSun

Man finally just finished Blackwell Epiphany and man I gotta say the games just kept getting better and better. Tears were shed in the final game too. Really got me going. Really going to miss this series, one of my favorites for sure. The ending was perfect too.

Haunted

This isn't even mentioning all the hidden object point and click stuff which there are hundreds of. Alot of that list is on Android aswell in case anyone cares.
This is actually an interesting point I wanted to bring up in this thread one of these days.

These hidden object games have become pretty damn sophisticated.

I mean, production-wise, they still don't hold a candle to a "properly" produced point and click adventure game, sporting mostly static images, noticeably low-budget animation and cheap-looking cutscenes - but you know... from a pure structural and gameplay pov, they've actually started to come into their own, eventually approaching some sort of proto-streamlined adventure game stage (streamlined as in less complexity and simplified controls - think Broken Age). They're often telling an involved story with a clear arc, have a logical progression to their puzzles, inventory management, combinable inventory, inventory puzzles, some of them even sport selectable dialogue options.

Another thing I've noticed is that these types of games (I'm specifically referring to the last couple I've had the pleasure of playing (Ravenwood, Nightmare from the Deep, Grim Legends)) often have strong, empowered, resourceful female protagonists that are not written particularly deeply, but make it easily possible for the targeted female audience to project themselves into the role, which is something worth praising while other segments of the market struggle with female representation and characterisation in games.

While there's still a lot of cheap shit and a big majority are shoddily produced cash-grabs for casual sites, I was surprised to see the high quality of some of the newer games in the genre - which, as an indicator of this, have moved on from being simply "hidden object games" to containing buzzwords like puzzle and adventure in the description.

This is actually an interesting point I wanted to bring up in this thread one of these days.

I mean, production-wise, they still don't hold a candle to a "properly" produced point and click adventure game, sporting mostly static images, noticeably low-budget animation and cheap-looking cutscenes - but you know... from a pure structural and gameplay pov, they've actually started to come into their own, eventually approaching some sort of proto-streamlined adventure game stage (streamlined as in less complexity and simplified controls - think Broken Age). They're often telling an involved story with a clear arc, have a logical progression to their puzzles, inventory management, combinable inventory, inventory puzzles, some of them even sport selectable dialogue options.

Another thing I've noticed is that these types of games (I'm specifically referring to the last couple I've had the pleasure of playing (Ravenwood, Nightmare from the Deep, Grim Legends)) often have strong, empowered, resourceful female protagonists that are not written particularly deeply, but make it easily possible for the targeted female audience to project themselves into the role, which is something worth praising while other segments of the market struggle with female representation and characterisation in games.

While there's still a lot of cheap shit and a big majority are shoddily produced cash-grabs for casual sites, I was surprised to see the high quality of some of the newer games in the genre - which, as an indicator of this, have moved on from being simply "hidden object games" to containing buzzwords like puzzle and adventure in the description.

Great points. There's actually a few hidden object games I've played that have really impressed me. I wish I could remember the name of the one I'm thinking of specifically, but I'm posting from bed. I think it's called Drawn or something. Beautiful little game. Worth a look. I'll update with the actual title , but there are some respectable hidden object games.

inm8num2

The Artifex Mundi games (Nightmares from the Deep, Abyss, etc.) are especially well done. While HOGs may be "casual" and not very deep in terms of challenge, quite frankly some of them have better design and internal logic than other adventure games coming out these days. Like you said: clear story arc, logical progression, good use of inventory, etc.

I'm a believer.

Um... can someone explain what exactly a hidden object game is? <_< I keep hearing the term, usually negatively, and from what I understand it seems to be some sort of simplified adventure game for the casual mobile crowd (?) but... I don't know, it's not like the gameplay in adventure games is inaccessible or hard to grasp in the first place. How exactly do hidden object games differ?

Um... can someone explain what exactly a hidden object game is? <_< I keep hearing the term, usually negatively, and from what I understand it seems to be some sort of simplified adventure game for the casual mobile crowd (?) but... I don't know, it's not like the gameplay in adventure games is inaccessible or hard to grasp in the first place. How exactly do hidden object games differ?

You're given a scene, usually cluttered with random junk, and somewhere on the screen is a list of objects to find. Often times one of the items you find is story-related and is required to move forward in the game. They differ from point-and-click adventures in that they normally don't involve any puzzles at all. There are some hidden object games that mix in traditional puzzles but I don't see it happen often.

They're just much, much easier and rarely require any actual thinking like traditional adventure games do. Pick-up-and-play for a few minutes without having to worry about putting time into a puzzle or exploring, which people do find off-putting about adventure games.

I enjoy playing them every now and then.

Top Bottom