• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno: What Happened?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Hell is suppose to be a place that scares you; not just something to blow off. I'd like to see hell reimagined in games (DOOM) more often.

EA really hit the marketing hard, but it's like the door closed a year or two after it launched. Last gen got downsized faster than the PS2/XBOX/GC gen did.

Fun sort of middle of the road game. Visceral is a talented developer, so there's a lot of good moments and nice details.

I don't however see it as underrated, it was properly rated.

It was a fun game but a little bit conservative. Didn't really break any new ground.

It gets too much criticism. I for one, was excited for a sequel.

hwalker84

I enjoyed the game tremendously!

I loved the setting, and I found it to be a much more fun game than GoW3 at the time.

I like it more than God of War, would have liked to see a sequel.

I loved it, so here I am still waiting for a sequel!

Nothing went wrong, it's a damn good game.

Unique level design, unique bosses, good combat engine, Virgil expositions. Damn good game, shame EA decided not to pursue it as a series.

I thought it was great, so what happened for me was that I played a great game.

Agreed 100%

psychotron

Loved the game from start to finish. People bitched about the end being too hard but I breezed right through. Wish there was a sequel.

It got worse as the game progressed, started off so strongly as well.

I finished it though, and that was during a period when I didn't finish many games.

Superflat

I was excited until I played the demo. When I realized I barely wanted to finish that I decided against picking it up.

Watched some cinematics via some game streamers and maaaaaaaan.

I really liked this game and wished the series continued, though not sure how Purgatory and more specifically Paradise would have worked.

That being said, isn't the vast majority of the studio (or at least the heads) making Advanced Warfare for Activision?

Would love a next gen sequel (and god willing a next gen Darksiders 3...).

As for the dick physics, the documentary was funny. Apparently it was something with the cloth physics. One day the developer made it as long as possible to see if the team would react.

Driw3r

Unconfirmed Member
Decent game, not awesome but not bad either. Haven't played GoW games so i can't compare. Would definetely play sequel.

Some day, i would like to read that first canticle (Inferno) of Divine Comedy. I've always found it's very interesting since i first heard about it.

They took a good idea and made a below average action game out of it.

Final boss Satan's huge dick is more memorable than any of the combat scenarios.

Well, I was just reading the thread and was ready to state that, although I didn't bought the game, the demo gave me some good impressions and I would be interested to see a sequel.. but then the discussion shifted to Satan's penis wtf is this game lol

kungfuian

I remember combat feeling much lighter/less weighty that GOW; it might have been something like differences in collision detection, amount of rumble, or slicing sound effects or something; but overall I'd say it feels less 'Visceral' than GOW.

I did beat the game and really enjoyed it though. From a design and art perspective it's really good.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I remember the hype for this game being immense. It had its own Superbowl add, and Visceral seemed to be doing everything to drum up publicity, like the blank checks sent out, and the "lust girls" and E3.

I also remember playing the demo and realizing that it was not only a shameless GoW clone, but also an insult to a classic peace of literature.

Glad that it didn't get a sequel.

I never played it, but I heard it runs at 60fps.

Is that true? If so, that's pretty cool.

Yup - it ran at 60fps locked on both 360 and PS3 while using the Dead Space engine. It was a super feat at the time, but definitely limited the number of enemies and what could go on in the level backgrounds. Also very few people gave a crap that it was solid 60 back then ;)

Disclaimer: I was a combat designer on Dante's Inferno and its DLC Trials of St. Lucia (anyone play that?) It was the first shipping game I worked on and really liked the team, but I definitely have mixed feelings about how the project turned out.

Also! Check out Tal's Dante's Redemption short-in-progress. It's amazing!

http://www.tp-artwork.com/#!dantes-redemption/c1otn

Yeah, I loved the game. Was it a God of War clone? Sure. But that's exactly what I was into at the time and it delivered a good game. I'll be returning again soon to get the rest of the Virgil Commentaries for the Platinum Trophy.

Apdiddy

I proudly have the Platinum for Dante's Inferno even though it is incredibly easy to obtain.

The last several levels though -- yeech.

Monocle

I was turned off by the combat's lack of impact and depth. If you're going to copy God of War, you should at least be sure your combat has a similar sense of weight, and you should go to some lengths to improve the overall formula. Dante's Inferno just screams trashy knockoff, despite the obvious care and craft that went into its presentation.

Also, the title character's design is not great.

Let's never talk about how the game fares as an adaptation.

I remember Brad Shoemaker talking on the Giant Bombcast about how the developers actually had the nerve to leave the CliffNotes to the original poem on journalists seats during a press event, as if that helped you understand this perfect adaptation.

Also, didn't EA send out blank checks to reviewers to test their level of greed? Like, ones you could actually cash in.

Edit: They sure did.
So lame. Which reminds me, this game's promo stunts were incredibly unfortunate. I felt embarrassed for everyone involved.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Had some great environmental design until the last 1/3 or so of the game then they just got lazy. It was a cheap, dumb game but I had my fun with it and got my moneys worth. Although thinking back it made me think would Visceral start making more IPs and being one of EAs best studios? Seems they fell hard after DS3.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I was turned off by the combat's lack of impact and depth. If you're going to copy God of War, you should at least be sure your combat has a similar sense of weight, and you should go to some lengths to improve the overall formula. Dante's Inferno just screams trashy knockoff, despite the obvious care and craft that went into its presentation.

Also, the title character's design is not great.

Let's never talk about how the game fares as an adaptation.

So lame. Which reminds me, this game's promo stunts were incredibly unfortunate. I felt embarrassed for everyone involved.

I agree, its the only part of the game's release that I remember. Really a low point in the history of video game advertising (and that's really saying something)...

scitek

I feel like I remember it being pretty fun to play, but nothing spectacular as far as the grandiose presentation that really sets God of War apart. I also remember it being extremely solid technically, rarely dropping from 60fps, and being vsync'd, is that right?

I remember the developers bragging about how they were using a lot of already-existing art based on the Divine Comedy as source material.

So we have a game that uses public-domain literature (badly) as a skeleton for the plot, someone else's art, and someone else's combat system and game design.

It's a game designed to allow the developers to avoid having to make creative decisions or come up with original ideas. It's not really any surprise that it was a failure. If anything, it casts doubts on Dead Space's otherwise lovely space-horror pastiche/homage to other works in the genre.

DevilFox

What happened? Forgotten in the deepest circle of hell, if I'm lucky enough.
No really, Dante's Divine Comedy is an epic poem with outstanding characters, stories, it's full of details too but what they did with it it's the worst thing I could imagine, sorry, just bad taste.
I'm open to another try but please throw away everything about Dante's Inferno.

Cardon

I actually watched some footage of Dante's Inferno for a work project since I haven't played the game since it first came out, and I forgot about how solid certain aspects were. The acting is pretty damn great, there are some nice stylistic choices, and the combat was rather serviceable.

Shame we never got to see a follow-up of some kind merely to see how Visceral would've expanded on the core concepts offered in the first game.

MG310

I thought it was a fine game but strangely enough the deeper you got into hell the less interesting the levels became.

Especially that area near the end where it's all..

1. Here's a statue representing a sin
2. Have an arena fight
3. Climb through a generic cave
4. Repeat.

..and then some isometric ice walking.

drotahorror

same thing as castlevania LOS. tries to be god of war but just not as good as god of war.

You realize there were Castlevania games that came out before GoW that were hack n slash/action adventure/spectacle fighter etc?

Anyways, I thought Dante's Inferno was pretty solid. I didn't beat it though because the last boss stomped me.

TheMoon

That being said, isn't the vast majority of the studio (or at least the heads) making Advanced Warfare for Activision?

Glen Schofield is the one from Visceral (was VP and GM) who left and founded Sledgehammer Games. He left right after Dead Space 1 so he doesn't really have anything to do with this game and anything else really.

Top Bottom