• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Ubisoft the new top dogs when it comes to open world graphics?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
What does this evasive and completely self-focused opinion on the nature of gameplay have to do with open world graphical prowess?
It's literally a perfect example of what I talked about in previous post.

Rockstar's first true current gen game is going to blow us away

Red Dead Redemption 2 pls

yea.

Some moments in nextgen GTA V look absolutely incredible as it is. With a true nextgen engine, taking a book from the lighting in Infamous, Unity, and DriveClub. Combine that with Rockstars mindblowing finetuning and attention to detail.

The weather and daylights rhythms were impressive and ambitious in GTA V on last-gen. I get hyped thinking about what Rockstar will do for RDR2.

Jtrizzy

Every time I play this it impresses me more. GTA does have really nice ground textures and lighting, but this game is so beautiful. I'm getting totally acceptable frame rates as well

Every time I play this it impresses me more. GTA does have really nice ground textures and lighting, but this game is so beautiful. I'm getting totally acceptable frame rates as well

Seriously? I guess the lighting is ok buy nothing that hasn't been done years before, and it won't hold up long against material based lighting. But the ground textures? The fps mode is actually making a lot of textures look ps2 quality to me. It's an ok looking game but honestly I think it may just be the ugliest game I have for PS4 right now. You can really see the old gen influence on the game still and it may be one of the least impressive remasters visually.

That said FPS changes up the ways you can play and the gameplay is still fun as hell so it's gonna keep me busy until smash comes out here in the UK.

cheezcake

Far Cry 4 looks fucking stellar on PS4, I'm seriously impressed by the results of HRAA in particular. No pixel shimmering in a game with this much foliage is awesome.

Finalow

it doesn't really matter when their games have "best open world graphix" if the rest is hot garbage.

also it's a bit silly to compare GTAV with the last AC, and GTAV, for being a crossgen game, looks great.

Have they ever not be?

AC last Gen was incredible too. Minimal visual drop compared to linear corridor games (not counting cutscenes that were terribad) and did way more than those in many areas.

I don't know what you're smoking, but GTA V doesn't look anywhere near as good as Unity, it's a cross gen remaster and it tells.

If we're talking on a purely graphics standpoint (which is what this thread is about), the level of detail in Unity's environments and character models blows the other titles out of the water.

AC doesn't even quality to be compared to GTA because of scale, 900p, 20fps and no dynamic day/night cycle. It also has shit gameplay and the NPCs are a joke, but this does not belong into this thread I guess.

aerts1js

ubisoft is a shitty developer and they are only top dogs at being shitty.... Far Cry 4 looks good but its just fry cry 3 with better graphics. plus I reeeeeeeeeeeeaallllly do not understand why Assassin's Creed is still a thang.. I stopped after the first game and the only other one I got was the freedom cry dlc on steam because it was 5 bones and I just wanted a boat/ship/pirate game played it for like 5-8 hours and was done... after Unity peolpe should really wake up....

I stopped taking you seriously at "thang"

NickFire

Ubisoft as a whole no way. If they are still publishing sub 1080p games a year out there's no way they are top dogs for graphics. Individual devs within Ubi maybe though.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm starting to have a lot of confidence in next gen generally.

Dragon Age, while not being quite as impressive visually is nothing to be disappointed about, the game is mighty impressive itself.

Crossing Eden

AC doesn't even quality to be compared to GTA because of scale, 900p, 20fps and no dynamic day/night cycle. It also has shit gameplay and the NPCs are a joke, but this does not belong into this thread I guess.
Did you even play Unity? The city in AC Unity is WAY more dense than the city in GTAV. You can go through a ridiculous amount of buildings. Think it's about time for you to stop shitting up ubi threads. Especially with that 20fps hyperbole.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

You act as if GTA5 has a locked framerate.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
IDK, fromwhat I saw both versions dip below 30, and the xb1 version dipped pretty brutally in a gun fight.
Huh, interesting. I wasn't able to trigger any slowdown in the PS4 version outside of one sequence during the intro with a very minor drop. It's very consistent.

omonimo

Banned
IDK, fromwhat I saw both versions dip below 30, and the xb1 version dipped pretty brutally in a gun fight.
I though it was explained tons of times those conditions are not 'normal', when dip below 30 fps. DF has stressed the engine, probably without those test, hardly you find such dips in the normal gameplay session.

Huh, interesting. I wasn't able to trigger any slowdown in the PS4 version outside of one sequence during the intro with a very minor drop. It's very consistent.
I though it was explained tons of times those conditions are not 'normal', when dip below 30 fps. DF has stressed the engine, probably without those test, hardly you find such dips in the normal gameplay session.
I AM SO CONFUSED. Then what was the whole hubub about in the thread? When I read the article / watched the video I thought it was painting a picture of how the game was.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I AM SO CONFUSED. Then what was the whole hubub about in the thread? When I read the article / watched the video I thought it was painting a picture of how the game was.
Wait, so am I. For some reason I thought you were talking about Far Cry 4 (which is basically locked). Whoops.

Yeah, GTAV definitely has dips. Nothing significant on PS4 but it can happen occasionally.

Zelda for the Nintendo Wii U is more impressive if you concider that the Nintendo Wii U hardware is not so powerfull as the PlayStation 4 or XBox One in my opinion :)

ymgve

Unity looks great, but has way too much copy-pasting of assets. You see the same buildings repeat again and again, with the same interiors. Compare this with GTAV, where at least 80% of the buildings are unique (though only 1% of them have interiors). In addition, GTAV feels more vibrant and colorful compared to ACU. (I haven't played FC4 yet but I assume that one is twice as colorful as GTAV)

Certain things reveal the last-gen roots of GTAV, though. The majority of windows are flat low-res textures, and there are only a few buildings with fake-interiors. The realtime envmapping reflections on almost every window somewhat makes up for it, though, at least compared to games that use generic cubemaps with no relation to the actual world geometry. (Looking at you, Watch Dogs)

Doolz

Banned
GTA IV is pretty amazing modded
B12eeGpCcAAn1o0.png:large
Jesus... thought that was a real photo at first glance. My ENB GTAIV doesn't look anywhere near that good.

I'm guessing that's running on 1.0.4.0, though. I am on 1.0.7.0.

Crossing Eden

Unity looks great, but has way too much copy-pasting of assets. You see the same buildings repeat again and again, with the same interiors. Compare this with GTAV, where at least 80% of the buildings are unique (though only 1% of them have interiors). In addition, GTAV feels more vibrant and colorful compared to ACU. (I haven't played FC4 yet but I assume that one is twice as colorful as GTAV)

Certain things reveal the last-gen roots of GTAV, though. The majority of windows are flat low-res textures, and there are only a few buildings with fake-interiors. The realtime envmapping reflections on almost every window somewhat makes up for it, though, at least compared to games that use generic cubemaps with no relation to the actual world geometry. (Looking at you, Watch Dogs)
It's not copying and pasting, that's actually how France looks like.

paris-rooftops-from-wheel.jpg

12041.jpg

Crossing Eden

Yes, Ubisoft best open world graphics and it only costs you 40 frames on the second. 20 is cinematic tho
Even though the majority of their next gen game output WD, Far Cry 4, AC4, all run at a very stable 30fps? And as of right now there are no open world games that run at a perfectly stable 60fps.

Even though the majority of their next gen game output WD, Far Cry 4, AC4, all run at a very stable 30fps? And as of right now there are no open world games that run at a perfectly stable 60fps.

You could argue Diablo 3, but the point is largely sound.

And yes, I fired up Infamous again before I deleted Unity. The interiors for Unity are superior, the vistas are about equal considering scope, effects are in Infamous' side for obvious reasons (cannot run at Neon super-speed in Unity). Animation is Unity's by a clear margin.

But looking at both games, I feel it's more of what each dev team wanted--Desmond is the flashiest character with standout powers across a normalized city. AC:U is more about blending in giant crowds and scaling environments.

However, one runs much better than the other. I'm sure if there were slightly less NPCs walking around, the game would perform better, but I got my first taste of the drops in a small hallway looting a chest. I do think that now it will feel a bit weird not being able to go through buildings in other open world games.

impact

Banned

Does Ubisoft not let you play Metal Gear Solid games because of the quality difference between that and AC?

Aside from Red Dead & GTA 5, they've been on top since 2007.

Edit: Calling Ground Zeroes open world is stretching the definition of the term.

Crossing Eden

Does Ubisoft not let you play Metal Gear Solid games because of the quality difference between that and AC?
Ground Zeroes is not open world, it is one very large contained level. The Phantom Pain is open world. Btw, try adding to the discussion instead of shitposting, thanks.

Hate to be the one to say it but all your pomf links are dead.
Checking the website, apparently they should all be back by Monday. Still sucks though. (._. ) I liked the pretties.

Again, this has nothing to do with the topic, either you have reading comprehension issues or you're just a fanboy with a holier-than-thou mindset and irrational habit of shitting on AC whenever it's given praise.

This thread is about graphics, and whether you like it or not, GTA is completely outclassed by Unity when it comes to visuals, it's not even up for debate.

Heck, even the last gen ACs have great graphics that outclass GTA games.

From a technical standpoint however, I completely agree that GTA games get the most out of hardware are far more complex than AC games, but again - not what this thread is about.

Top Bottom