• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ion Storm's lost Deus Ex Sequels (Eurogamer)

Denton

This is an extremely interesting article, great job Joe Martin!
Read the whole thing if you are interested in Deus Ex franchise.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-16-ion-storms-lost-deus-ex-sequels

Ultimately, Min took the project in a different direction to any of the proposals put forward. Insurrection instead became a prequel to the first game, casting you as JC Denton's father/clone, Blake. Again, you'd have been a spy for the US government.

"We wanted to get back to the roots of the original game," says Min. "I wanted real world locations that were relatable, as opposed to a futurist world where things weren't grounded like the original one."

According to Min's story documents, the first mission would begin with the discovery that Chinese forces had covertly infiltrated the US and end with a 'Roswell event' that exposed you to mysterious, human-enhancing technology. It would be unclear where the technology came from but as more events occurred you'd research their origin, gain new abilities and ally with America, China or the EU.

Denton

I like Jordan Thomas's take a lot, open world Deus Ex set in a single city...

we have never had a game like that. I just hope Cyberpunk 2077 will deliver when nobody else seems to even attempt it.

But though Thomas' passion for the series is clear, his vision was radically different to anything the studio had attempted before. To put it plainly, Thomas put the team to work creating the first truly open-world Deus Ex game - one which sacrificed globe-trotting intrigue for a single cyberpunk city; New Orleans.

Three's Company

The first key to Thomas' vision was an entirely new way of telling stories using a generative system which created unique missions derived from your in-game actions. He compares the system to the approach eventually used in Far Cry 2, saying the aim was to create a story which was guided, rather than dictated.

Thomas' story still set the game as a prequel to the original Deus Ex and continued with the idea of casting you as JC's father. The difference was that, in Deus Ex 3, you were a biotech firm's failed experiment. Cast-off by your creators and starting on a literal scrapheap, you'd have no choice but to become a mercenary.

And that's where the generated stories would come in, providing randomised missions that enabled you to climb from experimental reject to the super-soldier of choice for the companies responsible. Eventually, after enough missions, you could stand in the same room as the CEOs that created you - and kill them, if you wanted.

IcyEyes

A Deus Ex open world ?

O_O

I'm already over-hyped about Cyberpunk 2077 and this news about DeusEx is just awesome.
I really hope they will stick with this idea!

Jackpot

Banned
'Infiltrate The Cult' took place after Invisible War, canonising the JC Denton ending where humanity is linked together by nanite-enabled groupthink. In this story, Paul Denton organises an offline resistance and prolongs his own life using Illuminati cryogenics.

That would have been interesting.

Oh man, this makes me so sad. It really delves into the insight on how developers think back then. Deus Ex 3's squad building, multi-branching and freeform approach is really what a next-gen sandbox is supposed to be. It really is unfortunate that this concept never made it off the shelves.

Kezen

Banned
A Deus Ex open world ?

O_O

I'm already over-hyped about Cyberpunk 2077 and this news about DeusEx is just awesome.
I really hope they will stick with this idea!

The next Deus Ex by Eidos Montreal will surely be open world so your wish will be granted.

Dunan

This reminds me to finally pull Alpha Protocol down from the shelf.

I just finished Deus Ex for the first time, 12 years late and 2 years after having a great time with HR. All of those unfinished games sound fascinating.

stn

Dang, it all sounds amazing. Oh well, HR was awesome. I have faith in the next sequel coming out.

Top Bottom