• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a way to clean up the 3DS analog stick?

I dunno how this happened as always make sure my hands are clean before playing and not riddled with food, etc, but there's gunk on my XL's analog. There's more of a smooth resistance now when I push in any direction. It kinda slows things down, and worst of all, because it's slower to return back to neutral position, it's effecting input command.

I almost feel like I need to open it up and clean the gunk off like a mouse's ball.

Anyone else have this problem? Any recommendations?

OmegaFax

iFixit or YouTube.. there's guides on how to replace the circle pad. Just use the disassembly guide to clean the underside of the nub and the mechanism with a q-tip. Probably would recommend an ammonia/alcohol free cleaner ... something that ain't harsh. Maybe you could slide something thin under the pad and try cleaning it that way.

Dryk

It doesn't matter if your hands are clean since that gunk is mostly a combination of sweat and dead skin cells

Kansoku

Dry toothbrush.

I was having this problem a few weeks ago. It would get a little stuck in some directions, and would return very, very slowly. Just cleaned it well with a dry used toothbrush and the problems went away. (Tho, it' coming back, because it's hot as fuck where I live and I'm sweating a lot.)

Dryk

Its the worst when you get gunk on controller, especially between the two shells. Toothpick works wonder there.

Dualshock 2, I am looking at you.
I have a staple remover that's the right size for the grooves in my mouse, it doesn't get all of it though

So I tried the toothbrush method and it didn't help.

I called up Nintendo to see if anything else can be done, and they offered to have it sent in to fix for $125. To basically clean-up the analog stick. Amazon has brand new XL's for $199 bucks, and the New 3DS is on the horizon. How on earth they think this is a fair repair price is beyond me. I just politely declined, but I'm super disappointed in their customer service.

I'm just gonna open it up myself with some youtube tutorials since it's outta warranty anyway.

Top Bottom