• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Game Recommendations/Condemnations | Thread 2 | Two screens, three dimensions!

I'm about to buy a 3DS and I know that I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm going to start with two games (which is fucking hard). One of them needs to be an RPG, the other one can be something else - or an RPG as well.

The list:

Virtues Last Reward
Bravely Default
Kid Icarus
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Fire Emblem
Shovel Knight
Zelda: OoT
Zelda: ALBW
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

What do you guys think I should buy first? The choice between the RPGs is hard. Bravely Default looks very charming and I love exploring towns. Fire Emblem combat system looks a bit overwhelming, but it has great characters?

vareon

I'm about to buy a 3DS and I know that I have a lot of catching up to do. I'm going to start with two games (which is fucking hard). One of them needs to be an RPG, the other one can be something else - or an RPG as well.

The list:

Virtues Last Reward
Bravely Default
Kid Icarus
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Fire Emblem
Shovel Knight

What do you guys think I should buy first? The choice between the RPGs is hard. Bravely Default looks very charming and I love exploring towns. Fire Emblem combat system looks a bit overwhelming, but it has great characters?

You can't go wrong with either, both are amazing games.

I would suggest Kid Icarus: Uprising as your second. Just keep an open mind in learning the control scheme, it works great.

The list:

Virtues Last Reward
Bravely Default
Kid Icarus
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Fire Emblem
Shovel Knight

My vote would be Zelda ALBW and Fire Emblem followed by Kid Icarus and Bravely Default but all of the above are fantastic games.

I vote for 999 and Ocarina of Time. 999 is pretty short after your first playthrough because you get to fast forward things you already read through.

Ocarina is freaking Ocarina of time. Play it, savor it. It'll be over soon and you'll love it.

The list:

Virtues Last Reward
Bravely Default
Kid Icarus
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Fire Emblem
Shovel Knight

oh no, you will not get an RPG. You will get 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, play them both, have your mind blown and then come back here to thank me.

Elija2

The list:

Virtues Last Reward
Bravely Default
Kid Icarus
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Fire Emblem
Shovel Knight

The Fire Emblem combat system isn't overwhelming at all. I'd recommend that and 999 (unless you want a game with replayability, then I'd recommend Kid Icarus or ALBW).

maxcriden

The list:

Virtues Last Reward
Bravely Default
Kid Icarus
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Fire Emblem
Shovel Knight

If you've never played OOT, make sure that's one of your games. If you have, and love Zeldas, choose LBW. If you're not a massive Zelda fan, go for Kid Icarus, which is astonishingly good. Shovel Knight you're just going to need to find a way to get in addition to the two other games, it's cheaper than the others anyways! :)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

The list:

Virtues Last Reward
Bravely Default
Kid Icarus
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Fire Emblem
Shovel Knight

SMT IV and Fire Emblem Awakening are some of the best games on the system, so I'd go with those. FE:A has great characters and the combat system is fairly easy once you actually start to play the game and get used to it.

You can't go wrong with either, both are amazing games.

I would suggest Kid Icarus: Uprising as your second. Just keep an open mind in learning the control scheme, it works great.

My vote would be Zelda ALBW and Fire Emblem followed by Kid Icarus and Bravely Default but all of the above are fantastic games.

I vote for 999 and Ocarina of Time. 999 is pretty short after your first playthrough because you get to fast forward things you already read through.

Ocarina is freaking Ocarina of time. Play it, savor it. It'll be over soon and you'll love it.

There you go. You simply can't not buy Shovel Knight.

oh no, you will not get an RPG. You will get 999 and Virtue's Last Reward, play them both, have your mind blown and then come back here to thank me.

The Fire Emblem combat system isn't overwhelming at all. I'd recommend that and 999 (unless you want a game with replayability, then I'd recommend Kid Icarus or ALBW).

Shovel Knight is cheap so get all 3 of these. ALBW is sensational, FE was my first game in the series and I loved it (not overwhelming, you can use Casual mode too which removes character perma-death).

If you've never played OOT, make sure that's one of your games. If you have, and love Zeldas, choose LBW. If you're not a massive Zelda fan, go for Kid Icarus, which is astonishingly good. Shovel Knight you're just going to need to find a way to get in addition to the two other games, it's cheaper than the others anyways! :)

SMT IV and Fire Emblem Awakening are some of the best games on the system, so I'd go with those. FE:A has great characters and the combat system is fairly easy once you actually start to play the game and get used to it.

Thanks a lot for your input, guys!

I'm going with Ocarina of Time (since I haven't played this one yet) and Fire Emblem, since you guys sold me on that. Shovel Knight will also be purchased since it seems to be cheap!

Can't wait to jump into this system.

Aww yiss, I found a used copy of Kid Icarus Uprising today. It seems to be selling around 35 dollars and up everywhere online so I grabbed it. Seems like a sweet game so far. I'm liking how it plays like Metroid Prime Hunters. Same pain to play.

batrush

I'm going with Ocarina of Time (since I haven't played this one yet) and Fire Emblem, since you guys sold me on that. Shovel Knight will also be purchased since it seems to be cheap!

Enjoy, those were the same two games I first purchased when I bought my XL. Two of the best games you'll ever play.

maxcriden

Aww yiss, I found a used copy of Kid Icarus Uprising today. It seems to be selling around 35 dollars and up everywhere online so I grabbed it. Seems like a sweet game so far. I'm liking how it plays like Metroid Prime Hunters. Same pain to play.

Amazing game. Hope you dig it and get to try the online as well. Avoid spoilers!

Glad to hear it! OoT is the right choice since you've never played it before (and 3DS is the best version of it). I just assumed everyone in the world has already played OoT, haha...

Galdelico

Hey guys, I'm torn between Nano Assault Ex (3DS) and Hotline Miami (PS3).
Maybe someone who played them both can suggest me which one has the better value...

Nano Assault Ex looks amazing and it kinda reminds me of Super Stardust (a massive plus in my book) but I don't have a Circle Pad Pro so I'm not sure how well I would feel the game with a standard XL.

VLiberty

Hey guys, I'm torn between Nano Assault Ex (3DS) and Hotline Miami (PS3).
Maybe someone who played them both can suggest me which one has the better value...

Nano Assault Ex looks amazing and it kinda reminds me of Super Stardust (a massive plus in my book) but I don't have a Circle Pad Pro so I'm not sure how well I would feel the game with a standard XL.

I don't know how Nano Assault is, but if you've never played Hotline Miami then you must get it

I have bad control over myself. I bought animal crossing new leaf even though I was never a giant ac fan. I have played the GC and WW games but it still wasn't enough to convince me. I guess I just wanted something else retail to take up some space in my new bigger SD card.

Smash Bros hurry up man.

Ok, going to shill a game I've been playing lately and one I don't think gets enough praise.

NfO2CrH.jpg1

Kirby Triple Deluxe | Click here for OT |
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Genre: Adventure / Platformer
Price: $34.99/€39.99/£34.99

(Corporate description):
Pink? Check. Puffy? Check. Powerful? You have no idea. Devour trees, obstacles, and huge chunks of stages with Kirby’s Hypernova ability and inhale enemies to copy epic new moves like Archer. It’s a grand new Kirby adventure PLUS a new multiplayer battle mode, Kirby Fighters!

When a mysterious being kidnaps King Dedede atop a giant Dreamstalk, only Kirby can save the day! Jump from the foreground to the background in dynamic 3D side-scrolling environments while using new and returning copy abilities to defeat enemies. Duke it out in Kirby Fighters, a fierce 4-player* battle mode where you fight using a chosen ability like Sword or Ninja. The last Kirby standing reigns supreme. Whether you’re new to Kirby or an old fan, the Kirby: Triple Deluxe game offers a triple threat—action, adventure, and a battle mode.

Ok, enough of the corporate speak, which I only included in case the author of this thread wanted to add it to the OP.

Here's the thing. I know the Kirby games are considered a bit easy for most hardcore platformer fans, but I've never been particularly skilled in the genre so naturally I'm attracted to this game. But I'm mostly able to enjoy it because it's so damn cute and charming. I love the art direction and I love the power ups. Early on you run into one which allows Kirby to suck up entire trees (and pretty much everything else around him). Again, it doesn't require much skill, but it put a smile on my face.

I think another reason why this title may have suffered a bit is it released the same day as Mario Golf, not to mention there have been a LOT of Kirby games to come out in recent years. I have a feeling a lot of people thought, "Oh, they released another Kirby? Ok, I guess" and went along their merry way.

Triple Deluxe doesn't try to reinvent the Kirby wheel. It doesn't do anything particularly flashy or provide anything new to single itself out from the crowd. But it's just a good old classic Kirby game, and I personally think it's fantastic.

greg400

Banned
So what's the consensus on Star Fox 64 3D? Is it $40 worth of improvement over the N64 version? I'm debating between getting the 3DS version or the virtual console version (from Club Nintendo) and was wondering if there's anything that's as different as the changes they made to the water temple in OoT 3D.

maxcriden

So what's the consensus on Star Fox 64 3D? Is it $40 worth of improvement over the N64 version? I'm debating between getting the 3DS version or the virtual console version (from Club Nintendo) and was wondering if there's anything that's as different as the changes they made to the water temple in OoT 3D.

I'm not sure as I haven't played either, but if you are interested in it, you might want to call your local Toys'R'Us because I know not too long ago they were doing clearance on this and some other games.

Khaz

Probably not. SEGA's shown absolutely no interest in bringing over the second lot.

We just don't know that. We had no communication at all about the first 8 3D classics until like a month prior their western release, when they sold everything in a month, two new games per week. I'm assuming they will do the same for the next games, wait a bit until they have enough of them then release them all without warning.

I wouldn't expect them before autumn next year though.

Jedi2016

All this talk about the new systems makes me want to pick up my 3DS again, I barely touch it anymore.

What would you guys recommend for something I can play in short bursts? I hate the use the word "casual", but something I wouldn't need to really invest hours and hours into, just to play something before I go to bed or whatever, maybe in half-hour blocks. Puzzle games, maybe, platformers, etc? I've already got Zelda (both of them), Pilotwings, and Pokemon (I know, I know.. huge library). Mario seems like it could be a good fit, I gather 3D Land is the better of them?

Yeah Mario 3D land is pretty good. The levels are short and there's a ton of content if you take your time. I rushed and played until I beat it 100 percent. Took me 25 hours just about. I'd say it's worth it if you play in short bursts.

ricki42

I haven't played the original so I can't speak to any changes. I don't think any content has been added; the game is really short, less than 2 hours.
The 3DS version has tilt controls and -obviously- 3D. I ended up using neither. Tilt combined with 3D doesn't work, at least for me, since the viewing angle is too small. But I usually have 3D turned off anyway. And the normal controls just felt better.
While the actual gameplay is fun, I just think $40 for such a short game is too much. I got it for ~$25 on sale, and think that's still a bit on the expensive side, though I can see myself replaying it at some point.

Khaz

All this talk about the new systems makes me want to pick up my 3DS again, I barely touch it anymore.

What would you guys recommend for something I can play in short bursts? I hate the use the word "casual", but something I wouldn't need to really invest hours and hours into, just to play something before I go to bed or whatever, maybe in half-hour blocks. Puzzle games, maybe, platformers, etc? I've already got Zelda (both of them), Pilotwings, and Pokemon (I know, I know.. huge library). Mario seems like it could be a good fit, I gather 3D Land is the better of them?

Animal Crossing.

Whats the biggest/best SDCard that I can get for the 3DS, and how easy is it to transfer my eShop downloads? I'm running out of space on this puppy.

Ondore

If you format the card FAT32, you can get 64 or even 128GB. 32 is the highest they'll support officially.

Instructions for upgrading are here, but it boils down to:

- Put old SD card into PC and copy content off
- Put new SD card into PC and copy content on

Cool, I wasn't sure if there was going to be some sort of DRM nonsense to worry about.

Any known issues with using a larger than 32 GB card, or are they unsupported officially but totally functional?

Khaz

They’re officially unsupported because SD cards over 32GB are shipped formatted as exFAT by default for some reason
because Microsoft bullied them
. FAT32 is still good though and will be until SD cards are able to store more than 2TB.

Nobody's posted here for a while... I just thought I'd mention that Zelda: Link Between Worlds was really, really great. It was absolutely better than I expected.

Obviously, I've been playing a lot of Smash Bros. on 3DS, but I'm still finding time to play Tomodachi Life and Pushmo, too. I honestly didn't expect to still be playing them, but they're simple, addictive, and fun games.

Highly recommended!

Qasiel

I'm off for a trip next week and could do with a decent RPG of sorts to tide me over before I pick up Omega Ruby on Friday. What would you recommend? I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of Bravely Default (please bear in mind that I haven't played Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus yet, the latter because I've heard things about the controls being bad for us lefties).

Cheers!

Marz

I'm off for a trip next week and could do with a decent RPG of sorts to tide me over before I pick up Omega Ruby on Friday. What would you recommend? I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of Bravely Default (please bear in mind that I haven't played Fire Emblem or Kid Icarus yet, the latter because I've heard things about the controls being bad for us lefties).

Cheers!

Fire Emblem is so good, depending on how much you like SRPGs...it could last you months.

Qasiel

Fire Emblem is so good, depending on how much you like SRPGs...it could last you months.

I have to admit, I've never payed a Fire Emblem game before, let alone know anything much about the series - I didn't even know it was an SRPG! It looks right up my alley, though, so I reckon I'll pick it up. Thanks, Marz!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Triple Deluxe doesn't try to reinvent the Kirby wheel. It doesn't do anything particularly flashy or provide anything new to single itself out from the crowd. But it's just a good old classic Kirby game, and I personally think it's fantastic.
I think it's the best version of the Kirby Adventure template.

KemoSabe

Little threadnapping here:
I have an og 3ds and it wont turn on anymore.

Not even with the AC adaptor connected.
I even bought a new battery but that didnt helped either.

So, can throw it in the trash or is there still hope?

Top Bottom