• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elliot Quest [OT] 1080pff. 60 frames per whatever. Who cares, play this game instead.

Yuterald

launch-date.jpg

Elliot Quest
Developed by: Ansimuz Games
Platform: PC/Steam + a potential Wii U release?
Price: $10
Release Date: November 10, 2014
Buy now dumb-dumbs!

Screen-Shot-2014-06-29-at-9.57.12-PM.png

What the fuck is this?
A totally rad game clearly inspired by Zelda 2, only it's actually fun to play. It's got a splash of Faxanadu and Ys as well. Plus, it's a Metroid-whatever-ia!

GAF Impressions:
My Let's Play of Elliot Quest is up. You can find it here:

http://youtu.be/c5I0gRBZNTM

Quick Impressions:

It's a love letter to The Legend of Zelda 2: Link's Adventure
  • There is an armored guard that has a very similar style but thankfully not similar attack pattern.
  • A kid is missing a cat named "Link"
  • There are two sections of the game. Side Scrolling and Overworld traversal (where you can get interrupted by baddies)
  • Towns and dialogue with NPCs are similar to Zelda 2

Good stuff:

Initial weapon you're equipped with is a bow and arrow (not sure if you get other weapons, but it looks like I have seven more slots left and the other is filled with a candle.)

There are lots and lots of nods and winks towards NES' styling (Megaman-type enemies and bit of Castlevania platforming)

Overall, platforming/action mechanics are solid. Exploration is excellent. Levels and areas locked off by items (I.E. Metroid/Zelda style)

Map system is very helpful and is probably the furthest the game goes in holding your hand. The game can be slightly challenging. Thankfully checkpoints aren't too far apart.

Bad Stuff:

You can skip cutscenes entirely, but you can't accelerate them. If you can read 10 words in two seconds be prepared to wait another eight seconds. Not sure if it's a translation thing, but some of the wording gives a different tone (YMMV).

Bottom Line: Very charming and appropriately difficult.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Loved what I played from it, but not everyone seemed to be warming up to the enemy design and battle controls.

Yuterald

I'm not that far yet, but I think this game is fucking incredible so far. Seriously, where did this game come from? It's competent out of its asshole. Feels super polished and tight. I find it hard to believe this is some studio's first game. It's bursting with experience.

Sweet, this is finally out, I've been following it since I saw it on Kickstarter (or another crowd-funding site).

Sadly, I am swamped with games at the moment, but I will pick this up once I knock a few indies off of my plate.

Yuterald

Sweet, this is finally out, I've been following it since I saw it on Kickstarter (or another crowd-funding site).

Sadly, I am swamped with games at the moment, but I will pick this up once I knock a few indies off of my plate.

I'm swamped too with shit, but this was a total impulse purchase for me. I want to play that new Shantae game so bad, but I'm waiting for the Wii U version to drop. So much stuff to check out and not enough time!

Mendoza

You had me at Zelda II. Then you really had me at Faxanadu.

Then I watched the Let's Play.

I'm sure it gets much better later in the game, but the combat and enemy types shown are boring and uninspired (except that boss). It doesn't help when the guy playing says things like "that was annoying" and "well, that didn't do anything".

It also steals sound effects from Zelda 3. I want to be more interested, but I'll wait for some more impressions.

Yuterald

You had me at Zelda II. Then you really had me at Faxanadu.

Then I watched the Let's Play.

I'm sure it gets much better later in the game, but the combat and enemy types shown are boring and uninspired (except that boss). It doesn't help when the guy playing says things like "that was annoying" and "well, that didn't do anything".

It also steals sound effects from Zelda 3. I want to be more interested, but I'll wait for some more impressions.

I hadn't noticed the Zelda 3 effects, but I guess I haven't been as in tuned while I've been playing. Which effect did it steal? That's always a bummer if true. Not sure what to say about the combat or enemy types. I think the game has had a nice variation so far and there's little touches like a tornado spell that pulls in enemies and such. I'm guessing there will be small wrinkles like that later, but I'm still very early.

The stage design and layout is really, really competent. Nothing overstays its welcome and the screens are packed and tight. There's little ideas in almost every room/screen. There's even evidence of wrap-arounds and shortcuts. The first major dungeon boss was really exceptional too, in my opinion. I feel like I try/play so many of these "throwback" games and hardly ever do they nail what was so good about the classics. I feel like this game gets it though. At first glance this game can feel/look like tribute games, but from the little I've played, it's pretty genuine. Maybe it all falls apart later, I don't know. I'm headed to the second major area, I think, and it's still smooth sailing. Really good stuff here.

Mendoza

I hadn't noticed the Zelda 3 effects, but I guess I haven't been as in tuned while I've been playing. Which effect did it steal?

When you hit a boss and when you die. It's not enough to sour me on a game completely, but it takes me out of it when I hear distinct sounds from a game I know all too well.

But you seem to really be enjoying it, so I'll definitely give it a chance when I free up some of my backlog. I'm going to be checking up on Lets Plays for the later portions of the game, to see where the mechanics go.

Yuterald

When you hit a boss and when you die. It's not enough to sour me on a game completely, but it takes me out of it when I hear distinct sounds from a game I know all too well.

But you seem to really be enjoying it, so I'll definitely give it a chance when I free up some of my backlog. I'm going to be checking up on Lets Plays for the later portions of the game, to see where the mechanics go.

Ah, I see. That's a shame. I hear ya' in that regard. The last thing I want to feel when I'm playing an "indie" game is that sense of it being nothing more than a tribute game. There are plenty of small projects out there that lack their own identity and feel more fan-made than anything and that's always an immediate turn-off, for me at least. Got burned on a few games recently because of those transparencies, so I feel like I've developed an eye for genuine efforts.

Sucks there's no demo (or at least I'm unaware of one). The game clicked for me when I cleared the first major dungeon. Might be one of those games where you gotta sit with it for a bit to get a feel for all the little nuances and such.

Yuterald

So, this game is really, really good. I've got about 6 hours on it and it keeps getting better and better. I cannot stress just how competent and well designed the mapping is. This game presents some of the best usages of wrap-around/shortcuts I've ever seen. The map is so unbelievably interconnected and it's clearly woven together which such care and detail. If you're the type of person who's brain triggers when you find/create a shortcut with a new item/tool then you'll be enamored by the design philosophies and competencies at play here.

To touch on the combat: While it's definitely simple, there's a few unsuspecting layers to the core mechanics. Like I've mentioned before, the player receives a tornado spell in the first dungeon and it can cause various effects to multiple enemy types (stunning some while outright killing others). What's even more impressive is the fact that these spells/tools are continuously used throughout the game in unique ways. For example, the tornado spell can be used to pull jars towards the player as well. In the second dungeon, there was a jar on an out-of-reach platform that held a key in order to progress, so the player must use the tornado in order to pull the jar off its ledge. It's a simple idea, but very effective.

As was discussed above, there are a few suspect items tucked away in this little gem. While there's nothing wrong with being inspired by the classics, sometimes developers can be a little too transparent in the process. The second dungeon literally houses the Super Mario Bros. I rotating fireball traps. Seriously, it looks like the dev completely ripped the actual asset from the source material. This is incredibly off-putting to me, as it should be. Can I claim that it's literally the same asset from the Nintendo classic? I don't know, but it sure as hell looks like it. There's even a few enemy types that clearly resemble particular monsters from Zelda's bestiary a little too closely. Again, this doesn't exactly make or break the game (especially considering how well the game does in other areas), but it's certainly an inarguable blemish on what could have been an entirely genuine experience.

As with most games these days (especially from small-sized/inexperienced teams), there's always going to be bugs/glitches in its early days. Surprisingly, the game's mostly polished and bug-free, but there have been reports of the game crashing at various points. The developer is somewhat active on the Steam forums and he's taking note of bugs to fix for the next patch, whenever that will be. The game is beatable and has been beaten, so there's at least that to take into consideration!

At the second main dungeon. Can't really recommend this until the developer fixes some design issues.

* Bombs are limited, and if you run out, you have to trek ALL the way back to a cave near the beginning just to restock, 2 at a time. Leave the screen, grab two more bombs, rinse repeat.

* Controller support is limited (D-pad only).

* No explanation for items and how they work.

* It's easy to find yourself taking a one-way shortcut, only to find (oops ...LOL!) you don't have the ability to take shortcut back because you haven't picked up X item. Imagine taking an elevator in Metroid from Norfair to the surface, only to discover the elevator only goes up and you need to go back through Crateria and Brinstar all over again.

If you don't mind repeating sections of the game over and over and over again, this might be up your alley. That said, even with its flaws and ripping off tons of enemies from Zelda and Mario, the game has compelling quality that entices you back for one more go.

It'll be interesting to see how the dev addresses the issues that have been brought up on Steam.

Nabs

This game is massive. I'm 11 hours in and I'm not sure when this thing is going to end. I'm having trouble putting this thing down.

At the second main dungeon. Can't really recommend this until the developer fixes some design issues.

* Bombs are limited, and if you run out, you have to trek ALL the way back to a cave near the beginning just to restock, 2 at a time. Leave the screen, grab two more bombs, rinse repeat.

Luckily, the two bomb bag upgrades are pretty easy to find early on (8/16). You'll also be able to refill your bombs at a merchant after the next area.

I just finished the dungeon where you get the tornado power and I'm amazed by the size of the world map. I like the way tge game doesn't hold your hand, I finished the dungeon without getting the shield to protect you from the projectiles.

Nice to read opinions saying the game is packed with content.

After the dungeon where I get the tornado power, where am I supposed to go? I already bought the candle but some dungeons seems to need a double jump ability to reach higher places even if I was turning the snails upside down and use them as platforms.

flowsnake

After the dungeon where I get the tornado power, where am I supposed to go? I already bought the candle but some dungeons seems to need a double jump ability to reach higher places even if I was turning the snails upside down and use them as platforms.

You should be able to get the bombs from one of the caves now.

Nabs

That first dungeon with the snail shells does not require the double jump. I think jump height might be tied to framerate, are you having any performance issues?

Yuterald

* It's easy to find yourself taking a one-way shortcut, only to find (oops ...LOL!) you don't have the ability to take shortcut back because you haven't picked up X item. Imagine taking an elevator in Metroid from Norfair to the surface, only to discover the elevator only goes up and you need to go back through Crateria and Brinstar all over again.

If you don't mind repeating sections of the game over and over and over again, this might be up your alley. That said, even with its flaws and ripping off tons of enemies from Zelda and Mario, the game has compelling quality that entices you back for one more go.

It'll be interesting to see how the dev addresses the issues that have been brought up on Steam.

Yeah, are you talking about the higher/elevated area in the desert after the sub-dungeon on the way to the main dungeon? I did the same thing, I walked right off (through) the cliff back down to the surface below and had to trek my way back through the previous area. Definitely a case of perspective issues. The guy should have just made the edge of the map an invisible wall or whatever. Other than that instance, the game is very intelligently designed. The further you play the more you'll discover just how competently designed the mapping is.

I'll play more this weekend, but I think I'm almost half way through at this point. Game is definitely beefy!

flowsnake

I find the levelling system in this game really frustrating and unsatisfying. You lose a lot of EXP when you die (which happens a lot the first time through an area) and there's no bloodstain-like system to regain it. Bosses seemingly give you no EXP, and levelling up just feels very slow.

I think I'm done after the third dungeon. Pretty fun game in its way, but I don't feel the need to play more.

Nabs

My post from the Indie Games thread:

I'm approaching hour 20 of Elliot Quest. It's clearly doing something right, because I'm rarely hooked on a game like this.

Pro tip: Keep notes. Old school, NES-style notes. There are a lot of locked doors with certain requirements that you may forget once you collect them. Just write those down and it'll make things a lot easier.

Also: Don't be afraid to try stuff. Don't assume you're underpowered, or missing an item when you reach a roadblock. There are a lot of good puzzles that are just there waiting to be solved.

Keep notes. It really helps.

I find the levelling system in this game really frustrating and unsatisfying. You lose a lot of EXP when you die (which happens a lot the first time through an area) and there's no bloodstain-like system to regain it. Bosses seemingly give you no EXP, and levelling up just feels very slow.

I think I'm done after the third dungeon. Pretty fun game in its way, but I don't feel the need to play more.

While losing XP is rough, it's really not that important early on. The most important thing is to explore and find hearts and vases for mana. Then you can run around with your tornado and avoid hits like a pro. It'll also become easier to hold onto your XP once you have more hearts to spare.

Currently the game has a bug where you can buy the upgrade to the bomb bag more than it's supposed.

Also I just rage quit on the second desert dungeon, stupid miscalculated jump and I landed on a enemy.

The secret items reduce exp loss on death. I found 2 fairly early and that helped a lot.

Yuterald

Up to the second to last dungeon. Will probably finish tomorrow. Game's still pretty rad. It continues to impress me with it's wrap-around design and shortcuts. The mapping is exceptional.

There was a patch yesterday

Elliot Quest been online for a week now and been listening to players feedback all this time.

I made a major update addressing most of the critical issues and suggested improvements:

• Added fullscreen option in the settings
  • Added possibility to toggle gamepad by pressing "G" in keyboard
  • Added warning message to prevent overwriting saved data on new game
  • Fixed Coliseum issues
  • Fixed unlimited bomb bags for sale glitch
  • Fixed camera focus lost on activating pedestals with statues
  • Player will die if squashed by doors now
  • Run faster perk is now working correctly
  • Level cap to 20 is fixed now
  • Fixed unreachable ladder in the caves bug
  • You cannot fall accidentally at the dessert cliff in the map
  • Balanced extreme mode difficulty
  • Fixed Dead ends for waterfalls
  • Added more random encounter

Yuterald

There was a patch yesterday

Elliot Quest been online for a week now and been listening to players feedback all this time.

I made a major update addressing most of the critical issues and suggested improvements:

• Added fullscreen option in the settings
  • Added possibility to toggle gamepad by pressing "G" in keyboard
  • Added warning message to prevent overwriting saved data on new game
  • Fixed Coliseum issues
  • Fixed unlimited bomb bags for sale glitch
  • Fixed camera focus lost on activating pedestals with statues
  • Player will die if squashed by doors now
  • Run faster perk is now working correctly
  • Level cap to 20 is fixed now
  • Fixed unreachable ladder in the caves bug
  • You cannot fall accidentally at the dessert cliff in the map
  • Balanced extreme mode difficulty
  • Fixed Dead ends for waterfalls
  • Added more random encounter

Whoa, good stuff!

Yuterald

Just finished! Really cool game. Took me about 12 hours according to my Steam profile. I still have an ass-ton of secrets and side content to discover though. According to a buddy of mine who's seen all the end-game content, there's like roughly 35% of the game that's completely optional.

Nabs

Just finished! Really cool game. Took me about 12 hours according to my Steam profile. I still have an ass-ton of secrets and side content to discover though. According to a buddy of mine who's seen all the end-game content, there's like roughly 35% of the game that's completely optional.

Tons and tons of secrets. I'm actually going for the secret bosses right now, so I'm probably going to finish this game around the 25 hour mark. 2 down and 2 more to find.

I'm kind of shocked you were able to finish the game so soon.

Yuterald

Tons and tons of secrets. I'm actually going for the secret bosses right now, so I'm probably going to finish this game around the 25 hour mark. 2 down and 2 more to find.

I'm kind of shocked you were able to finish the game so soon.

Yeah, I wouldn't even say I was rushing or anything either. I even exited the final dungeon once I had access to the final boss to re-explore areas with all of my upgrades and such. I only have 5 crystals at the moment, so I'm assuming I need to find some more of the well hidden ones to access the secret bosses. I'm really quite surprised by how much content there is here.

Nabs

Yeah, I wouldn't even say I was rushing or anything either. I even exited the final dungeon once I had access to the final boss to re-explore areas with all of my upgrades and such. I only have 5 crystals at the moment, so I'm assuming I need to find some more of the well hidden ones to access the secret bosses. I'm really quite surprised by how much content there is here.

Ahh. That explains things. I spent a good amount of time tracking down all 11 crystals. A good portion of the game is hidden behind those 7-11 crystal doors.

Yuterald

Sitting at 17 hours logged, 1 secret boss remaining and 1 crystal/gem left to find. I feel like I've been everywhere! The secret bosses were good so far though. They made use of your tools/spells in interesting ways. Good stuff. This game is way bigger than I would have ever guessed.

Yuterald

So, it looks like I can't fully complete the end-game, optional content due to my alignment. Warning for those looking to see all there is to see (which includes unlocking the New Game+). Don't become evil-aligned, like, ever. I'm done with the game for now. I'll replay it and go for 100% when the Wii U version drops next year.

Game looks great. I will buy it today. Quick question for a new PC gamer: Does the creator get more of the money if I buy it through a humble widget? If so, does it still come with the steam key and everything?

Game looks great. I will buy it today. Quick question for a new PC gamer: Does the creator get more of the money if I buy it through a humble widget? If so, does it still come with the steam key and everything?

I believe Humble takes a 10% cut instead of the 30% steam and other stores get, yes it usually comes with a Steam Key.

Yuterald

I'm sure some of you have noticed, but the developer definitely had a huge boner for the SNES-era. There's a ton of references to other games, specifically Squaresoft's early days. Here are some that I found:

Pictures of the following games/scenes hanging on walls in buildings:
-FFVI's airship in the World of Ruin
-Secret of Mana's title screen
-A picture of what would have been the Master Sword from A Link to the Past, resting on its mantle in the woods, but instead the guy replaced the sword with a bow (as Elliot uses a bow, duh)
-A cliff scene from FFVI? (unsure about this one)

There is also a buster sword in the blacksmith/equipment shop standing up on a rack. I feel like there were other references, but I can't recall them at the moment.

I love this game! Really shocked that more people aren't buying it. :(

$9.99 direct from the developer's site.

Indy game, no marketing, released during the worst time of the year (specifically launched around Halo's MCC date, I believe). First game from an unknown, small-time studio/developer with really no pedigree/history to refer to. Game's popularity will probably spread by word of mouth once some sort of Steam sale hits.

bede-x

I love this game! Really shocked that more people aren't buying it. :(

$9.99 direct from the developer's site.

There's a lot of big games with much more marketing + a tons of sales on every system that people are busy with, so it's understandable, but I bought it yesterday because of this thread. A few hours in I like it already, except for the horrible XP system that's unnecessesarily punishing and completely out of place with the rest of the game. Let's have grinding because everything has grinding and make it like Dark Souls (without the possibility of recovery), because that was good? Removing the loss of points when dying and raising the cost of every level would have been better, if it really needed to be in the game at all.

bede-x

And I'm done, at least with main story, now to check out those pesky crystal doors. As have already been said in this thread this comes highly recommended if you're a fan of Zelda II and don't mind the blatant copy cat design, though they do take it too far at times, with either enemy movement or artwork that looks so similar that it could almost be stolen. It's not just Iron Knuckle that seems familiar. Phanto, Thwomp and many others are ripped straight from their respective Nintendo titles.

That said, while it definitely borrows a lot - which seems to have been the mission statement in the original Kickstarter - the rest of the game is very well put together. I was particularly impressed with the Zelda-esque puzzles that even when they tread familiar ground, still manage to come together convincingly enough to make you sit with a smile on your face, when you solve them. There's a lot of them, since this is quite a meaty game that could easily take 20 hours to complete or possible more depending on how long you're stuck in any given place. Unlike modern games with their quest markers and guided design, this doesn't hold your hand. You have to figure out where to go and how stuff works on your own, which is not just refreshing but also unusual and a little brave, considering how many players will be scared away from a game like that these days. And it's not just poor design, it's deliberate, something you have no doubt about when you see how well the rest of the game is put together.

Whoever did the music also deserves a nod for the fitting soundtrack that's already ingrained forever in my mind :)

Once the developers are finally done with Elliot Quest - there's a few things that needs patching (specifically the places you can get stuck!) - I want to see them do something of their own. They're clearly capable and who knows how far they can take it when they are not just following Nintendo's footsteps.

KooopaKid

Banned
Waiting for a release on Wii U or 3DS. Seems good if a bit too familiar. Shovel Knight strangely didn't have this problem.
That Zelda ALTTP sound effect, come on now!

How do I open the blue chests? I haven't found any ability or item that allowed me so far. I already got the tornado, the fireball, the wings and the strength necklace.

How do I open the blue chests? I haven't found any ability or item that allowed me so far. I already got the tornado, the fireball, the wings and the strength necklace.

I had trouble with this too. If you've got the double jump ability, you can find it in a cave in the desert.

BTW, the game has gotten, much, much better. =)

I've completed the four temples, and collected 5 crystals. Should I be heading through the
warp to the red forest at this point
, or do all the sidequests first?

bede-x

I've completed the four temples, and collected 5 crystals. Should I be heading through the
warp to the red forest at this point
, or do all the sidequests first?

That depends:
Do you want to move towards the end of the game or are you a completionist. Do be warned though that some of the side quest bosses are quite a lot tougher than what you meet during the regular game, so maybe going through the game first and continue playing sidequests afterwards, where you've gotten the items/XP you get from the last area, is advisable.

Yuterald

And I'm done, at least with main story, now to check out those pesky crystal doors. As have already been said in this thread this comes highly recommended if you're a fan of Zelda II and don't mind the blatant copy cat design, though they do take it too far at times, with either enemy movement or artwork that looks so similar that it could almost be stolen. It's not just Iron Knuckle that seems familiar. Phanto, Thwomp and many others are ripped straight from their respective Nintendo titles.

That said, while it definitely borrows a lot - which seems to have been the mission statement in the original Kickstarter - the rest of the game is very well put together. I was particularly impressed with the Zelda-esque puzzles that even when they tread familiar ground, still manage to come together convincingly enough to make you sit with a smile on your face, when you solve them. There's a lot of them, since this is quite a meaty game that could easily take 20 hours to complete or possible more depending on how long you're stuck in any given place. Unlike modern games with their quest markers and guided design, this doesn't hold your hand. You have to figure out where to go and how stuff works on your own, which is not just refreshing but also unusual and a little brave, considering how many players will be scared away from a game like that these days. And it's not just poor design, it's deliberate, something you have no doubt about when you see how well the rest of the game is put together.

Whoever did the music also deserves a nod for the fitting soundtrack that's already ingrained forever in my mind :)

Once the developers are finally done with Elliot Quest - there's a few things that needs patching (specifically the places you can get stuck!) - I want to see them do something of their own. They're clearly capable and who knows how far they can take it when they are not just following Nintendo's footsteps.

Yeah, I've had time to digest the game over the past few weeks and I more or less share your sentiments.

Top Bottom