• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 |OT| ...Maria...MARIA!!!

cresto

PTCoakley said:
I just want the shotgun randomness fixed. Outside of that, the game is pretty fun. There is still an issue with lag, but I can overlook that if we can just make the shot not be either amazing overpowered or incredibly weak and innaccurate.
Agreed! I don't get why the fuck it has that host problem on top of the random times it *thinks* about shooting. Anyone have that? I'll hit the right trigger and then 2 seconds later the shell comes flying out, by the time i realize the damn thing is fucked im getting chainsawed! :mad:

DubloSeven said:
Woot, I love waiting for 20 minutes and then getting thrown into a laggy game.

Brilliant.

If it takes you more than 30 seconds to start rounding up teammates its time to restart the match making... Trust me, when you cancel and start over, it figures it out and you get the games rolling.

Zezboob

Jazzy Network said:
I hope we get older maps as DLC. I need Fuel Depot and Escalation.
I hope not, even if these maps are great (well, I prefer War Machine over Escalation, but that's not the point).

I didn't buy Gears 2 in order to play Gears 1.

I want new great maps. The difficult part is the "great".

But what I really want... it's dedicated servers... some of which europeans. Tired to get lag in almost every match against north american players.
(yup, ranting about it again :D)

Me and my brother finally beat the game today and although the ending was seriously
anti climatic.
The whole thing was such a absolutely epic ride.
And somehow the game just continues to look better and better with the crowning jewel being Jacinto. 2nd best game I have played this year.

bumpkin

PTCoakley said:
I just want the shotgun randomness fixed. Outside of that, the game is pretty fun. There is still an issue with lag, but I can overlook that if we can just make the shot not be either amazing overpowered or incredibly weak and innaccurate.
Same here. I can't think of the last time I was killed by anything but a gnasher in my matches. The stats on the official site say it's only responsible for 27% of my deaths, but that's probably because my deaths in Horde are offsetting it; there's usually a variety of things I get killed by in that! :lol

Either way, I'm getting sick of being in cover, having some asshole with a gnasher rush me, and when they get too close, all I can do is try and run and get blown to bits or stand and fight and still get blown to bits. It's just plain retarded.

...stopping power, my ass.

BruceLeeRoy said:
Me and my brother finally beat the game today and although the ending was seriously
anti climatic.
The whole thing was such a absolutely epic ride.

Well if it's gonna be a trilogy the 2nd part is usually
anti climatic.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Aladuf said:
So it seems in the week I took off from Gears that the Boomshield glitch has been found out by.. everyone? I played 6 total Wingman matches with Third earlier tonight and 5 out of those 6 times we encountered someone using that glitch with their shotty out just mowing though people. The only reason I'm sure it wasn't used in the one match was because the Boomshield wasn't on the map, and even that match was fucked up because we had 2 Theron Guard teams and 2 Marcus teams. This game's glitches and the guys that endlessly exploit them for the "hurr, easy win" can seriously fuck off.

Guess I'll just forget about Gears again, it's not so hard to do these days with the amount of bullshit.

Seconded. The boomshield glitch is game-breaking, and worse yet it's prolific.

Kolgar

I like this game less every time I play it.

My main gripes are weapon strength and lag. Yhe lancer and hammerburst are worthless. The lag compounds the problem of weak guns, resulting in situations where *I* die after emptying a full clip into someone's chest from 10 feet away.

Seriously, I love Gears' style of "stop-and-pop" gameplay, but this sequel hurt the franchise. I put in UT3 last night after a couple hours of frustration and actually had FUN with the game - which is why I play in the first place.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I don't think the multiplayer would have been as disappointing had Epic not repeatedly stressed the importance of balancing it out more. I remember at one point Cliffy bragging about how a shotgunner shouldn't try rushing a lancer anymore thanks to stopping power, and that matches would become more than shotty brawls in the center of the map.

Well...

DOO13ER said:
I don't think the multiplayer would have been as disappointing had Epic not repeatedly stressed the importance of balancing it out more. I remember at one point Cliffy bragging about how a shotgunner shouldn't try rushing a lancer anymore thanks to stopping power, and that matches would become more than shotty brawls in the center of the map.

Well...
In his defense maybe he meant it wouldn't be possible over LAN :|

EazyB

Banned
You guys would be surprised at how fun
and effective
it is to go into matchmaking and decide to only chainsaw people. Think of it as Gears' meta-game.

Zezboob

EazyB said:
You guys would be surprised at how fun
and effective
it is to go into matchmaking and decide to only chainsaw people. Think of it as Gears' meta-game.
Haha, at the beginning of every match, I shot on a wall with the shotgun to measure how important is the lag.
If there is no or almost no lag I keep the shotgun. In the other case, I take my lancer, ready to chainsaw ! :D

DOO13ER said:

Well...
That's because Epic tested the game the way it's 'supposed' to be played, and the general public still plays like Gears 1. Everyone's already hitting the left D-pad as soon as the round starts - myself included. At first I believed the hype, and would swap out power weapons with the shotgun because I thought the Lancer would be better. I've come to realize that as long as people keep playing like this, the only thing the Lancer is good for is to stop someone with the Scorcher.

I still try to use it every now and then, but I'm very suprised if I get a kill with it. Personally, it's just a better feeling to be right up in someone's face and get the gib rather than standing 15-20 feet away to get the down then run in for the finish.

Zezboob

Uh, when there is no lag the stopping power is really effective.

You can't anymore run simply in front of a guy to shoot him.

Brakara

Kolgar said:
Seriously, I love Gears' style of "stop-and-pop" gameplay, but this sequel hurt the franchise.

Not really. The campaign is, IMHO, much better in every way. If anything, I'm more excited for Gears 3 now than I were for Gears 2 after playing the first one. And that's even without taking into account Horde, which has all kinds of possibilites in a sequel.

The versus is a whole different story of course. Then again, I didn't get into it in the first game for the same reason I haven't gotten into it in this. It just doesn't play like the campaign, which is the gameplay I love. The main reason, I think, is because the enemies in the campaign doesn't have regen health. If they had, the assault rifles would probably be as useless there as in versus. So one of the problems is that the weapons have mainly been balanced for the campaign (where they're great), and not for the versus.

So what would be my quick fix (for someone who doesn't like the versus in either Gears 1 or 2):

1. Make the shotgun a power weapon with limited ammo
2. Only start with an assault rifle and the pistol
3. Balance the ammo for all power weapons (e.g., less for the boomshot, only one frag grenade, etc.)
4. Have some sort of stamina for rolling so that you can't just roll and roll and roll and so on. Maybe limit it to two or three rolls within X amount of seconds. Rolling in Gears versus is just as stupid (to me) as bunny hopping in other shooters.

A more controversial suggestion would be to get rid of regen health at all. But I'm not sure about that. Of course, Gears versus veterans would probably not like any of these. But these are the things I think I would enjoy to have in a Gears versus match. Well, at least compared to how it is today (bugs, lag and glitches aside).

Aladuf

Banned
<3 shotty brawls

Just the other night when Third and I were playing, I straight up fucked 4 guys who were circling in on me at once. Lots of running, jumping, and two-piecing brought them down and left my heart pumping. That was the first time I felt the feeling that I craved in Gears 1, the same feeling that made Gears 1 so goddamn awesome, come back to me in Gears 2. Despite cheating fucks, and glitchy Wingman teams, that was one of the more satisfying *matchmaking* nights I've had in Gears 2 so far.

I can see myself returning to Gears 2 again since all I need to do is avoid what I was doing up until a couple of weeks ago, which was playing for hours a night and not touching other games.

Oh, and I know the chainsaw is pretty much the crown jewel of Gears of War and all but to me there's nothing really satisfying about using it as a gun or getting a chainsaw kill in multiplayer. Anyone can do it, especially in this game.

Zezboob said:
Uh, when there is no lag the stopping power is really effective.

You can't anymore run simply in front of a guy to shoot him.
Yeah stopping power pretty much only works effectively in local or system link. The only problem is whenever I have a Gears LAN everyone would rather play horde.

EazyB

Banned
Aladuf said:
Oh, and I know the chainsaw is pretty much the crown jewel of Gears of War and all but to me there's nothing really satisfying about using it as a gun or getting a chainsaw kill in multiplayer. Anyone can do it, especially in this game.
You fail to understand the satisfaction of hearing the other team scream "chainsaw noob!" after winning a KotH match with with 41 kills; all but one being chainsaw kills.

Aladuf

Banned
_dementia said:
Yeah stopping power pretty much only works effectively in local or system link. The only problem is whenever I have a Gears LAN everyone would rather play horde.
This is true, I've bodied the hell out of a few people with my shotty while running through their Lancer shots. Granted I did slow down, I also covered long distances and I was never downed.

Zezboob

Hai Epic, keep letting the players quit a game without loosing points.
Tonight I finally found a good patch to improve my Gears 2 experience. Every time there is lag, my team quit. Only playing when the connection is correct (it doesn't even mean great)

Yeah people, that's sucks, blame Epic for not having a correct netcode, for not having a social matchmaking to let people play only with people with good ping (most of the time from the same country) and blame Microsoft for not having dedicated servers. But definitely improved my experience.

Love, Epic.

EazyB said:
You fail to understand the satisfaction of hearing the other team scream "chainsaw noob!" after winning a KotH match with with 41 kills; all but one being chainsaw kills.
Aaaaah, every time that sounds like music to my ears.

cresto

Memphis Reigns said:
wat teh fuk at it still taking 49 minutes to find a game.
you've got to be joking man...if you actually waited that long for a game, wow. just restart the search and it will work better, jesus

ergo said:
you've got to be joking man...if you actually waited that long for a game, wow. just restart the search and it will work better, jesus

yah man, i was joking/exaggerating. i thought that was obvious. it was really between like 5-10 mins and that was only because I got caught up watchin football waiting.

ive noticed lately that lately in online matches, games are more and more looking like gears 1 matches, ie. shotgun matches in the middle of the map, the only difference is people are just aiming their shotguns instead of blindfiring...has anyone else noticed this?

I have cause I suck with a shotgun, at least I think I do, that or I just have a bad connection...seems like whenever I get into a shotgun battle, I always lose...its so frustrating!!

Aladuf

Banned
JimtotheHum said:
ive noticed lately that lately in online matches, games are more and more looking like gears 1 matches, ie. shotgun matches in the middle of the map, the only difference is people are just aiming their shotguns instead of blindfiring...has anyone else noticed this?
Yep and I love it, it's Gears baby. :)

cresto

JimtotheHum said:

I have cause I suck with a shotgun, at least I think I do, that or I just have a bad connection...seems like whenever I get into a shotgun battle, I always lose...its so frustrating!!
i've noticed most of the "good" players like to rush you and then two piece shotty. i played a guy who killed roughly 12 people and his strat was to roll a fuckton and then two piece. actually is really annoying.

this is not the game i was hoping for

ergo said:
i've noticed most of the "good" players like to rush you and then two piece shotty. i played a guy who killed roughly 12 people and his strat was to roll a fuckton and then two piece. actually is really annoying.

this is not the game i was hoping for

Er good players doesn't equal good teams. I've seen players get 10+ kills, but still lose. Why? Easy. They don't play as a team. THey bum rush, kill 2 maybe 3 guys while their teammates get killed right before and the idiot sometimes run into 2 or 3 groups of guys who can easily take him down just revving. So fuck I don't care if I don't do awesome, just good enough to contribute to wins.

And if you keep dying by a shotty rusher, stick with your fucking team. If you're not that good, don't go off by yourself. You're asking for it otherwise.

Stop playing this game like Halo and CoD people. Your K/D ratio isn't as important in Gears. What matters is your W/L ratio.

Aladuf

Banned
God, Wingman tonight was so good. Matchmaking was more lag free than ever and there were no glitchers. More nights like this and I'll be a happy camper.

Insaniac

first matchmaking game i played I think i got cheated :( the last two rounds would lag up and my entire team would be dead after 5 seconds of lag.

Aladuf said:
God, Wingman tonight was so good. Matchmaking was more lag free than ever and there were no glitchers. More nights like this and I'll be a happy camper.
Plus the fact that we were winning, and when we didn't we were still in a close second. We both pulled off some crazy shit tonight. :D

Aladuf

Banned
ThirdEngine said:
Plus the fact that we were winning, and when we didn't we were still in a close second. We both pulled off some crazy shit tonight. :D
For real..

I came up on people from the front and was like:

f2bfs.jpg

And then you'd come up from behind them and be like:

Janine.jpg

We were getting kills like crazy with them tactics.

Aladuf said:
For real..

I came up on people from the front and was like:

f2bfs.jpg

And then you'd come up from behind them and be like:

Janine.jpg

We were getting kills like crazy with them tactics.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Greatest. Post. Ever. I can't stop laughing.

Penguin

Aladuf said:

I thought you were studying for the rest of the night? :lol

Scarecrow

I love the inpromptu one on one interactions with an enemy. In one match, after I got some frag grenades, an enemy on the other team turned out to be mirroring my exact actions, as we met each other on the opposite side of map. We both plowed our mutual grenades into each other and just stood there looking at each other before the inevitable.

I also find endless entertainment when me and an enemy are both down/not out crawling against each other and waving. :lol

Aladuf

Banned
Penguin said:
I thought you were studying for the rest of the night? :lol
I got on a little after midnight to play since my brain was just melting from all the studying.

DubloSeven said:
Whoa, what's your avatar from?
Already answered by someone else hours ago but once again, it's from the sexiness known as Killzone 2. :D

cresto

Jazzy Network said:
Er good players doesn't equal good teams. I've seen players get 10+ kills, but still lose. Why? Easy. They don't play as a team. THey bum rush, kill 2 maybe 3 guys while their teammates get killed right before and the idiot sometimes run into 2 or 3 groups of guys who can easily take him down just revving. So fuck I don't care if I don't do awesome, just good enough to contribute to wins.

And if you keep dying by a shotty rusher, stick with your fucking team. If you're not that good, don't go off by yourself. You're asking for it otherwise.

Stop playing this game like Halo and CoD people. Your K/D ratio isn't as important in Gears. What matters is your W/L ratio.
First of all, I played gears up until the release of Gears 2. Second I hate both COD4 and HALO3 so dont assume I have that mentality. If you check my stats you'll see that i know what I am doing, I normally am the guy who has 10+ kills a game AND i try to communicate as much as possible but no one fucking else does so what am i suppose to do? thats why i hate guardian because it just turns into a stupid mess with random people. no one talks and so the leader goes off and gets killed by himself.

i played a game on gridlock recently and all the guys did was throw smokes and rush through middle to melee shotgun combo. i know how to play, its just annoying and pretty damn cheap

look up my stats at http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/WebStats/default.htm GT: freight train68

Kolgar said:
I like this game less every time I play it.

My main gripes are weapon strength and lag. Yhe lancer and hammerburst are worthless. The lag compounds the problem of weak guns, resulting in situations where *I* die after emptying a full clip into someone's chest from 10 feet away.

Seriously, I love Gears' style of "stop-and-pop" gameplay, but this sequel hurt the franchise. I put in UT3 last night after a couple hours of frustration and actually had FUN with the game - which is why I play in the first place.
Calling the Hammerburst worthless is factually incorrect.

CliffyB

Playah
h3ro said:
Epic is busy counting money and CliffyB's life was made when they got their own cereal, so they could give a flying pile about bugs, exploits and lag.

I assure everyone in this thread that we care VERY much about issues with our products. I can't go into detail here (not the right place to do so) but we ARE working on fixes and tweaks and I'm still reading this thread and other forums on a daily basis and hearing all of the feedback.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Aladuf

Banned
CliffyB said:
I assure everyone in this thread that we care VERY much about issues with our products. I can't go into detail here (not the right place to do so) but we ARE working on fixes and tweaks and I'm still reading this thread and other forums on a daily basis and hearing all of the feedback.

Good man.

whitehawk

Banned
CliffyB said:

Great to hear :D

bumpkin

CliffyB said:

Either nerf the gnasher or up the power of weapons like the lancer... Getting blown into a pile of f'ing chum despite gunning down the a-hole rushing me was only funny the first three or four times. Now it's just monotonous and annoying. When I see someone coming at me with their gnasher drawn, I more or less get ready for the inevitable down and/or death.

Aladuf

Banned
bumpkin said:
Either nerf the gnasher or up the power of weapons like the lancer... Getting blown into a pile of f'ing chum despite gunning down the a-hole rushing me was only funny the first three or four times. Now it's just monotonous and annoying. When I see someone coming at me with their gnasher drawn, I more or less get ready for the inevitable down and/or death.
So use your shotty? I know some people don't love it like the Lancer but you need a close range weapon in Gears. That's why I always drop Lancer for a power weapon, because each power weapon is primarily long range.

Aladuf

Banned
Diablohead said:
Thumbs up to cliffy, we all knew epic was doing something about it :D
Yeah, it was pretty obvious that they'd be working on patches. It's nice to hear Cliff actually say it though. Hopefully they can fix it up real good and have it out soon-ish. :)

Top Bottom